What Would It Take To Get Mettenberger?

But the point is that these QBs are projects themselves. They might get eaten alive if they were forced to start. So you would be throwing away our first pick in the draft.

And if they struggle, how many games do they get before we want to get rid of them? 14?

First pick in the draft? I'm talking about shipping a 6th or 7th, nothing more. If that isn't possible, then, of course, you don't do it.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First pick in the draft? I'm talking about shipping a 6th or 7th, nothing more. If that isn't possible, then, of course, you don't do it.

My bad, I thought you were talking about the rookie QBs. I never got ZM hype. He played on loaded LSU team and never wowed me. Again, he had a worse QBR than EJ did as a rookie. The Titans would jump all over a 6th round pick. It's just a wasted pick IMO.

Speaking of hindsight, how about assessing the QBS that the Bills could have had in the last 2 years and tell me which one we whiffed on? Here's a clue: none of them.

Well it didn't take long for the Promo of old to show up. Nice job of moving the goalposts again. I didn't know that the criticism of Bills woeful job of addressing the QB began in 2013.

It's not just which player they may have missed in isolation, but how Whaley has approached the position.

But let's play your game first. From the 2013 QB class, Glennon seems to be the best of a bad lot. Of the 2014 class, it's way too early to tell, but considering that Buffalo didn't even swing, you can argue that almost any drafted QB from that class at this point is better than Jeff Tuel, Thad Lewis and Dennis Dixon. And that is the crux of the argument.

Imagine a scenario where a GM is interviewing for a job, and his prescription for a team's QB future was to go into camp with EJ Manuel, Jeff Tuel, Thad Lewis and Dennis Dixon. How many owners would hire that GM?

Restrospective analysis is very easy, because it's clear that Whaley's strategy, as pointed out by many last May, was risky and turned out horribly. That's why this is a discussion about strategy and not whiffing on a specific player. It goes back to putting much faith in Kevin Kolb, and then scrambling to fill in a gaping hole in late August. Same thing last year, when Lewis & Dixon flamed out as expected.

And that is what was maddening. The 2014 QB class was one of the better ones, so to not bring in another developmental QB, especially when the 3 Ms were there to be had in Rounds 4-5 was irresponsible.

Now compare that to this year, when it's apparent someone took Whaley aside and finally convinced him that his approach to the QB position has been woeful. That's why they took very hard runs at any available veteran and were willing to pay the price, and are still considering drafting another camp body. And that's why I cringe with all the Petty & Hundley talk, who on the basis where they will be drafted are far worse prospects than the guys who were drafted in those spots last year.

Well it didn't take long for the Promo of old to show up. Nice job of moving the goalposts again. I didn't know that the criticism of Bills woeful job of addressing the QB began in 2013.

It's not just which player they may have missed in isolation, but how Whaley has approached the position.

But let's play your game first. From the 2013 QB class, Glennon seems to be the best of a bad lot. Of the 2014 class, it's way too early to tell, but considering that Buffalo didn't even swing, you can argue that almost any drafted QB from that class at this point is better than Jeff Tuel, Thad Lewis and Dennis Dixon. And that is the crux of the argument.

Imagine a scenario where a GM is interviewing for a job, and his prescription for a team's QB future was to go into camp with EJ Manuel, Jeff Tuel, Thad Lewis and Dennis Dixon. How many owners would hire that GM?

Restrospective analysis is very easy, because it's clear that Whaley's strategy, as pointed out by many last May, was risky and turned out horribly. That's why this is a discussion about strategy and not whiffing on a specific player. It goes back to putting much faith in Kevin Kolb, and then scrambling to fill in a gaping hole in late August. Same thing last year, when Lewis & Dixon flamed out as expected.

And that is what was maddening. The 2014 QB class was one of the better ones, so to not bring in another developmental QB, especially when the 3 Ms were there to be had in Rounds 4-5 was irresponsible.

Now compare that to this year, when it's apparent someone took Whaley aside and finally convinced him that his approach to the QB position has been woeful. That's why they took very hard runs at any available veteran and were willing to pay the price, and are still considering drafting another camp body. And that's why I cringe with all the Petty & Hundley talk, who on the basis where they will be drafted are far worse prospects than the guys who were drafted in those spots last year.

Yes but Aaron Murray isn't franchise yet, so you're wrong. Edited by FireChan

I think that one of the things that makes this argument continue to go round and round is stats vs. skills. I believe that Mettenberger, Bridgewater and Carr have a chance to be good QBs based on their skill sets. Mettenberger will have the hardest time getting a chance and I am not guaranteeing that they all develop.

