The press speculates on EJ's future

I think a better analogy is [fill in the blank first round QB] gets cut by Cleveland. The handwriting was on the wall for Clausen when Carolina immediately drafted Cam who was going to be the clear No. 1, while the rest of the team hated Clausen. Buffalo doesn't have a clear No. 1, so it is a story that EJ would be fully removed if he doesn't win the starting job.

Would it be that different from Gabbert getting traded if we dangle him out there for a 6th/7th?

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would it be that different from Gabbert getting traded if we dangle him out there for a 6th/7th?

Wasn't he traded after the Jaguars found a more worthy project in Bortles?

I don't think Cassel or Taylor qualify as that.

Edit: I looked it up, and he was traded in March it looks like. The Jaguars picked 3rd though, so I assume they were confident they'd get their guy, and this was the plan.

Edited by What a Tuel

I think a better analogy is [fill in the blank first round QB] gets cut by Cleveland. The handwriting was on the wall for Clausen when Carolina immediately drafted Cam who was going to be the clear No. 1, while the rest of the team hated Clausen. Buffalo doesn't have a clear No. 1, so it is a story that EJ would be fully removed if he doesn't win the starting job.

That's not really what JB said though, that is what Carrucci said. JB said if he doesn't show good progress, he may not be on the team. Well, duh...

Some of his points in the article are absolutely accurate about EJs problems. But it's also the 95th time he has written or said the same thing.

As I said before, the competition for a roster spot is between EJ and Tyrod. Whoever comes out ahead stays, whoever loses goes. Cassell will be on the roster as a game managing backup/short-term starter.

Just doesn't make sense to me...if they do that, and suffer an injury, they have no backup.

Just doesn't make sense to me...if they do that, and suffer an injury, they have no backup.

True, but that is the case with all of the teams that only keep two, and there are a number of them.

Reminds me of a scene in an all time great movie Two For The Road starring Audrey Hepburn and Albert Finny, when William Daniels loses his car keys but refuses to use the spare key because if he does he will no longer have a spare key.

True, but that is the case with all of the teams that only keep two, and there are a number of them.

Reminds me of a scene in an all time great movie Two For The Road starring Audrey Hepburn and Albert Finny, when William Daniels loses his car keys but refuses to use the spare key because if he does he will no longer have a spare key.

if they want the QBs to use their legs like Rex said, they will need 3 imo

I know what you're saying for sure...I guess my rebuttal (if you want to call it that) would be that I doubt nearly 40% of the population loses their primary car key on an annual basis.

You don't, but does the coaching staff/FO?

Maybe. I gotta tell you, I love the Rex hire and I think he is doing great so far with what he can do these few short months, but I am getting the nagging impression from posters here that Taylor has an in, because Rex has this itch for him (he even wanted to trade for him with the Jets). Obviously Rex has a better view of the situation than any of us, but it just rubs me the wrong way that there was this hidden gem of a QB on the Ravens and that it is a foregone conclusion that he would even be a better backup than Manuel let alone starter.

In the grand scheme of things, my opinion matters little but Taylor will have to prove something to me before I feel comfortable saying cut/trade Manuel, whether it be Cassel or Taylor we have our starter/backup. At the current level, to the best of my knowledge, it should go Cassel - Manuel - Taylor. (I reallllllly hope it doesn't turn out that way). Just like we are waiting for Manuel to improve, Taylor has to wow us.

Edited by What a Tuel

Maybe. I gotta tell you, I love the Rex hire and I think he is doing great so far with what he can do these few short months, but I am getting the nagging impression from posters here that Taylor has an in, because Rex has this itch for him (he even wanted to trade for him with the Jets). Obviously Rex has a better view of the situation than any of us, but it just rubs me the wrong way that there was this hidden gem of a QB on the Ravens and that it is a foregone conclusion that he would even be a better backup than Manuel let alone starter.

In the grand scheme of things, my opinion matters little but Taylor will have to prove something to me before I feel comfortable saying cut/trade Manuel, whether it be Cassel or Taylor we have our starter/backup. At the current level, to the best of my knowledge, it should go Cassel - Manuel - Taylor. (I reallllllly hope it doesn't turn out that way). Just like we are waiting for Manuel to improve, Taylor has to wow us.

Not only that, which I mostly agree with, but IMO rex is going to defer to Greg Roman on who the QB should be, and is not going to force Taylor on him if Roman thinks the offense works best with Cassel or EJ.

Luckily for us, this is speculation about August or later. By then we will have a much better idea of Manuel's progress and what Taylor brings to the table on an NFL level.

poor Weeden... They don't even make fun of him anymore.

I was expecting the obligatory "The Browns can pick him up and give him a shot" mention. Not even that. Just Bobby saying "the problem with the Bills is they've added a bunch of guys and now only have $7 mil in cap space". Brilliant Bobby, the problem with the team is we've added talent and have less cap space.

I was expecting the obligatory "The Browns can pick him up and give him a shot" mention. Not even that. Just Bobby saying "the problem with the Bills is they've added a bunch of guys and now only have $7 mil in cap space". Brilliant Bobby, the problem with the team is we've added talent and have less cap space.

he was reading right from PFT. He had no clue.