Bills radio (Mike Schopp is awful)

tito1

I can't remember where I first heard it but it always struck me as funny.

On the topic of Schopp, I did enjoy listening to him ask Paul Hamilton "are you surprised, though?" about 5 times in a row about Incognito. What an interview!

"Do you have any questions for me?" :blink: Edited by PromoTheRobot

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where I live I get to listen to Dan Lebatard on the way home, he's just as bad. He has a weekly segmant of love advise from Marcelous Wiley, and about every two weeks, he has the head zoo keeper from the Miami zoo on talking about mating habits of some turtle.

I agree, I do find that funny how many threads there are about a guy that everyone hates to listen too. The station managers at WGR could care less if he's liked, just that he's talked about. We do a great job here of helping him keep his job.

Interesting on how everyone HATES Schopp and wants him off the air, yet this thread is 12 pages long with "did ya hear him today?!"

Actually I think they all follow the same trend. They want to show that sports means very little in the overall scheme of things. Yeah it's great to be a fan on Sunday for three hours, but the rest of the week there are more important things in life than sports. That's what you should be focused on according to these guys so they talk as little about sports as they can to prove that point.

There are many out there who'd agree with them, however very few of them if any are the types of people who then post on team message boards like we all do. Not that I disagree with most here, but we're not the most objective audiance to crtic him as we all want sports 24/7

Sorry Mike, nothing personal. You'd make a good morning show host on a non sports channel. But you're not cut out for sports.

Schopp is just bitter from covering Buffalo sports through this drought....

Now a guy like John Murphy is tailor made for a winning team. WHEN (not if) the Bills start winning that show is going to be awesome!

Also on the subject of WGR, imagine being Kevin Sylvester trying to talk hockey while Andrew Peters stutters and talks over you for two hours throughout these past seasons of Sabres futility. Those shows much feel like they are 5 hours long (it is literally unlistenable radio)

I am in my car most of the day for work so naturally being a giant sports fan I listen to WGR.. From 10:00-12:00 I am listening to anything but WGR. Hockey Hotline is the most brutal show ever. Kevin is flat out rude to a lot of the callers and condescending to his listeners. He thinks he is some sort of hockey genius and needs to dumb things down for his listeners while talking to them like children.

Peters has some insightful knowledge but if it were up to him, McDavid and Eichel would spend 3 years in the AHL before getting a chance to make the NHL and Matt Ellis would lead the league in ice time. He also pretty much lost all credibility last summer when suggesting the Sabres trade their 2015 first for Ryan Johannsen. Just a brutal listen.

Edited by Proteus

God, that is so stupid! Way to put your guest in an awkward position.

Funny this is brought up. I have never heard anyone say anything like this other than Mike Schopp.

I have heard him say this seemingly thousands of times. Maybe once or twice someone has said something in response other than "NO" and that's only when it is a decent guest trying to accommodate Mike so as to break up the awkwardness of the question. ESPN's John Clayton for example will sometimes try to be cute and ask something about the Sabres, knowing nothing about hockey.

I have always wondered why Mike does this. It is like some communications professor who never actually broadcasted told his students (including Mike) to do this many years ago in school.

It is also strange that Mike continues to do this, even though it creates an awkward moment 99.99% of the time.

For years, Schopp would interview Darcy Regier on Fridays before a Sabres home game.

Mike would always end by saying "Thanks Darcy. Do you have any questions for us?"

And Darcy would say "Nope. Keep up the good work" and that would be that.

It was a bizarre sort of ritual.

I find this "any questions for us?" thing to be strange.

It is also like taking your car to the mechanic for service, the service advisor telling you what is wrong with your car, why, and how much it will cost to fix. Then he asks you "Would you like to look at my car now?"

I actually think he thinks it's funny.............The first time I heard it, I thought it was pretty funny - because it was with somebody like Joe Montana or something, and the joke being of course, he has no questions for me. He doesn't even know me..........(No idea if the first time I heard it was the first time he did it). But, now to do it all the time - it's not funny and it makes things awkward. Stupid way to end an interview.

