Official 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' thread

Just Jack

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really enjoyed the final trailer, and I still don't really know what this movie is about. Which is fine with me.

I do wonder why we have not seen a clear picture of Luke, and C-3PO's absence is odd.

For me, I am curious to see all of these new characters.

And just who is the main protagonist in this movie? They've shown us Kylo Ren many times, but I don't think he is the one in charge. While Captain Phasma is more of a soldier and is in charge of the Stormtroopers, I think.

We still have not seen one shot of Andy Serkis or Max von Sydow.

Oh well, I'm very excited for this. I think we could have something special here.

I'm thinking that Luke it the antagonist, given the "I'll finish what you started" and showing the mask, that only he'd have been able to retrieve since he privately cremated DV.

I'm thinking that Luke it the antagonist, given the "I'll finish what you started" and showing the mask, that only he'd have been able to retrieve since he privately cremated DV.

That's the thinking i've seen online, and if true there could be nerd pitchforks and torches.

If I recall, that was also in some of the books

It was, but I think when Disney bought LucasFilm they said the expanded universe was no longer cannon. Though, I forget the exact line they drew between cannon and non cannon material. That said, I like Doc's theory re Luke, but I would be stunned if it turns out to be the way the story goes based on what I've heard Mark Hamill say in interviews. It could be a mislead of course, but then there was the alleged leaked plot which, despite being denied, lines up really accurately with what we've seen in the trailers so far. That leak didn't have that particular twist with Luke.

Here's hoping Doc's right though, because that would be kind of fun.

Didn't Luke have a son that turned Sith in the books? Could be Luke told his kid who dug up Grandpa's helmet

I sincerely doubt it.

I think Kylo Ren will end up being Luke's nephew/Han & Leia's son...and the twin sister will be the female lead.

It was, but I think when Disney bought LucasFilm they said the expanded universe was no longer cannon. Though, I forget the exact line they drew between cannon and non cannon material. That said, I like Doc's theory re Luke, but I would be stunned if it turns out to be the way the story goes based on what I've heard Mark Hamill say in interviews. It could be a mislead of course, but then there was the alleged leaked plot which, despite being denied, lines up really accurately with what we've seen in the trailers so far. That leak didn't have that particular twist with Luke.

Here's hoping Doc's right though, because that would be kind of fun.

Apparently Mark Hamill pitched to JJ Abrams years ago a plot that involved what Doc has suggested. And I've seen lots of news outlets suggest that's what it could be. IMO, I hope it doesn't go that way, I think it's too obvious of a story line and doesn't explain why there would be so much time between A New Hope and this movie. I am sure the writers could come up with some sort of explanation but I honestly I would feel a bit let down, in terms of story line.

I think the biggest reason why I don't like the idea of Luke being the antagonist is the "why" surrounding it. If we follow what happened from 'A New Hope', Luke was never going to join The Dark Side and actually got his father to turn back and save him. Why then, some many years later, does Luke decide he is going to finish what his father started? And why does it take so long for him to make that decision? What changes in his character, which was fervently against The Dark Side? It seems a stretch to think when his father was alive he couldn't make him but in his death he changes his mind but it took a bunch of years. Like I said I think the writers can come up with some sort of an explanation but then that basically undoes what happened in the original trilogy and what they've shown of Lukes character. Too me making Luke the antagonist because of his father just seems too simple.

I think there has to be a connection with the Skywalkers and Kylo Ren, which is the most Jedi name BTW, because one of them would have to explain the story of Vadar to him. So possibly one of the twins, from expanded universe or some relation to Luke. Otherwise it would be a antagonist with no real connection to the original story line and would be out of place. Some random character who discovers the Sith seems weak as a story. I think the other question would have to be who teaches John Boyegas character to become, I assume, to be a Jedi. I think that has to be Luke.

I purposefully haven't read any of the plot from any online source because I would like to be surprised, although I have heard about the Luke part. I suppose its not long now until we find out.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Apparently Mark Hamill pitched to JJ Abrams years ago a plot that involved what Doc has suggested. And I've seen lots of news outlets suggest that's what it could be. IMO, I hope it doesn't go that way, I think it's too obvious of a story line and doesn't explain why there would be so much time between A New Hope and this movie. I am sure the writers could come up with some sort of explanation but I honestly I would feel a bit let down, in terms of story line.

I think the biggest reason why I don't like the idea of Luke being the antagonist is the "why" surrounding it. If we follow what happened from 'A New Hope', Luke was never going to join The Dark Side and actually got his father to turn back and save him. Why then, some many years later, does Luke decide he is going to finish what his father started? And why does it take so long for him to make that decision? What changes in his character, which was fervently against The Dark Side? It seems a stretch to think when his father was alive he couldn't make him but in his death he changes his mind but it took a bunch of years. Like I said I think the writers can come up with some sort of an explanation but then that basically undoes what happened in the original trilogy and what they've shown of Lukes character. Too me making Luke the antagonist because of his father just seems too simple.

