Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?  

294 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

• Yes
    • No
    • They will actually sign Clay Charles and he's a baller
    • Perhaps. I need to ask Pat Moran.
  2. 2. When will they sign him?

• 5 days from today
    • 5 days from tomorrow
    • When he is a FA again in 2019
    • NEVER. Big Sammy will start at TE and we will like it.
    • 5 days from "soon"

Personally, I think the Bills front office is working on contract structure that will make it painful for the Dolphins to match. To boot, the Dolphins only have 5 days to match an offer being made. Strategically, it doesn't make sense for the Bills to rush anything. If I'm in the front office, I wait to see if Miami takes a shot at anyone else in free agency and make the offer to Clay as late as possible to allow for the highest chance of success.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@pbpsports: Miami Dolphins gamble with Charles Clay didnt have to happen http://t.co/5C1dOCJTLHhttp://t.co/IwkQj8hGx5

I do remember initial reports that they were thinking they could re-sign him for 4m/yr right around the time of the combine. Pretty sure Whaley whispered in his agent's ear at Indy that the Bills were prepared to blow it out of the water. Then Miami panicked when they couldn't sign him, figured no one would top 7m/yr and the tran tag would keep everyone away, and now they are stuck either giving him a giant contract on top of cameron's or letting him go.

I love the all the comments about how he's not worth even the tag amount of 7.1 or that he is no Gronk, but Phin phans seem OK with paying him and Jordan like they were Gronk/Hernandez.

GO BILLS!!!

Personally, I think the Bills front office is working on contract structure that will make it painful for the Dolphins to match. To boot, the Dolphins only have 5 days to match an offer being made. Strategically, it doesn't make sense for the Bills to rush anything. If I'm in the front office, I wait to see if Miami takes a shot at anyone else in free agency and make the offer to Clay as late as possible to allow for the highest chance of success.

unless another team beats Buffalo to the punch

Yup, all about the "strategery"

I know I'm adding to this thread by just typing this, but 48 pages on Charles Clay? Guy better **** gold bars that we use for our SB rings.

Steve, you're not even counting the two OTHER Clay threads that were closed. One was 59 pages, the other around 38 IIRC.

unless another team beats Buffalo to the punch

There aren't any other teams around that want to spend that kind of money on the guy. What he's good at is making our brain trust think he's the missing link in the three ring circus they're assembling to go all-out Defcom 4 Nuts on the League. He's a special 55 gallon drum of Whoop-Ass that RexRoman wants to unleash on our foes come September.

WOW that is busy!! :blink: :blink:

Word came from The Buffalo News on Monday that the Bills are inching closer to (finally) making Clay an offer, and that its going to be loaded with reasons the Dolphins wont want to or cannot match. The ol poison pill approach.

"Miami is running out of money and the bills plan on paying him" is hardly the poison pill approach

(Except Cleveland early) Both comforting and a little scary at the same time...

Based on all the leaks, etc it is a good bet that the agent has shared the numbers on what the Bills are willing to pay him, and any team that has reached out has decided it's too much for a TE bad haven't bothered with the visit. Not sure wage happened with the Cleveland visit. No one is saying the Bills aren't "overpaying" for him but it's all relative. Right now the only pass catcher they are paying is Harvin and that's for 1 yr. The rest are on rookie deals or cheap contracts. Edited by YoloinOhio

There aren't any other teams around that want to spend that kind of money on the guy. What he's good at is making our brain trust think he's the missing link in the three ring circus they're assembling to go all-out Defcom 4 Nuts on the League. He's a special 55 gallon drum of Whoop-Ass that RexRoman wants to unleash on our foes come September.

There are a few teams with cap space that could afford him.

OK, let's dig deeper on this point/idea. Who else has Clay visited? Give up? The answer is nobody.

Teams (beyond Buffalo and Miami) that have or had interest in Clay

1 - Brownies

2 - Bronco's

3 - Bengals

4 - Packers

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2322952-charles-clay-rumors-latest-buzz-and-speculation-surrounding-free-agent-te

http://www.milehighreport.com/2015/3/1/8130395/could-the-denver-broncos-have-interest-in-charles-clay

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

was just reading an article on the dolphins/saints trade saying the fins paid a large portion of ellerbes salary and an april bonus right before the trade as a restructure to keep it on their books instead of the saints. i know a few have asked about that concept, but i think thats the first ive seen it in practice.

There are a few teams with cap space that could afford him.

Teams (beyond Buffalo and Miami) that have or had interest in Clay

1 - Brownies

2 - Bronco's

3 - Bengals

4 - Packers

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2322952-charles-clay-rumors-latest-buzz-and-speculation-surrounding-free-agent-te

http://www.milehighreport.com/2015/3/1/8130395/could-the-denver-broncos-have-interest-in-charles-clay

that article is from

March 1. They signed Virgil Green.