Schopp is just bitter from covering Buffalo sports through this drought....

Now a guy like John Murphy is tailor made for a winning team. WHEN (not if) the Bills start winning that show is going to be awesome!

Also on the subject of WGR, imagine being Kevin Sylvester trying to talk hockey while Andrew Peters stutters and talks over you for two hours throughout these past seasons of Sabres futility. Those shows much feel like they are 5 hours long (it is literally unlistenable radio)

Agreed. He catches a lot of flack because he's rarely if ever critical of the team. People don't realize that it's just his job, as he is literally working for the team as he does it.

On the topic of Schopp, I did enjoy listening to him ask Paul Hamilton "are you surprised, though?" about 5 times in a row about Incognito. What an interview!

it was like fingernails on a chalkboard

Funny this is brought up. I have never heard anyone say anything like this other than Mike Schopp.

I have heard him say this seemingly thousands of times. Maybe once or twice someone has said something in response other than "NO" and that's only when it is a decent guest trying to accommodate Mike so as to break up the awkwardness of the question. ESPN's John Clayton for example will sometimes try to be cute and ask something about the Sabres, knowing nothing about hockey.

I have always wondered why Mike does this. It is like some communications professor who never actually broadcasted told his students (including Mike) to do this many years ago in school.

It is also strange that Mike continues to do this, even though it creates an awkward moment 99.99% of the time.

For years, Schopp would interview Darcy Regier on Fridays before a Sabres home game.

Mike would always end by saying "Thanks Darcy. Do you have any questions for us?"

It is also like taking your car to the mechanic for service, the service advisor telling you what is wrong with your car, why, and how much it will cost to fix. Then he asks you "Would you like to look at my car now?"

I think saying that is Schopp's way of being ironic. It's his schtick. Schopp's train of thought gets derailed by some random thought and he riffs on it, admiring his intellect for coming up with it. Another golden example is when he says "...I think I believe that." :doh: The guy sees himself as some kind of anti-sports talk guy, above it all. His passions are tennis and baseball cards. He's such an iconoclast he even hates the teams he's supposed to cover.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I think saying that is Schopp's way of being ironic. It's his schtick. Schopp's train of thought gets derailed by some random thought and he riffs on it, admiring his intellect for coming up with it. Another golden example is when he says "...I think I believe that." :doh: The guy sees himself as some kind of anti-sports talk guy, above it all. His passions are tennis and baseball cards. He's such an iconoclast he even hates the teams he's supposed to cover.

I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but I'll repeat it. A lot of the phone calls they receive are from complete morons who are borderline dysfunctional. I can actually sympathize with having to deal with that all the time. Schopp would be better served in my opinion by moving to a larger market. Having said that, he is not nearly as smart as he thinks he is and yes! He would definitely rather talk about tennis, trading cards/sports collectibles, and most of all, sports betting.

You can tell this guy is a major gambler. He got very excited a few days ago discussing the concept of offering a bet to someone in which you don't care which side he takes. As he put it, "You can really get in the head of someone that way."

LOL.

Like he was basically saying "Let's bet on who wins the Superbowl. I don't care which team you take, I'll take the opposite" just for the pure gambling pleasure of such a bet.

I like when he makes up for his own ignorance of a sports topic by expressing anger at the caller for having brought it up.

Caller: "Mike, I was thinking of x, y, z as a trade for EJ Manuel. Do you think that's good value? And if not, who would be a better trade partner?"

Mike: "Sir, I don't know. I'm sorry. I haven't studied all the relevant trade partners..." and so on.

What he means is "I have no idea what you are talking about and suggesting proper value for that trade is way over my head...please don't embarrass me."

:lol::lol::lol:

schopp is a condescending a hole who seems to bring an attitude of anger and arrogance on air every day. He seems to quick to tell a person how wrong they are and does so in a way that probably makes them never want to call or listen again. But I think its part of his job, which is to talk sports and present a chance for conversation to take place. Pissing people off is a good way to do that.

