Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?  

294 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

• Yes
    • No
    • They will actually sign Clay Charles and he's a baller
    • Perhaps. I need to ask Pat Moran.
  2. 2. When will they sign him?

• 5 days from today
    • 5 days from tomorrow
    • When he is a FA again in 2019
    • NEVER. Big Sammy will start at TE and we will like it.
    • 5 days from "soon"

I do not believe that to be correct. A team can tag one player a year using whatever tag they choose. Alex Mack was transition tagged last year by Cleveland. An offer from Jacksonville for a 5 year contract was tendered to Mack which he signed. Cleveland exercised their right of first refusal and kept Mack who is now on a 5 year contract. If what your saying is true then Cleveland would not be able to tag any players until 2019. Yet this year there were reports of the possibility of tagging Jordan Cameron.

It was also noted on NFL.com's franchise-tag-tracker the players that were tagged as well as players that were thought to be in danger of being tagged. Jordan Cameron was one of the players listed.

It seems pretty clear that a team's ability to use the tag is in no way tied to the length of previously tagged players contract.

No, I believe he's correct. Wikipedia says "If a player signs a contract after receiving the transition tag, his original team can not use the tag again on any player until the contract has expired. The exception is if the player first signs a transition offer sheet..."

So if Mack signed the transition offer, then got signed to a long term deal, they could use the tag again. If he had been offered by another team, than the Browns matched that deal, without ever signing the transition offer, then they couldn't use the transition tag again until that player plays out his contract.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not believe that to be correct. A team can tag one player a year using whatever tag they choose. Alex Mack was transition tagged last year by Cleveland. An offer from Jacksonville for a 5 year contract was tendered to Mack which he signed. Cleveland exercised their right of first refusal and kept Mack who is now on a 5 year contract. If what your saying is true then Cleveland would not be able to tag any players until 2019. Yet this year there were reports of the possibility of tagging Jordan Cameron.

It was also noted on NFL.com's franchise-tag-tracker the players that were tagged as well as players that were thought to be in danger of being tagged. Jordan Cameron was one of the players listed.

It seems pretty clear that a team's ability to use the tag is in no way tied to the length of previously tagged players contract.

I think you might want to consider the possibility that the reporter in that Cameron article was not fully aware of the transition tag rules when they were speculating as to why the Browns didn't tag Cameron(with either tag).

Also, the NFL link was tracking the Franchise Tags, not the Transition tags. As far as I am aware, apart from only being able to use one tag or the other in any given year, the tags are seperate from each other. A team may be restricted in their use of a particular tag for a number of years due to the afore mentioned contract length, but are still able to use the other tag throughout that period.

No, I believe he's correct. Wikipedia says "If a player signs a contract after receiving the transition tag, his original team can not use the tag again on any player until the contract has expired.

Wikipedia can be edited by anyone so there is no guarantee the above is anywhere close to accurate. It is usually a good idea to check the references in a Wikipedia article to see if article is supported by the reference, which in this case, there isn't even a reference giving it zero credibility. Wikipedia also says:

The factual accuracy of parts of this article (those related to article) may be compromised due to out-of-date information. Please update this article to reflect recent events or newly available information. (March 2012)

It would be appreciated if you could provide a credible reference to the above claim.

I think you might want to consider the possibility that the reporter in that Cameron article was not fully aware of the transition tag rules when they were speculating as to why the Browns didn't tag Cameron(with either tag).

I would appreciate a credible link to you claim. Unless I missed it you have not supported what you believe to be the transition tag rules.

Also, the NFL link was tracking the Franchise Tags, not the Transition tags.

NFL link was tracking both. Or didn't you see the last name on the tagged list:

Charles Clay, Miami Dolphins, tight end: Clay received the Dolphins' transition tag, the team announced. Clay will receive $7.071 million under the under the transition tag. Clay can sign an offer sheet with any team he wants, but the Dolphins will have the right to match any contract.

5 days seven days its an eternity! and its seven

or maybe it s five. but the clock has not started ticking yet has it ?

I cant take it anymore. the pressure is absurd.

i never liked chess even when i played it

whatever dude. make things up if you feel better about yourself

Pegual had him in the plane and siiht. WTF kinda disrespect is this kid showin' ?

He should have already be moved in up in here. and ballin wit sammy.

I know I know brother. I think this piece along with the FA guard is key to the season. Doesn't have to be great, but be decent or better pleeze.

You draft either piece and you are taking a big risk on being effective quickly. With FA its a better well known quantity i think.

Brilliant :lol:

I would appreciate a credible link to you claim. Unless I missed it you have not supported what you believe to be the transition tag rules.

NFL link was tracking both. Or didn't you see the last name on the tagged list:

Can't find one.....apart from wiki. Perhaps you could find a link that shows it not being correct.

Yes, I did see his name.....but there is nothing in the article that implies he can/can't be transition tagged. He is in the "not tagged" section, and since he can be franchise tagged, he would be on the list regardless to whether he can be transitioned or not.

Edited by Dibs