What Would It Take To Get Mettenberger?

It looks like the Titans attempt to deal for Phil Rivers is going to fall through.

This means there is a good chance (according to Peter King/MMQB) that they will take Mariota at #2.

I think they like Mettenberger, but I don't know what they're going to do with him if they have drafted a franchise QB. The kid has talent, although he doesn't have the mobility that Roman supposedly covets. Could he be had for a second or a third?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000430265/Week-11-Zach-Mettenberger-highlights

Discuss.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no reason for them to trade Mettenberger who would probably start this year if they drafted Mariota

Which of the 3 Bills QBs would you cut if they did acquire Mettenberger or any other QB? EJ isnt going anywhere, Cassel is their vet and all we've heard about Taylor who I believe they gave guaranteed money to is how much they like him.

I've never gotten the ZM hype. He was surrounding by NFL wrs in college (including one who had one of the greatest rookie receiving seasons ever), played for a veteran NFL OC, and was never dominating. He had a 30.1 QBR as a rookie. Manuel had a 42 his rookie year. Also, he has been questionable off the field as well.

IMO, Manuel has more upside. Still, at worst, they are very similar in terms of their development. And from the Tennessee side, even if they get Rivers, you still want a backup with NFL experience.

If a team ever gave up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a 6th rounder with a 30 QBR, that GM should be fired on the spot.

Why not keep both QBs. If one turns out to be better you keep the other one as the backup and a trade chip if some other team is willing to make a generous offer.

That is something that smart teams & teams that win would do is keep both just incase .

Hey thats something the Pats would & have done for years !!

I've never gotten the ZM hype. He was surrounding by NFL wrs in college (including one who had one of the greatest rookie receiving seasons ever), played for a veteran NFL OC, and was never dominating. He had a 30.1 QBR as a rookie. Manuel had a 42 his rookie year. Also, he has been questionable off the field as well.

IMO, Manuel has more upside. Still, at worst, they are very similar in terms of their development. And from the Tennessee side, even if they get Rivers, you still want a backup with NFL experience.

If a team ever gave up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a 6th rounder with a 30 QBR, that GM should be fired on the spot.

Agree... 100 % and the guy is no leader. Don't get the media driven hype for this guy

They'll keep Mettenberger. Best case, they repeat what the Chargers did with Brees & Rivers. ZM is dirt cheap and they can allow Mariota to develop while ZM plays, if Mettenberger flames out they plug Mariota in, if he doesn't they've got a decision to make.

I like Mettenberger quite a bit. I saw a ton of him at LSU and once he started working with Cam Cameron he became an NFL prospect. He was horrible prior to that IMO. He has a big arm, played in a pro style and was good in big games. I would not at all be surprised if he ended up as a good NFL QB. He reminds me of Derek Carr some (I'm not really sure why). It isn't a definite that he will be a player but I was really, really impressed the way that he played his last year at LSU. His receivers were great (as they always are at LSU). The receivers there were good last year too (watch out for Malachi Dupre he is going to be a monster) and they could not get the requisite QB play.

I would much rather Mettenberger than Mike Glennon and I would imagine that the compensation would be similar. I think that he has a chance to be like a less mobile Tannehill. I would have no problem at all dealing any of the picks that the Bills have after the 3rd for him. I like ZM more than any QB in this draft except for Jameis and Mariota.

He was a 6th rd pick and 0-6 for the games he started. I would think Tenn takes Mariota or trades for Rivers.

I'm not sure that record is the best indicator for a young QB (any young QB). That team that he is on is AWFUL. Quick tell me 5 guys on that Titans team that would start on the Bills? Searcy maybe (Duke may have passed him), Lewan, Warmack and maybe a LB. They have about 3 guys that would start on our team.

It's so hard to draft a good QB in the 1st rd . I would be very envious if a team found one in the 6th like Brady.

If Tenn has confidence in Z Mett, they should trade the 2nd pick for as many draft picks/players they can get to fill some of there other needs.

Edited by ALF

I'm not sure that record is the best indicator for a young QB (any young QB). That team that he is on is AWFUL. Quick tell me 5 guys on that Titans team that would start on the Bills? Searcy maybe (Duke may have passed him), Lewan, Warmack and maybe a LB. They have about 3 guys that would start on our team.

Good point, but on paper, they should have a better oline.

And Wisenhunt is overrated but I'd take him over Marrone/ Hackett all day.

Good point, but on paper, they should have a better oline.

And Wisenhunt is overrated but I'd take him over Marrone/ Hackett all day.

