Did Marrone/Whaley rift start with Sammy Watkins selection?

NoSaint

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/bills-go-all-in-on-ejs-offense-20140511

Marrone said Watkins’ versatility presents a puzzle the offensive staff is eager to solve.

“As soon as we were able to get him … I got together with the offensive staff,” he said. “We have a lot of work ahead of us. He’s excited to get back to work and we’re excited to work with him.”

Edited by Lurker

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You gotta love this:

But what about the rest of the rookie wide receivers? The Bills could have stayed put at the No. 9 pick and drafted Odell Beckham Jr., who had 26 more catches and just over 300 more receiving yards than Watkins in four fewer games.

How's about, Odell Beckham Jr., who had 26 more catches and just over 300 more receiving yards than Watkins, WITH A BORDERLINE HOFer, TWO TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPION QB THROWING TO HIM in four fewer games. Also, the Giants were down Cruz and were naturally going to lean more on another receiver.

Seriously, though, are we comparing a WR who had Orton / Manuel throwing to him all year vs. Eli? Are we also comparing a guy who sat four games to one who PLAYED with broken ribs and a groin injury all season?

He was probably scared because he had no idea how to use him.

:thumbsup:

What did Marrone think of the three offensive linemen the Bills picked in the draft? Any word on that?

Exactly...Maybe he knew he would not be able to coach them up either?

You gotta love this:

How's about, Odell Beckham Jr., who had 26 more catches and just over 300 more receiving yards than Watkins, WITH A BORDERLINE HOFer, TWO TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPION QB THROWING TO HIM in four fewer games. Also, the Giants were down Cruz and were naturally going to lean more on another receiver.

Seriously, though, are we comparing a WR who had Orton / Manuel throwing to him all year vs. Eli? Are we also comparing a guy who sat four games to one who PLAYED with broken ribs and a groin injury all season?

Of course we are...

You gotta love this:

And you've of course got to wonder a little if sammy would've been on the field when he broke his ribs if marrone really loved the guy... Might not be fair, but gotta wonder a little

You gotta love this:

Beckham is better man, get over it. It isn't a slight against Watkins, Beckham may end up being a top 5 receiver of all-time. Most GM's would have taken Sammy over Beckham so we can't fault Whaley for that, but we can fault for the trade. Watkins is going to be great, maybe the best Bills WR ever but Beckham is better. It might be a little hard to swallow as Bills fans but we can't pretend like Beckham isn't better so our feelings don't get hurt.

You gotta love this:

While I do think Beckham is pretty amazing in his own right...I agree with your take...Put Sammy on the other end of Eli and he has a monster year...Put Sammy on the other side of an elite QB and he could have been All Pro as a Rookie... B-)

Beckham is better man, get over it. It isn't a slight against Watkins, Beckham may end up being a top 5 receiver of all-time. Most GM's would have taken Sammy over Beckham so we can't fault Whaley for that, but we can fault for the trade. Watkins is going to be great, maybe the best Bills WR ever but Beckham is better. It might be a little hard to swallow as Bills fans but we can't pretend like Beckham isn't better so our feelings don't get hurt.

It's amazing you can be so certain of both guy's career trajectories after one season (less for ODB).

What did Marrone think of the three offensive linemen the Bills picked in the draft? Any word on that?

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Doug-Marrone-All-I-care-about-is-what-you%E2%80%99re-going-to-do-now/7a113c7a-740e-4410-808e-a845a98e6ffb

Q: What did you see on tape of Cyrus Kouandjio? Everything I read about him was how he has great feet?

A: Yeah, he's a great football player. All three of those kids are impressive from what they can do. From a footwook standpoint, from an athletic standpoint...

Q: What did you see specifically on Kouandjio?

A: I thought he was a good football player. He's an excellent run blocker. He can knock people off the ball...

Q: Given Seantrel (Henderson)'s issues in the past, does your background as a former offense line coach make the team more willing to take a chance on a player like that?

A: Doug (Whaley) handles the roster, so that might be a better suited question for him, but we do talk about that...

Edited by Lurker

We don't know that. And Whaley has said we're bringing in two quarterbacks. I took that as a reference to getting a new #3.

Yes we do, they announced last week that Tuel is resigned. It's on the Bills website.

"The Bills have signed 10 players to reserve/futures contracts: S Deon Broomfield, G William Campbell, LB Jimmy Gaines, WR Caleb Holley, DE Bryan Johnson, G D.J. Morrell, WR Tobais Palmer, CB Rod Sweeting, DT Jeremy Towns, QB Jeff Tuel."

