Article: E.J. is beating out Cassel and Taylor in OTA's

pbanach

Downing seemed to think EJ's accuracy issues - which were really timing issues - were correctable. Maybe that's just happy-talk, I don't know.

We've already seen Cassel at his very best and I'm hoping for something better. I'm hoping either EJ or TT - or both - have improved their games to the point that they're significantly better than MC.

1. Think of how insane it would be if Downing came out and said, "EJ's accuracy issues? Yeah those are not correctable."

2. I think hoping for EJ Manuel or Tyrod Taylor to be better than Cassel has his been at his best (his two ten win seasons- look up his numbers) is a pipe dream. I'm just hoping for Cassel to play at his very best. It's time for Bills fans to deal with reality here. And reality is that if Cassel plays at his very best, this is a 12 win football team.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So have we decided if EJ is the cause for world hunger yet?

Or is it just ebola?

both

This is kind of what's going to happen around here when EJ flames out this offseason and maybe even gets cut. Either way, he's not winning the starting job.

so you've been saying for months and 2 more months to come.

I've also stated my opinion of what's going to happen around here when EJ is named the #1 QB

1. Think of how insane it would be if Downing came out and said, "EJ's accuracy issues? Yeah those are not correctable."

2. I think hoping for EJ Manuel or Tyrod Taylor to be better than Cassel has his been at his best (his two ten win seasons- look up his numbers) is a pipe dream. I'm just hoping for Cassel to play at his very best. It's time for Bills fans to deal with reality here. And reality is that if Cassel plays at his very best, this is a 12 win football team.

#1. You're right.

#2. Maybe so.

Cassel in his best years was very productive. But those were long ago and that worries me. But if he wins the starting job and plays like his best year at KC, I'll be happy.

Hoping TT or EJ steps up isn't entirely a pipe-dream. Young QBs sometimes take big steps forward. Drew Brees took a huge step forward in his 4th year and didn't truly blossom until later with the Saints.

Sometimes even older QBs have breakout seasons late in their careers. Jim Plunkett floundered in mediocrity for a decade before becoming productive with the Raiders, for example.

Anyway, I'm a fan and fans live on hope. So I'm hoping Cassel plays like it's 2010, or EJ plays like Cassel did in 2010, or TT does the same.

14 pages of hair splitting, gross exaggeration in every direction & general douchebaggery and rising.

God, I love this place.

It is a little slice of heaven, isn't it.

To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation whamentation of their women?

Fixed it - for accuracy.

So have we decided if EJ is the cause for world hunger yet?

Or is it just ebola?

He's the antichrist for sure.

Your wife take that picture.

It's a selfie.

I have just been pondering on my way home from work... do you think if what we are going to get is simply Orton of last year standard of Quarterback play (not saying we will just hypothesising) would you think EJ is the worst of the 3 guys to get it from in the eyes of the coaching staff? Let me explain...

If we go 10-6 and lose in the wildcard round with Orton level of play from Matt Cassel then great Cassel has done his job we probably draft a Quarterback early in the draft and Cassel maybe starts 2016 and hands over during the season.

If we go 10-6 and lose in the wildcard round with Orton level of play from Tyrod Taylor then great he was a flier who has come in and shown some potential I don't think anyone objects to us going Quarterback early in the draft and Tyrod and the rookie compete for the job next summer and beyond.

However, If we go 10-6 and lose in the wildcard round with Orton level of play from EJ...... then is there a risk for the coaching staff that some guys in the front office who were involved in drafting him as a 1st round pick (the GM for one) see it as the progress he would have shown in year 2 if not yanked by Marrone and seek to impose him on the coaching staff as the starter again in 2016 and rather than drafting a QB early simply take a mid round flier on someone?

I know... I am probably worrying about nothing but it is a long offseason and I have had a crap day I needed some nonsense to occupy my brain on the journey home.

I love this, because I find myself going though all the same speculation when I am driving home from a crap day. To me its all part of being a fan and I love it...

both

so you've been saying for months and 2 more months to come.

I've also stated my opinion of what's going to happen around here when EJ is named the #1 QB

Winning the starting QB job this offseason would be a huge step forward for Manuel and his career as he has yet to actually win a starting QB job in either of his first two seasons. That doesn't mean that him winning the job means anyone gets to tell me "I told you so" just yet. What's even unlikelier than him winning the job- which Sal Capaccio currently has at 10%- would be him staying healthy, improving his game and being productive all season long. You yourself are on record as saying that you believe EJ Manuel will be the Bills starting QB on opening day in 2017. I find that scenario highly unlikely. It would be great though. As I've said numerous times, nothing would make me happier than the EJ dreamers getting to tell me that they told me so. That would be the best case scenario for the Bills for sure.

