Official 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' thread

Just Jack

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like we may need a separate "I've seen it" Star Wars spoiler thread at this point. I think most people that see it are going to want to have a place to talk about it without worrying about spoilers.

Edited by Acantha

Anyone else at different points of the film feel as if they took parts of Episode IV and used them in Episode VII. I'm not going to cite anything for spoiler reasons, but there were quite a few things that were a bit too close to Episode IV. Now, let me stress that movie was fantastic. It's just a few scenes that bothered me.

Anyone else at different points of the film feel as if they took parts of Episode IV and used them in Episode VII. I'm not going to cite anything for spoiler reasons, but there were quite a few things that were a bit too close to Episode IV. Now, let me stress that movie was fantastic. It's just a few scenes that bothered me.

"Parts of"? Lol.

Don't click on this link unless you've seen the movie:

Yeah, I really liked the film, too. It's not like the producers weren't aware of the similarities. They are "in on the joke" or "paying homage," however you want to put it.

I didn't like Finn, but otherwise it was really good. Poe Dameron should be Rey's love interest.

Hopefully she keeps Finn in the friend zone.

Yeah, I really liked the film, too. It's not like the producers weren't aware of the similarities. They are "in on the joke" or "paying homage," however you want to put it.

I didn't like Finn, but otherwise it was really good. Poe Dameron should be Rey's love interest.

Hopefully she keeps Finn in the friend zone.

Oh man, Finn was the best new character IMO. Rey was also good. How can you say Poe > Finn when Poe was barely even fleshed out. We don't even know Poe.

I thought they took parts of all the original 3 movies into this one. I took my kids to see it because they wanted to and am not a huge fan but thought the movie was solid but nothing special (also haven't seen any of the prequels)

I thought they took parts of all the original 3 movies into this one. I took my kids to see it because they wanted to and am not a huge fan but thought the movie was solid but nothing special (also haven't seen any of the prequels)

Are the prequels as good at the original trilogy and Episode VII? In the most part they are not. But if you're into Star Wars or at least have an interest in the saga, you may enjoy them. I still like watching the prequels w/ my kids. People tend to over analyze.

Edited by thanes16

Just got back from the theatre. Not disappointed in the slightest. Can't wait for the next one.

Oh man, Finn was the best new character IMO. Rey was also good. How can you say Poe > Finn when Poe was barely even fleshed out. We don't even know Poe.

If you read any of his posts in PPP you'd know why.

Are the prequels as good at the original trilogy and Episode VII? In the most part they are not. But if you're into Star Wars or at least have an interest in the saga, you may enjoy them. I still like watching the prequels w/ my kids. People tend to over analyze.

Same here. I keep the big picture in mind in order to overlook the goofy stuff. Anakin/Darth Vader's story is great.

Saw it a second time this afternoon. Enjoyed it even more. Ren and Rey are both going into training. Some serious stuff will be going down. It's quite obvious, in my opinion, Luke is Rey's father. The light saber being passed from Anakin to Luke to.... gives it away. The force seems stronger w/ her. When we find out who her father is, again its gotta be Luke, I hope it's not too dramatic. Just get it over w/ quick near the beginning of Episode 8. Can't try to be The Empire Strikes Back. Need complete originality in the next one.

Saw it a second time this afternoon. Enjoyed it even more. Ren and Rey are both going into training. Some serious stuff will be going down. It's quite obvious, in my opinion, Luke is Rey's father. The light saber being passed from Anakin to Luke to.... gives it away. The force seems stronger w/ her. When we find out who her father is, again its gotta be Luke, I hope it's not too dramatic. Just get it over w/ quick near the beginning of Episode 8. Can't try to be The Empire Strikes Back. Need complete originality in the next one.

Yeah I definitely came away with the impression there is some Skywalker bloodline. Either Luke is her father or maybe she is the daughter/grand-daughter of a yet to be introduced sibling of Anakin. Could be a nice way to wash away some of the Phantom Menace stink. Or maybe old Ben Kenobi had a piece on the side

The bridge scene where Han tells Ren not to believe Snoke, I could have sworn he said not to believe Snopes :lol:

Edited by /dev/null

Yeah I definitely came away with the impression there is some Skywalker bloodline. Either Luke is her father or maybe she is the daughter/grand-daughter of a yet to be introduced sibling of Anakin. Could be a nice way to wash away some of the Phantom Menace stink. Or maybe old Ben Kenobi had a piece on the side

The bridge scene where Han tells Ren not to believe Snoke, I could have sworn he said not to believe Snopes :lol:

A friend of mine came up with another theory, which I think would make a better story (even if implausible)... Rey is related to Emperor Palpatine.

It would explain why she wasn't being trained with Luke and Ren at the academy, why she was left behind and hidden, and the weird lunging lightsaber fighting technique she used - the same one Palpatine used against Windu.

It would also be an interesting switch of the Skywalker/Solo family turning dark and the Palaptine family becoming light. I also want to know more about how Palp was able to get so good with the force with no training and stay hidden from the Jedi for so long. How did he become so powerful alone? More natural ability than Vadar? -like Rey's miraculous awakening.

I think it's a part of the Universe that has yet to be explored, from the dark side's point of view. Think of Luke's reluctance and suspicion of training the emperor's grand-daughter in episode 8...

PS... what is it with Star Wars and the lack of railings on walkways? Where's OSHA?

Really liked it

Almost no complaints

My only complaint is that it will be two years for the next movie. This one was obviously made to set up future movies, so I feel like I just watched a pilot episode... with no followup ready.

