Harvin signs w/ Bills: 3 yr / $24M (voids to 1 yr / $6M)

The lynch mob with the pitchforks here are finally understanding the job that JO does. It is always weird here watching people rip Overdorf, Brandon, etc... without any real understanding of what the job entails. The Bills leadership is (and has always been) incredibly strong. The freedom to operate proves Overdorf isn't a liability but a cap wizard.

I'd change that to ownership is incredibly strong. Not that Ralph wasn't, but he definitely had JO stay "within budget"...

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd change that to ownership is incredibly strong. Not that Ralph wasn't, but he definitely had JO stay "within budget"...

That was kind of the point. They have always been strong but restrained by Littman. With Pegula giving the freedom to operate you are seeing good work. JO wasn't bad and all of a sudden good. He was always good but limited in what he could do.

That was kind of the point. They have always been strong but restrained by Littman. With Pegula giving the freedom to operate you are seeing good work. JO wasn't bad and all of a sudden good. He was always good but limited in what he could do.

Well see.

next years salary could get interesting.

But from a fans point of view? This is freaking AWESOME!!!!!

Best off season EVER

It could be argued that Jimmy O had to be even better with the cap while operating under tighter budgetary constraints.

GO BILLS!!!

He's not doing anything different than what he ever did before. He's just doing it without the strict budgetary constraints previously imposed.

GO BILLS!!!

So it's basically like nothing he's ever been able to do. Cash to the cap etc.

So it's basically like nothing he's ever been able to do. Cash to the cap etc.

I think some are over dramatic with cash to cap vs what's allowed on today's nfl. With a cap and floor-teams are not wildly out of line over a couple years. Also we've had some big spending offseasons mixed in- we just haven't hit on value with a lot of guys or been so busy flipping schemes that it can't create synergy. The biggest thing I see this offseason is a roster of talent meeting a set of schemes, hopefully.

A 7, 8 and 9m per year signing plus harvin at 6m isn't that different than Mario at 16, Anderson at 5 and Stevie at 7

Edited by NoSaint

I think some are over dramatic with cash to cap vs what's allowed on today's nfl. With a cap and floor-teams are not wildly out of line over a couple years. Also we've had some big spending offseasons mixed in- we just haven't hit on value with a lot of guys or been so busy flipping schemes that it can't create synergy. The biggest thing I see this offseason is a roster of talent meeting a set of schemes, hopefully.

A 7, 8 and 9m per year signing plus harvin at 6m isn't that different than Mario at 16, Anderson at 5 and Stevie at 7

I get your point but this year we have quality and quantity not just a Mario. Anderson at 5 should not even be in conversation but I think he was much more than that wasn't he? I'm thinking nine or ten.

I get your point but this year we have quality and quantity not just a Mario. Anderson at 5 should not even be in conversation but I think he was much more than that wasn't he? I'm thinking nine or ten.

He was 4 years 20m

But my point was mostly stevie isn't exciting in hindsight while clay is limitless potential today. Or Anderson being a total flop while harvins again exciting and explosive. Mario matches dollars with hughes and McCoy - but the pair are a bit more electric than the workman like dominance.

We've had big offseasons before is all.... We just didn't consistently push and we missed on a lot of guys.

I admit... I never really understood what "cash to cap" was...

Essentially it limited signing bonuses. So our cash spending trued up better year to year. You didn't see 120% of the cap doled out in cash followed by 80% with the team sitting at 100% cap consumed both years as a real simplified way to illustrate. Harvins deal they would've likely structured at 6m this year and no dead money next year. Better or worse? This year it's more fun, next year a little less with our current strategy.

If you aren't SUPER strict, it's not far from most teams outside a couple marquee players that get the monster bonuses now that there's a floor.

Edited by NoSaint

You're right.

You've got Whaley who is wheeling and dealing. You got Pegs flying people around on his private jet. Then, you got Overdorf performing cap magic.

These guys aren't playing around.

We're only missing one critical piece: paying off the refs so they stop !@#$ing us over with bull **** calls.

Let me know when that happens. (But only after you let Hughes know, as I'm sure he'll be ecstatic to know he can finally congratulate a teammate for a good tackle without drawing a personal foul.)