Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?  

294 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

• Yes
    • No
    • They will actually sign Clay Charles and he's a baller
    • Perhaps. I need to ask Pat Moran.
  2. 2. When will they sign him?

• 5 days from today
    • 5 days from tomorrow
    • When he is a FA again in 2019
    • NEVER. Big Sammy will start at TE and we will like it.
    • 5 days from "soon"

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@CharlesRobinson: Echoing @viccarucci, #Bills still going after TE Charles Clay, but #Dolphins clearing cap room has made the pursuit slightly more difficult.

Blah blah blah.... I should start tweeting out obvious statements, people might think I have an in with a source.

Edited by Beef Jerky

Could be that Clay is telling Miami, you want to get a long term contract, first remove the tag so I can gauge my true worth, then we'll talk. But Miami knows once they do that, they will price themselves out of the market very quickly, so instead are keeping the tag on, and are offering a somewhat low long term contract, but Clays isn't biting on it, not since he knows the Bills at some point are going to offer him more.

Maybe other teams wouldn't want to play that much as he's not atypical TE, but in Romans offense he's a perfect match so the Bills are willing to pay more than many others are willing.

This situation is a head scratcher. Why aren't the Dolphins trying to sign him long term? Why hasn't any other team approached him about a deal? Does everyone know Buffalo's offer will be too expensive to match?

BTW. I don't mind the wait. I actually like it. Football news is hard to come by lately so at least I have this.

More like one. The Fins fans don't seem to have as much interest in this as we do, from the sites I've visited.

look on twitter. They are all desperately tweeting at him.

@CharlesRobinson: #Dolphins problem w/ keeping Clay (or signing anyone, really) is $ spike in yr 2 of Ndamukong Suh deal. Any new contracts need a workaround.

@CharlesRobinson: Again. It's not just year 1 of Charles Clay contract that matters. Year 2 a big deal as well. #Dolphins can't just load up 2016 cap either.

Edited by YoloinOhio

There is one aspect to this that I am pretty sure has not been mentioned.....and that is....

If a player signs a contract after receiving the transition tag, his original team cannot use the tag again on any player until the contract has expired.

If the Dolphins rescind the tag, or if Clay signs the 1 year tag deal, they can use the transition tag again(on any player) next season.

It seems to me that if the Dolphins have given up on Clay as some media has reported, it would be in their best interest to rescind the tag thus enabling its use in future years if needed. Conversely, if the Bills make an offer before the Dolphins rescind the tag they would not only remove the transition ability away from the Dolphins for the length of the contract(regardless if he plays for Bills or if Dolphins match offer)......but it would also ensure that no 3rd party teams could move in on the Clay action.

That maybe 1 team a year uses it makes me suspect they don't care much about this consideration

I honestly think this has become less about a player and more about a pissing match between 2 division rivals.......

I will say one thing for our front office.....they are pitbulls and wont let go of the bone first

I agree 100% well said.

I think they are both trying to see if the other will give up first

CBF

I honestly think this has become less about a player and more about a pissing match between 2 division rivals.......

I will say one thing for our front office.....they are pitbulls and wont let go of the bone first

If this is the case, I now understand the "hype." Not saying I wouldn't like to have the guy on the team, but we'll surpas 50 pages before it even happens. I forget how long the Mario thread was, but this guy is no MW.

My question, can he play OG? :)

@pbpsports: Miami Dolphins gamble with Charles Clay didnt have to happen http://t.co/5C1dOCJTLHhttp://t.co/IwkQj8hGx5

I do remember initial reports that they were thinking they could re-sign him for 4m/yr right around the time of the combine. Pretty sure Whaley whispered in his agent's ear at Indy that the Bills were prepared to blow it out of the water. Then Miami panicked when they couldn't sign him, figured no one would top 7m/yr and the tran tag would keep everyone away, and now they are stuck either giving him a giant contract on top of cameron's or letting him go.

@pbpsports: Miami Dolphins gamble with Charles Clay didnt have to happen http://t.co/5C1dOCJTLHhttp://t.co/IwkQj8hGx5

I do remember initial reports that they were thinking they could re-sign him for 4m/yr right around the time of the combine. Pretty sure Whaley whispered in his agent's ear at Indy that the Bills were prepared to blow it out of the water. Then Miami panicked when they couldn't sign him, figured no one would top 7m/yr and the tran tag would keep everyone away, and now they are stuck either giving him a giant contract on top of cameron's or letting him go.

WOW that is busy!! :blink: :blink:

Word came from The Buffalo News on Monday that the Bills are inching closer to (finally) making Clay an offer, and that it’s going to be loaded with reasons the Dolphins won’t want to or cannot match. The ol’ poison pill approach.