Petition for the Bills vs Jags game available on DirecTV

No way. This is a great thing for football fans, and technology. Why are people so attached to their cable and satellite providers?

Just hook your TV to the Internet already.

Because it completes the double-wide?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm signing because I pay for the Sunday Ticket to see Bills play. I've been a Bills fan since their inception. My internet connection doesn't have the capability to allow me to watch this game streaming live and it's the best internet option available where I live.

yeah, you definitely need to petition because that crap @ss DSL that comes bundled with it DEFINITELY won't be streaming it...lmao!!!

DSL is the new Dial-up

Edited by matter2003

Why? You clearly have internet, and the game is free. Why does it matter?

I pay for ALL the games on Sunday Ticket. I also pay for TIVO and record all the Bills game and re watch later. I won't be able to do that. I want what I paid for. Too much to ask?

ESPN ticker stated game will be shown in local markets on TV

The game was always going to be broadcast locally in Buffalo and Jacksonville, that's standard operating procedure for the London games.

Anyways, talk about your first world problems...

More people can see it online than DirecTV....Most people have internet....not everyone has DirecTV. What's your reasoning?

not so true. Most people in rural ares like me dont have high speed. Heck on the best day I may get 1k for speed. It is hard to watch a game without it buffering alot.

not so true. Most people in rural ares like me dont have high speed. Heck on the best day I may get 1k for speed. It is hard to watch a game without it buffering alot.

I didn't say all people.

yeah, you definitely need to petition because that crap @ss DSL that comes bundled with it DEFINITELY won't be streaming it...lmao!!!

DSL is the new Dial-up

yes. 72.9% of americans have access to HSI. That leaces 27.1% that do not. Of the 72% how many of them are satalite and if the stream the game will be throttled the rest of the month. Of those that do have HSI how many of them do not have fast enough internet because they cant get it like me? Not a good plan IMHO

I didn't say all people.

I didnt say all in my reply...your point?

I pay for ALL the games on Sunday Ticket. I also pay for TIVO and record all the Bills game and re watch later. I won't be able to do that. I want what I paid for. Too much to ask?

It's not on Sunday ticket, so you didn't pay for it.

Yahoo has exclusive live internet streaming rights. It does not have exclusive broadcast rights.

DirecTV may be prohibited from streaming the game through their optional package, but not prohibited from satellite broadcasting. It should be on the Sunday Ticket.

yes. 72.9% of americans have access to HSI. That leaces 27.1% that do not. Of the 72% how many of them are satalite and if the stream the game will be throttled the rest of the month. Of those that do have HSI how many of them do not have fast enough internet because they cant get it like me? Not a good plan IMHO

I didnt say all in my reply...your point?

because you said his post wasn't true, when it was

I think the point is......it should be made available both on the internet and on DirecTV for those that pay the cost Sunday Ticket charges.

I have Sunday Ticket. I'd much prefer to walk down my stairs, put the TV on at 9:30 AM and watch the Bills on my 65" HDTV. Instead, I will have to get the game up on my laptop.....hook the laptop up to the t.v. and watch the game at what will surely be a much lower quality picture. I'll also have to deal with all of the interruptions via internet connections, that Yahoo will surely encounter in what is essentially a guinea pig trial for them.

Now, for those that don't pay for Sunday Ticket, great, you can watcht he Bills games. For those that plunk down hundred of $'s to see "Every game, Every Sunday", though, not quite fair IMO. Give us both options, don't force me to watch it through Yahoo's live stream, when I pay big bucks to watch it through DirecTV's satellite feed.

So...because you don't have a technical setup that can do something as simple as display web video or your pc desktop to your screen with a push of a button..we should gold common sense innovation that games be shown on the internet instead of through regional carriers.

Instead of spending all that time on a petition figure out your setup or spend $30 and get a chromecast

Sadly I don't think this situation is going to change because the precedent has already been set - I understand last year's London game that started early in the morning was not on DTV, so I don't see how this year is going to be any different.

For those folks wondering what the fuss is about, you either live in the local market where you'll see it on TV or you have tremendous faith in the ability of Yahoo. I hope this works - I really do, but I have a long list of concerns:

- Inability of the system to support the viewership - how many times have you seen something streamed on the Internet that looks good and has no issues with buffering, pixylization, etc.? Yes, sports have been broadcast on the Internet before, but never as an exclusive for such a big event. Providers know (or should know) the size of their audience if they are only broadcasting to people who are subscribing to an event. Even if the event is not subscription, if there's another way to watch it (i.e. - TV broadcast), it's going to greatly reduce the number of people watching online. The Bills Jags game is not subscription and anyone who watches (outside of the local markets) MUST use Yahoo to see it.

