Did Marrone/Whaley rift start with Sammy Watkins selection?

NoSaint

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really do not care about what Marrone thought or thinks about the trade for Watkins, but I do agree with many that it was ill-advised. Many commentators and so-called experts thought the same, and in this case I think they were right. Good thing for Whaley that I am not in charge, because I will never get over this decision and I would have replaced him during this off-season.

Is it that hard to believe Marrone thought the price was too high? I do.

Could be he also had a pretty good idea about the QB situation and wanted the 2015 #1 to try and deal with that.

I don't know any more than you. But it seems a lot more plausible than silly "damage control" spin.

I very seriously doubt Marrone cares much about what the Bills fans think about the situation.

Marrone thought Jeff Tuel was good. End of story.

I really do not care about what Marrone thought or thinks about the trade for Watkins, but I do agree with many that it was ill-advised. Many commentators and so-called experts thought the same, and in this case I think they were right. Good thing for Whaley that I am not in charge, because I will never get over this decision and I would have replaced him during this off-season.

Keep up hope, maybe he will be replaced by the coach he hires, or better Pegula after being on the road with him. And questioning some of his recent decisions.

This is BS. I clearly remember the interviews with Sammy after the draft. They would ask him if he had any idea that the bills would go up and get him. His response was that he had an idea after a pre draft meeting with Marrone. Sammy said Marrone had a big grin like he knew something and kept asking him if he wanted to be a bill.

Clearly just spin and damage control

This interview was about Russ Brandon, not Marrone. I remember because I thought it was totally !@#$ed that Brandon was so involved in the draft process. The Watkins trade has so many Brandon fingerprints on it.

Maybe Marrone (or whomever) wanted Bridgewater or Carr, both of whom had excellent seasons on **** teams. Teams worse than ours.

Bridgewater's last 9 games were very good.

Think about it, we could have finagled a trade down that would have netted us Bridgewater or Carr and Benjamin or Beckum given what we did.

The problem with this place is that everyone gets angry emotionally and blames the people that have left instead of the people that remain. The shittiest part of this team, its biggest problems, are still firmly in place.

Didn't you post extensively how Sammy would be a bust? Couldn't run routes, never caught balls past the line of scrimmage at Clemson, etc? Again, just trying to figure out how much to value your thoughts going forward.

You heard it hear first:

I'm convinced. Marrone HATED the Watkins trade.

Do we have any recollection of Marrone commenting on the trade itself? Was he ever asked by the media? He's the head freaking coach. I don't recall him ever being asked how he felt about it. Did he feel Russ/Whaley didn't take or value his opinion on it? His future here was staked to the trade also. I've looked for comments from Marrone and found nothing.

Willing to bet this is where it all went downhill.

It's the only thing that makes sense to me. As far as where it went bad. And maybe Whaley didn't like how he was using him either.

Marrone played him through those preseason games as if he was a mid tier rookie fighting for a job. He made some comment (or Hackett did) about not wanting to 'feature' one guy in the offense. It was bizarre at the time....like maybe it was the answer they kept giving Whaley on how they were using him.

You heard it hear first:

If that's true. And it's possible he hated the trade. His reaction to it and subsequent actions related to it are criminal. The most unprofessional thing he could have done. A disgrace to his 52 other players and something he should never get a job again for.

So must Whaley, since they're bringing him back next season.

We don't know that. And Whaley has said we're bringing in two quarterbacks. I took that as a reference to getting a new #3.

I think it is probably more that he didn't want to give up the 1st than that he didn't want Sammy. The Browns later said that they were only going to trade the pick if they got a 2015 1st, and other teams were calling them right before the pick. It's possible that DM thought they were giving up less but DW pulled the trigger on the 1st and that's what caused the tantrum.

This.

It makes sense based on Polian's "advice" to the Pegulas of making sure your HC is on the same page as management in terms of personnel decisions. Maybe he was speaking "for Doug" as it seemed like Polian turned down the job after speaking to Marrone. So perhaps Marrone spilled more than just the jabs that some Bills officials said about Polian when the two of them spoke.

Edited by The Jokeman

the "rift" started the moment Russ Brandon empowered his new head coach with a sweetheart deal contract that gave the coach $4 mil to leave if there was an ownership change (a very likely scenario) and $8 mil if fired.

"go ahead and fire me".

marrone never had a motivation to play nice.

now he's a rat on top of that, telling Polian unnamed bills brass (likely jeff littman) bad mouthed polian to the pegula's.

don't be surprised if russ Brandon and doug whaley have golden parachutes if they are abruptly let go.

I find this hard to believe since this is the first we've heard of it. No way this stays quiet all this time.

More agent spin after some of the negative stuff coming out about Marrone.

Edited by Max997

The only shot of Marrone seems early in the video, and he is moping around. Maybe there is some truth to this:

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Bills-Focus-Inside-Buffalos-Draft-Room/b37321a3-5a95-4c80-b662-46ed9aa57696

Good catch, I was looking for the video to pull it back up. :beer:

He wasn't there as I thought -- but he was there during the calls to Houston and Jax, meaning he knew they were dealing. I still don't buy that he stormed out, if he truly did then he's worse than any diva I've ever met.

He knew what the parameters of the trade were. The Bills were calling every team from the top of the draft down. He knew it was two number ones.

Exactly, which is why I doubt he was so upset by the deal. He knew for days before the draft that they were going to try to move up and had days to protest/overreact. The fact that he waited until it was a done deal (when the most press/cameras/outside eyes were on him) then that's another dick move to add to a long list.

It makes sense based on Polian's "advice" to the Pegula of making sure your HC is on the same page as management as the HC in terms of personnel decisions.

