Who gets thrown under the bus first?

1B4IDie

Beep Beep Beep !  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Which member of the Bills' staff is the first to lose their job?

So far Whaley has had Morrone's back and Morrone has had his Coordinator's back (Hackett and Crossman)

The way these things play out is the GM puts on pressure to make a coordinator change and the head coach either stands firm and goes down with the ship or sacrifices the coordinator for another year.

Now that the season is over it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

I bet Morrone stands firm and won't fire his little Buddy Hackett and gets **** canned, giving Whaley another year at GM.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Whaley is a fantastic GM and if hes fired Pegula should probably move the team to Toronto or LA or London because hes an idiot and we will continue to suck forever anyway so who cares

Marrone and Hackett should go....

is there ANY WAY that marrone/hackett can get fired in the offseason, and we hire a new head coach but keep Schwartz as DC?

Whaley is a fantastic GM and if hes fired Pegula should probably move the team to Toronto or LA or London because hes an idiot and we will continue to suck forever anyway so who cares

Marrone and Hackett should go....

is there ANY WAY that marrone/hackett can get fired in the offseason, and we hire a new head coach but keep Schwartz as DC?

That is possible but unlikely.

Our Buddy Haslett survived the Shanahans.

I still don't see how people are pegging Whaley as part of the problem. the problems are with Hackett and Marrone. Whaley isn't even on my list of problems with this team.

Whaley I know look what a killer job he has done with the QB position? The o- line too. Signing veteran LG guard scrubs two years in a row. makes one wonder what genius QB move he will make next year a week or two before regular season starts.

The he's from the steelers narrative may have run it's course. For me I am now officially on the bring in the chin bandwagon. GM, coach, consultant whatever. This team needs some football FO talent.

I still don't see how people are pegging Whaley as part of the problem. the problems are with Hackett and Marrone. Whaley isn't even on my list of problems with this team.

I personally don't want Whaley to go but if

Branden puts pressure on Whaley to put pressure on Marrone to **** can his little buddy and Whaley says "no" we need one more year.

Then it becomes a Branden vs Whaley issue.

Again I'm not proposing anything specific just watching this accident happening in slow motion.

The he's from the steelers narrative may have run it's course. For me I am now officially on the bring in the chin bandwagon. GM, coach, consultant whatever. This team needs some football FO talent.

Its a major culture problem with the organization. It is rotten. Suggesting continuity is a joke. We are seeing the same identical pattern as past seasons.

Branden puts pressure on Whaley to put pressure on Marrone to **** can his little buddy and Whaley says "no" we need one more year.

Again I'm not proposing anything specific just watching this accident happening in slow motion.

This I agree with. if Whaley refuses to get ride of Marrone, then Whaley is taking the bullet and he must go as well.

Whaley I know look what a killer job he has done with the QB position? The o- line too. Signing veteran LG guard scrubs two years in a row. makes one wonder what genius QB move he will make next year a week or two before regular season starts.

What's the issue? he drafted a QB that wasn't supposed to start, was supposed to grow and develop behind Kolb and that didn't happen. the OL, how many good LG's were just sitting around waiting to be signed? Not many if any at all. He's made his moves and sticks to his guns on trying to improve the team. Wasn't he the one who pulled off the trade for Hughes?

Brandon spoke out in favor of continuity...

One just has to look at the last 15 years to realize that continuity is a bad idea, sometimes..

I really don't believe that Terry and Kim Pegula can solve the Buffalo puzzle.

The Pegulas have something called 'serious bank'.

No more 'on the cheap' moves for the Bills.

There has been only one constant in the Bills organization since 1996/1997 and that's Brandon. He needs to go. The culture at in the organization needs to change and it starts at the top. Its the "Tone at the Top" theory. Once he goes the new person can bring in or keep the people he wants and the culture will change. Until then we will be the same old Bills.

What's the issue? he drafted a QB that wasn't supposed to start, was supposed to grow and develop behind Kolb and that didn't happen. the OL, how many good LG's were just sitting around waiting to be signed? Not many if any at all. He's made his moves and sticks to his guns on trying to improve the team. Wasn't he the one who pulled off the trade for Hughes?

The issue was his back up plan. meaning he had none. A career QB who made of glass predictably got hurt. walking on a slippery mat no less. After that? Nothing. Not even hiring a QB coach for the rookie kid year one. Very amateur. Then, Playing scrubs behind him as to not upset his "confidence" Even drafting EJ as a "project" at 16 was universally panned. Even by King Polian himself.

The LG position. Well, if you knew for a year Levitre was walking, Where was the backup plan besides dumster diving ( which he did two year in a row). Sorry, Whaley has proved nothing. The Hughes trade? yea, he scored on that by dumb effing luck. it was a swap a bust trade. Don't say he knew Hughes would pan out.

