Bills' Mandatory Minicamp: June 16-18

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to read too much into this, but man it really sounds like our offense is going to be rough again this year. Maybe some day will get a QB and a competent OL.

All we have to do is get to average. That's not even particularly impressive when you really look at middle of the pack teams.

I would expect the defense to be much better right now than the offense for several reasons.

Obviously they are much more talented, especially going against the front four, which is healthy and deep.

The defense is learning a semi new system, too, and Rex/DT have to teach them how aggressive they want them to be, which is substantial. Eric Wood mentioned it in his recent interview. This makes it hard on the offense in the 11-11 drills. They are not only the most aggressive defensive coaches but they are good at disguising stuff, and they are teaching that to our D now, making it tougher for the offense.

The offense has a new starting WR, a new TE at 1 & 2 one of whom is a rookie, a new starting RB, a new OT for the most part, two new OGs, and those are only starters. They have a new OL coach who is teaching them completely different techniques. All the position coaches are new and that is not the biggest change, it is an entire new offense, which is completely opposite to the one they played in the last two years, and very complicated, with endless variations to it.

Combine that with three separate and entirely different QBs, two of which are new, getting equal shots with the ones, meaning only one third of the time, and you would thoroughly expect, at this juncture, that the defense is abusing the offense.

Bringing back up for those worried about today's reports. Truly, I am not concerned, at this point.

I think we will see a significant improvement on offense this year. Where the strengths of the offense will be in the run game and the short passing game. Weaknesses will be intermediate and deep passing game.

Well, we need to be good in the intermediate-deep area. Our run game will open up opportunities there.

Joe B seems more annoying than I remember with him at WGR

Almost like he wants to be Tim Graham version 2

CBF

Agree, he's never been good, but now he seems like he's trying to be a blatant a-hole.

I hate to read too much into this, but man it really sounds like our offense is going to be rough again this year. Maybe some day we'll get a QB and a competent OL.

So don't.

I get the impression that he thinks he is being hip/funny/entertaining on twitter. He's not.

Oh, he thinks he's the hippest dude around with his #getwoke and fancy socks photos.

@JoeBuscaglia: The #Bills offense today, well.... 'yuck' is the word I would use. That and other observations from minicamp: http://t.co/hHNsYk5Ga7

On the bright side . . . I suppose the defense must be looking pretty good.

At the end of the day, I wonder how many (if any) defenses the Bills will play that will be tougher to play against than our D.

I know you guys are down on Joe. B. for being "negative" but let's be real here, haven't the quarterbacks been bad here in Buffalo for quite a while now? Isn't it possible that he's just reporting what he is seeing? I've always found Joe B. to be pretty informed.

Joe is spot on, people just don't like to hear it

Oh, he thinks he's the hippest dude around with his #getwoke and fancy socks photos.

Agree he is kind of a tool but his reporting is fine IMO

also - "eye test"

Joe B. refers to the "eye test" and, yet, the article curiously has a photo of Tyrod in a Ravens uniform.

They may need to have others start performing the eye test.

LeSean McCoy: "You Can Never Learn Too Much" (5:17)
RB LeSean McCoy talks about the depth of the roster, playing in Greg Roman's Offense and mastering the playbook.

Greg Roman: "This Is A Group Of Hardworking Guys" (5:58)

OC Greg Roman talks about the work ethic displayed thus far, what he expects from the players and coaches during the break before training camp and how players will continue to be shuffled around.

Minicamp Notes: Day 2

Day two of Bills minicamp saw some lineup changes, a receiver standing out and a developing situation at safety.

@buffalobills

Step 1: Score a TD at #BillsMinicamp. Step 2: GET UP! More photos of the action: http://bufbills.co/3I95jb

CHuPvogUMAAb-8q.jpg

I hate this ^^^

Maybe I'm getting old (get off my lawn) and putting aside my general distaste for the "look at me craving attention" aspect, haven't we learned from Gramattica, Tulloch, and Houston that excessive celebration can end a season...must we celebrate a touchdown during OTA's like this...In the immortal words of AI- "We not talking bout a game, not a game, we talking about practice"...act like it has happened before...end of rant. Thank you.

I hate this ^^^

Maybe I'm getting old (get off my lawn) and putting aside my general distaste for the "look at me craving attention" aspect, haven't we learned from Gramattica, Tulloch, and Houston that excessive celebration can end a season...must we celebrate a touchdown during OTA's like this...In the immortal words of AI- "We not talking bout a game, not a game, we talking about practice"...act like it has happened before...end of rant. Thank you.

