Who will the Bills bring in at QB?

YoloinOhio

Bills QB in 2015  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB will the Bills bring to Buffalo?

• Jay Cutler, Bears
    • Sam Bradford, Rams
    • RG3, Redskins
    • Peyton Manning, Broncos
    • Mark Sanchez, FA (Eagles)
    • Nick Foles, Eagles
    • Matt Moore, FA (Fish)
    • Tom Brady, Pats*
    • Colin Kaepernick, 49ers
    • Brian Hoyer, FA (Browns)
    • Other vet
    • Rookie
    • Eli Manning, NY OBJs

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This offense isn't going to be pass-heavy, so we don't need a Manning, Cutler, or Bradford.

I disagree with this. We most likely will not be pass heavy, however a QB who can throw, run, manage the team and protect the ball is what is needed. Whoever it is.

I have a pipe dream about Rivers.

Edited by moreproblemsthanOrton

Rex Ryan seemed very non-committal to EJ in his press conference today. It feels like there is a plan in motion to bring a new QB to Buffalo. Who do you think it will be?

First off good poll...Second off, this "Rex was non committal" about the QB position in the press conference is getting SOOOOOOOO over blown its ridiculous. What does anyone expect a brand new HC, his 2nd day on the job, is going to say about the position in which only the former backup QB remains who is a young and unproven commodity?

1. Whaley has said publicly that we WILL bring in competition and that they still believe in EJ.

2. Case closed, what else is there to say? Seriously?

3. Rex has not had a chance to spend any time with EJ, evaluate the QB's in the draft (as we don't even know them all yet), evaluate available FA QB's, evaluate any available by trade and what they will cost, etc etc. How can ANYONE be committal about this or any position right now? Players earn their spot and he hasn't had a chance to work with anyone yet.

So, that being said, its a good poll because we KNOW at least 1 QB will be added to compete. But this stuff about how non committal Rex was all over the shout box and threads is stupid. Of course he is, he doesn't even know who the back up QB will be because we only have ONE QB right now and a PS QB in Tuel. I love how people want to make a big deal about him being no committal over a position he doesn't even know who the players will be yet as we don't have enough on the roster yet.

My answer to the poll though is either Matt Moore or Bradford.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Rex Ryan seemed very non-committal to EJ in his press conference today. It feels like there is a plan in motion to bring a new QB to Buffalo. Who do you think it will be?

I think it is impossible for any of us to have a clue as to what they will do in terms what new specific QB will be brought in.

HOWEVER....I think it is very obvious EJ ain't gonna be the guy, which makes me happy.

This offense isn't going to be pass-heavy, so we don't need a Manning, Cutler, or Bradford.

Great. The top teams in the NFL are rather pass-heavy, aren't they?

Who watched NE vs. Baltimore? This league is entirely about who can out-gun and out-score the other guy with a really strong passing attack and lots of points.

"Ground and Pound" is backward, and Rex just said this is his plan. I'm not 100% sure that's a great idea.

He seemed to ground this thinking in bad weather/snow in Buffalo. I think that is bad thinking.

I took it not so much that he was non committal to EJ (though he was), but more that he knew a move at the position was already in the works. Like he, Doug, Terry, Kim and Russ already had their guy picked out and the wheels were in motion. I say that because it looked more to me like Rex was trying not to let the cat out of the bag more than being non committal to EJ.

Of course, that's pure speculation based on the rumors from Leroi and his general attitude during those questions.

You know, stopthepain, I'm really not sure that EJ ain't gonna be the guy. Or at least the Bills might try again to see if he can be the guy. I think he's had lousy coaching and played behind a lousy O line, and had a couple of knee injuries his rookie year which may have affected his thinking. What can a good coach do to help him? Probably a lot. I am not an EJ lover or convinced he's the guy, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills give him another big chance.

Of course there will be at least one additional QB brought in. Even if EJ wins the starting job, Tuel is not the answer as the backup.

I think it is impossible for any of us to have a clue as to what they will do in terms what new specific QB will be brought in.

HOWEVER....I think it is very obvious EJ ain't gonna be the guy, which makes me happy.

