Salary Cap Thread

eball

Wanted to start a dedicated thread regarding salary cap projections and questions, since it seems bit and pieces of cap information are scattered throughout various threads. If the mods agree, perhaps pin this for easy reference?

This morning on spotrac the Bills show a projected cap space figure of 30.9M. Why does CJ Spiller cost the Bills 2.1M even if he doesn't re-sign? Is it because he didn't exercise his option and his bonus was originally pro-rated over the full length of the deal?

From this data I can compile a quick list of the players (besides the obvious ones) I think are most unlikely to be cut, despite what some have perceived as below average performance:

EJ Manuel (5.2M dead money vs. 2.4M cap savings -- a net loss of 2.8M)

Eric Wood (5.4M DM vs. 6.6M CS -- net gain of only 1.2M)

Chris Williams (2.6M DM vs. 3.25M CS -- net gain of only 0.65M)

Conversely, here are the players who provide the biggest net gain in cap $ if they are released (I'm not including the obvious high quality starters here):

McKelvin (net gain 2.9M)

Urbik (net gain 2.35M)

Chandler (net gain 2.25M)

And then there's Fred. Cap savings of 2.58M if he is released. Not suggesting or proposing they do this at all, but it's a relatively big number.

Otherwise, the Bills' cap looks to be in pretty damn good shape, and they have lots to work with.

Thoughts?

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for spiller - yea, he had a bonus that was prorated into the final year.

Otherwise, the Bills' cap looks to be in pretty damn good shape, and they have lots to work with.

Thoughts?

youd be hard pressed to find anything contrary to the bills cap situation being very team friendly. the closest thing to a knock would be that we probably could have been more aggressive previously.

I can work with $30M in cap space

so that pretty much means $25M cap space for UFA since you have to set aside $5M or so for draft pick signings

CBF

which in this years free agency means nearly unlimited spending with aggressive structures.

they could go high signing bonus and shift stuff into the next few years..... the cap is rumored to jump quite a bit next year (2016). there have been guesses upwards of $160m

Edited by NoSaint

And then there's Fred. Cap savings of 2.58M if he is released. Not suggesting or proposing they do this at all, but it's a relatively big number.

Ugh, I'd hate to cut Fred... but at his age... and the availability of a couple decent backs out there... I could see it. :(

I think that pretty much confirms my suspicion that so long as Williams is healthy Urbik is done.

Maybe I'm ignorant, but I think Urbik is better than Williams :|

which in this years free agency means nearly unlimited spending with aggressive structures.

they could go high signing bonus and shift stuff into the next few years..... the cap is rumored to jump quite a bit next year (2016). there have been guesses upwards of $160m

Would be a dangerous game to make assumptions like that though. If it doesn't you could get yourself into some real trouble quick.

I can work with $30M in cap space

so that pretty much means $25M cap space for UFA since you have to set aside $5M or so for draft pick signings

CBF

Actually if you click the link, Sportrac has already taken off the money for the 2015 draft picks, as players are pretty much slotted into their pay.

So, the Bills have $30 million after paying 2015 draft picks. By a numbers stand point some of those salaries won't even fall into the top 51, so won't count against the cap.

Would be a dangerous game to make assumptions like that though. If it doesn't you could get yourself into some real trouble quick.

me and you would be blindly guessing. nfl professionals should atleast have a decent ball park. it is going up. what the exact number is may be a little hazy, but i think 32 GMs expect it to bump.

Ugh, I'd hate to cut Fred... but at his age... and the availability of a couple decent backs out there... I could see it. :(

they just extended fred. id be surprised if they cut him already. our cap isnt pressing at all. it should be performance based, not need, if they make moves.

me and you would be blindly guessing. nfl professionals should atleast have a decent ball park. it is going up. what the exact number is may be a little hazy, but i think 32 GMs expect it to bump.

they just extended fred. id be surprised if they cut him already. our cap isnt pressing at all. it should be performance based, not need, if they make moves.

Right, I agree with that... but Fred's performance hasn't been starting caliber as of late. I love the guy, but he's old and not very productive at this point in his career.

