Article: E.J. is beating out Cassel and Taylor in OTA's

pbanach

What do you think Whaley/Rex tell EJ behind closed doors?

What do you think EJ has told Rex/Whaley behind closed doors?

EJ's made, along with others, some very telling statements how Marrone didn't work on player development and even took plays out of the playbook.

Edited by The Wiz

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct. But that's why context is important. No matter what Whaley may or may not have said in January, nobody should be under any illusion that there's a front office mandate to resurrect EJ.

well really that position absolutely must be fostered and pursued. because we aint got much in the pantry. better put it in the pan and see how it turns out. not an either or though.

What do you think EJ has told Rex/Whaley behind closed doors?

EJ's made, along with others, some very telling statements how Marrone didn't work on player development and even took plays out of the playbook.

Marrone took plays out of the playbook because EJ couldn't grasp the offense.

Anywho, what's EJ gonna say? Marrone tried to develop me but I just stink too much?

He may, like many, know it's just easier to blame the guy who is no longer around.

Edited by FireChan

Anywho, what's EJ gonna say? Marrone tried to develop me but I just stink too much?

He may, like many, know it's just easier to blame the guy who is no longer around.

Yea, you know Fred Jackson is the type of guy to throw someone under the bus for no reason.

Is anyone under that illusion?

"I'd really like to see what we have with EJ given some proper coaching" is not the same thing as "if you take this job you need to play EJ."

I absolutely believe that a part of every HC interview included "tell me what you think about EJ and what would you do to develop him." That's not a mandate.

Look a few posts above. Some people are still convinced that Whaley mandated a resurrection project for EJ for every coaching candidate.

This is just wild speculation.

There are stories out of Florida State that EJ was only asked to scan half the field. Having a problem going quickly through progressions - if true - is not the same as saying the guy can't grasp a complicated NFL offense. By all accounts, EJ is a playbook junkie. I seriously doubt Marrone took plays out of the playbook because EJ couldn't grasp the offense.

If there was a problem with players grasping and executing the offense, my hunch it was because (as we've heard) the coaches weren't always aligned.

Edited by hondo in seattle

This is just wild speculation.

There are stories out of Florida State that EJ only needed to scan half the field. Having a problem going quickly through progressions - if true - is not the same as saying the guy can't grasp a complicated NFL offense. By all accounts, EJ is a playbook junkie. I seriously doubt Marrone took plays out of the playbook because EJ couldn't grasp the offense.

If there was a problem with players grasping and executing the offense, my hunch it was because (as we've heard) the coaches weren't always aligned.

So wild.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/12/9/5191390/buffalo-bills-to-scale-back-offense-for-ej-manuel

Following an abysmal performance in Tampa Bay, Buffalo Bills head coach Doug Marrone told reporters on Sunday afternoon that he plans on scaling back his offense a bit for beleaguered starting quarterback EJ Manuel.

"We've been giving him more and more, and now it's a point where you have to re-evaluate that," Marrone said Sunday. "We've been going fast with his progression, and now we just have to look at it and get him started again. And it's not starting over, don't get me wrong. We have to look to see what we can do, and probably cut down what we're doing."

Did Marrone put plays back when Orton came aboard?? If so, then offense still sucked!! I believe FredEx said in an interview that Marrone undermined Hackett's ability to run his offense. And I'm paraphrasing.

Scaling back offenses for struggling rookie QBs is a foreign concept in the NFL.

I do enjoy a good strawman Gug.

Did Marrone put plays back when Orton came aboard?? If so, then offense still sucked!! I believe FredEx said in an interview that Marrone undermined Hackett's ability to run his offense. And I'm paraphrasing.

That may very well be true, I think I did read something like that. It's irrelevant though.

So wild.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/12/9/5191390/buffalo-bills-to-scale-back-offense-for-ej-manuel

Following an abysmal performance in Tampa Bay, Buffalo Bills head coach Doug Marrone told reporters on Sunday afternoon that he plans on scaling back his offense a bit for beleaguered starting quarterback EJ Manuel.

"We've been giving him more and more, and now it's a point where you have to re-evaluate that," Marrone said Sunday. "We've been going fast with his progression, and now we just have to look at it and get him started again. And it's not starting over, don't get me wrong. We have to look to see what we can do, and probably cut down what we're doing."

Actually you are concluding its a "grasp the playbook" issue, while is very well could have been "not executing certain groups of plays well". Or any other number of things, this was also in the midst of that hair brained no huddle offense.

You're making it sound like the issue was he's a dummy, which I don't buy.

Actually you are concluding its a "grasp the playbook" issue, while is very well could have been "not executing certain groups of plays well". Or any other number of things, this was also in the midst of that hair brained no huddle offense.

