Is Whaley next?

gjv001

I highly doubt it. Whaley is building a team, modeled after the Steelers where he was groomed. That's what the Pegulas want. Marrone was power hungry. They took offense to that. That's why the report today was Whaley won the power struggle. His philosophies won out. Marrone threw a hissy fit and quit.

Whaley's record spotty....no question...not great on the last two first rounders....wasted the 15 1st to try and bail out the 13 first rounder who wasn't making it. Did that with all that receiver talent on the board. I wanted Beckham to begin with. Now, he also traded Kelvin Sheppard for Jerry Hughes...and that was a home run...so I don't think he is all bad, but he has had his share of misses. Great free agent signing in Graham, but the guard from the Rams....ugh. So, his batting average isn't great. Interesting to see....I actually hate the father /son idea....not a successful configuration in my view. Doomed to fail. If Polian is coming in, not the son, please......

I highly doubt it. Whaley is building a team, modeled after the Steelers where he was groomed. That's what the Pegulas want. Marrone was power hungry. They took offense to that. That's why the report today was Whaley won the power struggle. His philosophies won out. Marrone threw a hissy fit and quit.

I read an article on Rumblings that suggests Poiian's hire "marginalized" Whaley's position. I don't know how true that is. I can't think Polian is in this for the long-haul. Whaley is a pretty good GM, I think. I'd like to think they can work together. Honestly, while I knew Nix was involved with the Bills, I never thought his position was all that influential these days. I have to admit, I'm a bit confused. But I'm used to that.

I read an article on Rumblings that suggests Poiian's hire "marginalized" Whaley's position. I don't know how true that is. I can't think Polian is in this for the long-haul. Whaley is a pretty good GM, I think. I'd like to think they can work together. Honestly, while I knew Nix was involved with the Bills, I never thought his position was all that influential these days. I have to admit, I'm a bit confused. But I'm used to that.

Nix was still around. He didn't attend all of the stuff. The last two years they asked him his opinion like the old weird uncle at dinner. He didn't scout any more I don't think, which he did up until two years ago.

Fwiw, when I talked to some of the FO guys during their trip to pittsbugh in the summer, buddy was there and seemed to be no different than a full-time employee. I thought it was weird that a "retired consultant" was traveling with the team during the preseason.

So the report by Rodak saying the two Doug's were arguing was obviously true; I think it was as serious as most of us probably thought it was. You also have to wonder if Whaley already told Marrone that change needed to happen with Hackett and Morris and that was a basis for him asking for his coaches to get years added to their contract; hence the power play?

The question I have is where does Brandon fall in all of this? IIRC, he was there during the argument, he was in on hiring Marrone (some speculation that he wanted St. Doug), he tried to calm the storm from Rodak's tweets/story...

Whats does it matter where you draft them, as long as you get a few. If we drafts Kiko first, then woods, and then EJ its all the same at the end of the day. The Sammy pick was a solid pick. It was a bold move, this franchise has been playing it safe for years, they need more bold moves and a little bit of luck. I'm glad Doug got the balls and is willing to bring then to the table, now if we can get a little luck we will be ok..

Overall he's done a good job. Unfortunately his 2 most visible moves ... Draft EJ rd 1, trade 1st and 4th for Watkins ... are not panning out.

How do we know the Sammy pick didn't pan out?

I can't help but think that Whaley would have been fired by now, if the Pegulas were leaning that way. If Polian isn't on board until late January as has been reported, the GM, and perhaps Russ, would have to be looking for the new head coach. They can't wait until late January or February, to start looking for a new head coach. I think Whaley sticks around...

I can't help but think that Whaley would have been fired by now, if the Pegulas were leaning that way. If Polian isn't on board until late January as has been reported, the GM, and perhaps Russ, would have to be looking for the new head coach. They can't wait until late January or February, to start looking for a new head coach. I think Whaley sticks around...

Hope you are right. But then again, Polian's hire hasn't been announced. Maybe Whaley already knows.

It could very well be considering its been two years of bad O lines. Then so many NFL analysts are saying he could have saved the #1 & #4 picks just by drafting Odell Beckham Jr.

Who knows at this point.

I feel he just needs an actual football mind over him as president.

Nix will be gone. Marrone is gone. Hackett will likely follow Marrone..hopefully.

Exactly. If they intended to fire Whaley, then Marrone would still be here. Whaley is the one guy they they intend to retain beyond anyone, I believe.

Exactly. If they intended to fire Whaley, then Marrone would still be here. Whaley is the one guy they they intend to retain beyond anyone, I believe.

one thing we know for certain: nothing brandon says can be trusted. 2 or 3 days ago, everything was hunky dory with the gm and coach. disagreements were normal and expected. i hope he come out tomorrow stating he and whaley are safe...

It would be a shame to lose Whaley because i think hes an excellent scout. I feel like hed be better in a role as a chief scout and talent advisor rather than GM.

I dont see him being ok with a demotion, but id rather have a guy as GM that isnt trading away our next years first round picks.

Edited by mastershake

I really doubt Whaley goes anywhere...He was here long before Marrone...I think he'll be here long after...