Statistics are a function of who is around you. Jameis will be throwing to Mike Evans, ASJ and Vincent Jackson this year. He will probably throw 20+ TDs with those red zone monsters. Bridgewater will be throwing to Wallace and Patterson who are terrible route runners. Does that mean that Jameis is better? Not necessarily, regardless of what the stats say. You have to factor in the situation when evaluating QBs.

I would be willing to trade a late round pick for Mettenberger because he has the skill set to be a good QB. His last year at LSU, in a pro style offense he was really good. Yes, he had great players around him but they were running a pro style offense. Cam Cameron really got this kid playing good football. I was not a fan at all prior to that. He may never be the guy but I would rather have a guy with the skills to succeed over someone with fatal flaws (Hundley, Petty).

Just saw this posted online and figured this was the best thread for it...

If the rumors coming out of Chicago are true, the Tennessee Titans made a grave and perhaps franchise-defining bad decision last night in passing up the offer presented to them by the Eagles.

Ian Rapoport is reporting that the Eagles wanted to move up and draft Mariota so bad that they offered a package of: 2 1st Round Picks (2015, 2016), their 2015 3rd round pick, DT Fletcher Cox, LB Mychal Kendricks, CB Brandon Boykins, and possibly even more.

That trade would have set the Titans up on a path to long-term success. I'm not a big fan of Mariota in the NFL, but if he is anything less than a MVP-caliber QB for the Titans, they will be kicking themselves forever.

I think that one of the things that makes this argument continue to go round and round is stats vs. skills. I believe that Mettenberger, Bridgewater and Carr have a chance to be good QBs based on their skill sets. Mettenberger will have the hardest time getting a chance and I am not guaranteeing that they all develop.

Statistics are a function of who is around you. Jameis will be throwing to Mike Evans, ASJ and Vincent Jackson this year. He will probably throw 20+ TDs with those red zone monsters. Bridgewater will be throwing to Wallace and Patterson who are terrible route runners. Does that mean that Jameis is better? Not necessarily, regardless of what the stats say. You have to factor in the situation when evaluating QBs.

I would be willing to trade a late round pick for Mettenberger because he has the skill set to be a good QB. His last year at LSU, in a pro style offense he was really good. Yes, he had great players around him but they were running a pro style offense. Cam Cameron really got this kid playing good football. I was not a fan at all prior to that. He may never be the guy but I would rather have a guy with the skills to succeed over someone with fatal flaws (Hundley, Petty).

I like Mettenberger, too, but I doubt he has any better chance of being a franchise QB than EJ does. which is low.

Good post!

I like Mettenberger, too, but I doubt he has any better chance of being a franchise QB than EJ does. which is low.

Yeah, I have him slightly higher than EJ but not much. I guess that my point is that I am willing to invest a 6th round pick on a guy that has a chance. I would rather that than a 3rd on someone like Petty who I believe has less of a chance.

Yeah, I have him slightly higher than EJ but not much. I guess that my point is that I am willing to invest a 6th round pick on a guy that has a chance. I would rather that than a 3rd on someone like Petty who I believe has less of a chance.

Right. And agreed. But if you make the trade, you have to cut EJ in all likelihood.

Right. And agreed. But if you make the trade, you have to cut EJ in all likelihood.

You could just cut Tuel and go into camp with the split fields like Rex talked about? You legitimately could have a 4 man battle. I think that is what Seattle had a few years ago with Whitehurst, Flynn, TJax and Wilson maybe? I could be wrong but I thought that happened.

Good post!

You could just cut Tuel and go into camp with the split fields like Rex talked about? You legitimately could have a 4 man battle. I think that is what Seattle had a few years ago with Whitehurst, Flynn, TJax and Wilson maybe? I could be wrong but I thought that happened.

I guess that would be possible, and maybe not a bad idea. Because a 6th rounder isn't making the team. But I think four is too many, even with the two fields, simply because Taylor, EJ and Mettenberger need to be seen in regular season games to know if they are any good. They are all going to look pretty good in practice.

In Seattle it was a two man race right off the bat.

I guess that would be possible, and maybe not a bad idea. Because a 6th rounder isn't making the team. But I think four is too many, even with the two fields, simply because Taylor, EJ and Mettenberger need to be seen in regular season games to know if they are any good. They are all going to look pretty good in practice.

That is kind of my reasoning. I would rather add another option to the competition than a guy that is going to get cut anyways. If it doesn't work out you can always just cut Mettenberger (or trade him elsewhere).

I think Carr is going to bust out eventually. The Raiders are committed to getting him tools, and the offensive roster was truly miserable last year. Nowhere to go but up.

Is that why we were editing the practice film like a Britt McHenry video last year?