WGR online

I haven't started a thread in forever but I'm at my breaking point here. Does anyone else listen to a fair amount of WGR online? If you don't, you won't know what I'm talking about. But if you do, surely you also want to strangle Flo, all of those Geico girls with their stupid Dear John letters and perhaps most of all, the f***ing Grainger guy. Seriously every time I listen to one 15 minute segment, I have to then endure 5 minutes straight of the exact same commercials every single time. Often times they will repeat the same commercial in one break. I am completely losing it. I have some of these commercials memorized and I hate them. I'm beginning to miss the William C. Rott & Son commercials, that's how bad it's become. I suppose I could just close out the window or mute my computer and then guess when they're back on the air but that seems like a pain in the ass. Is there a solution to this problem that I'm not thinking of? Please help.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Question....why listen to that garbage in the first place? I know you nee you Bills fix, but really.

I listen to Kevin Sylvester and Andrew Peters most mornings when I'm getting ready in the morning (I'm on MT) and then I'll listen to Schopp and the Bulldog once or twice a week in the afternoon. I even leave on Rome sometimes over the lunch hour as I don't have a radio in my house. Oh yeah, and I listen to John Murphy from time to time as well. Please don't turn this into a thread about how much you hate Schopp and the Bulldog, this was not my intention. It's an excellent sports radio station top to bottom. Especially considering it's only a two sports town and it's like the 60th biggest market in the US. And more importantly, I'm a Buffalo ex-pat and it's a great way to keep up to speed on Buffalo sports. And the Geico guy who puts hashtags at the end of the stuff he says, I also want to kill him.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Very simple solution. I use the WGR app and listen to the podcast which has zero commercials. If using the website just go to on-demand audio. Yes you're an hour behind but you skip every commercial.

Edited by Triple Threat

I listen all the time, and have the same frustrations....but then I realize I am listening to Buffalo sports radio, in my car , through the speakers, in freaking Richmond VA.

Like thatbLouie K bit when he gets pissed on the speed of the wifi on a plane....

Very simple solution. I use the WGR app and listen to the podcast which has zero commercials. If using the website just go to on-demand audio. Yes you're an hour behind but you skip every commercial.

Dude thanks! That helps me out a ton. I will do that from now on.

I feel your pain as I listen to Howard and Jeremy live via the app on most days and deal with the commercials. Interestingly, my local Cbus sports station app doesn't play commercials at all. It's just this little tune that comes on during the commercials.

I haven't started a thread in forever but I'm at my breaking point here. Does anyone else listen to a fair amount of WGR online? If you don't, you won't know what I'm talking about. But if you do, surely you also want to strangle Flo, all of those Geico girls with their stupid Dear John letters and perhaps most of all, the f***ing Grainger guy. Seriously every time I listen to one 15 minute segment, I have to then endure 5 minutes straight of the exact same commercials every single time. Often times they will repeat the same commercial in one break. I am completely losing it. I have some of these commercials memorized and I hate them. I'm beginning to miss the William C. Rott & Son commercials, that's how bad it's become. I suppose I could just close out the window or mute my computer and then guess when they're back on the air but that seems like a pain in the ass. Is there a solution to this problem that I'm not thinking of? Please help.

This is pent up frustration against EJ Manuel isnt it!

Poor Flo

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about, and it drives me FREQKING CRAZY... you can even pause it and then restart it, and the commercials start over fresh... Why can't they just play the local commercials, not this very short playlist of horrible repeated same commercials...I HAAAAAATE FLO, AND WILL NEVER BUY GEICO because of it.

There are a couple of reasons why you hear the commercial you do. For one, all radio stations have to run separate spot breaks from what is on their air. That's because of royalties that they would owe if a union voice talent was played over their stream.

The second reason is that Entercom decided to monetize their online listening by selling ad blocks to folks like Progressive, Geico and Home Depot. They run as "ROS" spots, or "run of schedule." Basically a rotation. Since they only have a few blocks sold, those clients get repeated a lot.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Dude thanks! That helps me out a ton. I will do that from now on.

Yeah no problem. Another poster said he waits until the next day - but you don't have to - both online and the app has the previous hour available right after the next hour starts.

I listen to Kevin Sylvester and Andrew Peters most mornings when I'm getting ready in the morning (I'm on MT) and then I'll listen to Schopp and the Bulldog once or twice a week in the afternoon. I even leave on Rome sometimes over the lunch hour as I don't have a radio in my house. Oh yeah, and I listen to John Murphy from time to time as well. Please don't turn this into a thread about how much you hate Schopp and the Bulldog, this was not my intention. It's an excellent sports radio station top to bottom. Especially considering it's only a two sports town and it's like the 60th biggest market in the US. And more importantly, I'm a Buffalo ex-pat and it's a great way to keep up to speed on Buffalo sports. And the Geico guy who puts hashtags at the end of the stuff he says, I also want to kill him.

I leave it on most of the day at work and listen to 1270 for Rich Genzlers show also and that a hole flo is all over that as well. I like it because it's just there and I don't have to touch it. But more and more I'm putting Pandora on. Must be off season.

Bad, but not as bad as those damned annoying BK crosandwich commercials. I want to shoot the guy with the worst ever Jamaican accent. Sounds like a retarded leprechaun.

"Hey Bobbeeeee, you're here again!"

"Oh, I like sides..."

Anyone who listens through the app has heard this commercial for Buffalo Wild Wings

When I hear it I see Kramer saying it. Ohhhhh I like sides and then falling over the counter.

As has been stated, the on demand audio is commercial free, but you have to wait for the hour segments to be over and uploaded by their staff.

I know what you mean. I've resorted to listening to John Murphy on the Podcast app on my iPhone. No commercials but of course the podcasts are uploaded a day after they happen..

