Article: Quit Sleeping on EJ Manuel

This is considered attempted murder in 3 states.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_4Cse1d2IXA

Not to get all objective here, but right as the qb sets his feet to throw, Goodwin, at the left hash mark changed direction and cuts slightly back toward the L.O.S.

Who the fudge designs/runs a crossing pattern that way? Does that make any sense?

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to get all objective here, but right as the qb sets his feet to throw, Goodwin, at the left hash mark changed direction and cuts slightly back toward the L.O.S.

Who the fudge designs/runs a crossing pattern that way? Does that make any sense?

I'll be honest, I don't see that. Goodwin could just be running a sloppy route though.

Gilmore was taking fan Q's on twitter. He likes ej apparently.

@BumpNrunGilm0re: @NateGearyWGR: @BumpNrunGilm0re you think EJ can be the man? I know he can

Despite the on field displays from the WRs last year, I have never heard anything but support and love for the guy in the locker room. I hope Gilmore is right.

Despite the on field displays from the WRs last year, I have never heard anything but support and love for the guy in the locker room. I hope Gilmore is right.

yeah I feel like he could have just ignored the question and answered a different one, or just said "yes" that he "thought" he could, but he went all in, which is cool.

Brady was 81/137 (59.1%) for 791 yards (198 YPG) with 4 TD's, 2 INT's, and 3 lost fumbles in the first 4 games last year when the Pats' OL was unsettled. OL makes a HUGE difference.

And, after 3 games, the Hoodie or his minions changed up 3 of 5 positions on the interior of the OL with a further change after the 4th game (I think). The message was very clear, perform to satisfaction or meet the bench.

1) they couldn't have made that many changes without depth to support them

2) but there was the willingness to say "OK, this idea isn't working, we'll try something new"

And, after 3 games, the Hoodie or his minions changed up 3 of 5 positions on the interior of the OL with a further change after the 4th game (I think). The message was very clear, perform to satisfaction or meet the bench.

1) they couldn't have made that many changes without depth to support them

2) but there was the willingness to say "OK, this idea isn't working, we'll try something new"

Yes, but the guys they plugged-in were 4th rounders or later. The Bills tried replacing guys around but to no avail.

What an article.

Where Manuel Needs To Improve

-Accuracy

-Pocket Presence

-Decision Making/Progressions

-Staying Healthy

If it was only so easy.

This. Everyone that knows EJ,knows this. I do think he was overcoached,thinking too much about footwork ,release and such. Let the kid,let it loose. I hate so-called Qb coaches or guru`s.

This. Everyone that knows EJ,knows this. I do think he was overcoached,thinking too much about footwork ,release and such. Let the kid,let it loose. I hate so-called Qb coaches or guru`s.

The question isn't so much whether EJ needs to improve these pieces of his game, it's whether or not he's improved much at all after his time in the NFL. They worked with him on footwork, release, et al. because that's what he needed work on. If EJ can't improve those fundamentals, he's not going to be a starting QB in the NFL.

As for personal QB coaches, well, Brady had one in Tom Martinez and EJ's used George Whitfield Jr. I'm sure others have enlisted this kind of help.

I can understand how people can have doubt. What I cannot understand is how anyone can give up on a QB with less than a full season of playing time under his belt. I'm not the "I told you so," type, but when EJ wins the job and kicks ass this season, I might become one, temporarily.

I told you so... And I agree..

I believe that EJ Manuel is currently the third best QB on the Bills.

Beware Tyrod Taylor.

The article was good though.

Ok, so why do you say that?

Taylor wasnt as good in college...has barely played...when he has played he has not been good.

So, what about his resume makes you state he is better than EJ at this point other than the fact his name isn't EJ? Because he can run fast? So can Goodwin, doesn't mean he can be a good QB.

If Taylor emerges, fantastic...I just don't get how people somehow claim he is better than EJ yet did less in college than EJ, less in the NFL than him, and was a BIGGER project than EJ coming out of college that most people wanted to convert to a WR.

As far as EJ goes...to write him off is absurd and stupid. Its not about whether he will or will not become a good QB...its about how he hasn't had enough time to develop and was saddled with a staff that IMO was inept.

In 14 games, he has 3 comeback wins. Thats important stat to me with EJ for one big reason...he always started slow and played better under pressure. The reason being is because he played too cautious and confined and got away from having a feel for the game and playing loose and comfortable. There was so much pressure for him not to make a mistake or take a hit, he played restricted and reserved and it showed.

I have golfed most my adult life...I am not very good unless I am playing my friends who are mostly worse lol. However, when I sit there and analyze all the things I need to do right in my swing while addressing the ball, I usually hit a pretty bad shot. When I get up to the ball, take a quick practice swing, immediately lineup and let it rip I tend to get my best and longest shots.