I agree on all counts. It amazes me that Levitre has played like he has (and Warmack too for that matter). That is such a bad football team. I can't imagine that Rivers is too thrilled about finishing his career with that ragtag bunch (if he gets traded there).

I like Mettenberger quite a bit. I saw a ton of him at LSU and once he started working with Cam Cameron he became an NFL prospect. He was horrible prior to that IMO. He has a big arm, played in a pro style and was good in big games. I would not at all be surprised if he ended up as a good NFL QB. He reminds me of Derek Carr some (I'm not really sure why). It isn't a definite that he will be a player but I was really, really impressed the way that he played his last year at LSU. His receivers were great (as they always are at LSU). The receivers there were good last year too (watch out for Malachi Dupre he is going to be a monster) and they could not get the requisite QB play.

I would much rather Mettenberger than Mike Glennon and I would imagine that the compensation would be similar. I think that he has a chance to be like a less mobile Tannehill. I would have no problem at all dealing any of the picks that the Bills have after the 3rd for him. I like ZM more than any QB in this draft except for Jameis and Mariota.

And for all the people who believe the Bills should draft 1 QB a year until they hit on one, this is my point. If you like ZM (not saying they do) why would you not see if the Titans would deal him for a mid-level pick rather than drafting someone like Bridge, Grayson, etc.?

Edited by Flip Johnson

If they draft Mariotta, and I don't think they will, they are in a unique position to let him sit and learn behind an already "established" QB until he is ready.

Remember when this used to happen?

do they have an established Qb? Whitehurst still there? I honestly don't know who he would sit behind. If he's drafted #2 I'd expect him to start unless he went somewhere like NO or somewhere with an established but aging franchise qb. In fact I believe whisenhunt said he would start day 1 if they took him at 2.

And for all the people who believe the Bills should draft 1 QB a year until they hit on one, this is my point. If you like ZM (not saying they do) why would you not see if the Titans would deal him for a mid-level pick rather than drafting someone like Bridge, Grayson, etc.?

if they liked him last year they could have had him for a 5th. Has he done anything this year to show he's worth more than that? Looking at his record, injury history, and character backstory I'd say no. But I didn't watch the Titans last year. I know they sucked, I don't know how much was him. Edited by YoloinOhio

do they have an established Qb? Whitehurst still there? I honestly don't know who he would sit behind. If he's drafted #2 I'd expect him to start unless he went somewhere like NO or somewhere with an established but aging franchise qb. In fact I believe whisenhunt said he would start day 1 if they took him at 2.

if they liked him last year they could have had him for a 5th. Has he done anything this year to show he's worth more than that? Looking at his record, injury history, and character backstory I'd say no. But I didn't watch the Titans last year. I know they sucked, I don't know how much was him.

They weren't really in the "leave no stone unturned" mode looking for a QB last year. I wouldn't give anything above a 5th for him but I do like him more than the guys this year (even the ones that they are talking about in the 2nd). He may never be the answer but has the physical tools and comes from a pro style offense. At the right price he is worth tossing into this QB battle.

I'm gonna come right out and say it: if Zach Mettenberger is our answer, then I really don't want to know what the question is.

I'm very willing to bet that he eventually ends up in the vast NFL sea of QB roadkill: another proverbial armadillo on a Texas freeway.

It looks like the Titans attempt to deal for Phil Rivers is going to fall through.

This means there is a good chance (according to Peter King/MMQB) that they will take Mariota at #2.

I think they like Mettenberger, but I don't know what they're going to do with him if they have drafted a franchise QB. The kid has talent, although he doesn't have the mobility that Roman supposedly covets. Could he be had for a second or a third?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000430265/Week-11-Zach-Mettenberger-highlights

Discuss.

not a big fan

They weren't really in the "leave no stone unturned" mode looking for a QB last year. I wouldn't give anything above a 5th for him but I do like him more than the guys this year (even the ones that they are talking about in the 2nd). He may never be the answer but has the physical tools and comes from a pro style offense. At the right price he is worth tossing into this QB battle.

Whether it is Cassell, EJ or Mettenberger the ceiling for each of these qbs is not very high (in my opinion). The question comes down to are you looking simply to upgrade the position marginally so or are you looking to establish a qb who can make you a serous contender. None of the previously mentioned qbs are the long term answer.

This franchise has been out of the playoffs for 15 consecutive years. This front office and new ownership are determined to qualify for one of the wildcard spots this year. This team is built to compete for a playoff spot with a qb who is adequate and plays with prudence. That is a job description perfectly suited for Cassell or a Cassell type qb.