Who watched NE vs. Baltimore? This league is entirely about who can out-gun and out-score the other guy with a really strong passing attack and lots of points.

"Ground and Pound" is backward, and Rex just said this is his plan. I'm not 100% sure that's a great idea.

He seemed to ground this thinking in bad weather/snow in Buffalo. I think that is bad thinking.

I like ground and pound with this D until we find our QB answer...don't think he is on the roster, and don't think he is on that list...starting to think it will be a while before we see a Kelly or Fergy again for that matter...

I see it a little differently. The Pats* likely passed most of that game because the Ravens were very thin in the secondary. It was the right game plan. When they played the Colts earlier in the season they ran the ball 38 times to 25 passes and went completely ground and pound to attack the Colts poor run D. "Ground and pound" IMO means you show the other team you can and will run the ball and that will open up the passing game. Not every team has the QB to come in and throw with immediate success regardless of whether they have shown they can run.

Brian Hoyer is my choice...he has starting experience and still hasn't reached his ceiling, IMO.

I really feel that he would fit a power running playaction type of offense that Greg Roman will employ. Of course, he isn't great but he will hit the TE in the seam and get the ball to the WR for the 50-50 balls.

I do believe that they will also draft a QB in rd 5...I like Mannion (Oregon St).

I took it not so much that he was non committal to EJ (though he was), but more that he knew a move at the position was already in the works. Like he, Doug, Terry, Kim and Russ already had their guy picked out and the wheels were in motion. I say that because it looked more to me like Rex was trying not to let the cat out of the bag more than being non committal to EJ.

Of course, that's pure speculation based on the rumors from Leroi and his general attitude during those questions.

Yes and I am dying to know who it is!

Brian Hoyer is my choice...he has starting experience and still hasn't reached his ceiling, IMO.

I really feel that he would fit a power running playaction type of offense that Greg Roman will employ. Of course, he isn't great but he will hit the TE in the seam and get the ball to the WR for the 50-50 balls.

I do believe that they will also draft a QB in rd 5...I like Mannion (Oregon St).

I wish I shared this optimism but I think we already saw his ceiling. He's a good guy though and I hope he does well outside of Cleveland, it is not good for him to stay there.

Nice poll YOLO, I've been waiting for this. It sounds to me like they have their targets. If they want to run a ball control offense I would think that Cutler & Sanchez would be pretty low on the list. Maybe it is Foles, Bradford or Kaepernick? I don't see Kaep being available but could be wrong. It kind of sounds like an Alex Smith type would be his dream scenario. Clearly, they have a plan that has been discussed.

Edit: Can we add Eli to the poll? I don't think that he is the most likely but I could see the Giants entering a rebuilding phase.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Nice poll YOLO, I've been waiting for this. It sounds to me like they have their targets. If they want to run a ball control offense I would think that Cutler & Sanchez would be pretty low on the list. Maybe it is Foles, Bradford or Kaepernick? I don't see Kaep being available but could be wrong. It kind of sounds like an Alex Smith type would be his dream scenario. Clearly, they have a plan that has been discussed. I would think that the QB is one of the guys on your list.

Bradford. He's still the guy I'm hoping for depending on the deal.

I wouldn't expect anything to happen until after the draft. The Rams, Bears, Redskins, Broncos, ect. all are going to wait to see what shakes out in the first two rounds of the draft in terms of QBs.

If one of these teams picks a QB in the first or second round then there's an opening for the Bills to trade for one of these starting QBs. If they don't, then they are for sure staying put with what they have.

So it's probably going to be a long wait to see who the Bills bring in to compete with Manuel.

That's the headline we always read but Seattle has the best D, a ground and pound offense, and they're the champs.

I wouldn't expect anything to happen until after the draft. The Rams, Bears, Redskins, Broncos, ect. all are going to wait to see what shakes out in the first two rounds of the draft in terms of QBs.

If one of these teams picks a QB in the first or second round then there's an opening for the Bills to trade for one of these starting QBs. If they don't, then they are for sure staying put with what they have.