EJ was in his head too much and didn't play off his instincts, natural ability, and general feel for the game. If the staff can help the kid relax and let loose, then I think we can see what EJ really can do with both his arms and his legs. But if he can't stop playing so reserved and in his head, then the kid is never gonna be a starter in this league no matter how much he works on the fundamentals.

I am actually excited to see our QB battle this year as I think someone will emerge who can run the new offense being built and its not as dire as many believe it to be.

I can understand how people can have doubt. What I cannot understand is how anyone can give up on a QB with less than a full season of playing time under his belt. I'm not the "I told you so," type, but when EJ wins the job and kicks ass this season, I might become one, temporarily.

its just what the article says : young quarterbacks are expected to enter the league and perform right away. the game is evolving into more passing and you need a game changing qb there at all times. especially when its you're no1 pick

As far as EJ goes...to write him off is absurd and stupid. Its not about whether he will or will not become a good QB...its about how he hasn't had enough time to develop and was saddled with a staff that IMO was inept.

In 14 games, he has 3 comeback wins. Thats important stat to me with EJ for one big reason...he always started slow and played better under pressure. The reason being is because he played too cautious and confined and got away from having a feel for the game and playing loose and comfortable. There was so much pressure for him not to make a mistake or take a hit, he played restricted and reserved and it showed.

I have golfed most my adult life...I am not very good unless I am playing my friends who are mostly worse lol. However, when I sit there and analyze all the things I need to do right in my swing while addressing the ball, I usually hit a pretty bad shot. When I get up to the ball, take a quick practice swing, immediately lineup and let it rip I tend to get my best and longest shots.

EJ was in his head too much and didn't play off his instincts, natural ability, and general feel for the game. If the staff can help the kid relax and let loose, then I think we can see what EJ really can do with both his arms and his legs. But if he can't stop playing so reserved and in his head, then the kid is never gonna be a starter in this league no matter how much he works on the fundamentals.

I am actually excited to see our QB battle this year as I think someone will emerge who can run the new offense being built and its not as dire as many believe it to be.

3 comeback wins? He has the comeback win against Carolina. What are the other two?

He has? I must have missed those games, or was that before the rest of the league got enough game film on him and D coordinators caught up to him?

I am actually excited to see our QB battle this year as I think someone will emerge who can run the new offense being built and its not as dire as many believe it to

I like the way you think. EJ will be fine. Cassel is going to be very good competition too. The thing that I'm excited about is having coaches that are going to find a way to get the most out of them. Offense, I think is going to be fun to watch this year.

He has? I must have missed those games, or was that before the rest of the league got enough game film on him and D coordinators caught up to him?

San Diego exploited our oline, and every team followed that blue print to the demise of our offense with EJ or with Orton.

EJ's first 10 games weren't bad.

This about sums up the ridiculousness on EJ. All these people coming up with absolutes about his demise and yet they don't even know what he's actually accomplished or the flashes he's actually shown.

Even funnier, is that he has had more mediocre to decent games than he has had terrible games, but amid you read all propaganda around here you would think most his starts he was terrible. He's actually only had a few bad games, and heaven forbid a young QB who dealt with his own injuries and injuries all across the offense (especially his first 10 games) has a couple rough outings.

He may end up being a bust...he may end up being our future. The bottom line is he's shown the potential to be either one and to decide which one he is now is absurd. Especially given the idiots that were previously coaching him who didn't want him to play in the first place and wanted a Vet.

Edited by Alphadawg7

This about sums up the ridiculousness on EJ. All these people coming up with absolutes about his demise and yet they don't even know what he's actually accomplished or the flashes he's actually shown.

Even funnier, is that he has had more mediocre to decent games than he has had terrible games, but amid you read all propaganda around here you would think most his starts he was terrible. He's actually only had a few bad games, and heaven forbid a young QB who dealt with his own injuries and injuries all across the offense (especially his first 10 games) has a couple rough outings.

He may end up being a bust...he may end up being our future. The bottom line is he's shown the potential to be either one and to decide which one he is now is absurd. Especially given the idiots that were previously coaching him who didn't want him to play in the first place and wanted a Vet.

And our GM.

San Diego exploited our oline, and every team followed that blue print to the demise of our offense with EJ or with Orton.

EJ's first 10 games weren't bad.

This is something we all need to consider.

The O line never self corrected. Did not adjust well to different teams or gametime trends.

I am going to say it again.

Marrone Hackett Era needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Everyone regressed.

Lets let Kromer and Roman see what they can see.

and turn the page on the last two years of questionable offense.