If you look back at the comments after the hire and then look at the signings/draft vs the product on the field last year -- I see whaleys vision clearly from day 1 and in most moves but I think marrone has been all over the place. I think that's why whaley had to win this battle. The roster is the strength and he showed clear vision building it while there's confusion in the managing and developing of talent/scheme

the "rift" started the moment Russ Brandon empowered his new head coach with a sweetheart deal contract that gave the coach $4 mil to leave if there was an ownership change (a very likely scenario) and $8 mil if fired.

"go ahead and fire me".

marrone never had a motivation to play nice.

now he's a rat on top of that, telling Polian unnamed bills brass (likely jeff littman) bad mouthed polian to the pegula's.

don't be surprised if russ Brandon and doug whaley have golden parachutes if they are abruptly let go.

Should have been schit canned once he said "go ahead and fire me".

The more I reflect on this entire fiasco, Brandon should be out the door to. All of this was allowed to go on under his watch and it was never addressed. I am assuming this is one reason why Pegs wants a czar, the remove the trash from OBD ASAP...

Poor baby. Whaley was trying to help Marrone fix his woeful offense and that's the thanks he gets?

Marrone for all his faults knew EJ wasn't the answer and he knew that one WR wasn't going to fix anything. Heck many of us knew it and didn't agree with the trade up, not with two other very talented WR's and a talented TE that was going to be available.

There is no way around this, Whaleys trade was a Bad one for the franchise unless somehow we can secure the QB position this offseason. I think its going to take a trade for a QB to get it done

Marrone for all his faults knew EJ wasn't the answer and he knew that one WR wasn't going to fix anything. Heck many of us knew it and didn't agree with the trade up, not with two other very talented WR's and a talented TE that was going to be available.

There is no way around this, Whaleys trade was a Bad one for the franchise unless somehow we can secure the QB position this offseason. I think its going to take a trade for a QB to get it done

You really need some new material. You're slipping, man.

If you look back at the comments after the hire and then look at the signings/draft vs the product on the field last year -- I see whaleys vision clearly from day 1 and in most moves but I think marrone has been all over the place. I think that's why whaley had to win this battle. The roster is the strength and he showed clear vision building it while there's confusion in the managing and developing of talent/scheme

Yup.

Marrone had changed what kind of coach and philosophies he had had at least a couple times. First it was high tempo innovative offense. Then it was a run first slowed down offense. It explains an awful lot like why the run game seemed to deteriorate or why players regressed.

Good catch, I was looking for the video to pull it back up. :beer:

He wasn't there as I thought -- but he was there during the calls to Houston and Jax, meaning he knew they were dealing. I still don't buy that he stormed out, if he truly did then he's worse than any diva I've ever met.

Exactly, which is why I doubt he was so upset by the deal. He knew for days before the draft that they were going to try to move up and had days to protest/overreact. The fact that he waited until it was a done deal (when the most press/cameras/outside eyes were on him) then that's another dick move to add to a long list.

The report from Schefter clearly said that he had reports of "walked out" and "stormed out" and he went out of his way to include the disclaimer.

I'm guessing that if he was upset vocally the days prior and going in, some might point to any act of walking out as throwing a fit. That could be the gap in descriptions. (Clearly just spitballing here)

Marrone knew ****. Given the collection of talent Whaley provided him on offense and the fact that, despite being an OL and offensive "mind" his unit was one of the worst in the NFL, it speaks volumes about what a turd Marrone is. The stuff after opting-out only reinforces that and I'm glad he made the decision easy for Pegs.

You really need some new material. You're slipping, man.

Yep.

The report from Schefter clearly said that he had reports of "walked out" and "stormed out" and he went out of his way to include the disclaimer.

I'm guessing that if he was upset vocally the days prior and going in, some might point to any act of walking out as throwing a fit. That could be the gap in descriptions. (Clearly just spitballing here)

That's probably a good call, speculation or not. Just seems so disingenuous to me. If he had done it in one of the hundreds of meetings leading up to the actual day I'd respect it. But I do think he got swept up in the drama of Draft Day being filmed (partially) at OBD and thought he was Denis Leary.

It is simple really, the cook only knows one recipe:

1.) Open the can

2.) dump it in a bowl

3.) place in microwave

4.) serve

That's because Marrone's "vision" is to not get blamed for failure while he lines up his next set of options. That's the only thing he is about. He's a total f-ing fraud.

Should have been schit canned once he said "go ahead and fire me".

The more I reflect on this entire fiasco, Brandon should be out the door to. All of this was allowed to go on under his watch and it was never addressed. I am assuming this is one reason why Pegs wants a czar, the remove the trash from OBD ASAP...

You don't fire a HC post-draft or in training camp

What did Marrone really think? Who knows.

There is no doubt that it benefits Marrone to distance himself from that trade.

Given the inclusion of the phrase "stormed out" I don't think this is just marrones camp. Not after all the reports this week of him not being able to deal with stuff like internal disagreements. Youd think they'd avoid the image of him pitching fits. It's lending some weight to the report not just being hindsight, if you ask me. I could see it coming from the front office blaming marrone for not being able to manage the offense due to being a crazy man doing his own thing and that being why the O underachieved Edited by NoSaint

Really???? You STILL trust Doug Marrone's opinions on anything related to football????...LOL

Idiot head coach Doug Marrone thinking EJ Manuel wasn't answer is the very reason Bills fans should have great faith that he's the answer at QB because Doug Marrone is a dumb man.

I can't believe there are still Bills fans backing up Marrone. Unreal, he's a joke and he had NO CLUE what to do with an NFL offense, with Watkins, with Manuel, with Spiller and on and on and on. He was a fraud, a phony. I suggest you really think it over before backing up any of Doug Marrone's decisions.