You're making it sound like the issue was he's a dummy, which I don't buy.

I said, "the offense."

Not, EJ couldn't read the field. Not, EJ couldn't remember his plays. However, with all that being said, you don't "scale back" something that is going well.

Edited by FireChan

So wild.

Your reading what you want to into that

I do enjoy a good strawman Gug.

That may very well be true, I think I did read something like that. It's irrelevant though.

Its not irrelevant and its not the first time I have heard that Hackett might not have been that bad of a OC but that Marrone was having an adverse effect on his playcalling and being involved too much.

That is DEF relevant when it comes to the QB position

Your reading what you want to into that

Its not irrelevant and its not the first time I have heard that Hackett might not have been that bad of a OC but that Marrone was having an adverse effect on his playcalling and being involved too much.

That is DEF relevant when it comes to the QB position

How? Do you deny the offense was scaled back?

It's irrelevant because I don't care and it's not what I'm talking about. One poster thought I was "wildly speculating" and I clearly was not. Marrone scaled back the offense. Period. I don't care if Jay Cutler one time had his offense scaled back too, it's irrelevant.

How? Do you deny the offense was scaled back?

It's irrelevant because I don't care and it's not what I'm talking about. One poster thought I was "wildly speculating" and I clearly was not. Marrone scaled back the offense. Period. I don't care if Jay Cutler one time had his offense scaled back too, it's irrelevant.

So your gonna hang onto that bone are you.......trying to make some kind of point of a OC simplifying an offense for a young QB

Good luck with that....make sure to feel that way about almost all the other OC's and how they handle their QBs on other NFL teams as well....

Christ

So your gonna hang onto that bone are you.......trying to make some kind of point of a OC simplifying an offense for a young QB

Good luck with that....make sure to feel that way about almost all the other OC's and how they handle their QBs on other NFL teams as well....

Christ

I am not hanging on anything. I am stating a fact.

Yes.

But he is also assistant HC.

You know very well that an "assistant HC" title plus $3.75 will get you a medium cup of coffee at Starbucks. Gus Bradley is Marrone's friend and threw him a bone -- I think it also makes it more difficult for another team to hire him away (like that would happen). The truth is that Marrone significantly overvalued his worth as a HC and was rather rudely smacked down by the NFL organizations searching for a coach this winter.

We know Marrone didn't like EJ. It's plain as day. Was that because he knew EJ would never be "the man" or because he is the type of coach who can't develop a young player? That's the question we don't know the answer to.

Yes.

That sounds like Dwight from "The Office" bragging about a title.

I have always maintained that if Marrone truly feels that EJ Manuel sucks then he will eventually become a great QB for the Bills. Marrone is that kind of clueless.

Edited by 1billsfan

Yes.

because they felt sorry for his dumb azz

The Wiz, on 15 Jun 2015 - 8:13 PM, said:

Yea, you know Fred Jackson is the type of guy to throw someone under the bus for no reason.

Link to where Fred said anything about Marrone developing players?

you do understand sarcasm of a sort. no?

Fred IMO is all class and would never throw someone under a bus

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Vanilla ice cream for all!

WRT the linked scaled back O FACT - Dec 9, 2013 that is 12 or 13 weeks into the season. why did he wait so long?

Did you also note Moron only called 17 rushing plays in the Tampa game???!!!

The Bills, Manuel and their (likely) scaled back offense will take on a Jacksonville Jaguars outfit next Sunday

FTR EJ won that Jax game

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I am not hanging on anything. I am stating a fact.

FACT the offense under EJ was ranked 22nd in the NFL while the the offense under KO was ranked 29nd in the NFL

Wow, haven't checked in here a while. I see that axe is still getting plenty of attention.

from a quick glance there seems to be but one axe grinder

You are dead on on the importance of coaching to the development of a QB. If the coaching mattered much, you would expect to see certain coaches developing multiple excellent QBs. But there is almost no evidence of that. It is much more often that an excellent QB and a coach who knows how to utilize an excellent QB end up in the same place at the same time.

Steve young and Brett Favre are both fine examples of coaching/development time and the way they impact qb development.

Look at what belli got outta Cassell. Then see what the rest of the league had.

Look at Alex smiths dismal career until decent coaching came into his life.

The combo of the top guy in the offensive coaching hierarchy and the qb are everything.

Yeah if one is not good enough it may not work, but you can't tell where the problem truly lies until you change one of those pieces and re evaluate.

Steve young and Brett Favre are both fine examples of coaching/development time and the way they impact qb development.

Look at what belli got outta Cassell. Then see what the rest of the league had.

Look at Alex smiths dismal career until decent coaching came into his life.

The combo of the top guy in the offensive coaching hierarchy and the qb are everything.

