How about Michael Sam?

Joaquin1119

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that is a great idea with Incognito in the locker room. What could go wrong. Btw, this just in, Sam is so bad he can't even stick on an NFL practice squad, let alone make a real roster.

I think the word tweener was invented for Corey Moore

yea, incognito and sam in the same room.. perception is everything, but i think incognito will be keeping a very low profile off the field.. really do not think that would be a problem, but i just think (in my opinion) sam is not NFL worthy..

Michael Sam simply isn't that good. These threads get started because people think he might be a quality find. That's because they think the reason he doesn't have a job in the NFL is because of his sexual orientation (and the fact that it is known). But that's where people are wrong. His problem is that he just isn't a very good NFL player. That's due to his physical limitations of speed, strength and size. He was plenty good enough in those regards to excel in college and he played smart. But he just doesn't have the ability to play in the NFL. Teams would rather try to bring along a physical freak who might be good than a guy who doesn't ever have a chance to be more than ok. And if they did, there are plenty of players that fit that bill without the added media attention that comes with Sam.

Edited by BarleyNY

When all is said and done, Richie Incognito doesn't matter at all in terms of considering Michael Sam. All that matters to me is whether he's capable of playing in the NFL. There's the rub. He's not capable. He wasn't even close to being a marginal player coming out of college and now he has virtually zero chance of getting back into an NFL uniform. First, he's too small to play either defensive end or linebacker. 6-2 isn't going to cut it at DE when he's only about 260 pounds. The days of defensive ends being that small are over UNLESS you have world class footwork and speed. He has neither. He's actually on the slow side of things when it comes to speed and agility. Now tell me that a player that's kind of short to play linebacker as well that's slow and not very agile is going to be able to cover tight ends and I'll tell you that you're nuts. One AFC scout summed it up the best saying something like "it's tough considering drafting a short, slow guy whose only redeeming quality is that he tries real hard". Forget all the other nonsense. To the OP, how about not?

Edited by Luxy312

For some reason, this reminds me of the Marx quote "outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read"

I share this same question.

He probably should, C.Biscuit. I think that recent article nailed it - in terms of talent and the stage of his development, he's a "bubble" player, the level of talent GMs keep on "speed dial" to sign in the event of injuries. No one wants any controversy or distraction in a player of that talent level, so he's wasn't on anyone's "short list" of guys to bring in. If he showed flashes of potential to be a top talent, no one would give a d**n that he's Gay. If he were straight, he has talent enough he'd have been getting looks during the season as the injury toll mounted.

Hopefully he'll be given a second shot on some team during the off-season and if the media furor has died down, he'll get additional chances. But he's not strong and big and fast enough to be a sure bet in the NFL.

As for the OP, I remain puzzled as to why he thinks Hughes and Sam should be mentioned in the same breath. They aren't the same type or caliber of player at all.

if they sign 'em, then sign Tebow too. Make them share a locker.

what the hell does being gay have to do with playing DT????

Lets say if Hughes wants a big contract. Do you think the bills should sign Michael Sam? Yes i know he gay, but I honestly believe this kid is truly hungry to play in nfl. I also would like to think he would fit just right in our Dline. I would sign this kid and see how he does in training camp and pre season.

look at his combine #'s from last year. Guy is a product of the system in college. That said, I wouldn't mind him on the PS. Perhaps he just takes a few years to develop at the NFL level.

He will show just how well he has developed in the veteran combine next month.

Then by all means, buy yourself an NFL team and go out an hire him. It's that simple.

What great drama! I'm sure they'd make him RI's roommate in TC. Bring on the media! Det-det-da-da-la-da. Det-det-da-da-la-da. The Circus is in town.

Pretty much sums it up. People who bring up Sam as a possibility seem passionate about an agenda other than finding the best NFL caliber talent available to fit our (ever diminishing list) of needs.

Agenda of gay?

Aganda of passion?

Agenda of passionate gay?

Ha ha ha

Let me ask you this, if Andrew Luck were to come out as a gay Satanist, do you think he'd have a job? Of course he would, because he's a talented QB (despite what 4merper4mer would have you believe.)

I have never read these 2 words together!!!! Very funny.

I'll be calling my older brother that in 3 2 1. We both are funny and always call each other on funny things.

I hope this thread lasts the whole off season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yea, incognito and sam in the same room.. perception is everything, but i think incognito will be keeping a very low profile off the field.. really do not think that would be a problem, but i just think (in my opinion) sam is not NFL worthy..

Ha ha, that is a really good point. Whatever chance Richie has of being a reformed character would be significantly less with Sam in the locker room. The team decided to roll the dice on Incognito so they really need to try and help him succeed.