I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but I'll repeat it. A lot of the phone calls they receive are from complete morons who are borderline dysfunctional. I can actually sympathize with having to deal with that all the time. Schopp would be better served in my opinion by moving to a larger market. Having said that, he is not nearly as smart as he thinks he is and yes! He would definitely rather talk about tennis, trading cards/sports collectibles, and most of all, sports betting.

You can tell this guy is a major gambler. He got very excited a few days ago discussing the concept of offering a bet to someone in which you don't care which side he takes. As he put it, "You can really get in the head of someone that way."

LOL.

Like he was basically saying "Let's bet on who wins the Superbowl. I don't care which team you take, I'll take the opposite" just for the pure gambling pleasure of such a bet.

I like when he makes up for his own ignorance of a sports topic by expressing anger at the caller for having brought it up.

Caller: "Mike, I was thinking of x, y, z as a trade for EJ Manuel. Do you think that's good value? And if not, who would be a better trade partner?"

Mike: "Sir, I don't know. I'm sorry. I haven't studied all the relevant trade partners..." and so on.

What he means is "I have no idea what you are talking about and suggesting proper value for that trade is way over my head...please don't embarrass me."

:lol::lol::lol:

I think he's got a drinking and a gambling problem.

As he put it, "You can really get in the head of someone that way."

That makes no sense - neither you or the other person have any bearing on the outcome of the game, so how does getting in their head do anything? He's just a dick.

Hey guys - out of town fan here from Ohio. I'm so damn sick of Mike Schopp and Bulldog post game. Are there any other radio station I can stream to listen to Buffalo sports?

I literally can't take these dbags anymore. I need another station that I can listen to Bills talk without these aholes

Talk Radio, regardless of the topic, is complete garbage.

That was awesome

Lol awesome post. So funny and i never thought of this before even though in retrospect i have heard the question many times

The reason most people hate them, is the same reason I enjoy them. They are so buffalo.

They have no business being on the radio. And will never ever get any sort of opportunity anywhere else....ever. They just aren't qualified!

One guy sort of like sully is full of himself and arrogantly considers his logic and reasoning superior, even though it is mired in hypocrisy and tends to be an incorrect application of analytics and is rarely challenged by the average blue collar b-lo Joe Schmoe.. When he is challenged he humorously and defensively recoils to irrelevant counterpoints or vicious attacks.

Then you have synchphant side kick literally speaking like a valley girl. He'll go off filling scores of airtime minutes pontificating about how he "is so like, is not sure about like, wrapping like my brain around like in terms of being like ok with this..."

It's absolutely hilarious! Reminds me of the two guys who did the morning WALF radio show at Alfred university. You can't write this stuff!!! It just happens...

Where I live I get to listen to Dan Lebatard on the way home, he's just as bad. He has a weekly segmant of love advise from Marcelous Wiley, and about every two weeks, he has the head zoo keeper from the Miami zoo on talking about mating habits of some turtle.

LeBatard is entertainment...He's not Sports talk and he readily admits it...He literally says if you're looking for serious Sports Talk you are listening to the wrong show...He also addresses the folks who complain about it quite often and says that's what they do and that's what their show is about...It's not a Sports Talk show...It's a radio talk show that happens to have a lot of Sports interviews...That's all...

BTW...I think LeBatard can be extremely funny at times...I enjoy the change...And the Wiley segments are gold... B-)

Talk Radio, regardless of the topic, is complete garbage.

Not when it's done right - Howard Stern, Tony Kornheiser, Adam Carolla, etc.

LeBatard is entertainment...He's not Sports talk and he readily admits it...He literally says if you're looking for serious Sports Talk you are listening to the wrong show...He also addresses the folks who complain about it quite often and says that's what they do and that's what their show is about...It's not a Sports Talk show...It's a radio talk show that happens to have a lot of Sports interviews...That's all...

