How about Michael Sam?

Joaquin1119

I've just lost all respect I had for him. Sexual orientation aside, he's using it for his own advantage. If he wanted to be "treated like any other player" he wouldn't be doing that.

Doesn't one need to be invited to participate in the vet combine and in team workouts?

Maybe this means his request for a vet combine invite has been denied and he isn't getting any requests for team workouts either.

Dancing with the Stars does pay something.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait. Tara Lipinski? The figure skater?

That naughty little vixen.

oops for some reason I was thinking of Tara Reid

I was gonna say she was doing Super Bowl coverage with Johnny Weir. I have no idea why, but yeah it happened. Tara Lipinski will have a steady gig critiquing teenage girls on ice as long as she wants.

Doesn't one need to be invited to participate in the vet combine and in team workouts?

Maybe this means his request for a vet combine invite has been denied and he isn't getting any requests for team workouts either.

I guess. I didn't care for the fact that he was about to do a reality show for Oprah. If you want to be treated like everyone else, act like it.

Unfortunately in discussions like this, logic often has no value. The narrative is what matters.

Sam is gay and out of the league. Therefore the NFL is homophobic. Identity trumps ability

It's not a coincidence that Jackie Robinson was the one who broke the MLB color barrier, and not some mediocre 2nd baseman.

Based on college talent, draft measurables, and last year's preseason with the Rams, Sam should be one of the guys who are on speed dial to come into a team in the event of injury and who are brought into camp for a look-see. But he didn't get any calls and he's not getting any looks this spring. Why? For a marginal talent, I think it's very likely the NFL doesn't want the distraction he brings. If he were JJ Watt, of course he'd be signed. Identity doesn't trump high ability, but it does trump marginal ability or potential.

I guess. I didn't care for the fact that he was about to do a reality show for Oprah. If you want to be treated like everyone else, act like it.

It's a valid point that his efforts to be treated like everyone else and get a look are hampered if he generates his own media buzz with stuff like Oprah appearances and DWTS.

OTOH, the guy does need to bring in some $$. Does Oprah pay?

It's not a coincidence that Jackie Robinson was the one who broke the MLB color barrier, and not some mediocre 2nd baseman.

Based on college talent, draft measurables, and last year's preseason with the Rams, Sam should be one of the guys who are on speed dial to come into a team in the event of injury and who are brought into camp for a look-see. But he didn't get any calls and he's not getting any looks this spring. Why? For a marginal talent, I think it's very likely the NFL doesn't want the distraction he brings. If he were JJ Watt, of course he'd be signed. Identity doesn't trump high ability, but it does trump marginal ability or potential.

It's a valid point that his efforts to be treated like everyone else and get a look are hampered if he generates his own media buzz with stuff like Oprah appearances and DWTS.

OTOH, the guy does need to bring in some $$. Does Oprah pay?

She does. But this was last year, before the Rams cut him. But put yourself in the shoes of a GM. A player that is unproven, and seems to be a mediocre player at best, is already gonna be a distraction. Now he's gonna bring that distraction along with him. The coming out thing is one issue, but when you think about it, it's better that he came out on his own terms than some paparazzi scandal later. But if he really had any integrity, he would have turned down the reality show.

At the same time though, Jackie Robinson wasn't the best black ballplayer of his era by a long shot. One of the best. But talent wise, Josh Gibson was far superior. But he had anger issues. So when they hurled insults at him, they didn't trust him not to retaliate. Because if he did, it would have set black baseball back twenty years, because the argument would be "See. This is why the blacks can't play. They can't be trusted." Which is what it seems Michael Sam would be doing with the reality shows, etc. Whether he likes it or not, he's representing a whole group of people.

I didn't think they needed an invite but you are correct. From the press release:

"The league expects to invite about 100 free agents to the Arizona combine."

I didn't think they needed an invite but you are correct. From the press release:

"The league expects to invite about 100 free agents to the Arizona combine."

He could pull a TO and hold his own workout, and invite the media and teams to show up.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

• 1 month later...

