Mehta: Fickle Falcons led Rex Ryan to take Bills job

YoloinOhio

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm incredibly nervous, and get even more scared every time someone tells me not to be nervous. Boss scheduled a 2-hour meeting. He lives in Chicago and doesn't get it. But should take my mind off of the game hopefully for a little while!

Here's another YOLO!! I started watching them at 5:00 this morning:

Bottom line, Pegula, Whaley, and Brandon got the guy they wanted. For better or for worse remains to be seen, but Rex is VERY familiar with the AFCE on day 1. Other teams are waiting for the end of the season to go after some of the better assistants for their HC I'm sure, and the Bills used that to their advantage to get Rex.

I'm puzzled by the Bills going with a defensive minded HC given the current state of the team and the fact that they have a strong DC already in Schwartz, but I defer to the experience of the Bills FO and assume they know what they are doing.

My one hope is that this is not a knee jerk reaction forced by Pegula to get a big name fast and that Whaley at the very least truly thinks hiring Rex is the right football move.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Bottom line, Pegula, Whaley, and Brandon got the guy they wanted. For better or for worse remains to be seen, but Rex is VERY familiar with the AFCE on day 1. Other teams are waiting for the end of the season to go after some of the better assistants for their HC I'm sure, and the Bills used that to their advantage to get Rex.

I'm puzzled by the Bills going with a defensive minded HC given the current state of the team and the fact that they have a strong DC already in Schwartz, but I defer to the experience of the Bills FO and assume they know what they are doing.

My one hope is that this is not a knee jerk reaction forced by Pegula to get a big name fast and that Whaley at the very least truly thinks hiring Rex is the right football move.

I can't characterize this as knee-jerk when they interviewed 12 guys. Clearly they zeroed in on Rex and got it done. It appears Whaley has emerged unscathed and remains in charge of the 53-man roster. If Rex brings in Roman at OC and Callahan to coach the OL along with his QB coach Lee, I have far less concern about the offense going forward.

I can't characterize this as knee-jerk when they interviewed 12 guys. Clearly they zeroed in on Rex and got it done. It appears Whaley has emerged unscathed and remains in charge of the 53-man roster. If Rex brings in Roman at OC and Callahan to coach the OL along with his QB coach Lee, I have far less concern about the offense going forward.

It's possible Rex is the "czar" TP supposedly wanted. We don't know yet but the rumours are Rex will have say in personnel. That puts DW below him on the food chain somewhat. Edited by PromoTheRobot

Agreed. But they also did not wait until the SB was over (or apparently even this weekends games) when the other coordinators were available either. Like I said, If Whaley is 100% on board that this is the correct football move and not just a PR one then there was no need to wait. I also understand that we will never know one way or the other. I am no expert, but I am lukewarm on the hire myself. But at least I'm not scratching my head saying "WTF?" like I was after the Gailey hire :)

It's possible Rex is the "czar" TP supposedly wanted. We don't know yet but the rumours are Rex will have say in personnel. That puts DW below him on the food chain somewhat.

It was reported Rex will have the same personnel control as Marrone. Gameday 46.

Howard WGR @hsimon62 4h4 hours ago

we are told #Bills GM Doug Whaley is safe. He remains in charge of the 53 man roster. Ryan in charge of coaching staff and gameday roster

Edited by YoloinOhio

CountDorkula: Can I ask why? I live in ATL now and love it.

Fair question. I deleted my first two answers because I was dancing and I didn't want to open a can of worms here. I have not spent time in Atlanta recently (other than to change planes) so things may have changed, but it was the whole racial atmosphere when I was there that was unsettling to me. I'm a white, socially liberal male who was raised in the Midwest and I was surprised that a large city - even in the South - still had the general attitude and divide that I saw at the time. Again, I didn't see all of the city and it was a long time ago that I had to make visits there for work, but it made a bad impression on me. I'll just leave it at that.

It was reported Rex will have the same personnel control as Marrone. Gameday 46.

Howard WGR @hsimon62 4h4 hours ago

we are told #Bills GM Doug Whaley is safe. He remains in charge of the 53 man roster. Ryan in charge of coaching staff and gameday roster

I'm less concerned about who is in charge of what than I am about everyone being aligned with the same system, philosophy, and approach to acquiring and identifying the necessary players to build the team and play a system everybody supports with their actions.

There's a time for debate but once a course of action is set everybody has to get behind it. With Marrone it sounded like he refused to accept that time had passed and he was always rowing against the other guys in the boat.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

Reading a Falcons message board makes me even more happy about this hire. Spin it however you like but the folks in Atlanta are very PO'd and disappointed that their front office and owner failed to land Rex as head coach.

People will try to say this is a bad hire for the Bills but other teams and fans wanted him badly. This is a huge "get" for Pegula and the Bills.

Reading a Falcons message board makes me even more happy about this hire. Spin it however you like but the folks in Atlanta are very PO'd and disappointed that their front office and owner failed to land Rex as head coach.

People will try to say this is a bad hire for the Bills but other teams and fans wanted him badly. This is a huge "get" for Pegula and the Bills.

Which msg board?

Link?

CBF

In my opinion, Rex was a better fit in Atl due to the fact that the defense is the bigger mess there. I suspect that's also why Atl fans are disappointed.

In my opinion, Rex was a better fit in Atl due to the fact that the defense is the bigger mess there. I suspect that's also why Atl fans are disappointed.

their defense is a mess because they have no players. They can hire any HC and a decent DC and if they can draft well and hit on some FAs their defense will get better regardless. They just have very little talent on that side.

Which msg board?

Link?

CBF

There was an 18 page thread on the Mehta article but when i tried to get back in and link the thread it says "page not found". How weird. It had some harsh words and inflammatory responses to i guess maybe the mods took it down. Anyway, here's another thread of many about Rex on that board.

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/4021244-bills-moving-in-on-rex-ryan-falcons-dragging-their-feet/

There was an 18 page thread on the Mehta article but when i tried to get back in and link the thread it says "page not found". How weird. It had some harsh words and inflammatory responses to i guess maybe the mods took it down. Anyway, here's another thread of many about Rex on that board.

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/4021244-bills-moving-in-on-rex-ryan-falcons-dragging-their-feet/

My favorite line ... "Does anyone really believe he'll take the job? He'll go to CBS before he goes to Buffalo." :)

My second favorite line ... "Man, F'ck Rex. He didn't want to come here. All he wanted to do was stay in his comfort zone. He didn't want to leave the AFC North." :)

Man does that thread remind me of here. Some posters pissing all over the falcons front office and other posts like "Some of you hating on AB don't even deserve to have a team to root for."

Edited by CodeMonkey

On the personal side, thought it was interesting apparently Atl was top on his wife's list due to proximity to Clemson where their son plays. Also I read they have a house in Tenn. Can't help but think with the circumstances of getting the Atl job seemingly so close, then gone, that at least initially Mrs. Ryan is more than a bit disappointed to be packing up for Buffalo now.

Edited by stevewin

They were the only one offering, it seems. He could've waited for an offer that may or may not come. Framed another way- he was the first coach ready to put pen on paper and it doesn't sound like anyone else stepped up.

I don't say that as a knock on quality or anything but simply that I think Weo is right in this case

Purely speculative

Purely speculative

As always since we were not present for the meetings. But since it happened before a lot of candidates were available it does seem logical. Doesn't mean it's a bad hire, could actually mean the Bills were smart and got the man they wanted before anyone else made a move.