Out of Town Bills Fans

Out of town  

164 members have voted

1. 1. For those living in another team's market, how do you feel about that second team?

• The've become my second favorite team
    • I'm mostly neutral to them, don't care one way or the other
    • I can't stand them
    • They've become my favorite team, and the Bills have taken a back seat

I'm living in Steeler country. Most of the Steeler fans are nice but they kind of talk to us like we are inferior. They'll say "Hey the Bills lost again, sorry", then puff out their chests and start to crow about how wonderful the Steelers are. I take it in stride and just nod.........then when they leave I bang my head on the table!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm living in Steeler country. Most of the Steeler fans are nice but they kind of talk to us like we are inferior. They'll say "Hey the Bills lost again, sorry", then puff out their chests and start to crow about how wonderful the Steelers are. I take it in stride and just nod.........then when they leave I bang my head on the table!

i work with a lot of Steelers fans. They are die hard and suicidal when they lose. Last year they wanted to fire Tomlin and trade Ben until about 3/4 through the season. Don't even mention LeBeau, they wanted him gone years ago. He's finally gone and now they are worried it might not be him that was holding them back. Now they are ok with Ben but still hate Tomlin. And they whine about their defense as much as we whine about our offense. It's pretty funny. Edited by YoloinOhio

i work with a lot of Steelers fans. They are die hard and suicidal when they lose. Last year they wanted to fire Tomlin and trade Ben until about 3/4 through the season. Don't even mention LeBeau, they wanted him gone years ago. He's finally gone and now they are worried it might not be him that was holding them back. Now they are ok with Ben but still hate Tomlin. And they whine about their defense as much as we whine about our offense. It's pretty funny.

Lol as annoying as that sounds, you've gotta admit the Steeler's organization has given their fans some pretty high expectations with all of the success they've had over the years

Lol as annoying as that sounds, you've gotta admit the Steeler's organization has given their fans some pretty high expectations with all of the success they've had over the years

I have a friend who constantly whines that the league hates the Steelers. I feel the need to beat him to death every time he starts in on it.

It might be easier to adopt them as a second team if it was an NFC team that virtually had no effect on the Bills except when they played them, and even then there are three other games that year where I need them to beat the other AFCE teams. Unfortunally, the second biggest team around here is Dallas. But I also had DeMarco Murray and Dez on my FF team, so I've come around to not hating them, because believe it or not, Cowboys fans are less obnoxious than Texans fans. They're far from my "2nd team" though.

Grew up in the Albany area. Didn't really hate the Giants growing up but their fans made it hard not to. Jets-hate the team, but the fans are all right. Usually they at least know what they're talking about.

I've been in Chandler, AZ for about 16 years. To me, when they decided to build the new stadium all the way out in Glendale instead of in Tempe or Scottsdale, they missed a huge opportunity to build a better following. The meat of true Cards fans are in the more developed social areas (Tempe, Chandler, Scottsdale). No one I know wants to drive all the way out to Glendale for a football game.

"ALL the way out to Glendale"...

Lol. That's why Cardinals fans suck.

I'm neutral on the Cardinals. My wife and her family love them, since they're natives. I tell her they're my 2nd favorite just to keep her happy.

I live in Davie, Florida (Dolphins HQ are a 5 minute drive from home). I tell friends I would get season tickets to fish games but I'd have to buy every visiting teams jersey (except PATS* & Jests).

I live in Davie, Florida (Dolphins HQ are a 5 minute drive from home). I tell friends I would get season tickets to fish games but I'd have to buy every visiting teams jersey (except PATS* & Jests).

I get offered Texans tickets a lot, but turn them down. I'd rather sit in the bar watching my Bills then watching a game I couldn't care less about. I'll go if I have free tickets and the Bills are on a bye/thursday game. I go to preseason games just because it's like ten bucks for a ticket.

I live in the land of cheese and large women. The Packers are a distant second to my Bills, but I do follow them and go to Packer games every once in awhile. Badgers are my college team for sure.

