Take Simpson's Name Down

Gugny

Simpson's Name on the Wall of Fame  

315 members have voted

1. 1. Should Simpson's Name Be Removed From the Wall?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He belongs on the wall for his work in The Naked Gun

You forgot "The Towering Inferno" as he was the guard who found the fire. Don't forget the Hertz commercials.

In all seriousness, I may be in the minority, but he is the only person ever in the NFL who ran for 2000 yards in 14 games. Dickerson, nor AP, ever did that so for his play on the field, he should be on the wall. Now his behaviors afterwards are despicable, and he is in prison.

The problem is there are athletes who have committed crimes after their time in professional sports. It doesn't make sense as it is a slippery slope and where do you draw the line.

A few days ago I watch the top 10 single rushing seasons on the NFL Network. OJ's 2003 yard performance was rated #1. They didn't say the guy had the greatest single season of any running back that ever played in the NFL but since he got in trouble with the law after his retirement we're not going to make him #1. Same thing with the Wall. He was put up there for what he did as a Bill and nothing else.

Sure guy turned out to be a dirtbag but that doesn't diminish what he did on the field and he's never going to be a candidate for sainthood.

a) Until the Bills start honoring all of their "character guys", then the honor is not about character. It's about greatness on the field.

b) Not Guilty.

Incorrect. O.J. Simpson was found liable of the murders and acting with oppression and malice.

I didn't vote in the poll and think there are valid points on both sides. My question is, could some sort of compromise be reached? Seeing his full name up there is a little off putting, but what if it was just a number and a last name? Your average layperson or person who knows about the case but doesn't remember his playing career probably wouldn't think twice or even make the connection if it just said "32 Simpson." That might look a little strange if all the other players had first names listed, but maybe the transition could be made for all players if/when a new stadium is built or as part of a reformatting to make room as new names are added.

OJ Simpson is the Bills greatest player like the Pats won the Super Bowl:

it deserves a huge asterisk.

Disagree. He IS the most dominant player we have ever had the honor seeing wear the colors. You get an asterisk when you do something that unfairly affects your play.

The guy's a dirt bag, but he's the greatest dirt bag ever to carry the football.

Keep him there. It's an on field reminder. It's also a reminder of the electric company and their honor too. He's the worst low of a human being could be. However, others on the wall are not choir boys either. He's there because he's our best player ever, nothing more. Removing him is a slap in the face to the rest of those players from the 70s. It's not a popular decision but it's the right decision to keep him up.

Gugny your an idiot. I cant believe the moderator even allowed you to post this. How about it Mod, this is just like a political discussion that you punish posters for. Is Gugny one of your buds and does get the same scrutiny?

Leave OJ alone. He's recognized for what he did on the field. I'm pretty sure he was found not guilty, or are you from some other planet? Mod please do the right thing and at least warn Gugny for starting such strife on this board or ban them.

Edited by SlamnSam

I'm the biggest OJ supporter in the world - as a player. He was my hero, I wore number 32, kept a scrapbook, had posters on my wall, played TB in HS. I have a question for people on here. Joe Paterno had his statue torn down faster than Hitler, Stalin and Saddam! Does this matter at all in the discussion? My son at a Bills game asked me why OJ was still on the wall, and why Joe Pa who had done ALOT for PSU, had his statue torn down. This whole paradox strikes me as odd. I don't have the answer. Help me out.

Edited by moreproblemsthanOrton

Gugny your an idiot. I cant believe the moderator even allowed you to post this. How about it Mod, this is just like a political discussion that you punish posters for. Is Gugny one of your buds and does get the same scrutiny?

Leave OJ alone. He's recognized for what he did on the field. I'm pretty sure he was found not guilty, or are you from some other planet? Mod please do the right thing and at least warn Gugny for starting such strife on this board or ban them.

I love you. :wub:

Gladly, most people are keeping the discussion civil.

This isn't political. It's purely Bills-related. With the new owner, I believe it's a discussion worth having.

Separating real life (when two people are brutally murdered) from a game (football - yes; it's a game) is what makes me believe his name has no business being up there.

I'm not saying Simpson wasn't a great RB/Bill. He was. I loved him in the Naked Gun movies, too.

But there is something bigger than those accomplishments. Life.

Well, the fact that he's in prison for a different violent offense makes it easy. As does the fact that he was found responsible in a civil trial for the deaths of two persons. I don't want to be all sanctimonious about this, but I think if in your place of business -- whatever it might be -- one of the former CEOs who guided the company through a profitable period was found responsible for killing two people and is currently serving a long sentence for robbery, you wouldn't think twice about renaming the "OJ Simpson Conference Room."

Surprised this poll is so one sided. I believe removing his name reverses the curse.

Quietly taking it down during this offseason would be the best move. Obviously you don't make a big deal about it (please sit down, Brandon), but it would inevitably get noticed and reported on.

And then the story becomes a very positive one: new owner Terry Pegula is doing good things in Buffalo, it's a new day, and the new-era Bills can lead the way of a football-obsessed community done right.

Edited by 8and8Forever

Good idea. No one in the media will dare protest the move either... but since he was never convicted, taking the name down may bring a defamation suit from OJ's lawyers, though, as the presumption will be that the Bills believe he is guilty. Which is probably why its still up there in the first place. Its all about legal risk, nothing else...

Edited by 8and8Forever

Incorrect. O.J. Simpson was found liable of the murders and acting with oppression and malice.

Civil liability and criminal guilt are not the same thing. Geez, if we black-balled everyone who was ever found liable for something...

There's lots of good points and comments made throughout this thread (though Gugny's wasn't one of them. :D). I'm honestly conflicted on the issue, more-so now after this season's Ray Rice horseshit and the league's new "stance" on domestic violence. How do you recognize someone for what they did on the field, when their name is tarnished by events off the field years later? Conversely, how do you stop honoring him without calling even more attention to him?