Yes we do, they announced last week that Tuel is resigned. It's on the Bills website.

"The Bills have signed 10 players to reserve/futures contracts: S Deon Broomfield, G William Campbell, LB Jimmy Gaines, WR Caleb Holley, DE Bryan Johnson, G D.J. Morrell, WR Tobais Palmer, CB Rod Sweeting, DT Jeremy Towns, QB Jeff Tuel."

I meant we don't know that Whaley likes him. We only have one other QB on the roster. I bet anyone anything he gets cut this year with a new coach.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/bills-go-all-in-on-ejs-offense-20140511

Marrone said Watkins versatility presents a puzzle the offensive staff is eager to solve.

As soon as we were able to get him I got together with the offensive staff, he said. We have a lot of work ahead of us. Hes excited to get back to work and were excited to work with him.

You forget Marrone would not allow any Bills news to be posted without his approval. Edited by Beef Jerky

hes on the PS. Means nothing.

As much as I dislike Marrone, I have to agree with him here. Mortgaging the future that much to select a WR is not a smart move if you have no QB. Sure, Watkins will win us a few more games, but we are talking about going from 6-10 to 9-7. Still not good enough to get to the playoffs or win in them.

I guess this also says Marrone wasn't convinced EJ was the answer either. Another thing he was correct about.

It's amazing you can be so certain of both guy's career trajectories after one season (less for ODB).

Isn't it though! What is amazing is that everyone gets so defensive when you say that a WR drafted with Watkins is better. Beckham had 91 receptions, 1,305 yards and 12 TD in 12 games. Over a full 16 game season that is 121 receptions 1740 yards and 16 TD's as a rookie, Oh yea he had arguably the greatest catch of all time too.

Wait a second.... I forgot the Peyt.... I mean Eli "I threw for 3,800 yards 18 TD's and 27 Int's in 2013 without Beckham" Manning was throwing to him. I guess if that is the case there is no way he could be better than Sammy. It doesn't take a genius to see that Zack Martin's career trajectory is better than Cujo. Beckham is going to be an all time great. Please for the love of God let's stop worrying about our guy being better and admit Beckham is better.

Edited by Proteus

Isn't it though! What is amazing is that everyone gets so defensive when you say that a WR drafted with Watkins is better. Beckham had 91 receptions, 1,305 yards and 12 TD in 12 games. Over a full 16 game season that is 121 receptions 1740 yards and 16 TD's as a rookie, Oh yea he had arguably the greatest catch of all time.

Wait a second.... I forgot the Peyt.... I mean Eli "I threw for 3,800 yards 18 TD's and 27 Int's in 2013 without Beckham" Manning throwing to him. I guess if that is the case there is no way he could be better than Sammy. It doesn't take a genius to see that Zack Martin's career trajectory is better than Cujo. Beckham is going to be an all time great. Please for the love of God let's stop worrying about our guy being better and admit Beckham is better.

Let's address this post in a few years. You're clearly a prisoner of the moment.

Isn't it though! What is amazing is that everyone gets so defensive when you say that a WR drafted with Watkins is better. Beckham had 91 receptions, 1,305 yards and 12 TD in 12 games. Over a full 16 game season that is 121 receptions 1740 yards and 16 TD's as a rookie, Oh yea he had arguably the greatest catch of all time.

Wait a second.... I forgot the Peyt.... I mean Eli "I threw for 3,800 yards 18 TD's and 27 Int's in 2013 without Beckham" Manning throwing to him. I guess if that is the case there is no way he could be better than Sammy. It doesn't take a genius to see that Zack Martin's career trajectory is better than Cujo. Beckham is going to be an all time great. Please for the love of God let's stop worrying about our guy being better and admit Beckham is better.

Beckham was getting 20 targets a game the last half of the year. Watkins was often getting 5.

As much as I dislike Marrone, I have to agree with him here. Mortgaging the future that much to select a WR is not a smart move if you have no QB. Sure, Watkins will win us a few more games, but we are talking about going from 6-10 to 9-7. Still not good enough to get to the playoffs or win in them.

I guess this also says Marrone wasn't convinced EJ was the answer either. Another thing he was correct about.

So because the Bills traded away the 19th overall pick in the 2015 draft, they've "mortgaged the future?"

The only picks that matter to some fans are the ones we don't have.

Yep. It's as if that 19th overall was the key to the future/success of the Bills. Ostensibly because the Bills would have found their franchise QB there.

Beckham was getting 20 targets a game the last half of the year. Watkins was often getting 5.

