Jerry Hughes signs 5-year deal with Bills

@jchenelly: Jerry Hughes has decided to test the open market. #Bills #NFL #FreeAgency

Update - @SalSports: A source has informed me the Bills are still working hard towards retaining Jerry Hughes & "still optimistic" they can before FA opens 3/10.

Joe Buscaglia @JoeBuscaglia 6m6 minutes ago

#Bills officially announce they've re-signed DE Jerry Hughes

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@jchenelly: Jerry Hughes has decided to test the open market. #Bills #NFL #FreeAgency

Has he broke anything before?

EDIT: Not that I doubt this guy but it seems odd that no one has picked this up. Add to that going through his feed he went from tweeting about political stuff to being an insider...

Edited by Wayne Cubed

There was always a chance this would happen. Supposedly Bills told his agent(s) they know there are others out there who will overpay, but they will not.

I think this decision is fiscally responsible, given the overall talent on the line and the other things they want to do.

I will miss having Hughes on this defense, but I don't necessarily think we'll see a noticable difference in the success of that D.

Jerry wants to get paid. People will automatically blame the Bills. But the Bills just simply cannot afford to sign him to what he wants.

IMO, Jerry is going to go down as one of those bad FA signings that does not live up to the contract if he gets the 10+MM a year. He will no longer had Mario and Dareus to take pressure off of him.

Good luck to him though.

Jerry wants to get paid. People will automatically blame the Bills. But the Bills just simply cannot afford to sign him to what he wants.

IMO, Jerry is going to go down as one of those bad FA signings that does not live up to the contract if he gets the 10+MM a year. He will no longer had Mario and Dareus to take pressure off of him.

Good luck to him though.

Not at all... its the world of FA. Bills can use that money on other needs and also replace him, IMO. I love 55 but that's the reality of FA.

Good luck to him though.

Just as Hughes took pressure off of them.......Hughes made plays when Mario and Mareus did not. Works both ways. Having said that, I don't think the Bills should pay him that kind of money

Edited by nucci

There was always a chance this would happen. Supposedly Bills told his agent(s) they know there are others out there who will overpay, but they will not.

I think this decision is fiscally responsible, given the overall talent on the line and the other things they want to do.

I will miss having Hughes on this defense, but I don't necessarily think we'll see a noticable difference in the success of that D.

I hope most people around here think the same way when it comes to OGs. I'd rather pay a pass rusher like Hughes a premium than an OG like Iupati. He will be missed. A reuniting with Pettine in Cleveland is a very good possibility. Both need and cap space certainly exist. The other usual suspects like Jax, Oakland, etc. should be in the mix.

See ya.

Sorry our $7-$8M a year wasnt good enough for you

See how well you do on a lesser defense.

Hope you do better than your stats with the Colts

CBF

would you take 7-8 knowing you can get 10-11? How do you know he's going to a lesser defense?

Edited by nucci

See ya.

CBF

So you'd leave what, $10M or so, on the table to play on a team that just finally broke .500 for the first time in forever and has no franchise QB?

I just don't understand why Whaley won't use the transition tag. I think the whole "we won't tag you so we can negotiate in good faith" is a BS approach, it's a business and these guys have a short shelf life, they are taking the most money 90% of the time, at least the transition tag gives us the chance to say yes or no to matching a deal.

See ya.

CBF

This is is one chance at a big contract. I can't blame him, he's doing the smart thing. We set a value on him, he thinks he's worth more, it's business.

Good luck Jerry, as long as you don't go to Cleveland. If you do that I hope you break your leg.

I just don't understand why Whaley won't use the transition tag. I think the whole "we won't tag you so we can negotiate in good faith" is a BS approach, it's a business and these guys have a short shelf life, they are taking the most money 90% of the time, at least the transition tag gives us the chance to say yes or no to matching a deal.

Too late now. Maybe they thought it wasn't worth it for one season or that they wouldn't want to match the deal he'd be offered anyway.

Hughes is going to get paid as "The Man", when he is simply a complementary piece...

Smart the Bills aren't going to overpay...he will be far less effective when constantly double and triple teamed due to crappy players around him

Probably because they don't plan to match the huge offer he will get, and if they use that tag they wil not receive any draft pick compensation

Probably because they don't plan to match the huge offer he will get, and if they use that tag they wil not receive any draft pick compensation

Then the whole negotiation was just a show, or a hope they'd get him to agree to a discount based upon emotional pleas. I've known he was gone for a while and think we can replace his production, I just don't understand the whole dog and pony show of meeting with him when we had the tools to ultimately control his destiny and didn't use them.

Hughes is going to get paid as "The Man", when he is simply a complementary piece...

Smart the Bills aren't going to overpay...he will be far less effective when constantly double and triple teamed due to crappy players around him

or he is a good player that will help his new team. And there are other teams with quality players around. Like all those teams that made the playoffs.

Weren't these type of things going to change with the sainted Pegulas taking over?

What "types of things"? I wasn't aware the Pegulas had control over changing the NFL salary cap and FA process.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Im cool with both sides here. Im sure the Bills offered quite a bit... but wouldnt overpay which is fine because I know they are thinking in terms of cap ceiling now.

I dont fault players for looking out for numero uno either. Good luck to Hughes and I hope somehow he is still a Bill

Edited by May Day 10

only an idiot wouldn't test FA. could you imagine selling your house or car and only taking the first offer and not even seeing what other people would pay?

if he's smart he will know our offer is pretty close and come back. otherwise, good luck to him. we know he's good in our defense but who knows if he can do the same things in another D. he sure couldn't in Indy

Weren't these type of things going to change with the sainted Pegulas taking over?

Jerry Hughes is facing probably the one time in his entire career when his value is at its highest. Even if the Bills offered him huge dough, why wouldn't he wait to see what the league will offer? That doesn't mean he won't end up with the Bills anyway. It's a business risk on both sides.

why do you think this will happen? Do you know who he's signing with already and assuming his teammates are all crappy? What if he goes to a good team and records 10 sacks again? Hughes was far from a complementary player. Again Bills fans don't like good players on their team.

Hughes will get overpaid signing with a bad team and end up being cut in two years

Why is everyone saying he will sign with a bad team?

Edited by nucci

Bc bad teams are usually the ones who overpay for players like Hughes who are good not great players.

Jacksonville immediately comes to mind, maybe the Bears, etc

why do you think this will happen? Do you know who he's signing with already and assuming his teammates are all crappy? What if he goes to a good team and records 10 sacks again? Hughes was far from a complementary player. Again Bills fans don't like good players on their team.

They are the ones with the most cap space and worst pass rush. But it doesn't mean he will.