The teams will know within a couple of million dollars I would imagine. They can definitely be aggressive. The TV deal is what it is and that is what really drives the large bump in the cap. The other revenue streams they should have a pretty good estimate based on what each team generated last year. There are no crazy new stadiums coming into play this year are there? I could see being a little hazy if Jerry World and Metlife were opening. I am sure that Levi's added a bump last year. I am not sure if Minnesota is this year or next but I don't see that impacting the cap too much.

The teams will know within a couple of million dollars I would imagine. They can definitely be aggressive. The TV deal is what it is and that is what really drives the large bump in the cap. The other revenue streams they should have a pretty good estimate based on what each team generated last year. There are no crazy new stadiums coming into play this year are there? I could see being a little hazy if Jerry World and Metlife were opening. I am sure that Levi's added a bump last year. I am not sure if Minnesota is this year or next but I don't see that impacting the cap too much.

yea - and while we arent cap experts or insiders on the tv deals, ive got to think that high $150s to $160 number isnt coming out of thin air and is based on some pretty firm deals in place. we can get pretty darn aggressive if its real and not just bloggers repeating each other.

Right, I agree with that... but Fred's performance hasn't been starting caliber as of late. I love the guy, but he's old and not very productive at this point in his career.

Most yards on the Bills in 2014. Best RB blocker. Leader on offense. Captain.

No need to cut him.

yea - and while we arent cap experts or insiders on the tv deals, ive got to think that high $150s to $160 number isnt coming out of thin air and is based on some pretty firm deals in place. we can get pretty darn aggressive if its real and not just bloggers repeating each other.

Exactly, the Bills are in a really, really good spot.

Most yards on the Bills in 2014. Best RB blocker. Leader on offense. Captain.

No need to cut him.

Agree. How much would they really save by cutting him? Plus I think the negative impact would outweigh any cap space saved.

I just can't see the Pegulas cutting Fred. Not their style.

Edited by YoloinOhio

As others have stated, it should be fairly close to what has been reported. It's not a situation like the NHL's cap where the falling Canadian dollar is a concern.

and seems completely unneeded, honestly.

Plus, nobody knows if he'd even be open to restructuring. Has it been reported anywhere that he would or wouldn't be willing? If so, I haven't seen it or I missed it.

I think most on here do. I don't hate Chris Williams though... and our running game all but disappeared the moment he went down. I think his reputation from other stops preceeded him a little in Buffalo I thought he was steady when he was in and Richardson (massively) and then Urbik (less so) were downgrades. There isn't a lot between them in all honesty - the pro for Urbik is he has a better health record the pro for Williams is the salary cap situation.

As others have stated, it should be fairly close to what has been reported. It's not a situation like the NHL's cap where the falling Canadian dollar is a concern.

Plus, nobody knows if he'd even be open to restructuring. Has it been reported anywhere that he would or wouldn't be willing? If so, I haven't seen it or I missed it.

when people say restructuring, normally they are talking putting salary into signing bonus. which every player in the league would volunteer to do. same dollars, just get them sooner. for the team it allows them to spread out the dollars over 5 years like a standard signing bonus Edited by NoSaint

If the mods agree, perhaps pin this for easy reference?

That is inconceivable.

Thoughts?

I "think" that Freddy has the potential to be a Rex favorite, not for what he can do on the field, but more in the locker room & even with the fans, but, that's a lot of scratch that can go to a more productive player.

If we restructure mario's contract I believe that can open up like 9 million as well. We could have in the 40 mil range.

Was just going to point out this possibility. I'm not sure how likely it would be, but, extend him and cut the hit in 2015.

I "think" that Freddy has the potential to be a Rex favorite, not for what he can do on the field, but more in the locker room & even with the fans, but, that's a lot of scratch that can go to a more productive player.

Yeah, Freddy is the tough one...he really looked like he was running in quicksand last year, but he's such a damn good guy and does so many of the little things well. He still always makes the first guy miss, blocks like a LT, and is dependable as hell.

I don't see him being released, but they need to get another high quality RB in that stable.

Agree. How much would they really save by cutting him? Plus I think the negative impact would outweigh any cap space saved.

I just can't see the Pegulas cutting Fred. Not their style.

What is their style? They went out on a limb in signing Richie. Are the reckless owners? (I don't think that they are, but, as I mentioned above $2+M is a lot of scratch.)