I love Sammy Watkins and I have a lot of faith that he is going to be a great receiver for the Bills. He is not as good as Odell Beckham, plain and simple. I really don't understand why that is so hard to admit. Sometimes there are guys who come out of the draft that are just on another level, Beckham is one of those guys. I don't give a flying **** how many times he was targeted per game. That is such a weak argument that I would be embarrassed to bring it up if I were you. Watkins is going to have to battle it out to be the 2nd best WR to come out of that draft with Mike Evans, and right now he is 3rd to Evans. Oh wait I forgot, Evans had McCown and Glennon throwing to him.

So because the Bills traded away the 19th overall pick in the 2015 draft, they've "mortgaged the future?"

But if they didnt have Sammy we would have been the worst team in the league, and we could have drafted Marriotta. But since we did have Sammy we can now trade him for the #2 overall and get Marriotta AND Winston and let them fight it out.

I love Sammy Watkins and I have a lot of faith that he is going to be a great receiver for the Bills. He is not as good as Odell Beckham, plain and simple. I really don't understand why that is so hard to admit. Sometimes there are guys who come out of the draft that are just on another level, Beckham is one of those guys. I don't give a flying **** how many times he was targeted per game. That is such a weak argument that I would be embarrassed to bring it up if I were you. Watkins is going to have to battle it out to be the 2nd best WR to come out of that draft with Mike Evans, and right now he is 3rd to Evans. Oh wait I forgot, Evans had McCown and Glennon throwing to him.

Again, who is throwing to these guys makes a huge difference. So does involvement in the game plan. If you say you'd take EJ/Orton over Eli or that 20 targets a game versus 5 will get you similar results, you don't have a clue.

I'm not trying to defend Sammy or really argue with you, but the reason why it's so hard to admit is only a fool would positively state without equivocation that ODB is 100% better than Sammy and always will be based on a 12 game sample in the guy's rookie year.

The NFL takes things away from players. Things don't get easier as players stay in the league, they in fact get harder. Which is the opposite of how it works at any other level of the sport. NFL history is littered with one year wonders who flame out as quickly as they arrive. I love ODB's skill set and what he did this year, but there's no way to know he's better than Sammy at this point.

Evans also was the number 2 WR on his own team and played in the semi-pro division of the NFC South. But context isn't something you like to factor into your sweeping generalizations.

Edited by GreggyT

Context doesn't matter to people who've clearly made up their minds about a 21 year old's career trajectory.

All that matters to you is Watkins was drafted by the Bills therefore he is better. Also how have I made up my mind about Watkins career trajectory? I think he could end up being a HOFamer and the best Bills receiver of all time. How is that making up my mind? It just happens to be clear to anyone not wearing Bills rose colored glasses that Beckham is better. It is not even an argument. He was targeted 20 times a game so his 10 catches 150 yards and 1 TD per game doesn't really count. Just a pathetic stance to take.

Chris Trapasso @ChrisTrapasso 7m7 minutes ago

If Marrone didn't like Watkins trade, fine. He'll probably be right. But as HC with major input on gameplan, did he purposely limit targets?

Chris Trapasso @ChrisTrapasso 7m7 minutes ago

Ultimately, QB decides where to throw the football. But I think we all can agree Watkins wasn't first option as much as he should have been.

Chris Trapasso @ChrisTrapasso 1m1 minute ago

Watkins had five games with more than 10 targets. His average stat line in those games...5 catches and 127.4 yards.

Chris Trapasso @ChrisTrapasso 2m2 minutes ago

In the end, I doubt a HC would purposely not feature a player in the game plan as talented as Watkins, but it's worth wondering w/ Marrone.

Edited by Reed83HOF

All that matters to you is Watkins was drafted by the Bills therefore he is better. Also how have I made up my mind about Watkins career trajectory? I think he could end up being a HOFamer and the best Bills receiver of all time. How is that making up my mind? It just happens to be clear to anyone not wearing Bills rose colored glasses that Beckham is better. It is not even an argument. He was targeted 20 times a game so his 10 catches 150 yards and 1 TD per game doesn't really count. Just a pathetic stance to take.

You're assuming that about me, yet I have never said anything close to that.

So who's the one with an agenda here? The guy trying to say it's too early to draw a conclusion or the guy railing against anyone daring to have a different opinion than his own?

Hmmm....

If true, then it corroborates much of what we've debated for months now, but I'm not convinced Marrone's at fault.

If he handed Whaley a grocery list for ground beef and taco shells only to have him come back with red sauce and pasta, then IMO Whaley was wrong.