Winning the starting QB job this offseason would be a huge step forward for Manuel and his career as he has yet to actually win a starting QB job in either of his first two seasons. That doesn't mean that him winning the job means anyone gets to tell me "I told you so" just yet. What's even unlikelier than him winning the job- which Sal Capaccio currently has at 10%- would be him staying healthy, improving his game and being productive all season long. You yourself are on record as saying that you believe EJ Manuel will be the Bills starting QB on opening day in 2017. I find that scenario highly unlikely. It would be great though. As I've said numerous times, nothing would make me happier than the EJ dreamers getting to tell me that they told me so. That would be the best case scenario for the Bills for sure.

More unlikely than your prediction of Bryce Brown being a better running back than CJ Spiller? :)

More unlikely than your prediction of Bryce Brown being a better running back than CJ Spiller? :)

?? When in the world did I say that? I'm not sure I've ever even had much of an opinion on Bryce Brown one way or another. But sure, for what it's worth, the odds of Bryce Brown being a better running back than CJ Spiller are certainly better than the odds of EJ Manuel being the Bills' starting QB on opening day in 2017.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

unfortunately one way or the other the trolling will be full force. its black or white. you are either classified as a supporter or not.

IF EJ wins out then the detractors will catch flack. the worst of them know who they are.

and I can guarantee you that if EJ doesn't win out, then some of the detractors will be the worst at the "I told you so" postings.

These OTA's are not going to prove or disprove anything. So all the hubbub being posted means little.

#1. You're right.

#2. Maybe so.

Cassel in his best years was very productive. But those were long ago and that worries me. But if he wins the starting job and plays like his best year at KC, I'll be happy.

Hoping TT or EJ steps up isn't entirely a pipe-dream. Young QBs sometimes take big steps forward. Drew Brees took a huge step forward in his 4th year and didn't truly blossom until later with the Saints.

Sometimes even older QBs have breakout seasons late in their careers. Jim Plunkett floundered in mediocrity for a decade before becoming productive with the Raiders, for example.

Anyway, I'm a fan and fans live on hope. So I'm hoping Cassel plays like it's 2010, or EJ plays like Cassel did in 2010, or TT does the same.

The worst outcome of this battle for me is that Cassel wins it. Cassel to me is Orton. We know what he is which is mediocre. Tyrod or EJ could be something special. They could not be. If one of them can come out and take the job it would give hope for the future that the qb issue is solved. If Cassel wins it he is a placeholder for at best a couple of years and our search for a "franchise qb" continues.

I love this, because I find myself going though all the same speculation when I am driving home from a crap day. To me its all part of being a fan and I love it...

Napolean said an army runs on its stomach. Bills fans run on hope. Almost every season over the past 10+ years I reach a point where I say, "I'm done with the Bills" but soon enough the hope creeps back in and I'm back cheering them on.

The worst outcome of this battle for me is that Cassel wins it. Cassel to me is Orton. We know what he is which is mediocre. Tyrod or EJ could be something special. They could not be. If one of them can come out and take the job it would give hope for the future that the qb issue is solved. If Cassel wins it he is a placeholder for at best a couple of years and our search for a "franchise qb" continues.

This is exactly correct.

I am coming around to this type of thinking.

I think they are already scouting next years qb that will go early in the first round. its does not matter how any of them do.

But lets see something from the young guys and hope he is the backup to the backup and of course

veteran Mentor

This is exactly correct.

it is.

But back to EJ...

unfortunately one way or the other the trolling will be full force. its black or white. you are either classified as a supporter or not.

IF EJ wins out then the detractors will catch flack. the worst of them know who they are.

and I can guarantee you that if EJ doesn't win out, then some of the detractors will be the worst at the "I told you so" postings.

These OTA's are not going to prove or disprove anything. So all the hubbub being posted means little.

I utterly reject this notion that I have to be classified as a supporter, or detractor. Your own feelings notwithstanding, it is possible to be objective regarding EJ Manual. That means: acknowledging his potential, the improvements he has made, and his positive attributes, as well as his limitations, and the likelihood that he may overcome those limitations.

I am skeptical that he will ultimately rise above the level of backup. But, I acknowledge, and hope that he might. He certainly has the work ethic, and character. And, if he wins this competition, and takes us deep into a playoff run, I will have no apologies to make. It is only black and white for those that have cemented their opinions.