The press speculates on EJ's future

Now this is what I'm talking about. Buscaglia starts the piece with this:

"As a football reporter, you check in with everyone you can to try and get a feel for what the team you cover will do with their selections. Sometimes, a byproduct of that is hearing things about the team that you didn't believe would be an option. And then you start asking more and more people about that topic, and eventually it becomes something you can't ignore. This year's digging led to one conclusion:"

Let's assume for a second that he's NOT lying. From that, let's assume that he actually dug - spoke to people in the organization, people on other teams who are aware of the situation in Buffalo, etc. That's not an opinion. That's informed speculation based on reporting work.

In JB's case, from reading a lot he has written and hearing a couple hundred reports he has given, he is hearing something he wants to hear.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In JB's case, from reading a lot he has written and hearing a couple hundred reports he has given, he is hearing something he wants to hear.

I don't know that, and neither do you! He may well have spoken with people who are informed about the situation.

I don't know that, and neither do you! He may well have spoken with people who are informed about the situation.

The point is, it is blatantly and glaringly obvious. Every single person who has spoken about EJ says the exact same thing, including EJ himself. We have heard a lot of guys talk about him. They say exactly the same thing. This is a make or break year for him. He has to put it all together. He has to show he can be the guy. If he can't he doesn't have a future on this team.

The Friggin QB Whisperer Buffalo Barbarian could have told you that.

Rex and Roman have zero idea how EJ is going to play in this offense when it starts. Rex has said he was very impressed the last few times but it means nothing until they get in training camp.

"As a football reporter draft analyst you check in with everyone you can to try and get a feel for what the team you cover will do with their selections. Sometimes, a byproduct of that is hearing things about the team that you didn't believe would be an option. And then you start asking more and more people about that topic, and eventually it becomes something you can't ignore. This year's digging led to one conclusion:"

Insert Kiper or any of the other draft 'experts' into that quote and think of it in terms of how they operate leading up to the draft. Now look at how accurate those guys are after "checking in with everyone."

Still think Joe B has a handle on what's really happening?

EJ has been a tremendous disappointment.

Think about it. Last year was THE YEAR. No more excuses. We traded up for Sammy. Went ALL IN on EJ.

Then the team gave up on him after 4 games and started an out of shape guy who barely cared about football and showed up after Labor Day so he didn't have to exercise in the heat.

What more evidence do you need?

Anyone who wants to ride to his defense at this point just WANTS to believe he has shown promise.

I'm certainly no EJ apologist, but doesn't it make more sense to let the summer play out before we jump too deep on this cutting him talk? Give him the opportunity to succeed, or the rope he needs to hang himself with, and then see what comes of it. My money isn't on him, I like Tyrod's chances better, but my money's been wrong before. Let's let it play out.

I'm certainly no EJ apologist, but doesn't it make more sense to let the summer play out before we jump too deep on this cutting him talk? Give him the opportunity to succeed, or the rope he needs to hang himself with, and then see what comes of it. My money isn't on him, I like Tyrod's chances better, but my money's been wrong before. Let's let it play out.

I don't think anyone is saying to cut him before he's had a chance to compete. If anyone is then I missed it and they shouldn't be listened to anyway.

Let's be realistic here and realize that EJ is more than likely going to be a bust. It happens. He won't be the first guy who amounted to nothing despite having a great personality and all the physical tools. It happens just about every year. Right now he's about to compete for a starting job against Matt Cassel and Tyrod Taylor and is not even considered the favorite to win the job. Just think about those names that he's going up against and realize that he's still not the clear front runner. That should really tell us all we need to know about EJ's ability to be an NFL QB.

Edited by Bangarang

Think about it. Last year was THE YEAR. No more excuses. We traded up for Sammy. Went ALL IN on EJ.

Then the team gave up on him after 4 games and started an out of shape guy who barely cared about football and showed up after Labor Day so he didn't have to exercise in the heat.

Anyone who wants to ride to his defense at this point just WANTS to believe he has shown promise.

I need to see EJ Manuel under Greg Roman's tutelage and not Doug Marrone's. That's the evidence me and all the other supporters are waiting for.

Why? Because we think that Doug Marrone was in way over his head with regards to NFL offenses and seemed to only pretend he knew what he was doing (Bills offense didn't perform that much better under Orton).

That doesn't mean the supporters think EJ will make it, just that we need to see Manuel under Roman before closing the book on him.

I need to see EJ Manuel under Greg Roman's tutelage and not Doug Marrone's. That's the evidence me and all the other supporters are waiting for.

Why? Because we think that Doug Marrone was in way over his head with regards to NFL offenses and seemed to only pretend he knew what he was doing (Bills offense didn't perform that much better under Orton).

That doesn't mean the supporters think EJ will make it, just that we need to see Manuel under Roman before closing the book on him.

That's really all there is to it for me. A lot of people have written EJ off. Fine. There is a better chance that he will never be good than good, but that is true of all of these guys.