I lived in Chicago for almost 20 years and never became a Bears fan. Their fans are so obnoxious and arrogant that I simply could not root for the team and I actively rooted against them. The Bears local radio broadcast team is awful - referring to the team as "we" and "us" during the broadcast and actively rooting for the team, screaming "yes, yes" when the Bears make a big play. Total bush league and a shock to me coming from a smaller market like Buffalo where I grew up with the late Van Miller - a consummate pro. His voice inflection was obviously more positive when the Bills did well, but he called the game fairly and professionally. Now I live in Phoenix and the fans here are not nearly as bad as the Chicago fans. I am somewhat indifferent about the Cardinals. That said, when the team is doing well, friends, neighbors, co-workers and the community as a whole is more interested in football, so I get free passes from the wife to watch more football, which is great for me!

As a side note, my wife grew up in Illinois and was a Bears fan, but she despises Jay Cutler so much that she abandoned the team. We take annual trips to New Orleans to attend a Saints game and party with friends who are Saints season ticket holders, so she has adopted the Saints as her new favorite team. She loves the scene in New Orleans as well as the atmosphere and crowd in the Dome, and the Saints have been pretty successful in the years we have been going. She tries to pretend that she doesn't care about the Bills, but she always has a great time attending games at the Ralph and they have never lost a game that she has attended in Buffalo! She also will occasionally join in when I am watching the Bills on TV and she does get excited when the Bills make a big play. She says that the Bills will always disappoint in the end, and she has a valid point. She's not from the area and didn't know anyone from Buffalo until about 10 years ago, so she has never seen success from the Bills (and she was young and didn't watch much football during the Super Bowl Era). Perhaps a nice extended run of playoff trips and or a Super Bowl victory will change her perception. I bought her a Bills t-shirt in Buffalo and she wears it on Sundays during the season, so I'm making progress. Also, when Marv Levy's first book came out a few years ago, we were living in Chicago and Marv lived in our neighborhood. We would see him here and there. He held a book signing at a neighborhood sports bar, but I was out of town on a business trip. She secretly took my book there and got it signed and surprised me with it later.

I live in Lynchburg, VA, which is No Man's Land for NFL football. Everyone down here is all about Virginia or Virginia Tech (meh), and then there's a weird mix of Redskins, Steelers, and Cowboys fans. Very few people root for Carolina or Tennessee. The guy who owns the bar that hosts our Backers group is a Miami fan--but he's from FL, so that's explainable. He told me that this market tends to follow the "national" NFL teams and teams that play in the Super Bowl, which explains the Pittsburgh and Dallas fans. In our Backers group, we have native Virginians who are lifelong Bills fans. Reason? Bruce Smith (V. Tech), the playoff and Super Bowl appearances, and more recently, EJ Manuel (Virginia Beach native).

In this market on an average Sunday, CBS is going to carry the Steelers, Jags, or (rarely) Indy game, and FOX will carry Washington, Carolina, or Dallas. This is a bit of a generalization, but in most cases that's who you get to choose from on network TV on Sundays.

Before I moved here in 2009, I lived in New Hampshire for 25 years. That did nothing but heighten my dislike for the Patriots** and their fans. At first, they were the lovable lugs. Nobody in NH actually wore Patriots gear, and you could go to Foxboro and get a great seat day of the game. The Pats** fans tailgating were jerks, but respectful jerks. When the Brady*/Belichick* era began, there was so much bandwagon boarding that they had to reinforce the thing with steel girders. Then the invisible Pats* fans became d-cks, and the Pats* fans who were already d-cks became really obnoxious d-cks.

Grew up in the Albany area. Didn't really hate the Giants growing up but their fans made it hard not to. Jets-hate the team, but the fans are all right. Usually they at least know what they're talking about.

I've had the complete opposite experience re: Jets vs. Giants fans. Giants fans are more level-headed and knowledgeable, it seems, while Jets fans are overgrown (wide, not tall) frat boys with no sense of football on a large scale.