I think the best idea from above was: when they build a new stadium, he doesn't come with.

Good idea. No one in the media will dare protest the move either... but since he was never convicted, taking the name down may bring a defamation suit from OJ's lawyers, though, as the presumption will be that the Bills believe he is guilty. Which is probably why its still up there in the first place. Its all about legal risk, nothing else...

I don't know that he could bring a defamation suit. The Goldmans basically own him.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the Goldmans couldn't sue to have his name taken down. They own his name, in part (were legally awarded rights to it when they got the rights to "If I Did It."), but I don't know how far that ownership extends.

To those bemoaning the "slippery slope," when the next person on the wall comes close to OJ's infamy, we can have a heated debate about it.

The new stadium clearly gets no OJ. But there's no reason for him to be there now. Not for a loooooooong time. What he did as a player is impressive and was good for the team THEN. There's no need for the fans to still give him praise.

I am also conflicted. He was the face of the franchise early on. And then.......

I like the idea of keeping his name off any new stadium. Is there a compromise? Keep the #32 up, but remove the name. Bills fans know of his importance. #32 will always be the Juice to those of us old enough to remember him as a player. But i admit, seeing his name up there does kinda bother me.

Edited by I_want_2_BILL_Lieve

You forgot "The Towering Inferno" as he was the guard who found the fire. Don't forget the Hertz commercials.

In all seriousness, I may be in the minority, but he is the only person ever in the NFL who ran for 2000 yards in 14 games. Dickerson, nor AP, ever did that so for his play on the field, he should be on the wall. Now his behaviors afterwards are despicable, and he is in prison.

The problem is there are athletes who have committed crimes after their time in professional sports. It doesn't make sense as it is a slippery slope and where do you draw the line.

Just missed the Hollywood walk of fame. Capricorn One, now that was a performance. (I actually loved that movie when I was a kid).

As for slippery slope fears. C'mon, I don't really want to go there but... You have to admit that there are some things so repugnant that the usual rule (a place on the Wall is forever) has to be suspended. Let's say OJ had joined a jihadi group and helped to finance a terrorist act that killed Americans. Or was convicted of sex abuse of a child. Or... Was found liable for a double homicide, and was convicted of a robbery. The hard and fast rule of "if we do it under these circumstances, how do we draw the line for lesser misbehavior" is an excuse for not being willing to make distinctions.

He is the greatest RB in Bills history (sorry Thurman). Hell, you could even make the argument that he's the best RB in NFL history.

He was lucky to get off on the murder charges. However, he got hosed on the robbery charges and sentence.

Keep him on the wall.

He is the greatest RB in Bills history (sorry Thurman). Hell, you could even make the argument that he's the best RB in NFL history.

He was lucky to get off on the murder charges. However, he got hosed on the robbery charges and sentence.

Keep him on the wall.

He was lucky he was tried in Southern California.

Gotta love the LAPD...couldn't even frame a guilty man.

Whether you think he did it or not, you can't punish people for being accused of crimes especially when they are found not guilty.

You can't?

It was an alleged double murder.

There was noting alleged about the murders.

Just missed the Hollywood walk of fame. Capricorn One, now that was a performance. (I actually loved that movie when I was a kid).

As for slippery slope fears. C'mon, I don't really want to go there but... You have to admit that there are some things so repugnant that the usual rule (a place on the Wall is forever) has to be suspended. Let's say OJ had joined a jihadi group and helped to finance a terrorist act that killed Americans. Or was convicted of sex abuse of a child. Or... Was found liable for a double homicide, and was convicted of a robbery. The hard and fast rule of "if we do it under these circumstances, how do we draw the line for lesser misbehavior" is an excuse for not being willing to make

I forgot about Capricorn One Frank. I just think he is one of the top 3 RB's of all time, and he was a Bill. I'm not embarrassed about his off the field antics as he was disgusting in his actions, and now he's in prison, which is where he belongs. His name is up there simply for the time on the field, That's it.

What sucks is how all of the conversation around greatest RB's, he is often overlooked because of his later choices. He was so much better than many brought up in the usual conversations. I loved watching him when i was a young boy.

I understand the other points of view though. It's just conversation.

Civil liability and criminal guilt are not the same thing. Geez, if we black-balled everyone who was ever found liable for something...

I realize there's a big difference.

It's not like he was found liable for the carpet in a rental after his dog pissed on it too much.

I forgot about Capricorn One Frank. I just think he is one of the top 3 RB's of all time, and he was a Bill. I'm not embarrassed about his off the field antics as he was disgusting in his actions, and now he's in prison, which is where he belongs. His name is up there simply for the time on the field, That's it.

What sucks is how all of the conversation around greatest RB's, he is often overlooked because of his later choices. He was so much better than many brought up in the usual conversations. I loved watching him when i was a young boy.

I understand the other points of view though. It's just conversation.

On this we definitely agree. I am too young to remember Jim Brown or Gale Sayers, but in my football fan life, I believe no RB has been so completely game changing as OJ. Earl Campbell came close, but his run ended pretty quickly, as was the case with Barry Sanderson. Dickerson was pretty close too. Payton and Emmitt were not the same kind of back -- they lacked the explosiveness, the realization that every run was just one amazing cutback/acceleration away from a breakaway. What a talent, sadly squandered first by an uncreative coaching staff/management in the 1970s, then by the poorest post-football adjustment to life imaginable.

I realize there's a big difference.

Then why'd you equate the two?

Then why'd you equate the two?

Tom, I didn't equate civil liability to criminal guilt; simply saying civil liability for the deaths of two people, acting with oppression and malice, is reason enough to warrant the removal of one's name from a sports venue.