Bills radio (Mike Schopp is awful)

tito1

Hey guys - out of town fan here from Ohio. I'm so damn sick of Mike Schopp and Bulldog post game. Are there any other radio station I can stream to listen to Buffalo sports?

I literally can't take these dbags anymore. I need another station that I can listen to Bills talk without these aholes

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys - out of town fan here from Ohio. I'm so damn sick of Mike Schopp and Bulldog post game. Are there any other radio station I can stream to listen to Buffalo sports?

I literally can't take these dbags anymore. I need another station that I can listen to Bills talk without these aholes

i think there is one on ROC but haven't checked it out yet. Anyone know what the channel is?

We are sick of them in Buffalo too. These guys have been doing it too long through a lot of miserable Bills seasons and their attitudes reflect that. Sal is better than both of those bozos. Time to get some new guys in there with a fresh perspective

I am sick and tired of people complaining about schopp and the bulldog and not telling us what they don't like about them. I happen to think they're pretty good. They have to talk about sports 20+ hours a week in a 2 sport town. I can assure you that the drive time guys in Denver are both less knowledgeable and more annoying than schopp and the bulldog. Without listening let me guess- he is not enthused about the win and he can't believe marrone punted on that 4th and 1. Do you disagree with him?

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I am sick and tired of people complaining about schopp and the bulldog and not telling us what they don't like about them. I happen to think they're pretty good. They have to talk about sports 20+ hours a week in a 2 sport town. I can assure you that the drive time guys in Denver are both less knowledgeable and more annoying than schopp and the bulldog. Without listening let me guess- he is not enthused about the win and he can't believe marrone punted on that 4th and 1. Do you disagree with him?

Edit: " ... in a 2 sport town [in which neither team rarely presents itself as a serious contender for a championship]."

I agree with most of what Schopp says, so his intolerance for low information callers doesn't bother me so much. Actually, I kind of enjoy when he jabs at the "they gotta bench that Kyle Horton"/"our O-coordinator needs to stop running 95% of the time on 1st down" types.

Edited by MRM33064

ya the whole GR my opinion is right although it's not based on anything is a joke. As ive said negative radio is the easiest to do especially when your not really a pro- ding! WGR

I'd say their opinion is based on 15 years of the Bills going from bad to OK, rinse and repeat. Some people can't handle the truth and want cheerleaders, not opinions.

Why do they suck? One is a condescending, arrogant card-collecting geek whose tone, attitude, and disdain are un-listenable. The other is too afraid to have an opinion that differs from the geek because he's afraid he'll get the same treatment everyone else does... disgust and being dismissed and derided.

We're absolutely bereft of a single quality member of the media in this outside-the-top-50 media market with one newspaper and one sports radio channel.

I guess if I were Sullivan, Schopp, Parker, Gleason, etc I'd be miserable working in a minor market covering losing teams.

Schopp is awful. I've been out of town for years and have stopped listening for the most part because of him.

I don't like him because he is negative, unpleasant and clearly uninformed with just about every word.

Insufferable hypocritical ignorant of the most important sport to Buffalo fans (he admits football isn't his game and it's showing) who has gotten worse because he caught 'snark disease' from the twitter verse. Example (since u need these bc apparently 80 percent of Buffalo fans hating them isn't enough) his 1st post game tweet to introduce the show was to fawn over Beckham to insinuate that we screwed up.

We get it Mike. Prick.

He's garbage.

I'd say their opinion is based on 15 years of the Bills going from bad to OK, rinse and repeat. Some people can't handle the truth and want cheerleaders, not opinions.

And some people, including Dope and Bullfrog, want to prove they are smarter than everyone else with negativity and arrogance. I would hardly call what Schoop does "truth". I am sick of the act.

Jacksonville Tennessee Washington St Louis and Philly is who Beckham has played in his last 5 games. How nice.

Sammy has played pretty much every top pass D in the league....Revis twice and the Dolphins (very good pass D) also twice...

With garbage QB play.

Beckham is great. He's going to be.