BTW...I think LeBatard can be extremely funny at times...I enjoy the change...And the Wiley segments are gold... B-)

I always hated everything I knew about him. But, to get away from Shope and the Bulldog and usually it's just one of them in the summer, I putting it on 1520, which has Dan L during the whole Lebron saga.

Turns out I do like his show and for reasons you said - he's pretty funny and I don't really like straight up sports talk (unless it's on a Monday).

Sal and Bulldog are at least somewhat listenable. I think if they found a decent partner for Sal the show would be much better. WGR much be happy with Schoop since he's still there. Besides look at all of the postings in this thread. As some say, there is no bad publicity.

Sal and Bulldog are at least somewhat listenable. I think if they found a decent partner for Sal the show would be much better. WGR much be happy with Schoop since he's still there. Besides look at all of the postings in this thread. As some say, there is no bad publicity.

In my case there is. If Schoop's on, I'm off. Worst radio host encountered in my entire life. I'm 68.

Their commercials are the worst...can't stand them. I sing this over their jingle to drown it out. 0:)

"William C's rotten son...ste-e-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeals your phone."

And if that ever gets old you can go with "...son's....heeeeeeeeeeeeering bone."

As some say, there is no bad publicity.

Except in this instance, when publicity has no value whatsoever. It's like Cuba getting bad publicity for their "everybody gets a new pot" economic plan. :lol: If you're Cuban? In the end, you either take the pot, or you don't.

WGR could do 0 appearances and no advertising for years. WGR could crap on both teams constantly(oh...wait)...and we'd still listen because we know that it's the only place we can get Bills info. If you're a Bills/Sabres fan? In the end, you either take WGR, or you don't.

It's not like ESPN is worth a damn. It used to be about the bias towards big market teams. Now? It's about injecting PC stories wherever they can find them, and demanding "apologies" from anyone who crosses their imposed "line". And if not, spending hours discussing who does/does not have to apologize. :blink: Yellow journalism? Hell ESPN is now muck raking.

ESPN will spend 100 minutes on Michael Sam or Tim Tebow for every 1 minute they spend analyzing football plays. NFL network was OK, but now they are headed in that same direction.

Our current choice: listen to WGR or go without.

Thus, we are left with attempting to condition their behavior with threads like this. What other recourse do we have?

If anyone listened to Wgr on Friday the 13th . You heard something, new and exciting, something different, something new.

It was Sal and the Bulldog, it was 100 percent better then the day usual mess

On a tangental note regarding WGR-550 broadcasting.

Has anyone else noticed just how many days either Bulldog or Schopp miss? I mean it seems like it is difficult to string together 2 straight weeks where both of them are working 5 days each week.

Taking a "sick day" because your voice is shot is probably a reality of talk broadcasting, and Howard Simon often struggles with those problems, but I don't think that's the situation with Schopp and Bulldog. It's weird how much time they miss.

Another funny observation: they like to take a past/pre-recorded big interview or segment from the last few days and then play it in the last 1/2 hour slot of their show, from 6:30pm to 7:00pm....so they can basically go home early.

They do this frequently and it's just another thing that strikes me as funny.

It's like it is snowing and a storm is coming in or something, they look at each other, take the big recorded interview from 2 days previously with Tim Murray or whatever...re-air it....and split early!

It's like something the high school intern would do.

:lol:

Has anyone else noticed just how many days either Bulldog or Schopp miss? I mean it seems like it is difficult to string together 2 straight weeks where both of them are working 5 days each week.

Taking a "sick day" because your voice is shot is probably a reality of talk broadcasting, and Howard Simon often struggles with those problems, but I don't think that's the situation with Schopp and Bulldog. It's weird how much time they miss.

Another funny observation: they like to take a past/pre-recorded big interview or segment from the last few days and then play it in the last 1/2 hour slot of their show, from 6:30pm to 7:00pm....so they can basically go home early.

It's like it is snowing and a storm is coming in or something, they look at each other, take the big recorded interview from 2 days previously with Tim Murray or whatever...re-air it....and split early!

