Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?  

294 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

• Yes
    • No
    • They will actually sign Clay Charles and he's a baller
    • Perhaps. I need to ask Pat Moran.
  2. 2. When will they sign him?

• 5 days from today
    • 5 days from tomorrow
    • When he is a FA again in 2019
    • NEVER. Big Sammy will start at TE and we will like it.
    • 5 days from "soon"

Browns might be interested, they have cap room .

They are interested but all signs have been pointing to Clay either signing with Miami or with Buffalo. I imagine the Pegula Express "limo" has impressed Charles. :w00t:

I don't know if "hate" is the word here. Especially if the result is now what I expect which is the Bills called the Fish' bluff and they folded and

walked away weeping. Poor fishys.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look - the key is Clay signs a contract with the Bills. What "leverage" do you speak of? Miami then can match, ball is in THEIR court at that point.

I see no advantage to the Fish leaking anything. They DO have $7 mil at risk if Clay signs his tender which may be what Miami is threatened by. Miami wants one of two things either Clay signs with them cheaply because he sooooo wants to stay in Miami (obviously the kid didn't agree to this) or "trick" Buffalo into overpaying.

The slowness of this process appears to me to be a savvy front office patiently waiting for Clay to wake up and smell the coffee (that the Bills not only want him but are willing to pay him well with guaranteed money for years). Sign the contract, kid!

i think the idea is that Miami leaking they're done with Clay could influence Buffalo to not have to make such a strong offer. They could then perhaps match that offer.

i think the idea is that Miami leaking they're done with Clay could influence Buffalo to not have to make such a strong offer. They could then perhaps match that offer.

Seriously, you think the Bills fall for that? They're not children.

When I first saw this new development in the wee hours ( yes, inebriated) I was thrilled and wanted to call all my ex-girlfriends to share the news. (I KNEW they wanted to hear from me anyway..). Now, though, in the light of day and the cold reality that I'm fat and old, I see this as absolutely nothing more than a continuation of the stare-down that started March 10th. Just another peripheral smokescreen to get the other to blink.

Nothing to see hear, IMO.

When I first saw this new development in the wee hours ( yes, inebriated) I was thrilled and wanted to call all my ex-girlfriends to share the news. (I KNEW they wanted to hear from me anyway..). Now, though, in the light of day and the cold reality that I'm fat and old, I see this as absolutely nothing more than a continuation of the stare-down that started March 10th. Just another peripheral smokescreen to get the other to blink.

Nothing to see hear, IMO.

So what you're saying is you broke up with those women because they're dolphins fans? Nice move.

This could be the second time this week Miami's FO panicked according to this

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/jordan-camerons-agents-manipulated-media-to-get-dolphins-contract/ar-AA9MHp8#page=1

Bills were always in the position of power. We could sign whoever we wanted, but the Dolphins hands were tied in fear of what we would offer Clay. It was a matter of time before somebody inside the Dolphins organization panicked. No need to sacrifice the team for a TE when you have many other pressing needs.

I don't remember the Bills ever entering into a contract situation like this the last 10-15 years. There's a new guy in the building who is a master negotiator. I have a feeling it's Pegula.

Seriously, you think the Bills fall for that? They're not children.

I would hope not, it could also be Miami's way of trying to move this thing along. With the transition tag they're sitting with Clay on their roster at a $7M cap hit and they probably want to use that money and fill that roster spot.

I said that half kidding, but I did think the people here who were going nuts because they kept him (and RB) were way off base. They weren't the problem, the problem was working withing the budget that RW and even more Littman set. Now they have a real budget to work with.

it could be JO with the ability to work with an actual NFL budget, not doing the lowest paid head coach in the league and lowest paid assitants. Smallest scouting roster etc. NOT same old bills

If there ever was a team the Bills could do this to, I'm really glad it was Miami. Now, if they could only re-kindle the on-field rivalry.

imo they do have a an on-field rivalry and are the biggest rival in the division. I'm in the minority. But it's how I define "rivalry" I guess.

imo they do have a an on-field rivalry and are the biggest rival in the division. I'm in the minority. But it's how I define "rivalry" I guess.

