The press speculates on EJ's future

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course if Chip Kelly claimed EJ if he was cut, that should mean something. Ryan doesn't exactly have a great history of developing QBs.

That's and interesting statement. What current starting QB's in the league have been "developed" by their HC? Maybe Eli Manning could fall into this category, he's the only one I can think of, and I'm not really sure about him. Rex had Sanchez and I think he got all he could get out of him, there wasn't much more there. He played well at times in Philly under Chip's system, but he's still average. And he didn't have a lot of time with Gino,so I'm not sure that's a fair statement. Interesting topic though...

Edited by ricojes

Rogers...

I did think of him as a possibility. But he was behind a hall of fame QB, might have been more Favre than the coach. And he probably could have started a couple years prior had they not had Favre.

Edited by ricojes

I did think of him as a possibility. But he was behind a hall of fame QB, might have been more Favre than the coach. And he probably could have started a couple years prior had they not had Favre.

Favre was never a mentor. He was way too competitive and howled at the moon when Green Bay decided to go with Rogers in 2008...

http://www.guyhut.com/nfl/brett-favre-packers-mentor-aaron-rodgers/

Edited by Lurker

Favre was never a mentor. He was way too competitive and howled at the moon when Green Bay decided to go with Rogers in 2008...

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/brett-favre-not-job-mentor-110000456.html

No, but you can learn a lot from watching him practice, play, the way he calls signals in the huddle, audible, etc...

Edited by ricojes

There is no "axe to grind" with EJ. He just hasn't been any good. This team is trying to WIN, not lose close to the good teams and call it a W.

Unless EJ really impresses there is no real reason to keep him around.

Sad but true.

I think that's a bit of hyperbole there. He went 4-6 as a rookie starter and 2-2 last year.

Nevertheless, I would rather keep the kid here and have a guy in the fold that I know can at least acquit himself in NFL duty than get rid of him. Especially since his contract is fully guaranteed, and it would cost the team almost $3M in cap space to cut him. They really gain nothing aside from a roster space by getting rid of EJ.

Now, if he goes into the tank, they can cut him after the start of the next league year with basically no repercussions money-wise, since his cap number is the same whether he's here or not.

I'm pulling for EJ to turn the corner and get the starting job back, but if Cassel proves to be better right now, then so be it. Either way, EJ stays on the roster unless he stinks the place up badly during the competition.

GO BILLS!!!!

I used to like Buscaglia but this is the garbage I can't stand. He has an axe to grind with EJ. Probably he is jealous that he was a star QB at FSU taking down hot girls while he was some geeky nobody who couldn't last at FSU. It's so petty.

I'm so sick of this talk. Let's just see them play. I prefer EJ and then Taylor. It's crazy that EJ, who was in almost everyway a better prospect than Taylor or Cassel, gets discounted. But dude needs to prove it.

Maybe his name should be changed to Joke B? :lol:

i personally don't think he is going to start, or get cut, or get traded. It's possible if Taylor lights it up and they only want to keep two active QBs because of want for other players at different positions to keep on the team. I'm sure that's a real consideration.

That said, another team may trade a 6 or 7 pick for him because even if he didn't show all that much in the preseason, he still has a better chance of being a legitimate NFL starter or solid backup than any random 6th or 7th round pick. Far better.

Boy, all these Bills are about to dump EJ threads are popping up all over the place. So you have to wonder why they suddenly appeared at the same time and I'm not referring to the reposting of Joe B's or Carucci's pieces. It could be a coincidence or could be not.

Having said that, I see why he wouldn't make the final roster if he doesn't win the starting job. he has proven that he can be an effective backup in the league. But, Bills already have a lot invested in a backup position with Cassell & Taylor. It would be silly to have three No. 2 QBs on the roster. Of course it would be equally silly to cut EJ outright as there would be demand for a decent No. 2 who's still relatively cheap.

he was quoted years ago as having a zero relationship with Favre. If i remember it correctly Favre didn't even talk to him.

Boy, all these Bills are about to dump EJ threads are popping up all over the place. So you have to wonder why they suddenly appeared at the same time and I'm not referring to the reposting of Joe B's or Carucci's pieces. It could be a coincidence or could be not.

Having said that, I see why he wouldn't make the final roster if he doesn't win the starting job. he has proven that he can be an effective backup in the league. But, Bills already have a lot invested in a backup position with Cassell & Taylor. It would be silly to have three No. 2 QBs on the roster. Of course it would be equally silly to cut EJ outright as there would be demand for a decent No. 2 who's still relatively cheap.

But they are ridiculous articles and summations. I understand there is not a lot of news right now and the writers have to pen stories. But, for example, JB's article said if EJ doesn't improve he may not make this 53. Hello? Even the biggest EJ fanboy would agree to that and probably want that. The entire EJ possibility is based on him improving (or showing he always had it but wasn't put in a position to show it). That's not reporting, or insight, or predicting, or astute observation, or anything worthy of being typed. That's like saying if an UDFA doesn't play well and beat out his competition he's not going to make the team.

Whatever search engine engine you use knows what stories you click on. If you read a couple EJ Manuel stories. it's going to send every one it can find. And writers know what is trending, so they write (or are told to write) stories on those subjects. So there is a rash of articles about "Will the Bills cut EJM?" stories right now. I haven't seen anything from the Bills about it. Bills fans are obviously very interested in the QB situation, so that is what gets written about.

It feeds on itself.

Cutting ej during or after training camp cost the Bills 2.4 in dead money this year and 2.8 in dead money next year. Not cutting him costs the Bills the same amount of money against the cap. Its really not that much of a hit. If he is going to be the third QB, they might want to use the roster spot on someone else.

This is all contingent on how he looks in camp. If he looks good, I think he'll be here. But his contract is not such that he is guaranteed a roster spot regardless of his performance.

Trading him would be ideal, as we would save about 1.6 million on the cap next year.

But they are ridiculous articles and summations. I understand there is not a lot of news right now and the writers have to pen stories. But, for example, JB's article said if EJ doesn't improve he may not make this 53. Hello? Even the biggest EJ fanboy would agree to that and probably want that. The entire EJ possibility is based on him improving (or showing he always had it but wasn't put in a position to show it). That's not reporting, or insight, or predicting, or astute observation, or anything worthy of being typed. That's like saying if an UDFA doesn't play well and beat out his competition he's not going to make the team.

That's why it's not an apt analogy. EJ was a first round pick and potential franchise savior after his fast rookie start. To go from that to possibly being cut after camp is a big story. It would be a non-event if the storyline was that EJ would sit on the bench if he didn't win the starting job.

That's why it's not an apt analogy. EJ was a first round pick and potential franchise savior after his fast rookie start. To go from that to possibly being cut after camp is a big story. It would be a non-event if the storyline was that EJ would sit on the bench if he didn't win the starting job.

It's Jimmy Clausen gets cut by Carolina. It's a story but it's no surprise and no real story IF there is no improvement. It's also obvious to virtually everyone everywhere. It's like writing a story that says "If EJ improves a lot he will make the team!"

It's Jimmy Clausen gets cut by Carolina. It's a story but it's no surprise and no real story IF there is no improvement. It's also obvious to virtually everyone everywhere. It's like writing a story that says "If EJ improves a lot he will make the team!"

I think a better analogy is [fill in the blank first round QB] gets cut by Cleveland. The handwriting was on the wall for Clausen when Carolina immediately drafted Cam who was going to be the clear No. 1, while the rest of the team hated Clausen. Buffalo doesn't have a clear No. 1, so it is a story that EJ would be fully removed if he doesn't win the starting job.