Bills radio (Mike Schopp is awful)

tito1

We're spoiled? LOL

So, you'd rather listen to a morning show where one guy has no personality and the other uses obscure stats and Twitter to fill out segments because they don't know how to do a good show?

Or an afternoon show with a condescending prick and his partner who sounds like a marble-mouthed wino..

over Bob Mccown?

I think you're spoiled.

McCown is the one guy who's decent here. But its strange that you'd like him if you think Schopp is a "condescending prick". Bobcat is in a league of his own when it comes to condescension. Its quite funny at times, actually.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Why do they suck? One is a condescending, arrogant card-collecting geek whose tone, attitude, and disdain are un-listenable. The other is too afraid to have an opinion that differs from the geek because he's afraid he'll get the same treatment everyone else does... disgust and being dismissed and derided.

We're absolutely bereft of a single quality member of the media in this outside-the-top-50 media market with one newspaper and one sports radio channel.

I guess if I were Sullivan, Schopp, Parker, Gleason, etc I'd be miserable working in a minor market covering losing teams.

Your 2nd sentence is 100% correct. There's a bereft of talent in the market but too bad GR couldn't have someone other than a total wise-ass jerk as the main commentator.

Edited by AJ1

You know what really sucks on GR - their commercials! There's one for an asphalt company where the guy doesn't enunciate the name of it, they gave give no website or phone number and I bet they're wondering why nobody is calling them.

Now the one for Dr. Reeb has Rene Robert saying he would have been in a wheelchair if not for him, and a guy who sounds maybe 60 saying he loves to golf, and after Dr. Reeb did his magic, he shot a 75 - and he's 90 years old!

You know what really sucks on GR - their commercials! There's one for an asphalt company where the guy doesn't enunciate the name of it, they gave give no website or phone number and I bet they're wondering why nobody is calling them.

Now the one for Dr. Reeb has Rene Robert saying he would have been in a wheelchair if not for him, and a guy who sounds maybe 60 saying he loves to golf, and after Dr. Reeb did his magic, he shot a 75 - and he's 90 years old!

I have as much or more respect for old people than anyone but let's face it, being behind one on a golf course is agony. Did the codger mention his score for the second hole?

I don't listen very much in the morning, but it does seem that somebody told Howard to quit being so bland and acting like he's a million years old when I've listened lately. I thought it was just me.

I agree. I actually enjoy the morning show (I am out of the area but listen online or via the app) but one day I saw a photo of Howard Simon and I was shocked because I had this image of an obese 70 year old man in my head given how he used to talk... Edited by TheFunPolice

Wow...lots of crybabies on this board. Just don't listen if it bothers you that much.

Truth is, he's very good at what he does. Easily the best on that station. I would never call in to the show as I don't need to hear the sound of my own voice on the radio, but I agree with a lot of what he says. Even on things I don't, he provides good entertainment value.

And I find that a lot of what he says is the harsh truth and people just don't like to hear it. He's not paid to be a cheerleader. He gives credit where it's due, but nobody acknowledges it. He's been singing the praises of the defense all year, as they've earned it. He calls out the offense and the offensive philosophy, as they've earned it also.

You may not believe it, but people in Buffalo are spoiled when it comes to radio when you compare it to the stooges we have here in Toronto. We have two 24-hour sports radio stations and they are filled with people on par with the likes of Paul Hamilton (uninformed dinosaur) and Chris Brown (and his rose-coloured glasses).

Well, clearly you've missed, at least my, point.

This is entertainment. For us. Mocking them, as they smugly sit behind "the mic"(anybody remember that? :lol:). and believe it is they who are above us. That's the opposite of right.

Example: you have no idea how much pleasure I derive from the "(Hey guys) How're doing/How's it goin'?" callers annoying the afternoon guys. To this day, whenever a caller begins his call, with...what is pretty much how all Upstate NYers begin every conversation...Schopp now refuses to respond(but you can hear the seethe :lol:), and Bulldog says something in Mumblish...to try and move quickly past it.

As if time is a factor...for a talk show...that lasts 4 hours. :lol: This was a big deal for a while, and they would berate every "How's it goin'" caller, for simply speaking as we do, until somebody, I assume the boss, read what was posted here about it...and told them to STFU. The hissy ended the very next day.

Today, I laugh every time I hear a "How's it goin'" caller, because it still enrages them(you have to listen carefully). Why shouldn't I laugh? (Borrowed Gieco phrasing)What kind of nitwits throw a tantrum over hearing a WNY colloquialism...from WNY callers...that they are going to hear in every baseball card/pizza shop in WNY? :wacko: Or, we could just laugh, because, for all the wishful superiority these nitwits project? We are the ones who, by merely posting a few lines here...can force them into a corrective action meeting with their boss.

Thus, it is we, well, at least some of us, who are cruising at 30k above them.