Pretty confident that Sammy is too. It's a nice luxury that one of them has a 2 time super bowl QB throwing him the ball in a dam good offense run by an actual NFL OC.

Cleveland can have and blow the 20th pick.

Edited by Big Blitz

Murph is the best but he works for the Bills so he's a little biased and probably can't overstep his bounds when stating his personal opinions. too bad, we need someone who is as good as Murph but not afraid to ruffle some feathers from time to time when needed

Don't get me wrong, schopp irks me sometimes too. My biggest issue with him is that he overdoes the hockey analytics thing and is very smug about it. Why don't you try watching a maple leafs game instead of telling everyone they're not any good because their puck possession is 2% lower than average. That being said, I think his takes are generally smart and I agree with him much more often than I don't.

Long time listener, first time caller.

Schopp was insufferable today on the post-game. He was a jerk to everyone that called in. He insisted that the win somehow shouldn't count against the Pats AFC home win streak because the Pats "chose" not to win (totally disregarding that they lost the 1st half with Brady) but never considered that the Pats have won several similar games during that streak. So the wins count for the Pats streak, but the loss in a similar situation shouldn't? What a d*ck. Then he says he doesn't want to discuss whether or not the game meant anything, but keeps resetting the point on his own.

The game may have not meant anything, but how many of these "meaningless" week 17 games have we gone out and gotten crushed? How did you feel after those games? I don't feel like we won the Superbowl today, but it beats a kick in the nuts. Schopp apparently would have preferred the kick.

Give me Sal any day, at least you can have a discussion.

Edited by HarryLime

I'm pretty neutral on them but if asked to rate them I'd say they're sub-par at best. Reasons...

-voices made for print

-Time. If your aren't a transcendent talent, 10+ years in a mid-size market is too long IMO. And these guys are transcendent in terms of talent. Their shtick has gotten stale.

-interactions with callers. What's the point of taking callers if a caller ends his/her take and you dimly say "ok" and move on to the next caller rinse, wash repeat. That's bad, awkward radio IMO.

-Rambling, incoherent points. We know who I'm talking about.

-I've got no problem if the host is kinda a di#k. Just let this not be your overriding attribute.

-Callers and listeners are what brings the advertisers in which in return pays your salary. Seem like you enjoy your job once in a while.

These are a few things I've picked up on over the years. I'll be honest, with work and what not, I don't get a chance to listen much anymore so these might be a bit dated. If so, my apologies.

The OP must be referring to Schopp saying the Bills win was a joke because the Pats laid down, and anyone who thinks the win meant anything is pathetic. Tom Brady dropping f-bombs in the sideline tells me he wasn't laying down. We have played lots of "meaningless" games against the Pats and have lost them all. You can bet Dickhead Schopp would have lots to say if we had lost.

Jacksonville Tennessee Washington St Louis and Philly is who Beckham has played in his last 5 games. How nice.

Sammy has played pretty much every top pass D in the league....Revis twice and the Dolphins (very good pass D) also twice...

With garbage QB play.

Beckham is great. He's going to be.

Pretty confident that Sammy is too. It's a nice luxury that one of them has a 2 time super bowl QB throwing him the ball in a dam good offense run by an actual NFL OC.

Cleveland can have and blow the 20th pick.

Well, Sammy gets next year who Beckam played this year (AFC South/NFC East). Lets see how he does.

Why do they suck? One is a condescending, arrogant card-collecting geek whose tone, attitude, and disdain are un-listenable. The other is too afraid to have an opinion that differs from the geek because he's afraid he'll get the same treatment everyone else does... disgust and being dismissed and derided.

We're absolutely bereft of a single quality member of the media in this outside-the-top-50 media market with one newspaper and one sports radio channel.

I guess if I were Sullivan, Schopp, Parker, Gleason, etc I'd be miserable working in a minor market covering losing teams.

You said it well.

The only thing I like about Schopp is that he is confident in his opinions. Too many of the other WGR guys fill their comments with "perhaps," "maybe," "kind of," etc.

