Got To Eat a Little Crow !!

Well i guess i will be the first to eat a little crow on a subject that just 2 short years ago i climbed up on my soap box & said a incoming coach on the new staff needed to be run out of town & couldn't for the life of me figure out why they hired him & why the other coach was let go ?

2 short seasons ago i thought the Crossman hire (along with the Marrone hire was a joke) well I'm 1 for 2 any way . But to Crossman i owe a huge apology !

He has taken our ST's unit from #8 to #2 & continued to put them at the top of the league at ST's , which is not only good for us but good for him too !

If he stays at the same ranking as last year that will be fine with me , but it would be great to see them move up one spot to number 1 while the Bills play their way into Super Bowl 50 & bring the trophy home to Buffalo where a championship is long over due !!

This is really hard to say after showing my butt 2 years ago but , keep up the good work Crossman !!

Go Bills !!

If that Jordan Guy is let go for roster slot I do not think we will be #1 in special teams this year.

Per a recent interview with Crossman, Gay isn't going anywhere. And unless there's a competition between him and Schmidt at punter and he wins it, it looks like the Bills will keep all 3 (Carp too) again this year.

The biggest changes were the additions of Boobie Dixon and Corey Graham, who were both ST pro bowlers, combined with the fact that Marrone started using starters on ST like Spikes and Woods, etc, where he didn't the year before. We have quite a few good ST guys now.

Well i guess i will be the first to eat a little crow on a subject that just 2 short years ago i climbed up on my soap box & said a incoming coach on the new staff needed to be run out of town & couldn't for the life of me figure out why they hired him & why the other coach was let go ?

2 short seasons ago i thought the Crossman hire (along with the Marrone hire was a joke) well I'm 1 for 2 any way . But to Crossman i owe a huge apology !

He has taken our ST's unit from #8 to #2 & continued to put them at the top of the league at ST's , which is not only good for us but good for him too !

If he stays at the same ranking as last year that will be fine with me , but it would be great to see them move up one spot to number 1 while the Bills play their way into Super Bowl 50 & bring the trophy home to Buffalo where a championship is long over due !!

This is really hard to say after showing my butt 2 years ago but , keep up the good work Crossman !!

Go Bills !!

To be fair....Crossmen has been given ribye to work with on ST's not hamburger meat

Just like the defense.......he was given a talented ST's roster and knew what to do with it

Crossman was vilified as a crony hire and the Bills did nothing on the field that first season to disprove that. Then the first off season I was beating the drum for his firing. Just shows to go ya that with a couple additional players and a different approach mentioned by KtFaBD above and suddenly our STers were kicking buttocks. I happily eat crow on this one.

If there is anyone who wasn't calling for Crossman's head before last season he should stand up now. I think the fan base almost universally believed he was a joke and was on the staff solely because he served as one of Saint Doug's acolytes.

I'm embarrassed to say I hated the Crossman hiring more than the Hackett hiring.

I figured Marone would be the de facto OC and that Hackett would simply do the legwork. Since Marrone wanted to run the offense his way, it was important to have someone who understood his scheme, and would defer to him.

Crossman's hiring, looking at his track record at the time, seemed like a personal favor that was detrimental to the Bills.

Man, my assessment was poor!

Edited by hondo in seattle

Whilst I didn't go as far as defending Crossman I did say last off-season when everyone wanted him canned "the team did an assessment and say they need more core special teamers... Whaley has gone and got them those guys now let's see how they perform but there are no excuses if it is bad."

Fair play Crossman turned it round.

I'm embarrassed to say I hated the Crossman hiring more than the Hackett hiring.

I figured Marone would be the de facto OC and that Hackett would simply do the legwork. Since Marrone wanted to run the offense his way, it was important to have someone who understood his scheme, and would defer to him.

Crossman's hiring, looking at his track record at the time, seemed like a personal favor that was detrimental to the Bills.

Man, my assessment was poor!

I mean, this assessment made total sense at the time (with logic and reason even), but that's the crazy thing with the NFL, anything can happen!

That's why it drives me crazy when people on TBD absolutely KNOW the future of a player or coach. Maaaaybe you do, maybe not though :beer:

The biggest changes were the additions of Boobie Dixon and Corey Graham, who were both ST pro bowlers, combined with the fact that Marrone started using starters on ST like Spikes and Woods, etc, where he didn't the year before. We have quite a few good ST guys now.

That plus carrying Easley, an extra kicker, and so on all add up to a lot more than crossman being a great coach, in my opinion. I'd venture he got more support catered to his unit than any special teams coordinator in the league, potentially (though I know that's practically impossible to quantify)

Crossman was vilified as a crony hire and the Bills did nothing on the field that first season to disprove that. Then the first off season I was beating the drum for his firing. Just shows to go ya that with a couple additional players and a different approach mentioned by KtFaBD above and suddenly our STers were kicking buttocks. I happily eat crow on this one.

I'll throw this challenge out there: if you give Hackett/marrone Brady and a bunch of pro bowl weapons and he ends up top ten in the league in most rankings-- does that make him a good coordinator?

I think there may be more plates to be eaten down the line as crossman has been consistently bad getting his squads prepped for a long time and won't always have elite squads handed to him.

Have you ever had crow? Cant be all that bad.

Have you ever had crow? Cant be all that bad.

I've eaten sparrow. No kidding. It was in Cagliari, in Sardinia. It wasn't bad, but it was cooked with the heads on and the whole bit. When they lifted the lid on the platter I'm sure my eyes were as big as...well, sparrows. They were plucked and baked. Little heads and beaks and closed eyes. Something out of a travelogue.

You know what? They weren't bad. All I could eat were the breasts, in one bite. But - no - it didn't taste like chicken. The wine helped.

Ever notice how crows are always hanging out in the middle of the road, eating roadkill, but they never seem to get hit by cars?

It's because they have "lookouts" in the trees that yell, "CARRRR!! CARRR!!" every time a vehicle approaches.

Ever notice how crows are always hanging out in the middle of the road, eating roadkill, but they never seem to get hit by cars?

It's because they have "lookouts" in the trees that yell, "CARRRR!! CARRR!!" every time a vehicle approaches.

They cawing for Derek or David?

Go Bills !!

You were not the only one. i too was once a Crossman basher.

let that be a lesson for us.

Does anybody really think the ST's coach has any impact on the play of special teams? The Green Bay ST coach coached his back-up TE to block so the star WR could field the onside kick. The player lost the game not the coach. I would put their impact at 10% max.

The team is younger and has more depth. That means better ST's play.

Don't know if it was Crossman or Marrone that wanted some of the starters on the coverage units but it worked.

Does anybody really think the ST's coach has any impact on the play of special teams? The Green Bay ST coach coached his back-up TE to block so the star WR could field the onside kick. The player lost the game not the coach. I would put their impact at 10% max.

The team is younger and has more depth. That means better ST's play.

Don't know if it was Crossman or Marrone that wanted some of the starters on the coverage units but it worked.

The ST Coach has little impact on the quality of punting or kicking.

But he does have a lot of impact, I think, on the coverage and return units.

To the OP and Beerball....a big DITTO.

So (not to be negative but) we legitimately couod have a #1 defense, a #1 special teams group, a top 8 running game... and remain on the fringes of playoff consideration, everything STILL depending on QB play... geeeeez...

spoiled it for us didnt ya!