For those of suggesting/dancing around the notion that WGR reads what is posted here? No need for dancing. I've run multiple experiments that proves it.

WGR commercials vary from barely passable to awful. This is one of those wealth vs. work things. WGR has an unending base of listeners, because of the Bills, Sabres, and our culture. Thus, they are wealthy. They own a renewable resource and the means of its refinement: information we need(F want). Thus, their work can be good or shoddy. It doesn't really matter. We'll sit through 20 minutes of bad radio, and worse commercials, just to get to the sports update.

I mean, I can't imagine representing my business, via WGR's "customized marketing campaigns", like the free association roofing dude does...randomly babbling about his 1 sport coat, or ripping off National Treasure(the movie...yeah, I got it, and no, it wasn't clever). :rolleyes: The dude sounds like he just took 3 monster hits off a bong, and it's...whatever comes to mind...something about water...and my roof. And, no, it didn't work: I only remember the bizarre, not the company.

Paul Hamilton is not a dinosaur. Paul Hamilton is one of the few things about WGR that allow the word "refinement" to be used in the same sentence.

The one thing I will say: the Mighty Taco commercials are the, rare, highlight. And, that's largely because they often parody WGR commercials. The "Get behind me...and stay there" spoof of the Scientology commercials were hilarious. And seriously, WTF was WGR doing running commercials for a cult? Those commercials were unintentionally hilarious...and so exploitable, hence Mighty Taco.

Mighty Taco, of all things, has to set professional standards for WGR, by shaming them via parody?

QB Bills: that, if nothing else, is why we make fun of WGR. Mighty Taco tends to have more gravitas.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Those Rott roofing are so horrible. So, is the Volkswagon of Orchard Park. A lot of them seem to be made by this weird marketing company. I guarantee they do that asphalt commercial that I have no idea the name of the company nor anything else except they want feel like they are choking on that sweater that grandmama made and they want to do nothing more than go in the store and pound a ginger ale................What?:

http://ofthesea.com/work/#audio

Oh, and I've loved Mighty Taco commercials forever. They are the best!

Do you mean the paving company that paved SouthGate plaza's parking lot this summer?

Do you mean the paving company that paved SouthGate plaza's parking lot this summer?

I don't know. I don't know their name! I thought they were saying Fulman Asphalt, but there is no such thing.

Is Southgate a mess?

I don't know. I don't know their name! I thought they were saying Fulman Asphalt, but there is no such thing.

Is Southgate a mess?

It's Thomann asphalt.

It's kind of funny (or is it?).

The more you guys criticize on-air talent in WNY and lame advertising presumably created by small WNY ad agencies, the more you basically simply criticize....WNY.

It's a small provincial town.

The talent is working elsewhere.

Get over it.

Edited by Stopthepain

It's Thomann asphalt.

The more you guys criticize on-air talent in WNY and lame advertising presumably created by small WNY ad agencies, the more you basically simply criticize....WNY.

Get over it.

That's quite a leap. From criticizing annoying AF advertising I'm criticizing WNY.

How do you even know the name and correct spelling of that company?

And by giving credit to Mighty Tacos commercials I'm boosting WNY!

It's Thomann asphalt.

Get over it.

So which ad agency do you work for?

So which ad agency do you work for?

LOL.

By the way, how do I know it's "THOMANN" ???

1) I have a brain and know about this miracle product called "GOOGLE".

2) I went with the poster's comment that he thought it was called "FULMAN" and created a google search for "FULMAN ASPHALT WNY" and guess what? This turned up THOMANN ASPHALT in 2 seconds with their awkward slogan "ALTOGETHER THOROUGH" which I have heard 100 times during the WGR-550 commercial....so I knew it was them.

It's more fun to B word and complain though, rather than spend literally 3 seconds at Google. "I can't even tell their name!"

In all seriousness: WNY is a small provincial town. The really clever national advertising is being created in NYC and elsewhere. I hope that isn't a revelation to you guys.

The really slick, smart, good sports talk on-air personalities are....uh...not working in WNY.

Is that a revelation too?

Schopp is a dope. He spews anger and hate if someone confronts him on his stupidity. Bulldog is ok.... he always sounds like he has had a couple of beers game day like a true fan :beer:

Sort of like Rick Jenerate, in the 1990's Rick was always hammered in the 3rd. :beer::beer:

Edited by Iraq Vet

And, do you think Fulman Asphalt (don't forget to add the WNY) comes up with Thomann because other people have googled it, not knowing the name, since the ahole never enunciates it and never spells it, never gives out a number, etc.

By the way, just when you think you've made it through a Cellino and Barnes commercial, they immediately play another. Is it just to up the annoyance factor?

Well, I'm not using them anyway. I'm going with the Scam Law Firm. At least that commercial has truth in advertising.

The sirens were mythological creatures that led unwary sailors to their untimely demise.

