Offensive Line

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that's basically how I feel as well.

I'm trying to think of the "project" guys in New Orleans: Evans, Nicks, Strief, Bushrod...right? Anyone I'm missing?

Ooh: de la Puente

I'm actually shocked de la Puente is still out there. I would think we could give him a shot as a backup OC yet I guess because Urbik offers a bit more flexibility he might have a better shot.

No, I think he is referring to D'Angelo

I too have been binge watching The Wire, I do it at least once a year

Maybe I'm a bit out of touch with society, but WTH is "The Wire"?

Looking at 2014 draft per PFF

OT Greg Robinson 1st rd pick #2 , rated 78 out of 84 OTs , 559 snaps

OT Jake Matthews 1st rd pick #6 , rated 84 last of OTs. 962 snaps

OT S. Henderson 7th rd , rated 82 out of 84 OTs, 1086 snaps

shows the transition from college to NFL takes time even for high 1st rd picks

OG Zack Martin 1st rd pick 16 1st team All Pro on a good OL

The OT situation is as shaky as it gets. Glenn had a poor year last season. Henderson was good for a rookie seventh round pick, but below average for a starting NFL RT. And Kouandjio didn't even dress for most of the season. Those are the only tackles on the team as far as I'm aware.

Bills need it all to break right- Glenn bounces back, Henderson takes a major step forward and Kouandjio turns into a competent NFL lineman. Otherwise, "ground and pound" may very well grind to a halt.

Edited by vincec

The OT situation is as shaky as it gets. Glenn had a poor year last season. Henderson was good for a rookie seventh round pick, but below average for a starting NFL RT. And Kouandjio didn't even dress for most of the season. Those are the only tackles on the team as far as I'm aware.

Bills need it all to break right- Glenn bounces back, Henderson takes a major step forward and Kouandjio turns into a competent NFL lineman. Otherwise, "ground and pound" may very well grind to a halt.

I wouldn't be shocked if Kujo beats out Henderson this year for the RT spot. I have a feeling his knee wasn't up to snuff and why he struggled last year. Now with a year under his belt and a new coaching staff he'll have a chance to shine. As much as I like Henderson I have a feeling he might turn into a Terrance Pennington yet maybe more as he seems to being groomed to be a swing T.

i think you are right about OT depth. It isn't good. The only other OT we have on the roster right now is the UDFA from ncstate.

I think one thing that the braintrust has clearly stated time and again is that they plan to start the best 5 OL players without regard to where the individuals are assigned based on some sense of demographics. This actually makes some sense as the Bills seem overburdened with "classic" Ts and it is my sense that it part of the reason we lack "traditional" G talent.

If you want to guess who sticks I think the likely top 5 are Woods,(C is the one position where the multiple needs of the position means the best C will play, Seantral Henderson and Glenn are likely to be among the best 5 and will play T.

I like the Bills OL prospects as they will need to find 2 starting Gs and 2 swing guys from Miller, Williams, Cujo, Incognito, Richardson, and Urbik. I think they canfind 2 starters and 2 reserves from these 6.

g

I think Kromer said in the recent article it may NOT be the 5 most talented... more about who knows their assignments and consistently executes, paraphrasing here GO BILLS!!!

i think you are right about OT depth. It isn't good. The only other OT we have on the roster right now is the UDFA from ncstate.

I was surprised the Bills didn't seem to make any effort to retain Chris Hairston, if he was recovered from his medical condition he's seemed to be a swing tackle who you can play a few games without getting killed

I was surprised the Bills didn't seem to make any effort to retain Chris Hairston, if he was recovered from his medical condition he's seemed to be a swing tackle who you can play a few games without getting killed

meanwhile the chargers signed both he and Barksdale for nothing Edited by YoloinOhio

g

I think Kromer said in the recent article it may NOT be the 5 most talented... more about who knows their assignments and consistently executes, paraphrasing here GO BILLS!!!

I saw and was kind of puzzled by that. How do you determine if someone is more talented, if they don't execute consistently?

meanwhile the chargers signed both he and Barksdale for nothing

Yeah I don't really have an inkling where Doug is going on this - usually you go into camp with at least 6 OTs and into the season with at least 4- Chris Williams is the only guard that has any experience at OT and he's a guy who's been hurt about as many games as he's been available to play plus he was pretty bad at OT when he played there healthy - I thought Barksdale was holding out for big money or something but he signed with SD for a million with a chance for another million if met incentives, hardly a cap crusher.

agree

I saw and was kind of puzzled by that. How do you determine if someone is more talented, if they don't execute consistently?