So it's probably going to be a long wait to see who the Bills bring in to compete with Manuel.

I'm thinking the opposite. These teams have a sense for whether or not they want those guys quarterbacking their teams next year. They may try to restructure before deciding to trade them. If they are going to trade them they will want compensation in this draft for them.

Everything is cyclical in the NFL. When teams have success running the football, everyone tries to do it. When teams get pass happy everyone tries to do that as well. The difference between success and failure is in planning and execution.

Possibly Matt Moore. He has had sporadic success. Would have to see a bit more of him to be convinced though.

I thought something was up with the QB situation when after Rex's first interview it was reported that he wasn't sold on the QB's here then after the second interview it didn't seem to be an issue. I think that they promised him they would bring someone in. My guess would be Bradford or Hoyer.

That was all speculation as far as I know. As for bringing someone in, Whaley said during the end of year press conference they intended to bring at least one but probably two QBs. Nothing has changed, and they said as much today.

voted rookie because i really hope we won´t waste a pick on the given options.

may throw in a 7th on glennon though, but only for competition.

still believe that throwing around 25 passes in a run heavy offense will be what ej does best

There have been rumors that Chip isn't all in on him and would trade him

I'm not sold on Mariotta being the sure thing "top 2 pick" everyone has him billed as. I think teams have major concerns and it would not be a surprise if he followed the path of other "sure top 2 picks" like Johnny Football and Brady Quinn with a bit of a wait in the green room, after which Chip comes up to get him.

I still think Rivers may be more available than people realize given his age and contract situation (FA after next year). I'm not saying we have the amo to get it done, but it wouldn't shock me if San Diego decided to take some draft picks instead of giving Rivers a $100+ mil deal he starts at age 34-35.

Agreed. Now can we get the EJ video removed from the two bills drive page? I'm tired of looking at it every day. Watkins was a bigger splash and has more potential. Edited by Nihilist25

I've tried some mock drafts already. Hamstrung by whether to look at 3-4 or 4-3, despite what Rex said today, I need to know to feed the computer the best info for our team.
Two mocks I like:
RD2-50
">Maxx Williams TE Minnesota http://youtu.be/AmZp3lwjilo
RD3-81 Jake Fisher LOT Oregon
RD5-129 (Mannion or Grayson QB here)
2 50 Landon Turner OG North Carolina
3 81 Duke Johnson RBF Miami (FL) or Mike Davis RBF South Carolina
4 110 Corey Robinson OT South Carolina
5 129 Bryce Petty QB Baylor or Garrett Grayson QB Colorado State
5 153 Jeff Heuerman TE Ohio St
6 178 Josh Tupou DT34 Colorado
7 210 Josh Shaw CB USC
2 50 Buffalo Duke Johnson RBF Miami (FL)
3 81 Buffalo Jake Fisher OT Oregon
4 110 Buffalo Shane Carden QB East Carolina
5 129 Buffalo Jeff Heuerman TE Ohio St
5 147 Buffalo Jordan Rigsbee OG California
6 178 Buffalo Josh Tupou DT34 Colorado
7 210 Buffalo Jalston Fowler FB Alabama
--Go Bills!
Dean Kindig, DraftTek Bills Analyst
Edited by Astrobot

I have a mock draft to show you. Click on names to watch video. Interested in your comments.

I assume we're going after a vet QB, so factor that in. It's looking more and more that Petty won't be there at #129, it's more like a Gunner Kiel from Cincinnati or Garrett Grayson, Golson, etc.--Grayson's the cream of that bunch. List here .

RD2-50 Maxx Williams TE Minnesota

2 Value RD3-81 Jake Fisher LOT Oregon P2 -9 Reach RD5-129 Bryce Petty QB Baylor P2 -3 Reach RD5-147 Chucky Hunter DT43 TCU P3O 26 Value RD6-178 Robert Myers ROT Tennessee State P2 -31 Reach RD7-210 Sedrick Flowers OG Texas P2 -27 Reach

Go Bills!

Dean Kindig, DraftTek Bills Analyst

gunnar Keil has a huge arm fwiw

Love Maxx Williams!