The previously recorded and ran interview at the end of the show always stuck me as odd...I'm glad someone else noticed... :thumbsup:

The previously recorded and ran interview at the end of the show always stuck me as odd...I'm glad someone else noticed... :thumbsup:

To be fair that is fairly common practice. The idea is to let folks who missed the interview get caught up, especially if that interview was on when a lot of people are still at work.

And if that ever gets old you can go with "...son's....heeeeeeeeeeeeering bone."

Except in this instance, when publicity has no value whatsoever. It's like Cuba getting bad publicity for their "everybody gets a new pot" economic plan. :lol: If you're Cuban? In the end, you either take the pot, or you don't.

WGR could do 0 appearances and no advertising for years. WGR could crap on both teams constantly(oh...wait)...and we'd still listen because we know that it's the only place we can get Bills info. If you're a Bills/Sabres fan? In the end, you either take WGR, or you don't.

It's not like ESPN is worth a damn. It used to be about the bias towards big market teams. Now? It's about injecting PC stories wherever they can find them, and demanding "apologies" from anyone who crosses their imposed "line". And if not, spending hours discussing who does/does not have to apologize. :blink: Yellow journalism? Hell ESPN is now muck raking.

ESPN will spend 100 minutes on Michael Sam or Tim Tebow for every 1 minute they spend analyzing football plays. NFL network was OK, but now they are headed in that same direction.

Our current choice: listen to WGR or go without.

Thus, we are left with attempting to condition their behavior with threads like this. What other recourse do we have?

I have said this for years, but really, "sports reporting" and "sports news coverage" in this country, in almost all media, is not, and never has been, about sports.

When was the last time you saw some baseball news announcers on ESPN actually discussing the game of baseball directly? Like talk to a great pitcher and try to have him explain how a curve ball curves and show precisely how he holds the ball? Or talk to the best hitters in the game and discuss their bat dimensions and weights, and why one prefers X but one prefers Z?

This is not what sports reporters report. They report on which athlete hit a tree last night while drunk driving, or any tangentially related topic they can find, that really has nothing to do with the game/sport itself.

Then you have the usual idiotic questions that only sports reporters can ask after a football loss, let's say.

Let's say a football game features a pivotal sack in which a DE easily gets around an OT and sacks the QB, causing fumble.

The reporter will ask the OT who let the guy through: "So, was that disappointing?" Or "How did it feel when you saw your QB getting hit and the ball coming out?" It's always this type of canned crap where I can write the answer before the question is asked. Rarely do you hear a reporter ask anything technical or actually discuss the game of football.

To me, a better question would be: "What are you thinking when you know you are going into pass protection, just a moment before the snap of the ball? What is the first thing you are trying to do once the ball is snapped? What specifically went wrong mechanically on that play so the opposing DE got around you so cleanly?"

You know....like an actual football type of question so a guy who actually knows what it means to play OT in the NFL can teach me something about the sport of football, and explain a pivotal play in a game.

Instead we get "Was that disappointing to see your man beat you like that?"

"Uh no, I loved it and thought it was great." :wallbash::wallbash:

To be fair that is fairly common practice. The idea is to let folks who missed the interview get caught up, especially if that interview was on when a lot of people are still at work.

I know what you mean by that, but that is not quite what I'm talking about.

I don't mean to suggest they only do this on a day when big news broke earlier at an off-time.

For example, the firing of Lindy Ruff was huge and that broke around 3pm on a week day. If Schopp & Bulldog re-aired the PC later that day at 6:30pm for those who missed the huge news earlier, that would make a lot of sense!

I'm talking about some random day when they don't even announce or acknowledge what they are going to do...then just slip in some interview or something that previously aired like 3 days prior after the 6:30pm break....and their assumption is that not everyone listens all the time, so it will be "new enough" to enough people that they can just wrap up operations early. They do not stick around to formally announce the ending of the show at 7pm!

Like they might re-air their weekly talk with John Clayton from ESPN or something like that (even though nothing interesting or important was really said)...

I listen to John Clayton every week; he is a master at talking a mile a minute and saying nothing; he is also often flat-out wrong in his opinions/comments about things. His segment is actually very missable.