Agreed, the comment left me somewhat scratching my head on exactly what he meant. At first i thought he was implying he was going opposite of previous staff which wanted best players even if they ended up out of position, like Pears last year. Now i think he may mean he will take a player who understands the scheme and can execute said scheme over a purely better athlete. GO BILLS! Edited by cfbillsfan

Agreed, the comment left me somewhat scratching my head on exactly what he meant. At first i thought he was implying he was going opposite of previous staff which wanted best players even if they ended up out of position, like Pears last year. Now i think he may mean he will take a player who understands the scheme and can execute said scheme over a purely better athlete. GO BILLS!

I think, and this is just my opinion, that Kromer was saying it may not be the 5 most talented players, but rather the 5 players who together make up the best fit as a unit.

Of course, I'm not certain those two are mutually exclusive (and he may not have meant to imply that at all).

Were I a betting man, right now, I'd guess:

Glenn-Miller-Wood-Incognito-Henderson

which I think is what the rest of the breathing world would also guess.

There's been so much talk in the media about how talented the Bills are - except at QB. But I'm with vince... the OL worries me just as much at the QB situation.

Everything needs to "break right" and maybe it will. Just maybe.

There's been so much talk in the media about how talented the Bills are - except at QB. But I'm with vince... the OL worries me just as much at the QB situation.

Everything needs to "break right" and maybe it will. Just maybe.

I think they are counting a LOT on coaching to bring guys like Kouandjio, Henderson, and Richardson along as they planned to last year.

Maybe I'm a bit out of touch with society, but WTH is "The Wire"?

"The Wire" is a show that came out in the mid-2000's. It's available on HBO Now, and other HBO apps. I hear its a great show. I've seen a few episodes. It starts off slow, but apparently picks up and is awesome. Has a great cast.

I think they are counting a LOT on coaching to bring guys like Kouandjio, Henderson, and Richardson along as they planned to last year.

I have high hopes for Henderson and Richardson. I keep thinking back to what Wood said about the O-line being told different things by different coaches. If that is confusing to a vet like Wood, imagine the confusion a rookie would feel. I think the O-line coach will be the only one telling them how to block, etc. They won't have Marrone giving them contrary advice this year.

The two most important pieces to a successful offense in the NFL are still QB and Oline. What are the two biggest question marks on the Bills........

Yes.

Henderson at RT is still a ?

What does it say if they are considering moving him to LT?

Yes.

Not sure. They think Henderson might be really good, they are really worried about Glenn or they might be grooming Henderson as a "swing tackle". In any event, I don't know how you can decide until the hitting starts.

I think we should wait until after the last day of final cuts and pick up some garbage OL guy, maybe two, and plug them into start on week 1.

:blink::wacko::blink:

Marv? Is that you?

:worthy:

Yes.

The coaching staff has an open mind about finding the best Fab Five - unlike last year's crew of high school hall monitors who simply punished players they didn't like.

I wasn't impressed with Henderson as everyone else seems to be. He was awful against the Raiders and a big reason why the offense was non existent in that game leading to a loss.

He was very poor against the Raiders I don't think anyone disputes that. He was up and down all year. He was either good or bad in each game there wasn't much "average" play from him. He had particular problems, as did the whole line, against teams running inside stunts where he was trying to hold outside leverage and getting beaten inside.

Sal mentioned that "2nd year FA" Darryl Johnson was working at RT yesterday along with Kouandjoie and Henderson. I have to admit I've never heard of him, but glad to hear we have another tackle on the team. I thought we only had 4.

Here he is at LT for the Lobos, #71:

- Looks like a good athlete.

- That initial set of his could use a lot of work.

- Pretty good workout numbers: 22 BP reps, 30-1/2" vertical, 9'2" broad

- Does a good job of mirroring in pass protection; kick slide looks pretty good

- Likes to cut block apparently

Probably needs to add some bulk, and he definitely has to work on using his hands better. Looks like a legitimate contender to make the roster as a 4th tackle. From what I can tell, he's a far better athlete than Tyson Chandler; better raw material IMO.

IIRC the Bears line was much improved during Kromer's tenure there as well

Their OL in 2013 was great, and much improved. They were the key to their offensive success that year. They also stayed very healthy throughout the year. Last season, they had slot of injuries and regressed.