Having lived in New York Boston, D.C., and the Philly area over the last 27 years, I can say that the difference in sports-radio quality really shows between a major and a minor market.

Schopp's brand is to be insulting to listeners. There are guys who do that in the other markets who are at least still listenable because they have enough wit and humor. Schopp is just plain painful to listen to.

We are sick of them in Buffalo too. These guys have been doing it too long through a lot of miserable Bills seasons and their attitudes reflect that. Sal is better than both of those bozos. Time to get some new guys in there with a fresh perspective

If I were the General Manager of WGR I would do this: conduct a poll on The Stadium Wall of which posters would be the best to host a Bills pre-game and post-game show. Then find out if the top vote-getters are available, and if so, hire them, even if they have to call in remotely. Regardless of whether they have a good radio voice or not, they would be an improvement over the current broadcasters. Whose perspectives on the game would you rather listen to, Bill from NYC's, or Schopp's?

You knew he had the show planned all week. Bills were in a lose-lose situation. If they lost, well then, thats wht always goes down in NE. The Bills win, NE was was just trying to get through the game and it was a gimme for the Bills. Was easy for him to script this outcome.

Pretty much what a certain Snooze reporter does.

Edited by dhg

I listened to Schopp today and wished I had that time back. IMO, he's a negative Nancy. He was acting as if the Bills lost today.

In terms of negativity, also see: Howard Simon, Jerry Sullivan, Tim Graham, Bob Matthews, and Sal Maiorana.. Whew, that's just about everyone that covers the Bills.

You are going to have to listen to someone that works for the organization if you want that BS positive stuff (i.e. Ralph's personal lackey Chris Brown).

Edited by ldandria

The dude is a straight up jerkoff to everyone - that's why. I'm guessing he got his a$$ kicked a lot as a kid, just a hunch. Regardless, I enjoy a victory (even tho it didn't mean much) and I want to listen to some bills talk that isn't focused on why it was total garbage. The only thing that's garbage is his post game and 3-7 show each day.

Hi...here's what I can't stand about the post game show with those guys and quite a few of the people at WGR (besides Sal)....

#1.... They are anti-homers meaning that they try really hard to not be fans... I think it's nice when we have people on the radio that are happy about the win once in a while. WGR tries really hard to be the exact opposite. So much so, I find it hard to believe they are the flagship station. You can tell that Murph and Kelso get tired of their act.

#2.... They always operate out of the negative. It is easy to understand why they do this...2/3 of the most emotional words in the dictionary are negative. People tend to be negative ... human nature sometimes allows people to not want good things to happen too others or to enjoy it when others suffer or lose. WGR and these guys prey on this component of human nature. It's tiresome to listen to.. the constant negativity is brutal.

#3... As radio hosts go they kind of just suck...They are not friendly...when you question them they berate you and hang up on you and then talk about you afterwards when you are no longer around to bring up a counter point. A few weeks ago they hung up and made fun of a guy who was basically saying that he was glad that Van Miller showed Murph how to be so passionate during his play by play calls. They are pretty rude most of the time.

#4.... They try to talk above you ( especially Schoop) and act like they are much smarter than you. Schoop goes out of his way to try and sound smarter than the average listener. Today I heard him talking about a lack of cause and effect data on the carry over of a week 17 win and the beginning of the 2015 season. Like people are doing doctoral disserations on this. Culture and attitude are not measured like that. Schoop actually said that he would have much rather had the Bills get annihilated then to win with Brady on the Bench in the second half. Then he said that most of his listeners called in and said the same.

#5 ..... Schoop acts like he is so cutting edge because of his professed love of analytics. Again, he tries to put the listener in a situation where the listener feels like they are not as smart as him. He often comes up with great stats and data. Most people know that stats and data can be manipulated to fit and support many points of view and arguments. Many of his arguments take his stats out of the context of the game. Some things aren't measured in sports, like the emotional impact impact of specific plays. Schoop himself has never had to make a football decision or be responsible for one as a coach. I have no problems with analytics only how smug and easy he thinks decisions are when he doesn't have to make them or be responsible.

