Mehta: Fickle Falcons led Rex Ryan to take Bills job

YoloinOhio

Kelly, it's clear they didn't want him in ATL. They weren't calling with a second interview--Ryan himself knew and said this. He said, "if they ain't gonna call, I'm gonna go for it".

If Rex thought they were going to ask him back, he would have called them like he did the Niners, before flying to Fla.

He said that Thursday.

Yes, if he was their unanimous choice and they didnt want to have a shot at Quinn or Gase or McDaniels or have a second interview, then they could have had him. But that doesn't mean he wouldn't have been hired eventually. They havent had a second interview with anyone. If they hadn't screwed with him a little before, he wouldn't have jumped at the Bills offer.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. Lets also not forget that Rex was "FIRED" whereas Marrone wsa not, yet who's been more coveted? Rex. Speaks volumes.

Rex Ryan had the most opportunities but was not going to wait around and look bad.Marrone will be lucky to ever get another HC job (see Greg Williams) owners do not like to be slapped around, Terry will advise other guys looking for coaches on how this guy operates.

I think the Falcons want McDaniels to continue their Patriots South building.

No they already announced they will be hiring someone from defensive side of the ball, that is why there was interest in Ryan.

The only thing I wasn't crazy about reading is that Buffalo wasn't his first, or even second choice. He felt like ATL and SF weren't seriously interested so he settled on the only firm offer he had on the table with Buffalo. If either of those teams call him back Rex wouldn't have signed with us.

He said that Thursday.

Yes, if he was their unanimous choice and they didnt want to have a shot at Quinn or Gase or McDaniels or have a second interview, then they could have had him. But that doesn't mean he wouldn't have been hired eventually. They havent had a second interview with anyone. If they hadn't screwed with him a little before, he wouldn't have jumped at the Bills offer.

Friends had advised Ryan to keep a level head and not make any rash decisions on Saturday. Wait 24 hours. Give the Falcons one final chance.

"If they ain't gonna call," Ryan told friends, "I'm going to go for it."

Kelly, it's clear they didn't want him in ATL. They weren't calling with a second interview--Ryan himself knew and said this. He said, "if they ain't gonna call, I'm gonna go for it".

If Rex thought they were going to ask him back, he would have called them like he did the Niners, before flying to Fla.

Sometimes things happen or dont happen for the best......

The fact is the guy can flat out coach

The only thing I wasn't crazy about reading is that Buffalo wasn't his first, or even second choice. He felt like ATL and SF weren't seriously interested so he settled on the only firm offer he had on the table with Buffalo. If either of those teams call him back Rex wouldn't have signed with us.

He also said he knows there likely isn't a 3rd chance if things go poorly here and is comfortable hitching his star to us. He's the Pegula's first choice and they got him, that's all I care about.

But that's how life is for everyone. Rarely do you get your 1st choice in anything and things work out for the best regardless as long as you bust your ass.

Friends had advised Ryan to keep a level head and not make any rash decisions on Saturday. Wait 24 hours. Give the Falcons one final chance.

"If they ain't gonna call," Ryan told friends, "I'm going to go for it."

The Bills interview was Thursday. He wanted the Falcons to ask him back for the second interview, and he wouldn't have gone to the Bills first interview. But they didn't and that is when he started to feel like he wasn't wanted by Dimitroff. But that was the day after Blank's other passed, so they werent likely to do anything for a few days. So he interviewed with the Bills.

Blank's personal circumstances struck a chord with Ryan, who reached out to the owner's assistant, Dimitroff and Pioli Wednesday night to offer condolences after Molly Blank died.

Ryan would have cancelled his trip to Buffalo Thursday morning if the Falcons committed to bringing him back for a second sit-down, according to sources, but there was hesitation on the team's part.

Whispers about strong interest in Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, who had a history with former Bill Belichick disciples Dimitroff and Pioli, irked him. (Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles impressed the Falcons brass in a five-hour session Saturday).

Isn't this how everything works. I am sure I would wait and get a job in Google. But if that offer doesn't come, I am not sitting and staying unemployed.

Hey, Matt Ryan or EJ? Where would you go? If Rex didn't think he could win here he wouldn't have come here. And sometimes your first choice isn't your best choice. I can't wait to see how this plays out!

It has been a real joy reading mehta's pieces over the past few weeks on both rex and Marrone.

Indeed.

I also greatly enjoyed his work conducting the three tenors at the Baths of Caracalla on the eve of the World Cup final in Italy, 1990.

Oh wait, that was Zubin Mehta.

Nevermind.

I said this in the other post. If the Falcons wanted him, they would have had him back. He knew they didn't want him so he went with his only option.

Nothing wrong with that.

He was the first coach hired. For you to say the Bills were his only option is completely ridiculous and speculative. You have no idea what his options were.

What were they? He called the Niners and didn't hear back from the Falcons. That left the Bills.

Ryan's order is easily explained:

Best QB situation: Atlanta

2nd best: SF

Worst: Buffalo

Best place of the three to live: SF - and by a very, very wide margin. SF is incredible, especially if you have money.

I don't give Atlanta the nod over Buffalo as a better place to live, though. Personally I much prefer Buffalo, but Atlanta is obviously bigger.

Not too difficult to see why Rex would order his choices as he did. No hard feelings here.

The Bills may be the fickle ones. On the face of it this doesn't make sense. I don't think he's really head coach material. He's not enough of a control freak. He really doesn't care about the offense. That's not good. The HC has to have his hands in everything. That's why Marrone gets credit for the mass improvement in the D. I'll support him because I'm a Bills fan. To me this seems like a serious downgrade. Don't worry about Marrone. Why do you think the knowledgable football world sings his praises. Weird but here we go.

The Bills may be the fickle ones. On the face of it this doesn't make sense. I don't think he's really head coach material. He's not enough of a control freak. He really doesn't care about the offense. That's not good. The HC has to have his hands in everything. That's why Marrone gets credit for the mass improvement in the D. I'll support him because I'm a Bills fan. To me this seems like a serious downgrade. Don't worry about Marrone. Why do you think the knowledgable football world sings his praises. Weird but here we go.

Ok doug

The Rex Ryan to Atlanta was all from the Rex Ryan camp because if they actually wanted to hire him he would have already been hired by them. It was Ryan who was super pissed he lost out on the Falcons job in 2009.

The GM Thomas Dimitroff, and Scott Pioli both are pushing hard for, and want Patriots OC Josh McDaniel's as the Falcons next head coach. So I highly doubt anyone is hired in Atlanta before they get a chance to interview McDaniel's.

As for Ryan, his last team just finished 4-12 and he would have to be a complete idiot not to take 5.5 mill for 5 years to coach the Buffalo Bills.

Marrone didn't care about the offense either. Their regression speaks to that.

are you for real man? The trolling is now epic.