If one were to believe Joe B, it may not have happened before (or at least not often).

I am just joking. I know where you are coming from though. I just prefer to look at it as the players having some fun and bonding.

Edited by Peter

@JoeBuscaglia: The #Bills offense today, well.... 'yuck' is the word I would use. That and other observations from minicamp: http://t.co/hHNsYk5Ga7

OK I read this and it sounds like we suck horridly at QB and on O, only 4 completions of 11 attempts, 1 by Taylor, 2 by Manuel for only 2 yards, longest completion 15 yds by Matt Simms

Now I read this, and I read about Cassel having a completion to Hogan who got great separation, Manuel having great touch on a pass to Gray for a TD, Taylor having a 15 yd completion, Woods moving the sticks on 2 of 3 receptions from Manuel, etc

Something is hinky here. Yes, I understand Chris Brown is actually a PR employee of the Bills but either he's outright lying (which I haven't seen him to do - put a positive spin, yes, lie, no) or what JoeB wrote can't be accurate.

Ooh, he used "quick-twitch" in his writeup.

#scoutwannabe

#gragglag

I don't really mind Joe B. and his silly hastags. His tone can sometimes be a little arrogant in print, but it's generally the same mix of information and speculation as with any beat writer.. And I love fun socks.

So regarding TE and Gragg falling behind the pack, I kind of saw this being the case going forward. Gragg never really got anything going in his first two years with us.

I like that Cockrell is getting some 1st team reps in the absence of Leo and Gilmore. Hope he makes the most of this opportunity.

No mention of Dez Lewis yet. Plenty of Hogan hype, though. Think that's cool. He's worked hard and it's paying off.

Edited by Big C

OK I read this and it sounds like we suck horridly at QB and on O, only 4 completions of 11 attempts, 1 by Taylor, 2 by Manuel for only 2 yards, longest completion 15 yds by Matt Simms

Minicamp Notes: Day 2

Now I read this, and I read about Cassel having a completion to Hogan who got great separation, Manuel having great touch on a pass to Gray for a TD, Taylor having a 15 yd completion, Woods moving the sticks on 2 of 3 receptions from Manuel, etc

Something is hinky here. Yes, I understand Chris Brown is actually a PR employee of the Bills but either he's outright lying (which I haven't seen him to do - put a positive spin, yes, lie, no) or what JoeB wrote can't be accurate.

Brown didn't say whether the passes were completed during 11-11s or 7-7s. Reporters said that all QBs looked better in 7-7s, but discounted those series for no QB pressure.

Brown is talking about 7 v 7s while JoeB only discusses 11 v 11s. by all accounts the 11 v 11s were abysmal.

When was EJ picked off by Butler? Was it 7's or 11's? Either way, Brown spins it from "EJ was late on the read and it was picked off" to "Mario Butler made a great play, closing in on the ball and managing to get both feet down" or whatever it was.

Edited by Big C

As an aside, it is interesting to watch all of the player interviews on bb.com

One of things that I find interesting is that some of these guys in the media seem to ask the same questions to each player. They are either lazy or just trying to push their own narratives.

Another interesting thing they do is preface a question by saying: "Rex said" or so and so said . . . .

I hate this ^^^

I hate this ^^^

You probably don't play pickup games anymore, but didn't you have fun and joke around during pickup games back in the day?

I hope you did.

As an aside, it is interesting to watch all of the player interviews on bb.com

One of things that I find interesting is that some of these guys in the media seem to ask the same questions to each player. They are either lazy or just trying to push their own narratives.

Another interesting thing they do is preface a question by saying: "Rex said" or so and so said . . . .

No, that's standard reporting procedure, I think. You know, getting multiple viewpoints on the same subject, providing context, and whatnot.

I hate this ^^^

Turns out bring the most serious guy on the field isn't that much safer. Some fun and bonding isn't a bad thing

I hate this ^^^

You probably don't play pickup games anymore, but didn't you have fun and joke around during pickup games back in the day?

I hope you did.

No, that's standard reporting procedure, I think. You know, getting multiple viewpoints on the same subject, providing context, and whatnot.

Could be, but it seems to me that there are instances where some media guys are looking for conflicting responses rather than "context and what not."

Just my two cents.