Edited by unbillievable

My only complaint is that it will be two years for the next movie. This one was obviously made to set up future movies, so I feel like I just watched a pilot episode... with no followup ready.

May 2017, 1.5 yrs

I saw this today with my son. I give it a solid "very good."

I think they overdid it, a tad, with both the love story and the corny humor. Those things were sprinkled into the classic Star Wars movies, but they were a little too heavy in this one.

But I really enjoyed the movie and I'm glad we went.

Is it just me or does it seem like evil is just really damn weak in this movie?

Darth Vader was so friggen dominating

yeah there were a few scenes where kylo seemed less of a Dark Lord of the Sith and more like a spoiled whiney teenager Edited by /dev/null

yeah there were a few scenes where kylo seemed less of a Dark Lord of the Sith and more like a spoiled whiney teenager

I sorta liked that. Set up his character arc for the next movies and he wasn't just Vader 2.0. To be fair, Vader wasn't anybody but a weirdo in a suit until Empire.

I sorta liked that. Set up his character arc for the next movies and he wasn't just Vader 2.0. To be fair, Vader wasn't anybody but a weirdo in a suit until Empire.

That was my take as well.

Ren and Rey are both in training now and should grow into much stronger characters.

I thought it was a great movie.........but it was still just a movie in an era where adults are used to watching epic mini-series where characters and stories unfold over 50-70 hours on tv........so in that regard it really was a lot more child-centric than the original 3.

Glad it was, my kids loved it.

To everyone complaining that Ren was a whiny kid... he was. He's not a sith, but an apprentice. His lightsaber being fuzzy was a hint that he didn't build it correctly. As far as the love story... I don't know what movie you're watching.

Yeah well so, Joffrey wan't a King but a Prince. He was still trying to step out of Robert's shadow and become his own man

How'd that work out?

And I the only "love story" I saw in was Han and Leia. And maybe a bit of a Bromance between Poe and Finn

That was my take as well.

Ren and Rey are both in training now and should grow into much stronger characters.

I thought it was a great movie.........but it was still just a movie in an era where adults are used to watching epic mini-series where characters and stories unfold over 50-70 hours on tv........so in that regard it really was a lot more child-centric than the original 3.

Glad it was, my kids loved it.

This movie fired up my kid for Star Wars that makes it a success

Saw it two nights ago with my GF, who has never seen any Star Wars movies. Now she wants to see the originals. Gave her all my DVDs and told her to watch the original trilogy first, then if she wants to see more of the back story, watch the prequels. If she comes back from all six, saying how much she loves Jar Jar, I'm dumping her. (Jar Jar was my ex-wife's favorite character)

IDK when Lucas took the 4+ Billion for the franchise which I am sure is spending quite nicely for him. And even though his name is on the credits in some form. And Disney did a ok job. With all the other ones supposedly coming. Myself, and all the kids aside ( main target) it is really missing the force with that being George Lucas's genius. Nice Money grab though. Americans love to slurp up the past even if it's below par.

The first three were creative, fresh, and groundbreaking. Now well yea the special efx are cool. The story?

A report on the tube said this: When a company says unless the film and TOY sales don't do 1.5 billion in the first week. execs will be nervous. Kind of blurs the lines bigtime between cinematic art and corporate financial goals. Those goals are the sole reason the franchise exists yet.

IDK when Lucas took the 4+ Billion for the franchise which I am sure is spending quite nicely for him. And even though his name is on the credits in some form. And Disney did a ok job. With all the other ones supposedly coming. Myself, and all the kids aside ( main target) it is really missing the force with that being George Lucas's genius. Nice Money grab though. Americans love to slurp up the past even if it's below par.

The first three were creative, fresh, and groundbreaking. Now well yea the special efx are cool. The story?

A report on the tube said this: When a company says unless the film and TOY sales don't do 1.5 billion in the first week. execs will be nervous. Kind of blurs the lines bigtime between cinematic art and corporate financial goals. Those goals are the sole reason the franchise exists yet.

GL's genius appeared to be a myth, judging from the prequels.

Yeah well so, Joffrey wan't a King but a Prince. He was still trying to step out of Robert's shadow and become his own man

How'd that work out?

And I the only "love story" I saw in was Han and Leia. And maybe a bit of a Bromance between Poe and Finn

I was referring to Gugny's criticism that the "love story" was overdone.

Peoples two biggest complaints for this movie seem to be that Ren wasn't as disciplined as Vadar and Maul, and that the story is too much like the originals (which is hilarious, since fans hate the prequels for straying too far- can't please anyone)

I would say that Abrams raised a lot of story questions that have to be addressed in VIII or fans will riot. (although, he loves leaving things unanswered- Lost, Star Trek)

Vader saw all of like 10 mins of screen time in A New Hope, you are exactly right that Empire made him as a character.

Sorry but this just is not true. Lucas pulled from a lot of sources like Flash Gordon serials from the 30's and the John Carter books. The whole idea of the rebels vs imperial forces is from Flash Gordon, so is Cloud City. The roll up text is from Flash Gordon, so are the screen wipes. Lucas admits all of this. As far as the franchises corporate and financial goals, Lucas realized all of this by the end of Empire hence the Ewoks in Jedi. Cute cuddly bear type creatures that kids would love.

The point is good story telling influences other stories. To me, this Star Wars was inspired by the first 3. That's not such a bad thing.