These shows are also available in the on demand audio and are usually available shortly after each hour is over.

So weird. I just heard a few commercials on GR and thought I haven't heard any of the super annoying ones from this marketing company lately: http://ofthesea.com/

William C Rott and Sons, Volkswagon of Orchard Park, and a few others that I know have annoyed people here (from previous threads).

The jingles used to be right up front on this website, which of course is hard to remember. Now it was something sea, what was it? Finally found it.

I hope they are out of the commercial business. They insult our intelligence, and it's basically the same format no matter the company. Stupid girl spouting nonsense that you can't even figure out. Annoying jingle. Then girl comes back with the lame kicker at the end.

I'll take Granger and even the annoying Flo all day long over these idiots.

This.

How about the one from AutoZone or some car parts place that actually taunts the listener "we'll stop messing with your speakers...maybe not". And then they expect you to buy from them? What the hell.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about, and it drives me FREQKING CRAZY... you can even pause it and then restart it, and the commercials start over fresh... Why can't they just play the local commercials, not this very short playlist of horrible repeated same commercials...I HAAAAAATE FLO, AND WILL NEVER BUY GEICO because of it.

That's funny. She does Progressive commercials.

Their Program Director must be pushing the on-air talent tease every bit of news because lately that's become a big part of the morning and afternoon shows. That never used to be their MO, but they'll throw it into a break and tease a story.

I haven't looked at Arbitron to know whether their ratings have flat-lined, but something behind the scenes has changed.

I live 300 miles from Buffalo in northern Saratoga county and I am grateful i can listen to WGR 55 on line... I left Buffalo in 1988 for work reasons and still miss my home town... I suppose commercials bother some people, but I tend not to listen, keeping connected to Buffalo sports is why I listen... Go Bills!!!!

Their Program Director must be pushing the on-air talent tease every bit of news because lately that's become a big part of the morning and afternoon shows. That never used to be their MO, but they'll throw it into a break and tease a story.

I haven't looked at Arbitron to know whether their ratings have flat-lined, but something behind the scenes has changed.

I have noticed the tease they do now.

Just when you thought the commercials were going to kill you, they break out 2 hours (apparently) of "MEAT DRAFT" today.

That's my cue to stop listening online until Bills training camp starts or maybe until we get into the pre-season games.

There's just nothing for those guys to talk about now, nor any reason whatsoever to listen.

If you're listening online through the web browser app, on the bottom left (by the play/stop button, and volume control) it will say

"Commercial Break"

when they are in commercials, so I usually hit Mute when I hear them talking about what's coming up after the break,

then un-Mute when I see those words disappear.

It's not perfect, sometimes I'll catch the last half of a commercial or so, but it's worth it to not take the full brunt of those awful ads.

H9EEIbF.jpg

Edited by coloradobillsfan

Just when you thought the commercials were going to kill you, they break out 2 hours (apparently) of "MEAT DRAFT" today.

That's my cue to stop listening online until Bills training camp starts or maybe until we get into the pre-season games.

There's just nothing for those guys to talk about now, nor any reason whatsoever to listen.

i tuned in this afternoon just in time to hear the meat draft. Wtf.

If you're listening online through the web browser app, on the bottom left (by the play/stop button, and volume control) it will say

"Commercial Break"

when they are in commercials, so I usually hit Mute when I hear them talking about what's coming up after the break,

then un-Mute when I see those words disappear.

It's not perfect, sometimes I'll catch the last half of a commercial or so, but it's worth it to not take the full brunt of those awful ads.

H9EEIbF.jpg

"not take the full brunt of those awful ads"...this made me laugh out loud!

They're like a blunt punch to the gut.

At least the VW of OP "Comforteering" crap seems to have passed now.

:thumbsup:

"not take the full brunt of those awful ads"...this made me laugh out loud!

They're like a blunt punch to the gut.

At least the VW of OP "Comforteering" crap seems to have passed now.

:thumbsup:

Yes, like I was saying upthread, I have not been hearing them and William C. Rott and the other nonsense that that marketing company was putting out. They are all the same ad, that totally insults your intelligence.

If I remember right, BTW, it was with a K - Komforteering! I had to look that up back then, because I had no idea what they were singing. It was driving me nuts. Turns out they made up the word!

The "Meat Draft" was the best show these two numb skulls have done in their 10,000 plus shows.

And how has nobody brought up the comical Tropical Heating and Cooling commercials? It literally is a Saturday night live skit...next time its on, close your eyes and imagine Andy Samberg and Bobby Moinahan in hula skirts mouthing the words.

I haven't started a thread in forever but I'm at my breaking point here. Does anyone else listen to a fair amount of WGR online? If you don't, you won't know what I'm talking about. But if you do, surely you also want to strangle Flo, all of those Geico girls with their stupid Dear John letters and perhaps most of all, the f***ing Grainger guy. Seriously every time I listen to one 15 minute segment, I have to then endure 5 minutes straight of the exact same commercials every single time. Often times they will repeat the same commercial in one break. I am completely losing it. I have some of these commercials memorized and I hate them. I'm beginning to miss the William C. Rott & Son commercials, that's how bad it's become. I suppose I could just close out the window or mute my computer and then guess when they're back on the air but that seems like a pain in the ass. Is there a solution to this problem that I'm not thinking of? Please help. listen to the audio vault they cut out the commercials and you can listen to what you want.

This is what I do, as well. Love that option, especially when I'm taking the dog on her walks. I listen live when I'm teleworking and simply mute the sound from the website. There are pictures of the advertisers during the commercials. When you don't see those anymore, you know they're back live & you can put the sound back on again.

Put down the burger,

Put down the dog.

Drop some trou,

And pinch off a log.

Hey we don't say leprechaun.

No, it's mischief-making, Napoleonic-complexed Irishman.