Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?  

294 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

• Yes
    • No
    • They will actually sign Clay Charles and he's a baller
    • Perhaps. I need to ask Pat Moran.
  2. 2. When will they sign him?

• 5 days from today
    • 5 days from tomorrow
    • When he is a FA again in 2019
    • NEVER. Big Sammy will start at TE and we will like it.
    • 5 days from "soon"

Until Miami waives the tag, I don't see much reason to believe they'll let Clay walk. They love playing two TEs and could replace Wallace/Hartline/Gibson with Stills/draft pick for a fraction of the cost, enough to sign Clay to play with Cameron.

then they need to sign him to a long term extension. Are they willing to pay more than the Bills? If not and they keep

the tag, will they be able to match an offer constructed so that they can't absorb cap hits in certain years based on how they have current players constructed? How important is he to them now that they have Cameron in the fold along with Dion sims? They can still play all the 2 TE sets they want. They can draft a TE. They can sign Gresham or a James Casey type. They still need a WR too. There are a lot of factors beyond whether they can "afford" him at this moment.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This situation is a head scratcher. Why aren't the Dolphins trying to sign him long term? Why hasn't any other team approached him about a deal? Does everyone know Buffalo's offer will be too expensive to match?

BTW. I don't mind the wait. I actually like it. Football news is hard to come by lately so at least I have this.

Here's an interesting take on why teams use the transition tag...

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2014-03-06/transition-tag-alex-mack-jason-worilds-what-it-means-free-agency-match-offer-test-market-franchise-tag

"So what is the message the teams are sending these players by using this management tool to restrict player movement?

Said Andrew Brandt, the former Green Bay Packers vice president of player finance: "We don't agree with your agent's perception of your value. Let's let you test the market and see what happens."

That's what they'll say publicly, but the real message is: "We don't think you want to stay here."

Otherwise, why even put the tag on the guy in the first place? If you are willing to match or beat any offer they are going to get on the open market, there is no need to guarantee, in Mack's case, a one-year salary that pays him $2 million more than any other center in the league. The only reason you have to put the transition tag on a guy is if you think he no longer wants to be on your team, and therefore won’t give you the right in free agency to match any offer he gets on the market."

Edited by Lurker

Regardless of the player Clay is I think this is a pretty interesting power struggle between two rival clubs.

I would like to see an in depth journalistic column that delves deep into the inner workings of something like this as it is likely unprecedented for the length it has been drawn out. After it is concluded of course.

Both teams have a vendetta to make this more difficult on the other. It's only a question of who is more patient and is hurt less by the process being drawn out. I would guess that the Bills are hurt less at this point.

Regardless of the player Clay is I think this is a pretty interesting power struggle between two rival clubs.

I would like to see an in depth journalistic column that delves deep into the inner workings of something like this as it is likely unprecedented for the length it has been drawn out. After it is concluded of course.

Both teams have a vendetta to make this more difficult on the other. It's only a question of who is more patient and is hurt less by the process being drawn out. I would guess that the Bills are hurt less at this point.

Agreed. This isnt just two teams vying for a guy they both like. It's two long-time rivals putting on their best poker faces in an attempt to screw the other one over. The player is almost secondary at this point. Would love to know what's really going on in the Front Offices.

Big gulps, huh?

Hahahaha

:thumbsup:

I agree, this is a chess match. I'd love to know what is really going on.

So Clay knows Miami has no need for him and the Bills want him desperately. Is it any wonder why he hasn't signed an offer sheet yet? My guess...he is bending the Bills over. If an offer sheet is ever signed, expect it to be mind blowing in terms of TE contracts.

I agree, this is a chess match. I'd love to know what is really going on.

This is the one deal where I would love to be an insider. There are so many intriguing aspects to this, not the least of which is the Tannenbaum/Ryan relationship. Tannenbaum has unabashed love for Rex but you know he wants to out maneuver him on this...Rex wants to either restrict a rival from improving their team by making them wait too long to address LB, WR or OL or get Clay or preferably both. They are probably talking to each other every day playing this gamesmanship...

Edited by Formerly Joe F

I really don't think there's any way with the amount of cap space each side allegedly has that either is hamstringed by this Clay pissing contest.

If Miami really has 21 million in space, they could sign a couple more guys AND Clay to the tender if they so chose. And if we have 14 million in space (both figures based off Omar Kelly last night), we could get another lineman and sign Clay if we so chose. If you look at who's left on the market - who is Miami being kept from signing? It's pretty much bargain shopping now.

I just don't see much of a point to all of this besides pride. It's beyond ridiculous at this point.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

I really don't think there's any way with the amount of cap space each side allegedly has that either is hamstringed by this Clay pissing contest.

If Miami really has 21 million in space, they could sign a couple more guys AND Clay to the tender if they so chose. And if we have 14 million in space (both figures based off Omar Kelly last night), we could get another lineman and sign Clay if we so chose. If you look at who's left on the market - who is Miami being kept from signing? It's pretty much bargain shopping now.

I just don't see much of a point to all of this besides pride. It's beyond ridiculous at this point.

The issue is Miami doesn't just need a "couple of guys", they need like 10...their roster is very top heavy with very little quality depth...they are going to be in trouble, you cannot get through injuries to key players over the course of a season with no depth...

Anyone know who Clay's agent is?

National Sports Agency

http://nsafootball.com/meet-the-team/index.html

The issue is Miami doesn't just need a "couple of guys", they need like 10...their roster is very top heavy with very little quality depth...they are going to be in trouble, you cannot get through injuries to key players over the course of a season with no depth...

This is the big Bingo matter.....they need to get a move on in second tier FA and they can't until this is resolved.

Miami reportedly has only 38 players under contract for 2015, so at some point they'll have to fill out the roster. I suspect the Bills are betting the Fins will eventually blink and get on with signing other guys, which will use up their $21 million in cap space pretty quickly.

The OvertheCap guys are pretty good at what they do and they think Miami's screwed by the Suh deal...

http://overthecap.com/suhs-contract-cripples-the-dolphins/

This year, no. Next year Miami already has 116m(cap space) tied up in 30ish players. Assuming the cap goes up 10m, they will have about 37m left. This isn't including whatever Clay may sign for and their starting QB (who I would assume is going to be a cap hit of at least 12m). So if you give Clay a modest cap hit of 7m next year they have about 18m left to sign about 20 guys.

The only other big cap number to consider next year is Mike Pouncy who is at 7.4m this year.

Edited by The Wiz