#6...... Joe Buscaglia.... I am absolutely tired of this guy too. Like Schoop comes off as smug and a know- it -all. Doesn't like the Bills (Packers fan) and goes way over the top in trying to not be perceived as a fan of the team or if they win. I often get the feeling that he is glad they lose.

In closing... I think one of the biggest complaints is that people want to celebrate the wins when they listen to the post game. When Brent Axe and others used to do the post game you could celebrate and it was fun. WGR and these guys have sucked the life out of any sort of positivity after a game again preying on the negativity. They try way to hard to be objective and in turn are actually the opposite. Just my thoughts.

Hi...here's what I can't stand about the post game show with those guys and quite a few of the people at WGR (besides Sal)....

#1.... They are anti-homers meaning that they try really hard to not be fans... I think it's nice when we have people on the radio that are happy about the win once in a while. WGR tries really hard to be the exact opposite. So much so, I find it hard to believe they are the flagship station. You can tell that Murph and Kelso get tired of their act.

#2.... They always operate out of the negative. It is easy to understand why they do this...2/3 of the most emotional words in the dictionary are negative. People tend to be negative ... human nature sometimes allows people to not want good things to happen too others or to enjoy it when others suffer or lose. WGR and these guys prey on this component of human nature. It's tiresome to listen to.. the constant negativity is brutal.

#3... As radio hosts go they kind of just suck...They are not friendly...when you question them they berate you and hang up on you and then talk about you afterwards when you are no longer around to bring up a counter point. A few weeks ago they hung up and made fun of a guy who was basically saying that he was glad that Van Miller showed Murph how to be so passionate during his play by play calls. They are pretty rude most of the time.

#4.... They try to talk above you ( especially Schoop) and act like they are much smarter than you. Schoop goes out of his way to try and sound smarter than the average listener. Today I heard him talking about a lack of cause and effect data on the carry over of a week 17 win and the beginning of the 2015 season. Like people are doing doctoral disserations on this. Culture and attitude are not measured like that. Schoop actually said that he would have much rather had the Bills get annihilated then to win with Brady on the Bench in the second half. Then he said that most of his listeners called in and said the same.

#5 ..... Schoop acts like he is so cutting edge because of his professed love of analytics. Again, he tries to put the listener in a situation where the listener feels like they are not as smart as him. He often comes up with great stats and data. Most people know that stats and data can be manipulated to fit and support many points of view and arguments. Many of his arguments take his stats out of the context of the game. Some things aren't measured in sports, like the emotional impact impact of specific plays. Schoop himself has never had to make a football decision or be responsible for one as a coach. I have no problems with analytics only how smug and easy he thinks decisions are when he doesn't have to make them or be responsible.

#6...... Joe Buscaglia.... I am absolutely tired of this guy too. Like Schoop comes off as smug and a know- it -all. Doesn't like the Bills (Packers fan) and goes way over the top in trying to not be perceived as a fan of the team or if they win. I often get the feeling that he is glad they lose.

In closing... I think one of the biggest complaints is that people want to celebrate the wins when they listen to the post game. When Brent Axe and others used to do the post game you could celebrate and it was fun. WGR and these guys have sucked the life out of any sort of positivity after a game again preying on the negativity. They try way to hard to be objective and in turn are actually the opposite. Just my thoughts.

Dude - I could not agree more on Joe B. That douche packer fan always tries to act like and is treated like an expert. Has this skinny prick ever played a single down in his life? He talks and uses all these words like he knows his sht, but I see right through it. He watches a bunch of games, gets to know all the players names, and then acts like he's some expert analysis. I can tell he secretly likes when Buffalo loses.

Mr. Draft expert was being used and abused as he was being fed how much buffalo was in love with Matt Barkley and Nassib in first round that year. Dude is a nobody

He definitely puts the anal in analytics

I'm pretty neutral on them but if asked to rate them I'd say they're sub-par at best. Reasons...