Here he is at LT for the Lobos, #71:

- Looks like a good athlete.

- That initial set of his could use a lot of work.

- Pretty good workout numbers: 22 BP reps, 30-1/2" vertical, 9'2" broad

- Does a good job of mirroring in pass protection; kick slide looks pretty good

- Likes to cut block apparently

Probably needs to add some bulk, and he definitely has to work on using his hands better. Looks like a legitimate contender to make the roster as a 4th tackle. From what I can tell, he's a far better athlete than Tyson Chandler; better raw material IMO.

thanks... Hopefully he can provide some decent depth at OT. I truly think coaching and scheme and adding the two new guards is going to make a big difference. Edited by YoloinOhio

Their OL in 2013 was great, and much improved. They were the key to their offensive success that year. They also stayed very healthy throughout the year. Last season, they had slot of injuries and regressed.

Last year's injuries at the LG position (Slauson and his primary backup) and a brutal regression by Jordan Mills at RT really hurt their OL.

thanks... Hopefully he can provide some decent depth at OT. I truly think coaching and scheme and adding the two new guards is going to make a big difference.

Agreed. Although I'm of the opinion that if the team gets down to this kid (or whoever the #4 OT end up being) starting appreciable numbers of games, they're probably in trouble up front anyway. They really need a fierce competition between a much-improved Kouandjio and a no-longer-wet-behind-the-ears Henderson for the #2 OT job.

Not sure. They think Henderson might be really good, they are really worried about Glenn or they might be grooming Henderson as a "swing tackle". In any event, I don't know how you can decide until the hitting starts.

I think maybe all of the above. Initial reports are Kujo on the rt, Glenn on the left, and Henderson with the 2's which would fit the idea that they think Henderson could be a "swing tackle" and backup. But you're right, none of it matters until the pads go on - it's easy to beat air.

Would be cool if Glenn played next to Miller , play some Glenn Miller music at the Ralph

No , I'am not Howard :)

I like Glenn Miller. Good for swing dancing. I'm "In the Mood" for some swing dancing!

The coaching staff has an open mind about finding the best Fab Five - unlike last year's crew of high school hall monitors who simply punished players they didn't like.

Worse than the "punishing players who transgress" mindset was the "best 5 guys" mindset which said "these guys are the best athletes, therefore we must line them up on the field together" - never mind technique or ability to adjust might be better in a less-physically-gifted guy. You can't coach height and arm length, but you also can't measure heart, willpower, and on-field smarts, which is why Kyle Williams goes to the Probowl while taller stronger guys go home.

Edited by Hopeful

It the injury issue is what really scares me concerning the Bills. Right now they've got a very, very good LT in Glenn, but not an even average at RT. Incognito is a wildcard - if he returns to form then we've got another guy that's definitely well above average. We've got a rookie guard that I hope does well, but is totally unproven. Wood is average at center and I'm basing that on his career, not last season. The rest look pretty rough and that includes the back ups and anyone at might start in place of those mentioned. The group looks manageable as they stand, but if Glenn or anyone else that is playing reasonably well goes down then we are in real trouble. Offensive lines always have injuries and one bad player often leads to others getting injured. This is obviously a huge concern to me.

Edited by BarleyNY

I feel like Doug Moron was so incredibly awful and took great care to insert his awfulness into the OL, we have to just wait and see. Whalley has definitely made investments in the line through the draft. Maybe his picks sucked or maybe Moron is a horrific OL coach. As many have pointed out, a lot of these same players were playing quite well a few years ago. I happen to think some of that was Chan's scheme, but not all of it.

It is regrettable though. Someone made the point that the OL and QB (our biggest weaknesses) are the most important things to have and I agree.

Aaron Rogers and a strong OL would be able to take any random sampling of NFL caliber players at all of the other positions to the playoffs every year.

I feel like Doug Moron was so incredibly awful and took great care to insert his awfulness into the OL, we have to just wait and see. Whalley has definitely made investments in the line through the draft. Maybe his picks sucked or maybe Moron is a horrific OL coach. As many have pointed out, a lot of these same players were playing quite well a few years ago. I happen to think some of that was Chan's scheme, but not all of it.

It was mostly due to Joe D'Alessandris, OL coach that Marrone dumped when he came to Buffalo and Chargers quickly scooped up. He was often seen on sideline helping OL adjust what they do. The coach Marrone hired just yelled at players. And only morons are those who can not spell names properly or even worse choose to misspell it in attempt to back up a weak argument.