Salary Cap Thread

eball

Potential Cap Saving Opportunities for Bills this offseason:

Leodis McKelvin- $4.9 mil (via trade if Revis is acquired)

Kraig Urbik- $3.05 mil post June 1st (if Iupati signs and with cheaper options for depth)

Chris Williams- $2.48 mil post June 1st (Injury prone with bloated salary--no brainer)

Scott Chandler- $2.25 mil (with acquisition of Clay and Cragg's presence plus deep TE draft)

Mario Williams- $8 mil ??? (per Buffalorumblings.com, If the Bills converted $12 million of Williams’ $14 million salary in 2015 to a signing bonus, this move would create $8 million in additional 2015 cap space)

Fred Jackson- $2.58 mil (Per WGR and Tim Graham, Freddy isn't going anywhere, nor will they approach him for a paycut)

Marquise Goodwin $465,000 (Injury prone and can be replaced by Marcus Thigpen or any FA or draft pick)

TOTALS- (Urbik, Williams, Chandler, Goodwin: $8.43 Million)

(Add Mario Williams Restructure: $16.43 million)

(Add McKelvin Trade: $21.3 million)

NO Fred Jackson

So with the above moves, the Bills can add an additional $21.3 Million to their cap space that currently sits at $12.7 million for a total of $33 million in salary cap space entering FA)

Updated

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills are currently $36 million under next years cap (probably a good $10 million more given the rate the cap has been rising)

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2016/

While they have $69 million in cap room for two years from now. Again, this is $69 million under the current cap of $143,280,000. The cap in 2 years will likely be above $160 million. This is also without rolling over any unspent cap.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2017/

It seems like the Bills are in great shape to be able to re-sign Dareus, Gilmore, Bradham, and Glenn.

why are people worried about NEXT season??? There is still this season to worry about.

How many TE's does this team have and or will employ in games

How solid is the O Line

Is there adequate depth for player rotations (fresh legs)

Next season the team does have to extend Dareus. So you have to take that into consideration. But I agree that this year should be the focus. There is plenty of fat on this roster that could be cut or restructured plus the cap is going to go up 10 million. I really wouldn't worry too much about next season or paying Dareus.

Next season the team does have to extend Dareus. So you have to take that into consideration. But I agree that this year should be the focus. There is plenty of fat on this roster that could be cut or restructured plus the cap is going to go up 10 million. I really wouldn't worry too much about next season or paying Dareus.

lets worry about improving this season before next. Again as many have mentioned, myself included, the CAP is due to rise $10 Mil next season. that should be plenty to make Dareus want to stay.

The Bills will have 24 FA's after the 2015 season. That's where all the cap space comes from for the 2016 season.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2016/buffalo-bills/

and of that list 5 are definitely worthy of bring back. Of the last 10 listed maybe 2 or 3

maybe this has already been answered but why do we have dead money for CJ spiller? also kyle orton?

Cj- bonus amortized into final year and year was voided

Kyle- signing bonus amortized over two years, and he retired but we still have to account for the bonus

Update this a.m. (per spotrac, of course): Bills have cap space (top 51) of 15.1M

FYI, for purposes of #ClayWatch, the Brownies have a gazillion dollars of space and the Fish have 6.2M (including the 7M tag for Clay).

Update this a.m. (per spotrac, of course): Bills have cap space (top 51) of 15.1M

FYI, for purposes of #ClayWatch, the Brownies have a gazillion dollars of space and the Fish have 6.2M (including the 7M tag for Clay).

so if they chase Clay @ $9Mil ...... the Bills have around $6Mil left to shore up the O Line and any other needs positions.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Matt Cassel
Marcel Dareus
Stephon Gilmore
Fred Jackson
Nigel Bradham
Cordy Glenn
Ritchie Incognito
Marcus Thigpen
Nickell Robey
Barcardi Rambo
MarQueis Gray
Chris Hogan
Stefan Charles
Deonte Thompson
Bryce Brown
Percer Harvin
Kenny ladler
Colton Schmidt
Corbin Bryant
all FA's in 2015. If 2015 starts out well I expect Bradham to get a contract wrapped up with the team by the end of December. He could be one of the hottest LB's in the league. Thomas Davis, Justin Houston, Von Miller, Melvin Ingram, etc etc... lots of good names, lots of impressive talent but Miller and Houston will likely stay with their teams and Davis is long in the tooth. Bradham is going to be coveted if he hits FA.

