$15 Minimum Wage Battle Moves To Other Industries

Tiberius

Relocating isn't easy/an option for everyone.

Who said everything was supposed to be easy? This is the core of the liberal insanity. We endlessly hear about how 'people are struggling', as though struggling is some horrible existence and it's the government's job to make sure no one wants for anything.

Apple made money, and you're taking credit for it.

You are a liberal.

Apple didn't make that happen; someone else (gator?) did.

Nah, it's just the reality for some people, they don't have the same opportunities. She's capable of a lot, but since she doesn't have the right education, and she's not professionally networked here, she doesn't exactly get interviews for fancier things. I'd be in a similar boat if it weren't for some connections paying off and me taking advantage of them. Making a living wage really shouldn't be based on luck, not in a country with plenty of luxury and excess, imo.

I agree with you. I'm just waiting for someone to come up with a better system. So far I've yet to hear one.

It's easy to say x isn't fair. What's not so easy is to come up with a solution that actually works without causing more harm than good in the process.

It does help to get in w/a good organization... Foot in the door.

I started working for the Corps of Engineers in BFLO over 24 years ago. I started out making just under 8 dollars an hour. I was something like GS-3.... LoL... Do they even go that low in The Fed? LMAO. The only thing that could make ends meet was the traveling and getting per diem in the field away from my permanent duty station.

The Corps in BFLO was going to RIF me... So I went out of District before that could happen. They sat me down (w/the union rep too) and laid out the plans for the October RIF. I stayed with the organization and high-tailed it to the Midwest, first in hydrographic survey, then on the lock. Wife was getting her Masters @ U of I, so it worked out. I am much higher wage grade Federal employee now. Wage grades are set to local industry for the area that you are in. Ours here is set for the Quad Cities/Peoria area. John Deere/CAT helped boost those numbers off. For years these wages were higher than Chicago! Even though I work in Chicago, I get paid my District wage grade out of Rock Island. NOW, the wages are the other way, Chicago District wage grade actually makes a dollar more an hour! Go figure!

You know what was really odd...They even PCS me for the first move when I took the low paying surveyor job on the Upper Mississippi. They probably figured BFLO was RIFing? They wouldn't PCS me for the move higher paying lock job... LoL Go figure.

I have to agree w/the conservatives... YOU make your opportunities! Wife ended up going back to U of I for another Masters (Library Science) and the rest is history... She's from BFLO (Lackawanna) too! She heads the public library in a medium sized town of about 25,000 people one town over. BUT, before that she was the administrative librarian in the town we have lived in the last 20+ years.

There really isn't much luck in that. You just gotta be willing to change and build on your vocation. The hardest part has been being away from family... There has been nobody here for us when we raised our two children, familywise within 500 miles... But it could be worse, @ least it only takes an 8-9 hour drive to get back to WNY and family.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I agree with you. I'm just waiting for someone to come up with a better system. So far I've yet to hear one.

It's easy to say x isn't fair. What's not so easy is to come up with a solution that actually works without causing more harm than good in the process.

^^^This. Same here.

I started working w/the Fed when nobody wanted to... For freaking under 8 bucks an hour! Nobody wanted it. I was 22 and traveled 5 days a week from Toledo to Watertown and all points inbetween... Per diem helped. I think it was 30 bucks a day for food. It was a treat to do say Cleveland area harbors since that was a higher per diem rate... LoL... Lodging was covered... And then there was mileage to and from the job site only. That was @ the start of the travel orders and the end of mission. If you wanted to go home on the weekends in the middle of a job, that was on your dime. And, you'd have to be back for duty the following Monday in the morning. Only authorized travle on gov't time was start and finish of the orders. My (future) wife was in Urbana/Champaign @ the time... So I would head west when everybody was heading east back home. LoL Kinda helped living @ my parents house... That's where I would land in BFLO. Heck, I'd even stay for some of the weekends when most of the older guys went home... Usually for the jobs 3 hours or more away from BFLO.

