Colin Kaepernick might very well be available this offseason

The Big Cat

What is up with all the man love for Kaepernick?

He's not particularly good.

And the dude is an epic douche bag. I root against SF for the sole reason of him being qb. It would break my heart if the Bills hired that complete bone hole.

I would much rather watch EJ play. At least EJ has some class.

Yup. Totally agree.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee, we sure are getting picky about quarterbacks around here

You would think WE HAVE BETTER OPTIONS, BUT WE DON'T :cry:

Yep, can he throw and read a defense ?

Sounds good to me

Edited by HOUSE

I would be shocked and stunned if Kaepernick is anything CLOSE to being available in the next many years.

Sure, he is coming off a bad season and his stock is low right now...but this guy is unique and he ain't going anywhere!

PS: I would give a hell of a lot more than a 2nd round draft pick for him, if he were to become available...all day long and twice on Sunday!

I quess Greg Roman would know best if Kapernick is worth a second but personally I would be ok with it or Mallet, Hoyer until we can draft one.

You might find yourself drafting quarterbacks for a long time before you find one as good as Kaepernick, even though his stock is low right now.

I can't stand him.

I think he is a cocky, overrated running-QB attempting to convert to a pocket passer. He's inaccurate and overpaid. Is he a way better option than anyone on our roster? Sure. But I'd rather explore other options than this.

Oh, and the fact I highly doubt that they'd give him up for a 2nd.

Go into the draft without a 1st, 2nd and without a 4th? No thanks. A mediocre QB isn't worth that

I'll put you down as undecided.

I have two questions:

1) what the heck is "headlines and global news"?

2) who the heck is Brandon Katz and what are his credentials as a sports analyst?

I'm gonna take a guess that this is some sort of unpaid gig manned by a college journalism student/football fan in the lines of "Walter Football".

Then I have two more questions:

1) how many teams in the league started QB who put up numbers worse than these during part of the 2014 season?:

3369 yds passing, 60.5% completion, 7 ypa, 19 TD, 10 INT, 639 yds rushing, 6.1 YPA

2) what other QBs does SF have on the roster right now?

Suspend reality and provide an answer, please. (personally I'm all in on this hypothetical trade)

Well, let's see:

Dumber than a chicken - check

Can't hit any side of the barn....from the inside - check

Zero leadership ability - check

Couldn't read a defense if you translated it into hooked on phonics - check

Endorsed by arguably the worst talent evaluator in the entire history of TBD - check

All this for only a second rounder?
Gee, where do I sign up?!

Well, let's see:

Endorsed by arguably the worst talent evaluator in the entire history of TBD - check

Yes.

Well, let's see:

better than anything we have - check

better than anything we have - check

I'm sure this will generate a lot of laughter but I wouldn't trade EJ for Kaepernick.

IMO, his limitations as a pocket passer are worse than EJ's.

Ayup.....

Well, let's see:

you shouldn't talk about ej like that.

Well, let's see:

He's not dumb. Far from it, actually. He got caught up being a celebrity this season, hopefully he'll realize he's got work to do. I'd love him here.

Well, let's see:

Where did you come up with the belief that he was dumb? He aced his SATs and Stanford aggressively pursued him. There were IVY league schools that had an interest in him. Don't be fooled by the tatoos and the denim outfit. He is a smart and high character kid.

http://www.bestmastersdegrees.com/smartest-players/

Where did you come up with the belief that he was dumb? He aced his SATs and Stanford aggressively pursued him. There were IVY league schools that had an interest in him. Don't be fooled by the tatoos and the denim outfit. He is a smart and high character kid.

http://www.bestmastersdegrees.com/smartest-players/

I'm talking about his ability to recognize what is happening on a football field (reading defenses, recognizing down/distance, understanding matchup advantages/disadvantages, playing to game situations, etc). His ability to take standardized tests isn't something that interests me.

You might find yourself drafting quarterbacks for a long time before you find one as good as Kaepernick, even though his stock is low right now.

