$15 Minimum Wage Battle Moves To Other Industries

Tiberius

I have seen it, and perhaps "responsible" isn't the best word for it, but it sums it up as well as any word I can think of.

Her situation sounds more to me like a guy I know who is now living out of his car and pan handling because he can't hold a job due to emotional problems that prevent him from being ale to work with people. It's different because he has some marketable skills, but in neither case is a minimum wage hike a realistic or efficient solution.

I'm not really sure how anyone who has ever worked, even at a minimum wage job, for any length of time can't see the opportunity to at least get to around the level they're talking about. Even if they grew up poor. If you're bagging groceries or flipping burgers for $7/hr is the opportunity of assistant manager or cashier really that elusive? It seems these issues run deeper than mere lack of opportunity.

And that's why the whole "living wage" thing is BS. Sure everyone should have a living wage however that should not be considered a minimum wage. Minimum is just that. Entry level. I was able to live off of minimum wage for 4 years. It was easy I was 14 years old when I started on it. As a matter of fact because of my minimum wage I was the one that always had the weed but was still able to fund half of my college education.

Edited by Chef Jim

$15 minimum wage is a quadruple win for Dems...

Helps illegal immigrant workers who can now can get work permits

Helps other supporters that like getting a raise

Those that get squeezed out of jobs as a result will like the broader safety net that dems offer resulting in even more votes

Dems can blame the greedy private sector for job losses

And that's why the whole "living wage" thing is BS. Sure everyone should have a living wage however that should not be considered a minimum wage. Minimum is just that. Entry level. I was able to live off of minimum wage for 4 years. It was easy I was 14 years old when I started on it. As a matter of fact because of my minimum wage I was the one that always had the weed but was still able to fund half of my college education.

Some people are not as smart as you though, or don't have as well developed life skills, so this is as far as they go

Those that get squeezed out of jobs as a result will like the broader safety net that dems offer resulting in even more votes

You don't like it because it will help a political party in some way? How partisan can you get?

Raising the minimum wage also furthers the intrest of labor unions, who base their pay scale primarily off of the current minimum wage.

Raising the minimum wage also furthers the intrest of labor unions, who base their pay scale primarily off of the current minimum wage.

Lower gas prices also help labor unions, it costs less for a union member to drive somewhere. Quick, raise taxes on gas! :cry:

Lower gas prices also help labor unions, it costs less for a union member to drive somewhere. Quick, raise taxes on gas! :cry:

I'm only pointing out that unions have a vested interest in a higher minimum wage. I'm not making a philsophical argument against them.

Some people are not as smart as you though, or don't have as well developed life skills, so this is as far as they go

Just because you can't get farther than floor mopper at Denny's doesn't mean mopping the floor is worth $15/hour.

Go to any community college in any town in any county in any state, prove to them you're poor and stupid and they WILL fix both of those at no cost to you.

But that's not the progressive way now, is it? No. The poor and stupid like yourself would rather spend your time whining about being poor and stupid because taking personal responsibility to better yourself is just too darn difficult.

Dumbass.

And therefore we should assume no one is smart or has developed life skills, and that no one should be expected to overcome those (or any) obstacles with determination and hard work. Instead we should just give everyone a medal and $15/hr for doing nothing.

Yup, that's how you build a global economic superpower alright! :thumbsup:

Edited by KD in CT

And therefore we should assume no one is smart or has developed life skills, and that no one should be expected to overcome those (or any) obstacles with determination and hard work. Instead we should just give everyone a medal and $15/hr for doing nothing.

Yup, that's how you build a global economic superpower alright! :thumbsup:

Don't forget to give them a trophy with that medal and $15/hr. Everyone should have a trophy so that no one feels left out.

You don't like it because it will help a political party in some way? How partisan can you get?

Yes, I don't like it because it is completely a political move by elected Democrats because they all know that raising the min wage to 15 bucks will result in job losses and/or reduced hours for workers.

Yes, I don't like it because it is completely a political move by elected Democrats because they all know that raising the min wage to 15 bucks will result in job losses and/or reduced hours for workers.

After which morons like gatortard will be baffled at the unemployment rate and claim businesses don't create enough jobs!

After which morons like gatortard will be baffled at the unemployment rate and claim businesses don't create enough jobs!

It's as simple as this: gatorman will be happy when Senators start explaining that the only way it will ever be fair is when everyone is paid directly from the government. A weekly stipend, if you will. The same amount for everyone.

You can see him smiling just thinking about it.

But alas, back to the fryer tomorrow.

It's as simple as this: gatorman will be happy when Senators start explaining that the only way it will ever be fair is when everyone is paid directly from the government. A weekly stipend, if you will. The same amount for everyone.

You can see him smiling just thinking about it.

But alas, back to the fryer tomorrow.

At which time he'll still be baffled that his life hasn't improved any, and neither will have the lives of those he mislabels "poor".

• 3 months later...

You'd think they'd care about public opinion... or... no, you don't need public support when you're shutting down

"Seattle’s $15 minimum wage law goes into effect on April 1, 2015. As that date approaches, restaurant across the city are making the financial decision to close shop. The Washington Policy Center writes that 'closings have occurred across the city, from Grub in the upscale Queen Anne Hill neighborhood, to Little Uncle in gritty Pioneer Square, to the Boat Street Cafe on Western Avenue near the waterfront.'"

Those places all sound so sweet and trendy, and to maintain their image, if they needed to maintain their image, they would want to support nice, progressive things like a jacked up minimum wage law.
Restaurant owners, expecting to operate on thinner margins, have tried to adapt in several ways including “higher menu prices, cheaper, lower-quality ingredients, reduced opening times, and cutting work hours and firing workers,” according to The Seattle Times and Seattle Eater magazine.
As the Washington Policy Center points out, when these strategies are not enough, businesses close, “workers lose their jobs and the neighborhood loses a prized amenity.”

A city dies, but — oh! — what a beautiful corpse!

You'd think they'd care about public opinion... or... no, you don't need public support when you're shutting down

"Seattle’s $15 minimum wage law goes into effect on April 1, 2015. As that date approaches, restaurant across the city are making the financial decision to close shop. The Washington Policy Center writes that 'closings have occurred across the city, from Grub in the upscale Queen Anne Hill neighborhood, to Little Uncle in gritty Pioneer Square, to the Boat Street Cafe on Western Avenue near the waterfront.'"

Those places all sound so sweet and trendy, and to maintain their image, if they needed to maintain their image, they would want to support nice, progressive things like a jacked up minimum wage law.

Restaurant owners, expecting to operate on thinner margins, have tried to adapt in several ways including “higher menu prices, cheaper, lower-quality ingredients, reduced opening times, and cutting work hours and firing workers,” according to The Seattle Times and Seattle Eater magazine.

A city dies, but — oh! — what a beautiful corpse!

Totally bogus, right wing hit piece. Love how your links always have links to links. Only an idiot would believe them.

Totally bogus, right wing hit piece. Love how your links always have links to links. Only an idiot would believe them.

It's amazing. You'd think, after all this time, we would have found at least one subject you're not completely ignorant about. But no. You're equally ill-informed about every single damned thing under the sun. It's friggin' amazing.