I think there has to be a connection with the Skywalkers and Kylo Ren, which is the most Jedi name BTW, because one of them would have to explain the story of Vadar to him. So possibly one of the twins, from expanded universe or some relation to Luke. Otherwise it would be a antagonist with no real connection to the original story line and would be out of place. Some random character who discovers the Sith seems weak as a story. I think the other question would have to be who teaches John Boyegas character to become, I assume, to be a Jedi. I think that has to be Luke.

I purposefully haven't read any of the plot from any online source because I would like to be surprised, although I have heard about the Luke part. I suppose its not long now until we find out.

It's really easy to turn to the dark side. All it takes is trying to get kitty. We'd all here join the dark side in an instant.

*Waves fingers accusingly*

Spoilers/theory's about Luke in Return Of The Jedi and the new movie....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rob-conery/luke-skywalker-theory-destroys-everything-star-wars_b_8392698.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Maybe Luke is leader of The Knights Of Ren, and Kylo is his pupil?

Do we really need to spoiler tag this stuff? It's all just random speculation.

You're right, the only people that are reading this thread are speculating about the movie. Unless someone actually posts the entire script, I don't think we need the spoiler tag either.

Spoilers/theory's about Luke in Return Of The Jedi and the new movie....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rob-conery/luke-skywalker-theory-destroys-everything-star-wars_b_8392698.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Maybe Luke is leader of The Knights Of Ren, and Kylo is his pupil?

You're right, the only people that are reading this thread are speculating about the movie. Unless someone actually posts the entire script, I don't think we need the spoiler tag either.

Some good theories in there but I don't buy it. The story writing all along for the original trilogy was a parallel between what happened to Anakin and what was happening to Luke. I don't think it was ever a question that Luke was somewhat heading down the dark side path. He was doing things his father did, Cloud City and at Jabbas, right up until the point where he was willing to kill someone he loved BUT he stopped. He threw down his lightsaber. He didn't give into temptation whereas Anakin did. He didn't kill his father, which a Sith would. He didn't even kill the emperor, his father did, knowing he didn't want his son becoming what he became. Hell, he didn't even kill Jabba, Leia did.

The whole story is written as good vs evil, it completely changes the story to a tragedy about how absolute power corrupts and that people are hopeless to avoid it if Luke is in fact evil. Never mind the fact the entire story of Luke completely turning evil would have happened off screen.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Some good theories in there but I don't buy it. The story writing all along for the original trilogy was a parallel between what happened to Anakin and what was happening to Luke. I don't think it was ever a question that Luke was somewhat heading down the dark side path. He was doing things his father did, Cloud City and at Jabbas, right up until the point where he was willing to kill someone he loved BUT he stopped. He threw down his lightsaber. He didn't give into temptation whereas Anakin did. He didn't kill his father, which a Sith would. He didn't even kill the emperor, his father did, knowing he didn't want his son becoming what he became. Hell, he didn't even kill Jabba, Leia did.

The whole story is written as good vs evil, it completely changes the story to a tragedy about how absolute power corrupts and that people are hopeless to avoid it if Luke is in fact evil. Never mind the fact the entire story of Luke completely turning evil would have happened off screen.

Indeed--if Luke were to turn to the dark side, it would be the worst 180 in the history of story-telling.

He staved off the temptation of the two most powerful force users ever known (Palpatine and Anakin) and managed to turn Anakin back to the light to boot.

Now, after it all ends, he suddenly has some type of revelation and says "Wait, those guys were right! I should totally turn to the dark side."

No.

Indeed--if Luke were to turn to the dark side, it would be the worst 180 in the history of story-telling.

He staved off the temptation of the two most powerful force users ever known (Palpatine and Anakin) and managed to turn Anakin back to the light to boot.

Now, after it all ends, he suddenly has some type of revelation and says "Wait, those guys were right! I should totally turn to the dark side."

No.

I'm not saying that's what should happen, but whoever is saying "I'll finish what you started" sounds like someone close to DV (well, as close as someone can get to a guy like him). And only Luke would have known where he cremated DV 30 years earlier.

I'm not saying that's what should happen, but whoever is saying "I'll finish what you started" sounds like someone close to DV (well, as close as someone can get to a guy like him). And only Luke would have known where he cremated DV 30 years earlier.

Actually that is a pretty logical point to make

Wasn't it on Endor, right below where the second Death Star was destroyed? It couldn't be too hard to track it down if you only have one planet to look on.