The Bills are not in a draft position to draft a stud prospect. So why waste a draft pick when the odds are against you hitting on a qb prospect? The best approach is to put that issue aside for this season and wait for when there is a better opportunity to find your long term franchise qb.

If I was offered a trade deal of Manuel for Mettenberger I would make the deal. I believe that Mettenberger is a better passer (mechanics) and has a better grasp of running an offense (making reads).

Edited by JohnC

Whether it is Cassell, EJ or Mettenberger the ceiling for each of these qbs is not very high (in my opinion). The question comes down to are you looking simply to upgrade the position marginally so or are you looking to establish a qb who can make you a serous contender. None of the previously mentioned qbs are the long term answer.

This franchise has been out of the playoffs for 15 consecutive years. This front office and new ownership are determined to qualify for one of the wildcard spots this year. This team is built to compete for a playoff spot with a qb who is adequate and plays with prudence. That is a job description perfectly suited for Cassell or a Cassell type qb.

The Bills are not in a draft position to draft a stud prospect. So why waste a draft pick when the odds are against you hitting on a qb prospect? The best approach is to put that issue aside for this season and wait for when there is a better opportunity to find your long term franchise qb.

IMO, EJ has the highest ceiling. He has every skill you want. The question for him going back to college is will he ever reach that ceiling. He is too nice for his own good at times.

And Cassel is Orton. He is on the downside of his career. He has 30 tds, 34 ints his last 4 years. You are so limited with him. In his start against NE last year, he threw 4 ints. EJ actually protects the ball better than Cassel.

EJ, or Taylor, need to win the job. But it will be so disppointing if Cassel wins the job. It will be a repeat of last year.

Why? He has proven nothing at the NFL level. RG3 at least had one of the greatest rookie seasons ever for a QB.

before falling apart, before regressing to what he truly is, before becoming Tommy Maddox, before everyone realized the guy doesn't have it.

Mettenberger will be a backup QB for a few years in the league and Griffin will just continue to be the diva he has been since college. Nothing about either impresses me.

IMO, EJ has the highest ceiling. He has every skill you want. The question for him going back to college is will he ever reach that ceiling. He is too nice for his own good at times.

And Cassel is Orton. He is on the downside of his career. He has 30 tds, 34 ints his last 4 years. You are so limited with him. In his start against NE last year, he threw 4 ints. EJ actually protects the ball better than Cassel.

EJ, or Taylor, need to win the job. But it will be so disppointing if Cassel wins the job. It will be a repeat of last year.

I agree with you that Cassel is an Orton type of qb. He is a limited qb who can manage the offense. If Orton would have played at the standard Orton level the Bills probably would have been a playoff team (even with an atrocious OL).

I used to be a strong defender of EJ and strenuously argued that he needed more time. But when watching him play I am very distrubed by his level of accuracy and by his jittery comportment in the pocket. There is no doubt that EJ is periodically capable of making plays that will wow you giving one a glimmer of hope that he is the answer. But there are too many instances where his erratic play overshadows his few exceptional plays.

I'm a strong believer that you enter the league being an accurate passer or not. There are few instances where a prospect with poor mechanics develops consistently good mechanics and takes the quantum leap forward as a passer. I would love to be wrong on my admittedly early assessment on Manuel. But reluctantly I don't believe I am off the mark with him.

Odds are that after what Ryan experienced with his young qb in NY he is going to be more inclined to go with the steady vet qb over the more physically imposing young qb who has a tendency to be erratic.

Which was a stupid policy last year, and looks even worse in hindsight.

Speaking of hindsight, how about assessing the QBS that the Bills could have had in the last 2 years and tell me which one we whiffed on? Here's a clue: none of them.

Seems like a great option satisfying all the major criteria for a franchise qb prospect:

1) he's not on the bills now

2) he has a highlight video on YouTube

3) he made that one play they showed on sports center

4) heard of him

5) played college ball somewhere good

6) in his highlight videos he isn't sacked too much, seems accurate and throws lots of touchdowns. Particularly vs the steelers that one time

before falling apart, before regressing to what he truly is, before becoming Tommy Maddox, before everyone realized the guy doesn't have it.

Mettenberger will be a backup QB for a few years in the league and Griffin will just continue to be the diva he has been since college. Nothing about either impresses me.

How easy it is to wash away one of the great rookie seasons in NFL history! And it's not like he was a slouch in college. Tommy Maddox was and was drafted on potential, not production.

Edited by dave mcbride