On a similar topic...

...they voted to raise the local minimum wage in November.

(unrelated)The company decided to reduce janitorial services to once a week from every day; bought bigger trashcans.

The bin in the only copy/mail room is about the same size as a xerox machine. By the end of the week, it weighed around 300lbs. (I would guess)

It's week two and the can is over-flowing because they didn't (couldn't) empty it last Friday. Probably need a forklift to move it now. (it doesn't even wobble if you give it a flying kick)

Today, someone dragged a second (empty) trash can into the room. I'm actually curious to see how this develops.

Edited by unbillievable

On a similar topic...

...they voted to raise the local minimum wage in November.

(unrelated)The company decided to reduce janitorial services to once a week; bought bigger trashcans.

The bin in the only copy room is about the same size as the xerox machine. On Friday, (I would guess) it weighed around 300lbs. Now it's week two and its over-flowing because they didn't (couldn't) empty it. Probably need a forklift to move it now.

Today, someone dragged a second (empty) trash can into the room. I'm actually curious to see how this develops.

Oh... The awfulness!

Make the employees of the company do their own general housekeeping.

Why does somebody have to clean up after somebody else? Take turns. There is the problem. Just put in everybody's job description: "All duties as assigned."

There... No cleaning crew even needed. They just went from 15 bucks an hour to ZERO! ;-)

Oh... The awfulness!

Why does somebody have to clean up after somebody else? Take turns. There is the problem. Just put in everybody's job description: "All duties as assigned."

There... No cleaning crew even needed. They just went from 15 bucks an hour to ZERO! ;-)

It's probably a union job (SEIU, I'd guess), so no one else is allowed to do it.

:nana:

Oh... The awfulness!

That could be where this is headed. But then, they'll just be paying someone else (who makes a lot more than minimum wage) to be a janitor for a day/hour. I think It might be fun to use a floor buffer while getting paid overtime.

• 2 weeks later...

:lol::D

For the can’t-make-this-up-if-we-tried-file, the $15-per-hour minimum wage mandate that was just passed by the Los Angeles City Council has a new opponent now that it’s time to draft the specifics of the law — labor unions!

These same labor unions, of course, who pushed for this law in the first place. From the Los Angeles Times:

Labor leaders, who were among the strongest supporters of the citywide minimum wage increase approved last week by the Los Angeles City Council, are advocating last-minute changes to the law that could create an exemption for companies with unionized workforces.

The push to include an exception to the mandated wage increase for companies that let their employees collectively bargain was the latest unexpected detour as the city nears approval of its landmark legislation to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour by 2020.

For much of the past eight months, labor activists have argued
against
special considerations for business owners, such as restaurateurs, who said they would have trouble complying with the mandated pay increase.

But Rusty Hicks, who heads the county Federation of Labor and helps lead the Raise the Wage coalition, said Tuesday night that companies with workers represented by unions should have leeway to negotiate a wage below that mandated by the law.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

And let the well-deserved mocking begin.

So does that mean no more tips for food service people?

Worse for the waiters. Owners will now take a cut of the tips, and will also start filing the full tip income for the employees on the W2s or 1099s.

Careful what you wish for

Do you tip at a buffet?

Yes because there are minimum wage waitstaff that typically restock the buffet, bring your drinks and clear your plates. And for some here there are tons of plates to remove. One thing I've noticed the service at good buffets is better seeing the staff doesn't have to spend any time taking orders or much time in the kitchen picking up your food. Go to the restroom at one of these places and you're likely to see your napkin refolded at your seat when you return.

Do you tip at a buffet?

I always tip at a buffet. Not my usual 20-25%, but always a few dollars even if my drink isn't refilled as quickly as I'd like.

Not tipping is the same thing as stealing from low wage workers IMO.

Edited by Rob's House

Back to the thread................

