Fallout from possible Dareus extension

First of all... I am all for the Dareus extension.. .let's get it done.

Secondly.. there will be costs ( not just financial) associated with this extension due to salary cap ramifications... particularly in 2016.

What are you willing to give up in future years in order lock up Dareus long term? Are you willing to give up Percy Harvin? Leodis McKelvin? Chris Williams ( ok.. CW is kind of a no brainer)? What if a high quality FA QB pops up on the market in 2016( Phillip Rivers/ Brees???) and we don't have the cap space to sign them due to the Dareus extension?

Also.. Mario Williams will certainly need to restructure his deal to give the Bills some breathing room in 2016 and beyond if Dareus extends. Do you think Mario will restructure?

According to http://overthecap.com/calculator/buffalo-bills/ here's what the Bills situation looks like now...( pre Dareus restructure)

2015 - $6.5 mil in cap space

2016 - $1.5 mil in cap space

We certainly have room in 2015 to restructure Dareus .. however.. after plugging in a reasonable contract for Dareus into this tool... the Bills will certainly go over the cap substantially in 2016.. and that is after assuming the Bills cut Williams, Harvin and McKelvin in 2016 to get under the cap. The only way we can get this done and make it work long term is to have Super Mario restructure.. and even if he does that .. we will only have ~ $5 mil or so to spend for FA and rookies in 2016.

So here's the hypothetical.... would you be willing to let Dareus go in order to free up money in 2016 for the cap room to sign/ trade for the best FA vet QB on the market in 2016?

Secondly.. there will be costs ( not just financial) associated with this extension due to salary cap ramifications... particularly in 2016.

What are you willing to give up in future years in order lock up Dareus long term? Are you willing to give up Percy Harvin? Leodis McKelvin? Chris Williams ( ok.. CW is kind of a no brainer)? What if a high quality FA QB pops up on the market in 2016( Phillip Rivers/ Brees???) and we don't have the cap space to sign them due to the Dareus extension?

Also.. Mario Williams will certainly need to restructure his deal to give the Bills some breathing room in 2016 and beyond if Dareus extends. Do you think Mario will restructure?

According to http://overthecap.com/calculator/buffalo-bills/ here's what the Bills situation looks like now...( pre Dareus restructure)

We certainly have room in 2015 to restructure Dareus .. however.. after plugging in a reasonable contract for Dareus into this tool... the Bills will certainly go over the cap substantially in 2016.. and that is after assuming the Bills cut Williams, Harvin and McKelvin in 2016 to get under the cap. The only way we can get this done and make it work long term is to have Super Mario restructure.. and even if he does that .. we will only have ~ $5 mil or so to spend for FA and rookies in 2016.

So here's the hypothetical.... would you be willing to let Dareus go in order to free up money in 2016 for the cap room to sign/ trade for the best FA vet QB on the market in 2016?

No. I want to sign Dareus. I think the answer lies in signing Mario to a new deal instead of restructuring. It gives him a huge sum of money up front, but allows the team to spread the cap hit over the entire contract. In theory, if they gave him a new, 4-year deal worth $65M with $32M guaranteed, they could load 1/4 of the contract into base salary in the final year, keep the base salaries low for the 1st 3 years, and bring his cap hit down to $11Mish for the next 3 years.

That would create the cap relief they need, and give them an opportunity to let him go after 3 more years without a huge dead money hit.

Dareus' deal probably won't have a huge hit in the first year (same with Glenn, Bradham, and Gilmore), so that means that they can throw a big 1st-year sum at a QB if they so choose.

JMO

You have to wonder why any decent QB would become available. I guess I'm asking if you'd rather the bird in the hand?

I agree .. a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. And Dareus is a rare bird.

Just making the point that we will have very little FA money and not much flexibility to extend others the next few years if we restructure Dareus now.

I agree .. a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. And Dareus is a rare bird.

Just making the point that we will have very little FA money and not much flexibility to extend others the next few years if we restructure Dareus now.