Matt Cassel
Marcel Dareus
Stephon Gilmore
Fred Jackson
Nigel Bradham
Cordy Glenn
Ritchie Incognito
Marcus Thigpen
Nickell Robey
Barcardi Rambo
MarQueis Gray
Chris Hogan
Stefan Charles
Deonte Thompson
Bryce Brown
Percer Harvin
Kenny ladler
Colton Schmidt
Corbin Bryant
all FA's in 2015. If 2015 starts out well I expect Bradham to get a contract wrapped up with the team by the end of December. He could be one of the hottest LB's in the league. Thomas Davis, Justin Houston, Von Miller, Melvin Ingram, etc etc... lots of good names, lots of impressive talent but Miller and Houston will likely stay with their teams and Davis is long in the tooth. Bradham is going to be coveted if he hits FA.

And, there's enough room to retain them all if they wish to come back. We can't force anyone to sign, but there'll be plenty of cap room and cash available to retain the studs in my opinion. The amount of cap room coming up (largely because these guys are coming off the books) is nearly twice the amount we had going into this off season -- and that doesn't include the wiggle room they'll find when they restructure some deals.

Edited by GreggyT

If a better guard gets cut or becomes a realistic trade possibility, I can guarantee they'll find a way- they have proven it this offseason. Cutting Chris Williams is an option that will give them a little space. Then, there's always Mario if they want to make another big splash. That said, I don't think the line is as bad as people think- a couple more draft picks and some 2nd year player improvement and we're off and running.

I'd assume that Harvin and Clay take up the remaining cap space. So no guard unless we unload a couple more players.

guard is still in play, if wanted -- if we sign one, williams is definitely gone and that offsets any hit.

Harvin's #'s are in, but not Clay's

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

Cap Space (w/Top 51 & Projected Draft Pool) $9,565,629

Man, just looking at a few other teams is interesting.

The Saint's just have to do something with Jahri Evans ($11 million cap hit). I'm sure the Bills could offer a helping hand here...

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/cap/

so we have money.....get another vet OL please

the $9,565,629 is BEFORE Clays $ have been tallied in.

Man, just looking at a few other teams is interesting.

The Saint's just have to do something with Jahri Evans ($11 million cap hit). I'm sure the Bills could offer a helping hand here...

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/cap/

yes, quite interesting ....

the $9,565,629 is BEFORE Clays $ have been tallied in.

Doesn't Clay's deal call for a $12m cap hit this year? Seems when his numbers are factored in, we will be in the hole about $2.5m. Might be time to ask Mario for a little relief.

GO BILLS!!!

Doesn't Clay's deal call for a $12m cap hit this year? Seems when his numbers are factored in, we will be in the hole about $2.5m. Might be time to ask Mario for a little relief.

GO BILLS!!!

BF4E keeps using the top 51 plus the rookie pool. without the rookie pool we still have wiggle room since they will all be very cheap (ie almost all being less than 51st highest paid, with our top pick probably being 2-300k more.... acounting for a 3m bump isnt needed) Edited by NoSaint

BF4E keeps using the top 51 plus the rookie pool. without the rookie pool we still have wiggle room since they will all be very cheap (ie almost all being less than 51st highest paid, with our top pick probably being 2-300k more.... acounting for a 3m bump isnt needed)

yes sir I do, Before the draft that is correct. BUT in 4 weeks time you do have to factor that in.

If I make a mistake otherwise I know you are here to correct them! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

This is actually a pretty accurate breakdown. There are a few avenues to lower the hit next year he didn't explore (i.e. signing Gilmore long term), but it does illustrate some of the issues we'll face in the near future. More importantly, it illustrates these issues are, in fact, real -- and they won't go away by pretending Pegula has some mythical accounting powers that the other 30 billionaire owners in the league don't possess.

The most glaring problem to me is that while we will be fighting to stay under the cap in the upcoming years, these figures don't allocate any future spending for anything more than a stopgap QB.