I will always hate the Dolphins in a special way. Besides "Oh for the 70's", watching them prance around getting tan in tee shirts and flip flops while it was getting dark outside at my house as I sat by the fire trying to thaw out..... that is one big black cloud from my childhood. (Is our hour up yet?)

Someone give this dude some coffee

@OmarKelly: #Dolphins have $20.8M in cap space right now, and if Charles Clay's $7M comes off the books if he signs with Bills it would jump to $20.8M.

Well, he's sort of right, it's just that the $7M isn't on the books yet until he signs the tender. So if he leaves it stays at 20.8M.

I will always hate the Dolphins in a special way. Besides "Oh for the 70's", watching them prance around getting tan in tee shirts and flip flops while it was getting dark outside at my house as I sat by the fire trying to thaw out..... that is one big black cloud from my childhood. (Is our hour up yet?)

yep. There is no real rivalry with NE until we manage to beat them more than once every 8 years. We have straight up annihilated the Jets 3 straight games. Miami has been more "even" though we have mostly had Tannehill's #. The thing last year where they wanted to take over the Ralph was priceless. Their fans love to trash the city of Buffalo but it was pretty funny to see them flat embarrassed by the Bills in 2 of the last 3. Edited by YoloinOhio

Well, he's sort of right, it's just that the $7M isn't on the books yet until he signs the tender. So if he leaves it stays at 20.8M.

Actually, I think the $7M is on the books as soon as he was tagged...I may be wrong but I think I'm correct.

Nanker's brother in law's sister's cousin's hairdresser's dog walker's nephew.

I had no idea that you knew him. I shall do what I can to close that lead forthwith! :lol:

Someone give this dude some coffee

@OmarKelly: #Dolphins have $20.8M in cap space right now, and if Charles Clay's $7M comes off the books if he signs with Bills it would jump to $20.8M.

Two sets of books? :ph34r:

Actually, I think the $7M is on the books as soon as he was tagged...I may be wrong but I think I'm correct.

You are correct. The tags are given a pre-assigned value by the NFL before FA starts. Once the tag is used on a player, it s value counts against the cap until a deal is reached long term or if they sign an offer sheet and the original team matches it.

You are correct. The tags are given a pre-assigned value by the NFL before FA starts. Once the tag is used on a player, it s value counts against the cap until a deal is reached long term or if they sign an offer sheet and the original team matches it.

Cool, thanks

So how the hell did Miami end up with so much cap space? I know they dropped and traded a bunch of guys, but still...

They got the Vikes to take Wallace's contract and traded a LB who they were going to cut. Saved about 10mil.

it actually is on the books currently.

Oh, my bad fellas, thanks for clearing that up for me regarding Clay's cap hit on the Dolphins.

Edited by Mark80

Cool, thanks

(replying to your post in closed thread re clay) its so in 2 years when we need to land a lt or qb or cb that we may really need, we havent tied up a bunch of money in guys that dont produce, like we did w fitz, i think lawyer milloy, that loser guard dockery and langston walker, oh and the most guilty waste of cap space ever... kelsay. its really dumb to overspend one year, just like overspending picks to get 1 guy

(replying to your post in closed thread re clay) its so in 2 years when we need to land a lt or qb or cb that we may really need, we havent tied up a bunch of money in guys that dont produce, like we did w fitz, i think lawyer milloy, that loser guard dockery and langston walker, oh and the most guilty waste of cap space ever... kelsay. its really dumb to overspend one year, just like overspending picks to get 1 guy

Again, I understand but they are not in cap trouble and every year is different. In 2 years Kyle Williams most likely gone...McKelvin too..that's a minimum of $10M...Fred Jackson is gone after this year...almost $3M more...There are ways to sign who you want and still be under the cap.