I'm all for signing Dareus, but what is the plan at qb? Are we just going to keep getting mediocre qbs and hoping that someone, anyone can lead this team back? I don't follow a lot of college, so I have no idea what they are doing at that vital position. Edited by seq004

whaley announced the Bills will not be big players in the FA market next year for this reason. He said they will be focusing on signing their own FAs (specifically named Dareus, Glenn, Gilmore, Bradham) and that the 2016 draft will be a huge one as well as they need to add cheap talent (paraphrasing) in lieu of FA next year

Bills will define about 11 core players -- who will have more than one contract cycle with the team...

- 4 Defensive Lineman

- Preston Brown

- Gilmore

- Watkins

- Clay

- An OL (likely a T)

- A QB

- McCoy

Get ready for a lot of movement outside of this group. This group will likely take up 60% the cap or $90 million....leaving about $60 million for the remaining 40 salaries (the 51 highest salaries count toward the cap)...which is a $1.5 million average...for every $4 million a year guy in the bottom 40 the Bills need 3 $700,000 guys to balance this out...lots of rookies, street free agents make up the last 20 or so guys on the top 51...scouting is key.

There is no need at all for this sort of panic. Though it is difficult to determine the current top 51 for 2016 at this point, I'll stick with your $1.5M of cap space next year.

The cap will be going up by around $10M...bringing cap space to $11.5M.

We will carry over the $7M from this year....... $18.5M.

The Harvin contract has already been triggered so yrs 2&3 are void...adding $8M from your figures....... $26.5M

The $10M lump payment for Clay will undoubtedly be reworked to a new SB adding $7.5M($8M?)....... $34M.

On top of that we can save many millions by extending Mario(he has already stated that he will rework his contract if needed).

The Bills have everything under control.

Edited by Dibs

I'm all for signing Dareus, but what is the plan at qb? Are we just going to keep getting mediocre qbs and hoping that someone, anyone can lead this team back? I don't follow a lot of college, so I have no idea what they are doing at that vital position.

If we manage to find a top shelf QB(and with an emense amount of luck we already have one on the roster), we can restructure the team by shedding some players when we need to pay said QB. The chances a top QB becomes a FA are slim....and then far slimmer that the Bills can land him over the 20 other interested teams. Therefore we will very most likely find said QB at a cheap price initially(via draft or cheap unproven FA), which will give amply time to adjust the roster.

Again, no need to panic.

Bills will define about 11 core players -- who will have more than one contract cycle with the team...

- 4 Defensive Lineman

- Preston Brown

- Gilmore

- Watkins

- Clay

- An OL (likely a T)

- A QB

- McCoy

Get ready for a lot of movement outside of this group. This group will likely take up 60% the cap or $90 million....leaving about $60 million for the remaining 40 salaries (the 51 highest salaries count toward the cap)...which is a $1.5 million average...for every $4 million a year guy in the bottom 40 the Bills need 3 $700,000 guys to balance this out...lots of rookies, street free agents make up the last 20 or so guys on the top 51...scouting is key.

You've gotta wonder if they'll attempt to renegotiate Mario's contract. He's going into the 4th year of a 6 year deal and the cap hit is substantial each year IIRC.

There is no need at all for this sort of panic. Though it is difficult to determine the current top 51 for 2016 at this point, I'll stick with your $1.5M of cap space next year.

The Harvin contract has already been triggered so yrs 2&3 are void...adding $8M from your figures....... $26.5M

The $10M lump payment for Clay will undoubtedly be reworked to a new SB adding $7.5M($8M?)....... $34M.

On top of that we can save many millions by extending Mario(he has already stated that he will rework his contract if needed).

Nice clarification. Thx.

- 4 Defensive Lineman

- Preston Brown

- Gilmore

- Watkins

- Clay

- An OL (likely a T)

- A QB

- McCoy

Excellent post.