What's he worst that can happen? Dude was dominant in the SEC and we could use some depth.

I don't understand why he isn't getting more looks

Dude just ran a 7.8 40 yard and we're set at DE. Other than the fact that you've heard of him why should we have a Michael Sam thread every other week?

Just because he is gay?

Seriously the guy is only being talked about because he is gay but he is not good. Its just as wrong to give him more attention

The guy needs to look for something else to do outside of the NFL. He can only ride this homosexual story so long and at the least hopefully parlay it to something as a spokesman.

Nonetheless we will be made to care

he was clocked over 5, but theres chatter the timing system was broken. everybody came up with awful times. J was just making a joke over how slow his time was.

I don't like to blame technology for slow people...

Edited by Beef Jerky

What's he worst that can happen? Dude was dominant in the SEC and we could use some depth.

He's not a very good pro football player. The only reason anyone knows about him is because he's gay.

I'm sorry but this is flat out not true at all. Yes he won the defensive player of the year in the SEC, but it was really all smoke in mirrors. In his senior year he had 11.5 sacks. 9 of those (3 each) came against Arkansas St (not SEC), Vanderbilt (perennially one of the worst SEC teams) and Florida (who have had the worst Florida teams in the last 30 years the past few seasons). That leaves a whopping 2.5 sacks in the other 11 games, not very impressive at all. Not to mention his first three seasons he only had 7 combined. Finally, you have to remember that teams were also protecting more against Kony Early who is much more significant presence. Sam is knows only as a pass rusher, and he's not even that great at that when you break it down. The fact is, if he were a heterosexual man you would have never heard his name again after he won the SEC award.

I'm sorry but this is flat out not true at all. Yes he won the defensive player of the year in the SEC, but it was really all smoke in mirrors. In his senior year he had 11.5 sacks. 9 of those (3 each) came against Arkansas St (not SEC), Vanderbilt (perennially one of the worst SEC teams) and Florida (who have had the worst Florida teams in the last 30 years the past few seasons). That leaves a whopping 2.5 sacks in the other 11 games, not very impressive at all. Not to mention his first three seasons he only had 7 combined. Finally, you have to remember that teams were also protecting more against Kony Early who is much more significant presence. Sam is knows only as a pass rusher, and he's not even that great at that when you break it down. The fact is, if he were a heterosexual man you would have never heard his name again after he won the SEC award.

Basically, he's Aaron Maybin. But with a boyfriend.

I'll say for the record that I think he had a rough break. I honestly think that if pure talent was the only issue, he'd probably be at least depth on someone's team.

But his role here would be what Hughes already does: come in on a rotation for nickel and dime packages. The difference being that Sam would do it less well.

I went to Mizzou and I've watched every game Michael Sam ever played at Mizzou. I've seen Justin Smith, Ziggy Hood, Aldon Smith, Sheldon Richardson, Kony Ealy, Michael Sam, Shane Ray, and Markus Golden all play on the D-line. Michael Sam is not the athlete that either Smith, Sheldon, Ealy or Ray is but the guy was an excellent football player at Mizzou. I'm telling you he could play and play well in the NFL. He's not an elite athlete by any means but the guy is a gamer who I think could excel as a situational pass rusher. He might not have elite "get off" but he just has a knack for getting to the QB. Who cares if 9 of his sacks came against Arkansas State, Vandy, and Florida? Those were three games he absolutely dominated. What about the year before against Alabama when he had 1.5 sacks and 2 forced fumbles? Or in the preseason with the rams when he had 2.5 sacks in very limited snaps (rams were loaded at D-line otherwise he would have made the team). Anyway, it's just my opinion buy I think this guy could totally play in the NFL and be effective. I think you have to know what you are getting though, he would be a situational pass rusher. I think him being gay does have something to do with him not being on a roster. I think teams feel for what they get in Sam isn't worth the media circus that would accompany signing him. If they didn't have to deal with that I think he'd definitely be on a team. Just my opinion.