The Great Lamplighter

by Richard Fernandez

News that efficient fast-food robots are entering the market have sent shudders through advocates of a guaranteed minimum wage. What’s the sense of aiming for a career in flipping burgers if those jobs are poised to go the way of buggy-whip makers and slide-rule manufacturers? Technological innovation is menacing employment. Salon warns that ”robots are coming for your job: Amazon, McDonald’s and the next wave of dangerous capitalist ‘disruption’”

In the United States and other advanced economies, the major disruption will be in the service sector—which is, after all, where the vast majority of workers are now employed. This trend is already evident in areas like ATMs and self-service checkout lanes, but the next decade is likely to see an explosion of new forms of service sector automation, potentially putting millions of relatively low-wage jobs at risk.

Read Much more: http://pjmedia.com/richardfernandez/2015/05/26/the-great-lamplighter/#ixzz3bS7AnvXM

:lol::D

For the can’t-make-this-up-if-we-tried-file, the $15-per-hour minimum wage mandate that was just passed by the Los Angeles City Council has a new opponent now that it’s time to draft the specifics of the law — labor unions!

These same labor unions, of course, who pushed for this law in the first place. From the Los Angeles Times:

Labor leaders, who were among the strongest supporters of the citywide minimum wage increase approved last week by the Los Angeles City Council, are advocating last-minute changes to the law that could create an exemption for companies with unionized workforces.

The push to include an exception to the mandated wage increase for companies that let their employees collectively bargain was the latest unexpected detour as the city nears approval of its landmark legislation to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour by 2020.

For much of the past eight months, labor activists have argued
against
special considerations for business owners, such as restaurateurs, who said they would have trouble complying with the mandated pay increase.

But Rusty Hicks, who heads the county Federation of Labor and helps lead the Raise the Wage coalition, said Tuesday night that companies with workers represented by unions should have leeway to negotiate a wage below that mandated by the law.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

And let the well-deserved mocking begin.

Are these the same unions that pushed for the ACA until they found out that their "Cadillac" plans were going to be taxed? What kind of idiots are on the LA City Council? This law is like asking businesses to locate elsewhere. It will devalue property, cause bankruptcies and reduce tax revenues for the City.

Back to the thread................

The Great Lamplighter

by Richard Fernandez

News that efficient fast-food robots are entering the market have sent shudders through advocates of a guaranteed minimum wage. What’s the sense of aiming for a career in flipping burgers if those jobs are poised to go the way of buggy-whip makers and slide-rule manufacturers? Technological innovation is menacing employment. Salon warns that ”robots are coming for your job: Amazon, McDonald’s and the next wave of dangerous capitalist ‘disruption’”

In the United States and other advanced economies, the major disruption will be in the service sector—which is, after all, where the vast majority of workers are now employed. This trend is already evident in areas like ATMs and self-service checkout lanes, but the next decade is likely to see an explosion of new forms of service sector automation, potentially putting millions of relatively low-wage jobs at risk.

Read Much more: http://pjmedia.com/richardfernandez/2015/05/26/the-great-lamplighter/#ixzz3bS7AnvXM

Do you tip your service robots?

Do you tip your service robots?

Is this their entry level function or are they trying to maintain family units at their residence ?

How Much Should We Tip a Robot?

Given the stupendous moral and technological ambiguity, and the promise and peril robots and their replication represent, the question becomes: How much should I tip a robot?

Viewed abstractly, that’s an easily answered question.

We should tip them only so long as we do not reach a tipping point…

…the point at which they and the future will neither need, want nor tolerate us and our tips.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nothing more comical, yet sad, than watching a man with absolutely no experience running any kind of for-profit business telling private businesses it's time to increase the number of part-time employees.

WH New OT Rules: Pay OT to Salaried Workers Earning Under $50K.

It's like he thinks money grows on trees.

Oh...wait...

The long-awaited rule would make all salaried workers who earn less than $50,440 per year automatically eligible to earn time-and-a-half pay if they work more than 40 hours a week. The cutoff under existing rules is around $23,660 per year.