The thing is, I just don't believe a high quality FA QB hits the market, period. At least not a guy who can be a long term solution. Every team faces the same conondrum: without a quality QB, you aren't going to win. Look at the QB who may be FA and ask "who is that team's alternative and would I want him running the Bills O?" If the answer is "Hell to the No", then there's your answer to whether that QB will be available. Unless he is pushing 40 and definitely on the downhill slide, in which case my hypothetical is, "do you want to mortgage the Bills future for a guy who may already be out of gas, or at most have 1-2 years?"

I think right now our line is having fun - it must be rewarding to be recognized as one of the best DL in the NFL. If we win, or even if he feels we have a reasonable chance to win, Mario will have skin in the game of wanting to restructure to keep the line together.

Personally, I'd like to see some success the way the team is set up now before committing the balance of our cap to the strongest part of our team (versus the weakest part, QB). There's a chance that we can lure a Drew Brees or some other QB away from another team as needed & use Dareus as trade bait, I'd be all in. I like Dareus and all but reality is we are committing too many resources to Rex's favorite project, the defense. I'd like to switch that money towards a missing piece, the QB.

Like I said, loading up on the strongest part of the team may not lead to more success. Lets see how it goes.

I think you are worrying about this to much. It can be done. I personally believe OverDorf is a master at managing the CAP. For years people thought he was the true decision maker. It sounds like Doug and Jim have a great relationship. Doug has ideas, he goes to Jim to see what happens with the cap, Doug makes a decision.

Dareus is worth more than any of the guys you mentioned including Bree's and possibly rivers. He's still young, is a pro bowl player and go back to the games where he was benched by Marrone for being late or out hurt. Teams ran all over the Bills without him in the middle.

Thanks.

Personally, I'd like to see some success the way the team is set up now before committing the balance of our cap to the strongest part of our team (versus the weakest part, QB). There's a chance that we can lure a Drew Brees or some other QB away from another team as needed & use Dareus as trade bait, I'd be all in. I like Dareus and all but reality is we are committing too many resources to Rex's favorite project, the defense. I'd like to switch that money towards a missing piece, the QB.

Like I said, loading up on the strongest part of the team may not lead to more success. Lets see how it goes.

there is???

No. There isn't. Don't want him next year, don't want him now, didn't want him 2 years ago.

there is???

No. There isn't. Don't want him next year, don't want him now, didn't want him 2 years ago.

I think your wrong & time will tell who's right. He'd be the best QB we've had here since Jimbo bar none. Right now, we are at slim pickens / nothing & Slim just died.

Edited by mitchmurraydowntown

I think your wrong & time will tell who's right. He'd be the best QB we've had here since Jimbo bar none. Right now, we are at slim pickens / nothing & Slim just died.

With Brees we become a strong favorite to get to a Super Bowl with the balance of our team. With Dareus we are simply trying for the playoffs

you're

you're

I would rather see us keep the defense together and hope for growth at the quarterback position. If Cassel does not end up the starter I would hope they get rid of him next year as over $5 mil is too much for a backup qb.

I think most of us are in agreement here.

Percy Harvin might not ending up costing us that much. Lets keep in mind that he is playing on a run dom team with pretty good WR all around him...he wont get the numbers to justify a gaudy contract in this offensive system....and something tells me its more about fit for Percy then just dollars.......Leodis McKelvin is a GONER.....maybe not this year but next for sure. You dont draft Darby and keep McKelvin......Chris Williams might already be a goner.

A not on QB....what people dont understand is that there no luck, rivers, manning, brees in our future.....we have decided to biuld and spend our dollars AROUND the QB position.....what is MOST likely to happen is we DRAFT a QB with our 1st round QB because it is the cheapest best way to find a QB to groom. When you sink all that money into the DL.....there really is no other choice.

I think the restructure of Mario is a forgone conclusion because you can give up up front cash without sacrificing cap......its gonna get done just a matter of when.

Some of these guys are not going to be here......Whaley has said as much when he talked about it being important to draft well to replace high dollar players.