I thought he did fine for the Rams. He might be a good fit as back-up strong side LB, pass rusher, and part time special teams guy.

Not saying he is a difference maker but I thought he did enough in pre-season last year to get another camp invite somewhere.

Could be the anti-Incognito signing...

In watching the combine a year ago, he may have been the WORST lineman trying to convert to LB there. Has he suddenly learned to play strong-side LB ? :doh:

I think this could be a distraction in so many ways for the team ! If it was just about his ability as a football player in the NFL it would be different but we all know how the media has an agenda when ever some one of a alternate life style is involved with sports ...

I think it would be a good move but i don't see it happening , but what do i know i'm a Bills fan !!

As mentioned on Mike&Mike this morning, while other players are doing team work outs and the vet combine Michael Sam just signed up for Dancing with the Stars. Doesnt seem to be as committed to getting on a team as he says he is. No thanks.

And some people wanted him here... SMH

As mentioned on Mike&Mike this morning, while other players are doing team work outs and the vet combine Michael Sam just signed up for Dancing with the Stars. Doesnt seem to be as committed to getting on a team as he says he is. No thanks.

I've just lost all respect I had for him. Sexual orientation aside, he's using it for his own advantage. If he wanted to be "treated like any other player" he wouldn't be doing that.

I've just lost all respect I had for him. Sexual orientation aside, he's using it for his own advantage. If he wanted to be "treated like any other player" he wouldn't be doing that.

Since days leading up to the draft hes been posturing for a life after football. He knows that hes long shot to make his money playing ball and is doing what he can to stay relevant and maybe land a reality show or some crap. I won't blame a guy for taking the opportunity to make a buck.

Since days leading up to the draft hes been posturing for a life after football. He knows that hes long shot to make his money playing ball and is doing what he can to stay relevant and maybe land a reality show or some crap. I won't blame a guy for taking the opportunity to make a buck.

Yep. It won't be long before he is living on a boat with Chyna, Vern Troyer, Danny Bonaduce, Snow (the rapper), Nicole Eggert, Tom Green and Tara Lipinski.

saw nicole in some bad TV movie recently and doesn't look quite the same as she did in Baywatch. Or Charles in Charge for that matter. Tara has had some interesting plastic surgery.

Wait. Tara Lipinski? The figure skater?

That naughty little vixen.

Let me ask you this, and it's purely hypothetical, not making any accusations. If JJ Watt were to come out as gay, would it effect his value as a player? Is there anybody, other than a small vocal minority, who would honestly say "I don't want that [insert gay slur] on my team." The answer is, of couse not. He's a proven beast on the field, and an angel off. Michael Sam just isn't good enough to play I'm the NFL. Maybe he will be, and he proves us all wrong, then good for him.

Exactly. He's slow, small, and couldn't make two practice squads in St. Louis and Dallas. This is our strongest part of the team with our Defensive Line. I not only love the starters, but the depth in Wynn and Charles, and Lawson ( I'm including the OLB with the line ).

Then there are those points made about the distraction. We'll get more than enough national attention with Rex as our coach. You can already see it with the interviews at the combine, etc. like it or not, the Bills will get a lot of attention from ESPN, NFL Network, NFL Radio, and so on.

I wish Sam the best in life and hope he parlays his 15 minutes of fame into a nice career outside of football, in the entertainment business.

Let me ask you this, and it's purely hypothetical, not making any accusations. If JJ Watt were to come out as gay, would it effect his value as a player?

Unfortunately in discussions like this, logic often has no value. The narrative is what matters.

Sam is gay and out of the league. Therefore the NFL is homophobic. Identity trumps ability

Unfortunately in discussions like this, logic often has no value. The narrative is what matters.

Sam is gay and out of the league. Therefore the NFL is homophobic. Identity trumps ability

its impossible to know what the net effect of him being gay is: it may have gotten him more exposure with teams (with some even thinking theyd get positive press for giving him a chance), while others may have shied away thinking he wasnt worth the potential distraction. but given his college career, my hunch is that overall it hurt his chances as a marginal prospect. if he were the real deal with pro-bowl talent, he would have found a roster spot for sure

Edited by JTSP

its impossible to know what the net effect of him being gay is: it may have gotten him more exposure with teams, while others may have shied away. given his college career, my hunch is that overall it hurt his chances as a marginal prospect. but if he were the real deal with pro-bowl talent, he would have found a roster spot for sure

Exactly. Whether you like it or not, it's a distraction. What teams need to consider, is if the production on the field is worth it. With an established elite player, the pros of their on the field ability, leadership skills, etc, far outweigh the media circus that would follow.