- Inability to pause/record/watch later - I don't know about you, but I frequently pause the game and go back to watch something again. i also like to record it so I can go back and re-watch later - neither appeears to be an option with Yahoo.

- TV vs. Computer - I have a nice 55" TV in my living room - it's where I want to watch the game, not on my desktop or laptop on a small screen. Hooking the TV up to the Internet is a pain, and if the video quality is poor it's actually going to look worse on a big screen.

I pay for Sunday Ticket so I can hav an HD feed to my TV for every game, can pause/rewind and record it and watch it later - I don't get any of this with the Yahoo model.

ESPN and NBC stream Monday night and Sunday night games on their sites with no problems, correct?

Yes, I watch most Sunday Night and Monday Night games on my ipad streamed online without a problem (it's how I watch MLB & NBA as well).

This thread is leaving me thinking of this:

2767638386_d8efc6fb1f.jpg

i don't mind watching with my computer but the game should still be on TV-

either national network TV (it is a national game)

or directv.

remember when everyone was worried about the snow day game in detroit last season? DTV still showed it.

one way or the other it's on TV, not just streaming.

I'm really surprised at all the angst here. Every Game Every Sunday is a misnomer anyway. There are Sunday night games every week not on Sunday Ticket, I know they are on national tv but still. It's one game early in the AM between two teams that are not very popular. Bandwidth should be fine. Like I said before I've watched WWE live events that stream beautifully. There are plenty of ways to watch the game on the big screen.

I don't bother paying for DTV because I just don't like their packages. I watch the games at a local bar, which obviously uses DTV. With that said, bars where I am can't open early enough to play the game anyway.

I get people being upset because they pay for DTV. but for the people in the local markets will still get the game on the local station. Most other people will be ok or even happy with streaming it. This really effects a small group of people, and I get why they are upset.

But on a bigger note, I wouldn't be surprised if this is starting to spell the doom of SNT on DTV. With the addition of the thursday games, and now this streaming thing being tested, DTV might not want to pay all that money for the rights to these games. I wouldn't be surprised if it starts getting sold off to multiple cable providers until it is fully streamed from some site.

10-15 years from now, ill bet all the non national games get streamed and SNT is dead.

I don't bother paying for DTV because I just don't like their packages. I watch the games at a local bar, which obviously uses DTV. With that said, bars where I am can't open early enough to play the game anyway.

I get people being upset because they pay for DTV. but for the people in the local markets will still get the game on the local station. Most other people will be ok or even happy with streaming it. This really effects a small group of people, and I get why they are upset.

But on a bigger note, I wouldn't be surprised if this is starting to spell the doom of SNT on DTV. With the addition of the thursday games, and now this streaming thing being tested, DTV might not want to pay all that money for the rights to these games. I wouldn't be surprised if it starts getting sold off to multiple cable providers until it is fully streamed from some site.

10-15 years from now, ill bet all the non national games get streamed and SNT is dead.

3-5 years cable/satellite will be on its death bed.

The NFL is planning to do away with DTV. They want to replace it with direct internet streaming. This game is just to test it out. They want to know the click rate if the game is only shown on streaming. So all of us are lab rats. So they won't make the game available on DTV because it will mess up their experiment. They picked the game between two small market teams for a reason.

Who really cares about this game, really? I never watched one single toronto game and probably won't try to watch this overseas crap game either. I hate that the NFL wants games overseas, it just seems greedy and pointless to risk all the travel just to grab some euros.

Who really cares about this game, really? I never watched one single toronto game and probably won't try to watch this overseas crap game either. I hate that the NFL wants games overseas, it just seems greedy and pointless to risk all the travel just to grab some euros.

It's still the Bills....and it took me longer to fly from Philly to LA than it did from Philly to London.

The NFL is planning to do away with DTV. They want to replace it with direct internet streaming. This game is just to test it out. They want to know the click rate if the game is only shown on streaming. So all of us are lab rats. So they won't make the game available on DTV because it will mess up their experiment. They picked the game between two small market teams for a reason.

How do you know this?