Ultimately, we have Cassel as a veteran failsafe. He can play if we need him to. Taylor is a wildcard.

EJ is Kujo. He's got a lot of talent. He failed last year but there is a decent chance it was because of the situation he was brought into. Some people think he has proven he sucks and can never be good. Fine. But he's like getting an extra first round pick. With the right coaching (which we may have) and the right players around him (which we do have) he just may be good. Just don't bet on it.

Great point because St. Doug is a flawless decision maker. :rolleyes:

Rex gets a woody for QBs that can run like this. He traded for Tebow, and signed Vick. Perhaps its his defensive mind has a harder time figuring out how to defend them. If it looks like EJ's arm is no better than this guys, I could see him reasoning he might as well stay with the more Mobile guy.

Edited by JTSP

Rex gets a woody for QBs that can run like this. He traded for Tebow, and signed Vick. Perhaps its his defensive mind has a harder time figuring out how to defend them. If it looks like EJ's arm is no better than this guys, I could see him reasoning he might as well stay with the more Mobile guy.

A short run around QB as the starter. No thanks.

Great point because St. Doug is a flawless decision maker. :rolleyes:

I am no fan of maroon. obviously. but like all HC's he was under pressure to win. I do not remember a lot of tears shed pulling EJ after the Houston game. i would have pulled him the year before after the Bucs game. The Worst Bills game in years. the whole team sucked but EJ really sucked.

he is/was a draft project, and a big reach. No one ever argued that. At least that's the way I remember it.

if not for a slip on the mat I don't think he would have seen the field as a rookie. Well, until the man of glass would have got injured eventually......

i wish EJ luck with his next team. whenever that day arrives. maybe Kelly can salvage him, or at least make him look good like Sanchez did for a few games. he is a great kid I wonder what his stock price is trending at?

I am no fan of maroon. obviously. but like all HC's he was under pressure to win. I do not remember a lot of tears shed pulling EJ after the Houston game. i would have pulled him the year before after the Bucs game. The Worst Bills game in years. the whole team sucked but EJ really sucked.

he is/was a draft project, and a big reach. No one ever argued that. At least that's the way I remember it.

if not for a slip on the mat I don't think he would have seen the field as a rookie. Well, until the man of glass would have got injured eventually......

i wish EJ luck with his next team. whenever that day arrives. maybe Kelly can salvage him, or at least make him look good like Sanchez did for a few games. he is a great kid I wonder what his stock price is trending at?

Just mix ingredients with water and poof! You have a good NFL QB.

Now this is what I'm talking about. Buscaglia starts the piece with this:

"As a football reporter, you check in with everyone you can to try and get a feel for what the team you cover will do with their selections. Sometimes, a byproduct of that is hearing things about the team that you didn't believe would be an option. And then you start asking more and more people about that topic, and eventually it becomes something you can't ignore. This year's digging led to one conclusion:"

Let's assume for a second that he's NOT lying. From that, let's assume that he actually dug - spoke to people in the organization, people on other teams who are aware of the situation in Buffalo, etc. That's not an opinion. That's informed speculation based on reporting work.

Joe B would have more cred if he actually ever broke a Bill story. He never does. The national media always breaks Bills news first. It's kinda sad really.

I don't think his sources are that great. None of the local guys are besides Carucci. He's guessing like everyone else.

I used to like Buscaglia but this is the garbage I can't stand. He has an axe to grind with EJ. Probably he is jealous that he was a star QB at FSU taking down hot girls while he was some geeky nobody who couldn't last at FSU. It's so petty.

I'm so sick of this talk. Let's just see them play. I prefer EJ and then Taylor. It's crazy that EJ, who was in almost everyway a better prospect than Taylor or Cassel, gets discounted. But dude needs to prove it.

lol, scoreboard, son

Why does Tyrod get dismissed so quickly around here?

This just in: EJ and Cassel are terrible

Because Tyrod is a less accurate less athletic Michael Vick. Let that sink in just for a bit.

And the stuff about EJ better have gotten better or he will be cut. If he can't win a QB competition against two journeymen career backups his future is a career backup at best anyway.

So of course he's getting let go of he can't beat out Vick0.5 and lost my job to Brady Quinn Cassell

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Since the Buscaglia thread is closed, I'll comment here.

This article screams of trying to put JB's name on the national sports reporter map.

So If Manuel doesn't outplay Cassel or Taylor he'll be cut? No crap. The same can be said about Cassel and Taylor. The Bills won't carry 3 QB's on their roster, and unless one can be a practice squad guy that's a no brainer.

I believe Carrucci more when he says that the job is EJ's to lose. Any one with common sense can see that Marrone and Hackett made EJ so cautious that they ruined the kids confidence. EJ's comments scream of needing a fresh start and being able to be the QB he knows he can be, instead of being asked to be a QB that he cannot.

I think we'll see a different QB this pre season. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me to see Manuel and Taylor make it. If they both shine, Cassel will be the odd man out.