Yeah if one is not good enough it may not work, but you can't tell where the problem truly lies until you change one of those pieces and re evaluate.

There's some QBs that are great no matter what.

There's more QBs that are either good or bad depending on coaching and surrounding talent.

There's some QBs that are (NFL)bad no matter what.

I feel like a lot of fans think every QB is either A or C, but the reality is, most QBs are B.

Yes.

Yup effectively demoted to a lesser post with one of the worst franchises in the NFL. That should look good on the resume.

I was never sure what they had in Marrone.... But I can't point to one young player he groomed or that I expect would credit him for the same...

Yup effectively demoted to a lesser post with one of the worst franchises in the NFL. That should look good on the resume.

I was never sure what they had in Marrone.... But I can't point to one young player he groomed or that I expect would credit him for the same...

There wasn't much evidence in his time with the Bills that he was a good coach. He didn't improve the O-line despite taking a more hands on role and he didn't appear to identify ways of developing others on his time - although I accept that maybe he did and it was just his position coaches were not good enough to execute the improvement plans he had devised.

There was, however, evidence of him being somewhat of a good motivator. He didn't necessarily strike me as one but his Bills team last year played harder than any Bills team in the 12 years I have been watching. They won a lot of games late and they were genuinely competitive in every single game. I also think that if you asked most NFL observers and kept it entirely team neutral - "what is the ceiling for a team with a mediocre veteran at Quarterback?" the best record you would hear in response would likely be 9-7 and he got the Bills to that mark.

How much did he and Hackett hold EJ back? I don't know... but we are going to get some kind of clue in the next few months I suspect.

because they felt sorry for his dumb azz

you do understand sarcasm of a sort. no?

Fred IMO is all class and would never throw someone under a bus

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Vanilla ice cream for all!

WRT the linked scaled back O FACT - Dec 9, 2013 that is 12 or 13 weeks into the season. why did he wait so long?

Did you also note Moron only called 17 rushing plays in the Tampa game???!!!

The Bills, Manuel and their (likely) scaled back offense will take on a Jacksonville Jaguars outfit next Sunday

FTR EJ won that Jax game

That wasn't sarcasm.

FACT the offense under EJ was ranked 22nd in the NFL while the the offense under KO was ranked 29nd in the NFL

from a quick glance there seems to be but one axe grinder

Link your stats. Let's see them.

also thanks to Moron CJ Spiller never reached his potential either

RB's need 5 years to develop and reach their potential?

Wow, haven't checked in here a while. I see that axe is still getting plenty of attention.

This is an anomaly.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around why a Chicago newspaper is covering the Bills.

That Chicago paper is just creating locally branded websites that are staffed by one person rewriting stories from other sources. No reporters, no original content.

There wasn't much evidence in his time with the Bills that he was a good coach. He didn't improve the O-line despite taking a more hands on role and he didn't appear to identify ways of developing others on his time - although I accept that maybe he did and it was just his position coaches were not good enough to execute the improvement plans he had devised.

There was, however, evidence of him being somewhat of a good motivator. He didn't necessarily strike me as one but his Bills team last year played harder than any Bills team in the 12 years I have been watching. They won a lot of games late and they were genuinely competitive in every single game. I also think that if you asked most NFL observers and kept it entirely team neutral - "what is the ceiling for a team with a mediocre veteran at Quarterback?" the best record you would hear in response would likely be 9-7 and he got the Bills to that mark.

How much did he and Hackett hold EJ back? I don't know... but we are going to get some kind of clue in the next few months I suspect.

This is a well-reasoned post, IMO. The Bills did play hard, and (I guess) you have to give the man at the top some credit for that. The lack of development of just about every player on offense (and significant regression for some) can't be ignored, however.

I am pretty sure he is right without seeing the stats. But then EJ benefited from a running game, partly because we seemed only to be able to run from the shotgun read option look (and we ran fewer shotgun formations with Orton) and because for two games he had the benefit of the only competent run blocking guard the Bills fielded last year - Chris Williams (a TBD hate figure himself).

That wasn't sarcasm.

RB's need 5 years to develop and reach their potential?

This is an anomaly.

as you say. to me I saw that as sarc from The Wiz.

I have posted the stats a number of times. Doubt me? Then you can provide a link to prove me wrong.

Years 4 and 5 he should have excelled with proper coaching and play calling.

Yes it is an anomaly that you are still crusading

FTR when did you start saying CJ was a flop?

as you say. to me I saw that as sarc from The Wiz.

I have posted the stats a number of times. Doubt me? Then you can provide a link to prove me wrong.

Years 4 and 5 he should have excelled with proper coaching and play calling.

Yes it is an anomaly that you are still crusading

FTR when did you start saying CJ was a flop?

3 years ago.

And no, you made a claim, show me the link.

Edited by FireChan