Then again...Who knows...This is already crazy... B-)

My thoughts, exactly. Many seem to feel the changes aren't over yet.

There are better GM candidates out there than Doug Whaley. Just because he is here doesn't mean we need to settle for him. We were settling for him to begin with.

Step 1 for Pegs is to get the best people.

Brandon, Whaley, and Marrone were far from best people.

What part of Whaley trading for Sammy Watkins epitomized the Steeler way? Just saying....

There are better GM candidates out there than Doug Whaley. Just because he is here doesn't mean we need to settle for him. We were settling for him to begin with.

Step 1 for Pegs is to get the best people.

Brandon, Whaley, and Marrone were far from best people.

No we weren't actually. Whaley was talked about as a young, up-and-coming GM candidate. That's why the Bills made him Assistant GM. Other teams wanted him. And if the Bills let him go other teams will still want him. This world where GM's hit on every pick does not exist. He's done more good than bad, and even his "bad" is still not totally known, because of the timing involved. I know this is a microwave society, but it's laughable that people already know that the Watkins trade didn't work out. EJ? We shall see. 14 games and bad coaching along the way. That book is still being written too. Not that they shouldn't bring in other QB's still.

Edited by purple haze

What part of Whaley trading for Sammy Watkins epitomized the Steeler way? Just saying....

Funny you should ask.

Whaley learned the game from a Steeler icon, Bill Nunn, who passed away last year. What Nunn told Whaley was "Do not ever, ever be afraid to make a big move if you believe in it strongly."

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/05/09/bills-draft-sammy-watkins-gutsy-trade/

Funny you should ask.

Whaley learned the game from a Steeler icon, Bill Nunn, who passed away last year. What Nunn told Whaley was "Do not ever, ever be afraid to make a big move if you believe in it strongly."

http://mmqb.si.com/2...ns-gutsy-trade/

Even better than making a big move is making a big move and having it be the right move.

From following football the NFL since the 1970's-

the trade for Watkins and trades for Bryce Brown and Mike Williams(both with character concerns) do not epitomize the Steeler way.

Edited by In space no one can hear

Wasn't Whaley in Pittsburgh when cowher was there?

yeah. And Whaley has a great reputation around the NFL. He isn't going anywhere. Whaley won. If Bill Polian is coming in it will be with a title of Director of Football operations or something like that. Like a long-term strategy sort of guy who can bring in big name coaches, etc.

yeah. And Whaley has a great reputation around the NFL. He isn't going anywhere. Whaley won. If Bill Polian is coming in it will be with a title of Director of Football operations or something like that. Like a long-term strategy sort of guy who can bring in big name coaches, etc.

Exactly. Although it's possible that Whaley loves Cowher and vice versa.

Whaley is fine. The Bills choose him over Marrone, which IMHO was the correct move. As others have stated his name was brought up for other GM vacancies, but he stayed here as he was the heir apparent.

The bigger question is what happens to Russ? From a business standpoint, he has done a great job with filling the seats, expanding the fan base, SJF is a great place to see training camp. The problem I see is that he has been the mouth piece for the organization and the fan base is over it. If he stays he needs to be removed from the football side of the house and I'm not sure that is fully possible. As we all saw with pic at the end of the season presser, Marrone reaches out to him first when KO retired, he is still involved more than he needs to be. I am not sure if he is out of the organization or in the Pegula Sports & Enternainment business. I just don't see how he can go from being the de-facto owner to just running the business side of the house. That is a big step down...

No we weren't actually. Whaley was talked about as a young, up-and-coming GM candidate. That's why the Bills made him Assistant GM. Other teams wanted him. And if the Bills let him go other teams will still want him. This world where GM's hit on every pick does not exist. He's done more good than bad, and even his "bad" is still not totally known, because of the timing involved. I know this is a microwave society, but it's laughable that people already know that the Watkins trade didn't work out. EJ? We shall see. 14 games and bad coaching along the way. That book is still being written too. Not that they shouldn't bring in other QB's still.

I agree 100% with this. People want 100% accuracy from a GM, and you can't get it. Sammy had a GREAT season considering his injuries and the QB play. Also, don't forget Whaley found Graham, who turned out to be a huge part of the revitalized secondary, drafted leading tacklet Preston Brown, got Brandon Spikes, and rebuilt the Special Teams unit. He also put enough talent on the offensive side of the ball, a "Franchise QB" was nowhere to be found. AT least he keeps trying to fix that position. The O-line also seriously/unexpectedly regressed this year.

Exactly. Although it's possible that Whaley loves Cowher and vice versa.

Again, for what it is worth: I'm all in with The Chin! Doubt he will come here, but all of a sudden the Bills job is interesting. A perfect position for an offensive minded HC to make a quick impact. If Cowher really wants to return to coaching, I think he needs to strike relatively quickly.

Whaley is fine.

What? You've been saying he sucks and needs to go. No? Have you lost track of your own stupidity?

I think all bets are off at this point regarding Whaley and possibly Brandon. What happens also may not play out as quickly as the situation with Marrone, particularly if Polian is coming but not until the end of January or after.