If you hear a high pitched wail from your shingles, better call us for a new roof.

When you call, I'm the one in the herringbone, protecting pilgrims from icicles on their way to Jersusalem.

Shield your home.

Edited by Momma Pecoraro

The sirens were mythological creatures that led unwary sailors to their untimely demise.

If you hear a high pitched wail from your shingles, better call us for a new roof.

When you call, I'm the one in the herringbone, protecting pilgrims from icicles on their way to Jersusalem.

Shield your home.

Yes! :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Who thinks up this crazy crap?

yeah I want something new , something original , someone to throw the ball down field, someone who doesn't run, who goes for on 4th down all the time

EVERY FING DAY

has he ever heard of Mouse davis and the run and shoot, that worked well for about a minute

He puts the Anal in Analytics

Funny - I was just wondering this morning whether the roof guy writes his own loopy copy. I imagine that he does.

Went to school with a Thomann. Not sure if that's why I like their ads, but I do.

My initial reaction to the VW of OP ads was strongly negative, but they're grown on me to the point where I genuinely enjoy the jingle.

I think I've got GR Stockholm Syndrome.

This is really still a thread? "I love Sal because he is still young and positive all the time and has not grown bitter. I hate schopp because he's a realist and tells us what it is/what we don't want to hear... wah wah wah..."

He puts the Anal in Analytics

I'll give you that. He has definitely cheesed out NHL advanced stats for me.

Shield your home.

So absolutely f'ing bizarre. I listen online most days and between the insanely bizarre William c. Rott and son commercials and flo and her stupid kazoo- maybe that's why I don't mind schopp like the rest of you.

So absolutely f'ing bizarre. I listen online most days and between the insanely bizarre William c. Rott and son commercials and flo and her stupid kazoo- maybe that's why I don't mind schopp like the rest of you.

I f'ing hate the William C. Rott and Son commercials--- phony folksy BS. Who is this appealing to in WNY? And yet I can't get their damned jingle out of my head...

This is really still a thread? "I love Sal because he is still young and positive all the time and has not grown bitter. I hate schopp because he's a realist and tells us what it is/what we don't want to hear... wah wah wah..."

I'll give you that. He has definitely cheesed out NHL advanced stats for me.

Why is a strike bad in baseball but good in bowwwwling....

LOL.

By the way, how do I know it's "THOMANN" ???

1) I have a brain and know about this miracle product called "GOOGLE".

2) I went with the poster's comment that he thought it was called "FULMAN" and created a google search for "FULMAN ASPHALT WNY" and guess what? This turned up THOMANN ASPHALT in 2 seconds with their awkward slogan "ALTOGETHER THOROUGH" which I have heard 100 times during the WGR-550 commercial....so I knew it was them.

It's more fun to B word and complain though, rather than spend literally 3 seconds at Google. "I can't even tell their name!"

In all seriousness: WNY is a small provincial town. The really clever national advertising is being created in NYC and elsewhere. I hope that isn't a revelation to you guys.

The really slick, smart, good sports talk on-air personalities are....uh...not working in WNY.

Is that a revelation too?

So, you've heard the commercial hundreds of times, yet had no idea what the name of the company was and had to do a convoluted google search on it. That's really effective advertising.

Good thing they have such an easy name to pick out of the ad like Thomann. I've heard of exactly zero people in my life with that name.

No phone number, a murky name, no website mentioned. I just hate stupidity and it drives me nuts hearing it all the time.

Not to mention what Metz above called the Rott ads - absolutely friggin bizarre. I hear it and it's like nails on the chalkboard.

15 years of covering a loser has, understandably, turned them into something ugly i would imagine. kind of like the rest of us. kind of inevitable. look in the mirror. the media is supposed to reflect the audience's deep down impressions , not just the homer fan stuff, right? i think they do that. sad, but it is what it is until the franchise turns it around and is a winner. people like winners. not losers.

Edited by 8and8Forever

I for one, won't be shocked if there is a GR shakeup of some kind, before next football season. I realize, Pegula does not own GR55, but he has commented in the past on the negativity of the station as it pertained to their coverage of the Sabres, and I wouldn't be shocked if, to some degree, Pegula empathies with Doug Marrone, and the role that the local media is perceived to have played in his decision to opt out of his contract. Pegula can't tell GR who and who not to hire, but he owns the only two pro sports teams in town...he can have some influence.

I personally don't hate any of the GR guys, though I do find their repetitive discussions less than good radio. Not sure exactly what I want, I just don't want what they are selling. This past summer, I was so amped up for the football season (more so than in a number of years) but about a week or two into training camp, I just couldn't take listening any more. The topic of discussion on the morning show as well as the drive time show seemed to be "EJ sucks"...they were killing my enthusiasm for the season by the minute. I know it isn't their job to be a PR machine for the Bills or Sabres, but each host dwelling on their own particular pet gripe is just tough to listen to.