I've had the complete opposite experience re: Jets vs. Giants fans. Giants fans are more level-headed and knowledgeable, it seems, while Jets fans are overgrown (wide, not tall) frat boys with no sense of football on a large scale.

Agree on this. Giants fans seemed pretty classy to me when I went to met life.

No one gave me "the business" when I cheered after Freddy broke off a 70 plus yard td to start the game.

I went to undergrad down in FL, made it to a Bills game in Jacksonville (thankfully before they changed to their horrendous new jerseys). I'd always sorta liked the Jaguars since they came into the league (who didn't think big cats were cool growing up?). Their fans were pretty cool, though. I got a bunch of "Go back to Canada!" yells in my direction, but it was all in fun. Of course, it was too hot to get really rowdy, but they seemed like a fairly classy group.

Carolina Panthers? meh

Arizona Cardinals? meh, at least they stopped sucking in recent years.

St Louis Rams? They were interesting back in 1999 or so.

When I joined Directv, they were giving away a big NFL parka of your favorite team. But they asked on the form, what is your second choice team?

Huh? What fan has a second choice team, as if you would wear the colors of one or the another?

I just chose the local team (Rams), figuring I would sell the parka if they did not have a Bills parka available.

The Atlanta Falcons are a big meh to me. ill watch the games because they are on. But I have no rooting interest.

Not to mention Atlanta fans are front runners. Braves are bad this year, people don't go. Falcons are bad, people dont go. Also I hate Arthur Blank. You will not be allowed to buy single game tickets to the new stadium. You have to purchase a PSL to buy season tickets. (We'll see how long that lasts.)

Now the GA Bulldogs, there is always buzz around here for them, I have fallen into that.

I guess I'm in Giants country (518) and I really don't care much one way or another. It was fun watching them beat the Pats** a couple of times though.

I like the Giants more now because I rooted for them so much in those two games.

When I lived in Texas, I didn't care about the local teams, though I hated the arrogance of any team claiming to be America's Team.

When I lived in the Bay Area, I hated both the Raiders (on general principles) and the 49ers (those pretty gold uniforms....come on now, it's supposed to be FOOTBALL).

When I lived in the DC area, I just hated the Skins. Partly because the fans there are so into their team (just like Bills fans) but it wasn't MY team.

Now I live in Utah, and the local team is the Broncos. I've always like the Broncos -- they and the Bills are the only two original AFL teams that never moved or changed their name, and I like loyalty.

Long story short, there isn't a single answer to the poll question.

Enjoy watching the Broncos, simply because they always seem to have a talented roster, but my overall feelings are meh. Now, when Tebow was there, I made it a point to tune in and watch any game that didn't interfere with Buffalo. The excitement he brought was making me a fan, but that didn't last long.

Living in the Orlando area, the local coverage is split between the Dolphins, Bucs, and Jags.

I hate the Dolphins, I am indifferent to the Bucs, and I don't even understand why the NFL has to consider Orlando as part of the Jacksonville market--they are always trying to force the Jags on our area, and the people around here aren't buying it.

Living in the Orlando area also, it's definitely not a NFL city. There are more dolphin fans than bucs fans and the 4 jags fans get lucky that they get all the jags away games. There a pretty good amount of Miami and TB games on here but I can't stand any of the 3 teams.

It's definitely college ball that rules here.

The only time I will enjoy anything about the jags is if they show the London game on locally here since we are in their market but I'm not holding my breath on that.

Been a Buffalo Bills fan since I knew what football even was.

Living in LA, I hate the Raiders, I hate the 49ers, and I dislike the Chargers. If Rams come back I'd say they'd be a HUGE "maybe" in seeing them play in LA but the Bills are always my #1 team!

You can't call yourself a Bills fan if you go jump on a bandwagon. Stick it out, "through thick and thin!"

Edited by gr8billsfan

Vista, CA which is north county san diego. Talked to a lot of Chargers fans. I just feel for them. They all tell me how much it would just break their hearts to see the Bolts leave town. If the bills or sabres aren't on i'll watch the bolts. The whole situation just sucks for these fans.