Fast Fred stays as does EJ Manuel

Try go sign Hughes at a high but moderate price.

Average of $9.6/year? Someone should start a contest (Hammer?) seeing who comes closest to what he ultimately signs for.

That is inconceivable.

That's basically how I feel... he's a captain of the team, great guy, does a lot of things well... but he's not much of a runner anymore (or at least wasn't last season), even if he did gain the most yards, his ypc was pretty poor, and frankly the eye test didn't show burst very often. In the perfect world, we'd keep him as our second back, and either Brown goes to 1st string, or we find someone cheap to be productive.

But I could definitely see the Bills cut Fred, have Brown as #1 or #2, and either signing a FA, or drafting a guy to go along with Dixon in completing the unit. Saved money could be used to shore up the line, throw towards the defense, go after a TE, etc. It really depends on how close we get to the cap looking to improve the team elsewhere. I'd hope, that if he is cut, Fred would be a last ditch cap casualty, unlike say, Rivers (who sucks, and is already cut).

Edited by Dorkington

We will not cut McKelvin. We have seen time and time again that CB depth is of paramount importance. He has turned a corner thanks to Donnie and is still relatively inexpensive. We have 3 starting caliber boundary corners and a very capable nickel in Nickell. I don't buy this talk of pursuing Revis.

Urbik was a good RG and seemed to regress under Marrone. Or he is just not as good on the left side?

NFL notified teams today that it expects this year's salary cap to be between $140 and $143 million, at least $1.5M higher than projected.

Edited by Beerball
I apologize, but, I had to remove Shefter's mug, it would cause nightmares.

Check the link in the OP. 30.9M.

I said I saw. Never claimed it fact ;) I can't seem to find the link I saw last week.

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/sports/nfl-projected-salary-cap-space-for-every-team-in-the-afc.html/?a=viewall

Total Salary Cap Space: $29.69 million

funny

All salary cap data courtesy of Spotrac.

decent read

http://www.ibtimes.com/buffalo-bills-2015-free-agency-draft-options-should-address-lb-rb-issues-1819260

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Depends

unless they plan on doling out like $150m cash this offseason (and that would be double that in contract value), it does not really depend on much. they could just as easily structure the new signings to be bonus heavy instead of converting marios salary to bonus.

until we are right up to the cap, theres really no incentive unless they extend him or cut his pay. and we have enough space that we would be hard pressed to get to that point. for perspective, marios year 1 cap hit was 10m and that was a 100m player. we have space to sign like 3 of those right now, if we want.

Edited by NoSaint

Yeah, Freddy is the tough one...he really looked like he was running in quicksand last year, but he's such a damn good guy and does so many of the little things well. He still always makes the first guy miss, blocks like a LT, and is dependable as hell.

I don't see him being released, but they need to get another high quality RB in that stable.

Remember the Stiff Arm? There is not an ounce of quit in that man. He is the best RB on the team right now. Fred Ex still delivers.

Remember the Stiff Arm? There is not an ounce of quit in that man. He is the best RB on the team right now. Fred Ex still delivers.

agreed. He is a little slower, yes, which is to be expected. But I think the groin injury he suffered took it's toll on him down the stretch as well.

What is their style? They went out on a limb in signing Richie. Are the reckless owners? (I don't think that they are, but, as I mentioned above $2+M is a lot of scratch.)

Average of $9.6/year? Someone should start a contest (Hammer?) seeing who comes closest to what he ultimately signs for.

that's a lot of cookies.

Mario's making what $12 Mil base plus bonus' = ~16Mil average? per sportrac

the Cheatriots = $-5,051,552 :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

can this be true???

Saints = $-23,174,869

Team Roster# Toatal Cap Top 51 Cap Space

Jacksonville Jaguars 70 $102,998,553 $60,769,652

Oakland Raiders 63 $ 99,868,676 $49,531,324 3

Cleveland Browns 65 $112,187,415 $48,720,870

New York Jets 59 $106,038,749 $48,580,645 5

Tennessee Titans 60 $111,796,824 $41,458,004

Indianapolis Colts 61 $111,861,131 $37,838,736