Edited by Stopthepain

In my case there is. If Schoop's on, I'm off. Worst radio host encountered in my entire life. I'm 68.

I agree 1000%. I won't even listen to that douchebag doing a commercial. There is nothing entertaining or compelling about his voice, delivery, content, etc.

I have no idea why he has remained on air for so long, when it's so apparent he is so disliked by the captive audience.

I have said this numerous times. I call them Schopp OR The Bulldog. Because that's what you usually get.

I know part of me is just jealous because I own my own business and have to work all the friggin time, and it drives me nuts that these two have soooooo much free time. I shouldn't follow them on twitter, to see Bulldog listening to album after album while playing his guitar, spending weeks at a time in Canada or Schoop playing some game on his phone............I don't have time for any of that kind of stuff and it pisses me off that other people do. LOL

But, they seriously have to work the least of anybody I know who is supposedly working full-time. They are off so much it's crazy, they leave early when they want. And, they have to have the weakest immune systems in the world - because they get sick more in a year than I've been in the my whole life.

I have said this numerous times. I call them Schopp OR The Bulldog. Because that's what you usually get.

I know part of me is just jealous because I own my own business and have to work all the friggin time, and it drives me nuts that these two have soooooo much free time. I shouldn't follow them on twitter, to see Bulldog listening to album after album while playing his guitar, spending weeks at a time in Canada or Schoop playing some game on his phone............I don't have time for any of that kind of stuff and it pisses me off that other people do. LOL

But, they seriously have to work the least of anybody I know who is supposedly working full-time. They are off so much it's crazy, they leave early when they want. And, they have to have the weakest immune systems in the world - because they get sick more in a year than I've been in the my whole life.

With Schopp at least, I alway just assumed "a sick day" meant "staying home with the kids because one of them is sick" or something like this. I have nothing against a parent staying home with a sick child or whatever. It's just that they have very public "look at me" sorts of jobs, and people like that usually work all the time. I'm surprised the station has such a flexible approach to be honest.

It's just kind of weird; one or the other is gone constantly.

By the same token, Sal is the "iron man" or utility player of the operation. The poor guy is on all the time and sometimes works double shifts on the same day, at differing times. It's kind of interesting.

Schopp has a weird habit of actually shouting into the microphone. His voice can be incredibly harsh and confrontational; Bulldog has a slight stutter-type problem. Some of the younger guys have absolutely no voice for radio whatsoever.

And then you have Jeremy White. If you listen to him for a while, you realize he's just a complete idiot.

With Schopp at least, I alway just assumed "a sick day" meant "staying home with the kids because one of them is sick" or something like this. I have nothing against a parent staying home with a sick child or whatever. It's just that they have very public "look at me" sorts of jobs, and people like that usually work all the time. I'm surprised the station has such a flexible approach to be honest.

It's just kind of weird; one or the other is gone constantly.

By the same token, Sal is the "iron man" or utility player of the operation. The poor guy is on all the time and sometimes works double shifts on the same day, at differing times. It's kind of interesting.

Schopp has a weird habit of actually shouting into the microphone. His voice can be incredibly harsh and confrontational; Bulldog has a slight stutter-type problem. Some of the younger guys have absolutely no voice for radio whatsoever.

And then you have Jeremy White. If you listen to him for a while, you realize he's just a complete idiot.

Sadly most of the WGR staff is pretty low quality, with a handful of exceptions. Most of the young guys are probably Buff State interns.

Many big city sports talk stations have several ex-jocks as hosts. Guys who can talk knowledgably about the game. WGR's sister station in Boston WEEI does that.

I guess Andrew Peters qualifies as the ex-jock host for hockey. They could use one or two guys for football.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

The only way to make Hockey Hotline interesting is to count how many times those two talk over each other in a 5 minute period.

I can barely make it 5 minutes with that show... Lol

Two hosts desperately trying to yell over each other. It's sort of remarkable.

Edited by TheFunPolice