I went to Mizzou and I've watched every game Michael Sam ever played at Mizzou. I've seen Justin Smith, Ziggy Hood, Aldon Smith, Sheldon Richardson, Kony Ealy, Michael Sam, Shane Ray, and Markus Golden all play on the D-line. Michael Sam is not the athlete that either Smith, Sheldon, Ealy or Ray is but the guy was an excellent football player at Mizzou. I'm telling you he could play and play well in the NFL. He's not an elite athlete by any means but the guy is a gamer who I think could excel as a situational pass rusher. He might not have elite "get off" but he just has a knack for getting to the QB. Who cares if 9 of his sacks came against Arkansas State, Vandy, and Florida? Those were three games he absolutely dominated. What about the year before against Alabama when he had 1.5 sacks and 2 forced fumbles? Or in the preseason with the rams when he had 2.5 sacks in very limited snaps (rams were loaded at D-line otherwise he would have made the team). Anyway, it's just my opinion buy I think this guy could totally play in the NFL and be effective. I think you have to know what you are getting though, he would be a situational pass rusher. I think him being gay does have something to do with him not being on a roster. I think teams feel for what they get in Sam isn't worth the media circus that would accompany signing him. If they didn't have to deal with that I think he'd definitely be on a team. Just my opinion.

I agree, he does seem to be getting the Tebow treatment. IIRC he was consistently mock drafted in the 3rd or 4th rounds before he came out. To fall all the way to the 7th, and then not even be able to stick on a practice squad, does seem conspicuous.

I agree, he does seem to be getting the Tebow treatment. IIRC he was consistently mock drafted in the 3rd or 4th rounds before he came out. To fall all the way to the 7th, and then not even be able to stick on a practice squad, does seem conspicuous.

to be fair, plenty of players don't end up near their early mocks

Apparently all the NFL decision makers do. There is a huge difference between dominating crap college football teams and being an effective NFL player. I'm sorry, but you need to lose your Mizzou homer goggles on this one.

And, as far as your "get off" comment, well, with great restraint I'm going to leave that one alone this time.

Edited by Mark80

I'll say for the record that I think he had a rough break. I honestly think that if pure talent was the only issue, he'd probably be at least depth on someone's team.

But his role here would be what Hughes already does: come in on a rotation for nickel and dime packages. The difference being that Sam would do it less well.

sorry, but that's the main point: his lack of pure talent. I watched him disappear during SEC games, and as another poster commented, he succeeded not entirely due to the talent of those around him.

His measurable weren't good. The only he was in consideration to be drafted was because of how well he played in the SEC. The Rams drafted him late and he played OK enough to impress the Cowboys enough to be on their practice squad. He will probably be brought into training camp for a team but will more than likely get cut or best case he gets on a practice squad again. I find it very hard to see him being on a 53 man

Edited by billsfan89

A - I could give two ***** that he's gay, this is about being the SEC defensive player of the year

B - His 40 speed isn't that bad

C - There's no harm in bringing him in, and if he can't cut it, he doesn't make the team.

That's really are there is to my thought on this.

A - I could give two ***** that he's gay, this is about being the SEC defensive player of the year

C - There's no harm in bringing him in, and if he can't cut it, he doesn't make the team.

A) Name another SECDPOY without googling.

B) this could be said about any player

C) this could be said about any player

why is he better than the other guys we can take a flyer on? please give any reason that his skill set is a better opportunity for the bills than the alternatives. people gave you the courtesy of talking about his speed, his inconsistent production, etc.... its your topic, at some point dont you have to provide material beyond "why not?"

or did you not watch much of him, and just like the title SECDPOY

Edited by NoSaint

He could not make the Rams roster, a good defense not far behind ours.

He could not make the Cowboys a team with an inferior defense and a need at his position.

He would have no chance of beating anyone currently on our roster out for a roster spot!

Why waste the time of the position coach, when that time can be spent on a legitimate player?

Sorry to change the subject but is this what you expect from Hughes? I respectfully disagree.

Why bring in someone you know is inferior and won't make the team? A waste of time and money....Scouts, coaches and GMs have watched him and choose not to sign him. Move on