Yes, but the guys they plugged-in were 4th rounders or later. The Bills tried replacing guys around but to no avail.

Doc, I guess it can depend upon your definition of "tried replacing guys around".

The Patriots really switched the interior of the line around - Center and both guards, then a 2nd change - after 3 weeks and 4 weeks.

After 3 or 4 games, Williams went on IR for the Bills and they tried Richardson. That lasted for another 3 games, then Urbik came in at LG to replace Richardson.

That's all the switching around there was, as far as I can tell. And yes, I'll spare y'all the scenarios, but there could have been more tried.

hope for the best, plan for the worst.

Papa

I think they did that to the best of their ability.....

We didnt have a lot of trade pieces to get the likes of Sam Bradford.....and even then his injury history makes him a huge question mark......we had QBs flat out retire from the NFL. When you combine that with the fact that we have invested in the players AROUND the QB with nothing left for what a franchise QB would cost.

The bills were smart to jump on Cassell and Tyrod Taylor....because frankly there just was not a lot out there.

The best would be EJ Manuel securing the starting spot.....and doing so by outshining everyone else (with Cassell also having a strong camp

The worst would be EJ having a horrible camp like he did last year......and Cassel not looking great but going with the vet......this most certainly will bring us to draft a QB with our 1st rounder next year.

He has shown flashes all right. Flashes of QB incompetence more than anything else, but we shall see, and if he falls on his face AGAIN, then all you excuse makers have more ammo for the argument. Should be interesting.

He has shown flashes all right. Flashes of QB incompetence more than anything else, but we shall see, and if he falls on his face AGAIN, then all you excuse makers have more ammo for the argument. Should be interesting.

To say that he shows "flashes of QB incompetence" would mean that the rest of the time he has looked like an NFL QB.

What an article.

Where Manuel Needs To Improve

-Accuracy

-Pocket Presence

-Decision Making/Progressions

-Staying Healthy

If it was only so easy.

He needs to improve at accuracy? Pocket presence? Decision making? Health?

That stuff isn't even important!

He's just waiting to bust out...and I think he just needs more time.

Give him 5 or 6 more seasons. The doubters will be begin to believe!

He needs to improve at accuracy? Pocket presence? Decision making? Health?

That stuff isn't even important!

He's just waiting to bust out...and I think he just needs more time.

Give him 5 or 6 more seasons. The doubters will be begin to believe!

I would just like to see him come out and throw it with some decisiveness.......if he throws ints.....so be it!

Go down swinging EJ

Let' see what he does with NFL caliber coaching rather than mediocre Big East coaching first.

LOL. It's tough to argue with this.

I would just like to see him come out and throw it with some decisiveness.......if he throws ints.....so be it!

Go down swinging EJ

I couldn't agree more. Throw and run with reckless abandon. Injuries and interceptions be damned.

Tell him he is expected to give 110% and then when he doesn't do it, we'll know why.

So thats all he's shown? LMAO. This is the stuff that is over the top ridiculous. He has multiple good games, comeback wins, big wins, etc...twice he was either rookie of the week or nominated for rookie of the week his rookie year. Yet people keep OVER EXAGGERATING his struggles as if every moment he was on the field was bad, which it clearly wasnt.

In fact, he has more games of being mediocre or good than he does being bad. No one is saying he's going to be our future, but the difference between us and the people who proclaim he's a bust is that we acknowledge what he's done good and bad while the bashers just insist its all been bad. They completely ignore the positive flashes he has shown at times and claim they don't exist which is factually incorrect. He's had good moments and good games. In fact, his stats are comparable, and in several cases, better than many good QB's, past and present, during their first 14 games and in several cases better. Yet people act like he's been atrocious in every game.

Reality Check: He's had bad, average, and good games, not just all bad. Shocker, a young QB with an inept coaching staff, OL issues, and injury issues to other starters on offense had some ups and down while also recovering from early injuries of his own.

Why this kid gets slammed so much is beyond me...he works hard, wants to be great, shown flashes of potential, and has been a model teammate and player for the Bills. He has a lot of work to do and needs to earn the job, but the exaggeration of how bad he is ridiculous.

Personally, I don't care who the QB is, I just want to win. I do however think EJ still has a lot of upside and I am excited to see the competition this year and see how the battle plays out as I think one of the guys on our roster can step up and lead Romans offense the way its being designed.

Joe B gets it.

Maybe, but he also hated the pick when it happened and has never changed his opinion on him. He is a big FSU fan; but didn't think EJ was a good pick, which I get. He has always been anti-EJ, and is entitled to that opinion, but it does bias his reporting somewhat Imo. At least from what I could tell when he was on the radio.