If there was going to be such QB (which there is not) the bills will not be able to do this....nor should they. The identity of this team relies in its defense........which is dominant

:thumbsup:

I believe I heard on ESPN radio that the cap is expected to increase by 40% from where it is now over the next 2 years. Time alone will allow us enough room to not be in any trouble. We probably wont spend again like we have in the past 2 years, but we'll be able to sign our guys and be ok.

Mario is definitely the key. I'm sure there's much appeal to keep his Dline brother in the family and keep a very special Dline intact - I don't think that can be ignored especially if there's a feeling everything else will come together soon to make a run at a championship.

Edited by stevewin

the theoretical trade for Bree's is just plain silly. First he is Not available and if he was his best days are behind him. way behind him. The Saints Are not going to unload Bree's for even more cap hell meaning Dareus.

dareus has not even peaked yet. letting him go would make the stupidity of some other D-lineman let go during the Wilson regime pale in comparison. Hopefully you remember the names.

dareus is not going anywhere. The offseason is way too long. Since the post above even makes armchair GM's cringe. rex Ryans philosophy has zero to do with resigning dareus. The kid can flat out play.

Since Close to 31 other teams would grab him in a heartbeat. For good reason. Old over the hill QB's solve nothing. and when they do become available there is a reason for that. they are done competing at a high level. brees is nearing that part of his career.

Edited by Best Player Available

I believe I heard on ESPN radio that the cap is expected to increase by 40% from where it is now over the next 2 years. Time alone will allow us enough room to not be in any trouble. We probably wont spend again like we have in the past 2 years, but we'll be able to sign our guys and be ok.

Not that I disagree that the cap will be going up in large enough chunks over the next 2 years to help us easily re-sign our talent, but....40% has to be incorrect. That would be a $57M increase in 2 years...or two increases of $28.5M. That isn't going to happen.

Not that I disagree that the cap will be going up in large enough chunks over the next 2 years to help us easily re-sign our talent, but....40% has to be incorrect. That would be a $57M increase in 2 years...or two increases of $28.5M. That isn't going to happen.

He may be thinking of the NBA cap. That is about to go nuts.

At any rate, I vote that we all defer to Dibs on salary cap matters from this point forward. Who's with me?!?

The bills have a guy the pay handsomely to worry about all this. Once the team is a winner, the rest will take care of itself

Dareus is the most important player on a very good defense and will be extended.

I will never understand why people worry about salary cap space though. It's not a hard number and can easily be changed so why worry about it? If a QB or any other player wanted to join the Bills and the Bills wanted to sign him a deal would be worked out no matter what the Bills cap situation is. The Saints are over the cap every year but still sign free agents.

I think this is McKelvins last year with the Bills regardless. Chris Williams will most likely not be on the team this year and Harvin could always be restructured to lower his number if he has a good year and both sides want to work out an extension.

The cap is also expected to really jump over the next few years as well but Whaley has already said the Bills will not be active in free agency next year.

Edited by Max997

Haven't seen anyone refute this. Too lazy to look up numbers.

Chris Williams, Harvin, McKelvin or Dareus is a no-brainer. I don't think a top-notch QB will hit the market.

It will not be a problem to sign Dareus and Gilmore, then Glenn and Woods in 2016, and Sammy in 2017.

2015 is Frdeddy's swan song, hello Karlos the Jackal.

The cap goes up $10M in 2016 & again in 2017.

In 2016 a rehabilitated Percy Harvin signs back with Seattle for 5 years.

I can't see Mario here after 2017. He will either retire or take a big pay cut / restructure.

Kyle & Leodis retire after 2017, as does Corey Graham, Manny Lawson and maybe Eric Wood. Lawson has ten years in the league already.

Shady has two to three good years left.

Tons of room for cuts, retirees and restructuring.

In 2017 Incognito is banned from the league as he actually rips somebody's head off and sh1ts down their throat. He's been wanting to do that for a while now.

There is plenty of room to retain Dareus, Gilmore, Glenn, Woods, and Sammy. How good will the team be is anyone's guess.