Yeah, well...if you want to change the minimum hourly wage to $15/hr, you pretty much have to raise the OT cutoff above $30k/year, or no one gets paid OT. Which is not to say you're wrong. Between this and the ACA, companies have a lot of incentive to hire part-time workers rather than full-time (meaning no one gets overtime anyway). But I don't see where the cutoff can't be raised to account for a higher minimum wage.

This convoluted, idiotic mess brought to you by the same people who thought employers would hire people for tax credits.

Yeah, well...if you want to change the minimum hourly wage to $15/hr, you pretty much have to raise the OT cutoff above $30k/year, or no one gets paid OT. Which is not to say you're wrong. Between this and the ACA, companies have a lot of incentive to hire part-time workers rather than full-time (meaning no one gets overtime anyway). But I don't see where the cutoff can't be raised to account for a higher minimum wage.

This convoluted, idiotic mess brought to you by the same people who thought employers would hire people for tax credits.

That only works in Guam. Oh wait... the minimum wage in that US territory isn't the same as it is in the US. I wonder why Stretch would have carved that out. Hmmm.

gatorman?

I have a question for you. :o Where is the money going to come from to pay this increased wages?

The money wont come.All this will do is create layoffs,higher prices for consumers that will not be paid and finally store closures.The thinking of the people that support this crap is so simple its disgusting.

Where has gatorman been lately? It's almost like Trolls R Us laid him off.

Just curious,if someone decides to get out of bed every morning and be a productive member of society and carry his or her own weight by working at Toys r us who the hell are you to demean them?

Just curious,if someone decides to get out of bed every morning and be a productive member of society and carry his or her own weight by working at Toys r us who the hell are you to demean them?

I'm looking forward to seeing the answer to this.

Didn't that dork Clinton's labor secretary Robert reich say the minimum wage needed to be raised because you can't raise a family of 4 on it? Lol what an absurd standard. So some kid flipping burgs should make enough money to buy a home, support a stay at home mom, and put 2 kids thru school

Edited by JTSP

Meanwhile people are finally noticing that equalizing Puerto Rico's minimum wage with the mainland had a bit of an effect on the island's productivity and employment. Shocking, I know.

WSJ Article - here and the study for the PR Government

The Krueger report recommends that Congress allow Puerto Rico to set its wage below the federal minimum, which is now allowed for a handful of employers. The New York Fed, in its report, separately advised creating a separate “sub-minimum” wage for workers under the age of 25 that gradually increases to match the federal minimum after several years.

A Sonic restaurant nearby added an inside dining area this past winter. They were exclusively drive-up before that. There are now indoor tables in which to sit and eat and ordering inside is done on a kiosk. Sonic is doing well as a company, better than most fast food operations. They ain't waitin' for a $15 minimum wage, but for sure a $15 minimum wage will result in kiosks in many places. Good for the educated and skilled workers that develop and support that technology. Bad for those the libs want to help, but that won't stop libs from pushing it because they can collect votes for a while until those that got suckered are hurt by the very ideas sold to them. That's OK, because liberal politicians will just find another doomed cause to suck in the same crowd.

A Sonic restaurant nearby added an inside dining area this past winter. They were exclusively drive-up before that. There are now indoor tables in which to sit and eat and ordering inside is done on a kiosk. Sonic is doing well as a company, better than most fast food operations. They ain't waitin' for a $15 minimum wage, but for sure a $15 minimum wage will result in kiosks in many places. Good for the educated and skilled workers that develop and support that technology. Bad for those the libs want to help, but that won't stop libs from pushing it because they can collect votes for a while until those that got suckered are hurt by the very ideas sold to them. That's OK, because liberal politicians will just find another doomed cause to suck in the same crowd.

How is that bad for unions that have their contracts tied to the minimum wage? Minimum wage goes up, D's solid voting block gets raises. Of course they're going to push for it.

Those were the people you were referring to w/ the "those the libs want to help," right?