-voices made for print

-Time. If your aren't a transcendent talent, 10+ years in a mid-size market is too long IMO. And these guys are transcendent in terms of talent. Their shtick has gotten stale.

-interactions with callers. What's the point of taking callers if a caller ends his/her take and you dimly say "ok" and move on to the next caller rinse, wash repeat. That's bad, awkward radio IMO.

-Rambling, incoherent points. We know who I'm talking about.

-I've got no problem if the host is kinda a di#k. Just let this not be your overriding attribute.

-Callers and listeners are what brings the advertisers in which in return pays your salary. Seem like you enjoy your job once in a while.

These are a few things I've picked up on over the years. I'll be honest, with work and what not, I don't get a chance to listen much anymore so these might be a bit dated. If so, my apologies.

I'd say you are pretty spot on.

I try not to turn them on because i refuse to support their show. When we are in heart of the football season its hard not to listen to football talk though.

The OP must be referring to Schopp saying the Bills win was a joke because the Pats laid down, and anyone who thinks the win meant anything is pathetic. Tom Brady dropping f-bombs in the sideline tells me he wasn't laying down. We have played lots of "meaningless" games against the Pats and have lost them all. You can bet Dickhead Schopp would have lots to say if we had lost.

I didn't even listen to Schopp today but you are clearly oversimplifying what I'm sure he said. That win was pathetic. If they would've showed any sort of balls and went for the jugular in the second half and scored another TD or two, myself and, I'm sure, Mike Schopp would probably feel much better about the win today. Excuse us for not doing cartwheels. If that Pats product was their team every week, they would've gone 5-11 at best.

In terms of negativity, also see: Howard Simon, Jerry Sullivan, Tim Graham, Bob Matthews, and Sal Maiorana.. Whew, that's just about everyone that covers the Bills.

You are going to have to listen to someone that works for the organization if you want that BS positive stuff (i.e. Ralph's personal lackey Chris Brown).

I'm expecting everyone to be positive all the time, just not expecting a commentator to be as negative as Schopp was especially since the Bills won the game today.

You knew he had the show planned all week. Bills were in a lose-lose situation. If they lost, well then, thats wht always goes down in NE. The Bills win, NE was was just trying to get through the game and it was a gimme for the Bills. Was easy for him to script this outcome.

Pretty much what a certain Snooze reporter does.

See what I just wrote. Every game is not as simple as win/lose. You could go into New England and lose 28-27 with a full New England squad and walk away with your heads held high. You could host Jacksonville and bumble your way to a cheesy win kinda like they did against Minnesota this year. This was a GARBAGE win today and they should be embarrassed with their offensive play and lack of innovation in the second half. The defense was great and I bet Schopp acknowledged that.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Long time listener, first time caller.

Schopp was insufferable today on the post-game. He was a jerk to everyone that called in. He insisted that the win somehow shouldn't count against the Pats AFC home win streak because the Pats "chose" not to win (totally disregarding that they lost the 1st half with Brady) but never considered that the Pats have won several similar games during that streak. So the wins count for the Pats streak, but the loss in a similar situation shouldn't? What a d*ck. Then he says he doesn't want to discuss whether or not the game meant anything, but keeps resetting the point on his own.

The game may have not meant anything, but how many of these "meaningless" week 17 games have we gone out and gotten crushed? How did you feel after those games? I don't feel like we won the Superbowl today, but it beats a kick in the nuts. Schopp apparently would have preferred the kick.

Give me Sal any day, at least you can have a discussion.

So you are saying that the Pats played their starters against our backups in a game that was meaningless for us and beat us during the streak? I can't recall those times.

If you are saying that the pats beat our starters with their backups, then yes, that should count during the streak because even our best wasn't good enough for their second best.

Don't kid yourself. The game was meaningless...basically a preseason game where we didn't pull the starters. You learned nothing about our team today. The defense was good against Brady, but he barely played. Orton was OK until he made a mistake then everyone freaked out and went super conservative. How the hell could we not get Watkins to 1000 yards when he got 40+ yards on the first drive. He only needed 35 yards for the rest of the game. Fred jackson was fred jackson - totally ineffective.