Joe B would have more cred if he actually ever broke a Bill story. He never does. The national media always breaks Bills news first. It's kinda sad really.

I don't think his sources are that great. None of the local guys are besides Carucci. He's guessing like everyone else.

You seriously don't know that.

Its not what we may think it's what Rex thinks and whaley let's him do that matters. But I have strong sense Rex loves this. And he does seem worth a serious look.

Rex likes Tyrod alright and he gets a fair shot. However, IMHO, Rex sees him filling the Brad Smith/Tim Tebow/Michael Vick role. Have your ball control QB and then bring in X factor guy yo run a few plays now and again. Like a satrong defense, every Rex team has had one so far.

Since the Buscaglia thread is closed, I'll comment here.

This article screams of trying to put JB's name on the national sports reporter map.

So If Manuel doesn't outplay Cassel or Taylor he'll be cut? No crap. The same can be said about Cassel and Taylor. The Bills won't carry 3 QB's on their roster, and unless one can be a practice squad guy that's a no brainer.

I believe Carrucci more when he says that the job is EJ's to lose. Any one with common sense can see that Marrone and Hackett made EJ so cautious that they ruined the kids confidence. EJ's comments scream of needing a fresh start and being able to be the QB he knows he can be, instead of being asked to be a QB that he cannot.

I think we'll see a different QB this pre season. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me to see Manuel and Taylor make it. If they both shine, Cassel will be the odd man out.

So let me get this straight. They are going to cut EJ and cost themselves more in salary cap space this year when they barely have any room as it is, instead of keeping him on the roster? I just don't see it. If they decide to keep Jeff Tuel instead of EJ I would seriously question what is going on over there...

Prove me wrong Dave. I used to follow the guy on Twitter until it became obviously he doesn't really have any connections.

Shefter and Rappaport break every story with the Bills.

That's easy. They share the same agency as a lot of the players & coaches, so naturally the agency will feather its bed first.

lol, scoreboard, son

LOL myself. Why, if not for this performance, Tyrod Taylor never would have skyrocketed the 6th round of the draft. Glad he had a good game in the 2010 ACC Championship, though. But he was every bit as raw coming out as Manuel.

GO BILLS!!!

Hey, Hokie, check out the Panic thread. Chap there had some stuff to say about Taylor in college, I had some questions, would love to hear your take.

I know you're a Taylor fan, and I'm not trying to diss your boy, really I'm not. No QB has done anything in the league until he gets a chance.

My point is that Kaep was seen (at draft time) in a different place than Tyrod - he had more passing yards as a freshman than Taylor achieved until he was a Sr. He has that big, physical build. So he was seen as "looking the way you want your QB to look" and as being more of a passer in college, and it was reflected in his draft status (2nd round vs 6th round). And when he came off the bench his 2nd season he lit the place up, 65-70% completions. (then of course, he regressed a bit)

In his only real NFL appearance, Taylor has not looked so impressive. That's not to say he couldn't be more impressive given more of a chance. The point is that I don't think it's fair to see him as Kaep 2.0. For better or for worse, he's a different QB. Wilson, might be a better comparator?

1. VT is and has always been a run heavy offensive team team. In D1A, only they and Nebraska have NEVER had a 1000 yd receiver in their history. QB history includes 2 Vicks, TT, Bryan Randall and Don Strock. WR include Andre Davis, Jarrett Boykin and Antonio Freeman.

2. Did not play with the Ravens #1's. Flacco would never allow that. TT and #2's did beat Flacco and the #1's on the reg in TC under Kubiak.

3. Here's TT with Kaep - they're buds and work out together - dude is a beast and how I'd want my QB to look - no homo: http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Tyrod-Taylor-Trains-With-Colin-Kaepernick/b6d872db-c54a-47f2-8b94-6cd32824ff9d

LOL myself. Why, if not for this performance, Tyrod Taylor never would have skyrocketed the 6th round of the draft. Glad he had a good game in the 2010 ACC Championship, though. But he was every bit as raw coming out as Manuel.

GO BILLS!!!

That was the second ACCCG TT lit up for W - to EJ's nada.

Last season you were dumb if you weren't on board with Marrone.

Just fans being fans,which is fine but don't pretend like it's suddenly logical to expect anything from EJ just because you want to buy in.

Sure give him a shot but I would be shocked if he suddenly looked like an NFL QB

I actually think there is a good possibility the story was leaked. That was what happened last time Joe B "broke a story" which was dinner with Bryce Petty.

Maybe just to light a fire under EJ

Also the fact that Carucci had a similar story with a bit of a different angle - the Bills have used him to leak info in the past

Edited by YoloinOhio

That was the second ACCCG TT lit up for W - to EJ's nada.

Doesn't matter. He had more question marks coming out of college. And to reduce any game down to a battle between QBs is shortsighted. There are 20 other guys who have something to say about the outcome of any particular game. But if you need to make the ACC championship games the telltale sign that Taylor was better than Manuel in college, have at it. There isn't a scout on the planet that agrees.

GO BILLS!!!