Did Marrone/Whaley rift start with Sammy Watkins selection?

NoSaint

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So they didn't tell him beforehand they were going to trade up? That is crazy. It was reported for weeks that the Bills were looking to move up for a WR. What did he think they would need to give up for Sammy, a bag of footballs? Just seems nuts he wouldn't have known.

Edited by YoloinOhio

There might be some truth-

It seemed whaley wanted perimeter playmakers and somewhere between his hire and year 2 marrone got very conservative. 3 TE sets, and such. Maybe he was big into Ebron?

Something like this would match KTDs sentiments that whaley was frustrated that marrone took a left turn in philosophy without including the rest of the organization

There might be some truth-

It seemed whaley wanted perimeter playmakers and somewhere between his hire and year 2 marrone got very conservative. 3 TE sets, and such. Maybe he was big into Ebron?

Something like this would match KTDs sentiments that whaley was frustrated that marrone took a left turn in philosophy without including the rest of the organization

"Why do you keep handing me skill position players when I want plodders and maulers?"

So they didn't tell him beforehand they were going to trade up? That is crazy. It was reported for weeks that the Bills were looking to move up for a WR. What did he think they would need to give up for Sammy, a bag of footballs? Just seems nuts he wouldn't have known.

Possible he knew and didn't want it, and was upset when it went through? Not hard to reconcile the story to what happened- but doesn't make it true either, obviously

I thought there were cameras in the draft room. I recall watching the footage. Would like to go back now and see marrone in there.

I'd be curious too- I didn't recall any sentiment like this at the time but maybe I wasn't looking for it? And clearky the team wouldn't show his displeasure but I'd be curious whether he was in on the happiness

I saw the Schefter report too. If true, the rift between Whaley and Marrone started over the trade, then I am glad he is gone. Marrone has come across since the end of the season as petty, thin skinned and a bit of a diva.

This is BS. I clearly remember the interviews with Sammy after the draft. They would ask him if he had any idea that the bills would go up and get him. His response was that he had an idea after a pre draft meeting with Marrone. Sammy said Marrone had a big grin like he knew something and kept asking him if he wanted to be a bill.

Clearly just spin and damage control

I think it is probably more that he didn't want to give up the 1st than that he didn't want Sammy. The Browns later said that they were only going to trade the pick if they got a 2015 1st, and other teams were calling them right before the pick. It's possible that DM thought they were giving up less but DW pulled the trigger on the 1st and that's what caused the tantrum.

I think it is probably more that he didn't want to give up the 1st than that he didn't want Sammy. The Browns later said that they were only going to trade the pick if they got a 2015 1st, and other teams were calling them right before the pick. It's possible that DM thought they were giving up less but DW pulled the trigger on the 1st and that's what caused the tantrum.

He knew what the parameters of the trade were. The Bills were calling every team from the top of the draft down. He knew it was two number ones.

Espn reporting just now on TV that the rift started on draft day. Schefter says he's received accounts ranging from walked out of to stormed out of the room when the trade happened

Maybe Marrone (or whomever) wanted Bridgewater or Carr, both of whom had excellent seasons on **** teams. Teams worse than ours.

Bridgewater's last 9 games were very good.

Think about it, we could have finagled a trade down that would have netted us Bridgewater or Carr and Benjamin or Beckum given what we did.

The problem with this place is that everyone gets angry emotionally and blames the people that have left instead of the people that remain. The shittiest part of this team, its biggest problems, are still firmly in place.

"Why do you keep handing me skill position players when I want plodders and maulers?"

Is it that hard to believe Marrone thought the price was too high? I do.

Could be he also had a pretty good idea about the QB situation and wanted the 2015 #1 to try and deal with that.

I don't know any more than you. But it seems a lot more plausible than silly "damage control" spin.

I very seriously doubt Marrone cares much about what the Bills fans think about the situation.

Edited by CodeMonkey