While I'm not convinced as you are of Kapernick's greatness I'm all for drafting as many QBs as possible until we get it right.

I'm talking about his ability to recognize what is happening on a football field (reading defenses, recognizing down/distance, understanding matchup advantages/disadvantages, playing to game situations, etc). His ability to take standardized tests isn't something that interests me.

He is still a young qb who got too caught up in the celebrity aspect of the profession. He is going to be more focused this offseason in learning how to play the position. He is never going to be able to read defenses like Brady or Manning but he will get better with experience and play with more intelligence.

He is still a young qb who got too caught up in the celebrity aspect of the profession. He is going to be more focused this offseason in learning how to play the position. He is never going to be able to read defenses like Brady or Manning but he will get better with experience and play with more intelligence.

What makes you think this? He lost the very people who made him successful. I would argue the other way. I think he'll continue to regress. New offense, aging skill players, I don't see him refocusing his career.

He was a 4 year starter in college and he's probably already played 50 games in the NFL.

I think we have a pretty good idea of what he is and isn't going to be.

What makes you think this? He lost the very people who made him successful. I would argue the other way. I think he'll continue to regress. New offense, aging skill players, I don't see him refocusing his career.

As soon as the season ended he made arrangements to get outside help to improve his game. He is motivated and taking action to get better.

He was a 4 year starter in college and he's probably already played 50 games in the NFL.

I think we have a pretty good idea of what he is and isn't going to be.

I disagree with you. He is never going to a classic polished pocket qb like Brees, Brady and Manning. But that doesn't mean that he can't adjust his game to become a very effective qb suited to his particular skill set. His style of play in college made for a very difficult transition to the pro game which calls for good pocket awareness. In my view he has the ability to be a very effective NFL qb.

Fair enough. But to be realistic, so did EJ last offseason. What did tht do of his game. A lot is to be said about the coach he plays for

Kaepernick is an immensely more talented qb and better prospect than EJ. EJ is a high character person with an impressive work ethic. He is the type of person everyone roots for. However, I don't believe that his prospects for success are high. I would love to be proven wrong.

Suspend reality and provide an answer, please. (personally I'm all in on this hypothetical trade)

Geesh, Sphere o' Beer, Now I'm All Confused! My questions are based in reality! Cold hard slimy reality.

If I suspend reality, I'm all for Kaepernick for a 2nd! In a heartbeat!

As for the answers: the numbers switched around a bit depending upon category, but for the most straightforward (completion percentage) that would be about 11 QB who started a substantial part of the season - Arizona, Buffalo, Carolina, Cleveland, Detroit, Jacksonville, NY Jets, Oakland, Philly, Tampa Bay, Tennesee. Includes 2 teams in the playoffs and a couple who just missed and several QB folks here have been lusting after, such as Foles. In most cases, the YPA and the total yardage were lower than Kaep as well and let's not even factor in the running. The answer to the 2nd question is that SF backup is Blaine Gabbert and the 3rd string is a rookie Josh Johnson from San Diego. So right now in SF, it's Kaepernick or pfffffffft.

Until I learn the author of this piece knows something, I don't believe for a minute think Kaep is available for less than or even equal to his pick. That's not how it works with QB who have shown that they can play at all reliably in the NFL. The cold hard reality is it's a seller's market on QB, especially when the goods in question had a "down" year and is still better than 1/3 of the starting QB in the league, and is being backed up by Blaine Gabbert. If the bidding started at a 2nd round pick or less, it would go up quickly.

Kaepernick is an immensely more talented qb and better prospect than EJ. EJ is a high character person with an impressive work ethic. He is the type of person everyone roots for. However, I don't believe that his prospects for success are high. I would love to be proven wrong.

You and me both.

Even if he truly is an upgrade at QB, how much better of a player are you getting? Now factor in the contract and loss of draft pick. Is it worth it? IMO, no. Not after seeing what Roman was able to do with Alex Smith and then Kaep. Lets see his hand at EJ