We still need a qb, a line, a real rb, abother wr and a te.

I didn't even listen to Schopp today but you are clearly oversimplifying what I'm sure he said. That win was pathetic. If they would've showed any sort of balls and went for the jugular in the second half and scored another TD or two, myself and, I'm sure, Mike Schopp would probably feel much better about the win today. Excuse us for not doing cartwheels. If that Pats product was their team every week, they would've gone 5-11 at best.

Hi, Mike.

Since you didn't listen to the show maybe you should not assume.

The Bills can't control who Belichick plays. All they can do is beat who they are facing. Don't forget we were missing Dareus and Brady still couldn't get a TD.

No one is saying this was the Super Bowl but it's a nice win. The Bills have played the Pats in many meaningless season finales and lost all of them till today.

So excuse the f##k out of me for enjoying a win. I'm with Kyle Williams who said for the first time in his career he's going home with a winning record. Good for him. Good for all of them.

Promo, my good friend, you have hit the nail on the head per usual! Schopp's absolutely demeaning attitude toward every caller was especially ridiculous given his take on today's game. He goes on and on about how he'd rather the Bills have lost this game, but how would THAT post game have sounded. Had the Bills lost in that scenario that would somehow make things better? You can only play the opponent in front of you. It might not be the greatest win ever, but it's better than laying another egg out there. And we've seen Bills teams over this drought do just that in these situations.

Aside from today's nonsensical point of view from Schopp, his schtick got old long ago. If you call his show, he either completely disregards you or confronts you to let you know what an idiot you are. Clearly in his mind, no one caller has risen to his superior level of intellect and would ever be remotely capable of adding an interesting take to the conversation. For this reason, YE OLE, would never bother calling in and would gladly welcome any and all alternatives for some good Bills talk.

So you are saying that the Pats played their starters against our backups in a game that was meaningless for us and beat us during the streak? I can't recall those times.

If you are saying that the pats beat our starters with their backups, then yes, that should count during the streak because even our best wasn't good enough for their second best.

Don't kid yourself. The game was meaningless...basically a preseason game where we didn't pull the starters. You learned nothing about our team today. The defense was good against Brady, but he barely played. Orton was OK until he made a mistake then everyone freaked out and went super conservative. How the hell could we not get Watkins to 1000 yards when he got 40+ yards on the first drive. He only needed 35 yards for the rest of the game. Fred jackson was fred jackson - totally ineffective.

We still need a qb, a line, a real rb, abother wr and a te.

Brady played the entire first half. And looked poor. Is that what constitutes "barely?" I barely ate a birthday cake this afternoon.

Other posters have already stated the multitude of reasons why they suck -- but if you disagree I challenge you to listen to any other market -- literally any other market -- and compare. The on air talent at WGR are the bottom of the barrel in terms of entertainment, knowledge of the sports they're covering (seriously, some don't even know the rosters of the local teams let alone the larger league issues), and almost every one has a terrible personality on air and a worse voice.

They're GARBAGE -- unlike the win today which was not garbage no matter what you think. 9-7 is a major difference than 8-8 -- especially when it came in a place they haven't won in 11 years. To think otherwise is to hate just to hate. It's not novel, nor is it illuminating -- both of which a talk radio host should be every day.

See what I just wrote. Every game is not as simple as win/lose. You could go into New England and lose 28-27 with a full New England squad and walk away with your heads held high. You could host Jacksonville and bumble your way to a cheesy win kinda like they did against Minnesota this year. This was a GARBAGE win today and they should be embarrassed with their offensive play and lack of innovation in the second half. The defense was great and I bet Schopp acknowledged that.

You're crazy. There are no garbage wins in the NFL, especially not against the *pats on the road with two of our best defenders on the shelf and a pop warner offense at the helm. Criticize elements of the win, sure, but to write it off as garbage shows your own bias and lack of awareness. It does not surprise me that the idiots on the post game felt like you do -- it's what makes them terrible on air talents.