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/directv-finally-cements-renewal-of-nfl-sunday-ticket-contract/

Edited by nucci

I wish DirecTV actually had any control over the NFL Sunday Ticket. Too bad its league produced who just provides the exclusive rights to DirecTV as part of their sponsorship. Im sure if DirecTV controlled the Sunday Ticket, they'd love to broadcast it and generate viewership and revenue.

Anyone who thinks DirecTV controls the NFL Sunday Ticket, just does not understand the TV market and basic business sponsorship practice. (Example: just like DirecTV does not control what is broadcast on ESPN, ABC, NBC, HBO, AMC....etc.).

So people complaining about DirecTV in this thread need to stop. This is a broadcasting decision made by the NFL. Simple.

And those threatening to leave DirecTV, life isn't better on the other side. I switched to FIOS 7 months ago and its the worst decision I ever made. They offered a cool deal, I jumped without doing the research. Next thing I know I had a 2 year contact. FIOS internet is the best, amazing actually, never a buffer. However, the TV service is absolute garbage. DirecTV offered a much larger selection of sports channels, which I miss. FIOS has a horrible picture quality compared to DirecTV. DirecTV is actually starting to broadcast content in 4K now, which makes me even more pissed about leaving them. FIOS will not be offering that anytime soon. Im sick of the annoying FIOS advertisements on the channel guide. Then those annoying gadgets, FIOS has that randomly boot up when you're watching TV. Since I've had FIOS, they have taken away 12 channels out of my package. Then the insane amount in taxes that FIOS charges, how does FIOS have almost $25 in taxes, when I never paid more than $10 for DirecTV taxes? Oh and FIOS equipment cost are more than DirecTV yet the equipment is worse. I've had FIOS for 7 months and have replaced a box 4 times because of malfunctions. I had DirecTV for almost 6 years, I had to replace a box once.

Sure DirecTV went out occasionally during snowstorms and heavy rain, but it was usually automatically reconnected to another satellite hub or rebooted within 2-3 minutes. I never had to wait 1-3 hours for the cable company to fix the problem, like I do with FIOS. The longest I ever remember DirecTV being out for was around 20 minutes. If snow built up on the dish, It was attached to the side of my house, and it took me 30 seconds to grab a broom and go outside to tap the snow off of it and it was working again. Not to mention DirecTV can still work when the power goes out with a generator, you can't do that with FIOS. DirecTV was hands down the better service provider (better quality), and even the customer service was more pleasant. Verizon might have the worst customer service of any business I know. The bundle is extremely overrated.

All I know is I am paying the FIOS cancellation fees in August and going back to DirecTV just in time for football and hockey season. I miss my sports selection and TV service quality I had with DirecTV. I plan on keeping the internet with FIOS and having my TV service with DirecTV. Two of my neighbors and my brother just switched back to DirecTV and cancelled their FIOS service as well. I've been seeing alot of DirecTV dishes being installed in my neighborhood lately,

What happens when the yahoo feed crashes when all 75 fans in Jacksonville log on?

funny but the technical aspects are part of the test. not that the NFL would ever turn down an offer based on lack of viewer satisfaction.

correction to what was posted previously- after a little digging the game will not be broadcast as a network game or on Sunday Ticket. Only to local viewers in each market.

So Yahoo gets the exclusive riights within the law of the NFL TV contracts.

It's a big experiment.

Also after a little more digging the best way to view the game will be on "Yahoo Screen", a new Netflix like app that comes bundled with new Roku set top boxes, Apple TV and a free download for Android on google play.

Not only a big experiment for the NFL trying to find additional and global based revenue, but a grab for Yahoo Screen as a subscriber based outlet and Netflix competitor.

My personal viewing method will be an existing Acer android tablet connected to home wifi, download "yahoo screen" and connect to the main TV with a $6.95 micro hdmi to hdmi cable.

I already have a networked player (sony blu ray player) that plays Netflix very well. Ideally I would like to be able to download and install Yaoo Screen on that device, but not possible at present.

Edited by jethro_tull

How many bars are open at 9:00 AM on a Sunday ??

They are if they are a backers bar. I used to watch the Bills with the group in Santa Monica. It was a great group, but for one problem: they would close all the windows, and while the pregame stuff was on, it didn't take much for my body to convince itself it was really noon.

And noon is the perfect time for a pitcher of beer and order of wings while you get ready for the game.

9 a.m.? Not so much.