I don't want Marrone to go mostly because I don't want Schwartz to go and it's highly unlikely he stays on if a coaching change is made. With the talent on this D the last thing I want is a 3rd defensive system in 3 years.

Hackett needs to go if he can't quickly get this offense turned around. I'm tired of the excuses or the "the fans don't see what we see" crap. I do see the exact same thing he sees - an offense that can't put up points. Everything else is just an excuse.

Who hired Marrone? Who hired Whaley? Did they just drop out of the sky over OBD and start as HC and GM? Or could it be that, as I suspect, Brandon is behind these moves. It's the same issue that's plagued OBD for years: inferior (and unqualified) senior management making bad decisions on football people, coaches, players, et al.

It remains impossible for the Bills to keep hiring bad coaches without something pointing to management above the coaching level.

And I get that someone will say no one wants to work here, or that they can't be perfect in their decision making, but at some point this organization needs to string together a few good decisions in a row. But with new and younger owners in charge, something at the highest level needs to change. Or else this cycle of failure will continue.

Who hired Marrone? Who hired Whaley? Did they just drop out of the sky over OBD and start as HC and GM? Or could it be that, as I suspect, Brandon is behind these moves. It's the same issue that's plagued OBD for years: inferior (and unqualified) senior management making bad decisions on football people, coaches, players, et al.

It remains impossible for the Bills to keep hiring bad coaches without something pointing to management above the coaching level.

And I get that someone will say no one wants to work here, or that they can't be perfect in their decision making, but at some point this organization needs to string together a few good decisions in a row. But with new and younger owners in charge, something at the highest level needs to change. Or else this cycle of failure will continue.

this x100000

I am so sick of the blaming only the coaches as if they are some sort of outside-all powerful force "He was a Jauron guy" "he was a Gailey guy", etc... while somehow gaining immunity for management to take one step to the left. We also see signs of that with Nix's "retirement". "EJ was a Nix pick".

change the structure/culture and with money in hand they can have any coach available

hard to argue with that.

At least no one can blame it on CJ & the way he can't run the ball !!

This coaching staff has sucked from the get go talk about a experiment ! A college coaching staff trying to make it work in the NFL !!

Hows that working out ??

With Chan's offense we put up points but we had some of the worst Defensive systems ever. With our current D we keep the other teams from racking up points but we can't score much with our current offensive system. I makes sense to bring Chan in as Offensive coordinator.

There has been only one constant in the Bills organization since 1996/1997 and that's Brandon. He needs to go. The culture at in the organization needs to change and it starts at the top. Its the "Tone at the Top" theory. Once he goes the new person can bring in or keep the people he wants and the culture will change. Until then we will be the same old Bills.

I disagree. Brandon was ill equipped for his football related role but is perfectly fine....strong even, in his current role on the business side. The ownership is new and presumably the purse strings will be loosened when it comes to coaching. I like Whaley and think he should stay. It has to be the coach.

I do worry a bit about Pegula being more of a fan than an owner and maybe going to Frank Reich. I like Reich and think he has a chance to be a good HC but is far from a sure thing...he is most definitely a Buffalo favorite, as is Ted Nolan. I'd like to see a Chuck Knox type hire and take a real shot at making something happen. I have a feeling it might just be Cowher. I don't know if it will work or not, but it sure could. There are Pittsburgh roots for both him and DW so that could work and Cowher has to see the fan base and talent on the roster. He just seems to make more sense than anyone else I see out there.

To me it is very clear that Marrone has to be the one to go.

Marrone can keep his job if he can admit Nate Hackett is a young college level coordinator who is in over his head and needs to be replaced asap. If Marrone ties himself to Hackett (he's known to be loyal to his people to a fault) then they are both going down with this ship unfortunately. I know that there has been injuries and instability at QB, but through 4 starting QB's (and a handful of others in the preseason) we have never had anything that remotely resembles a professional level offense that can win games in this league. If you stop drinking the kool-aid and look at the games we have won, we won because of our defense. If we had a halfway decent offense we would be a playoff team and with a good offense we could win it all.

Look at Miami. Philbin was able to admit that Sherman wasn't getting it done as OC so they went to Lazor and now they have an offense that was able to outscore New England and San Diego. If we had a good offensive coordinator then the sky is the limit with this team. If I'm the owner or GM then I'm going to Marrone and saying we need a new OC in here and if Marrone doesn't budge then I start looking for a new head coach as well.

I don't want Marrone to go mostly because I don't want Schwartz to go and it's highly unlikely he stays on if a coaching change is made. With the talent on this D the last thing I want is a 3rd defensive system in 3 years.

Hackett needs to go if he can't quickly get this offense turned around. I'm tired of the excuses or the "the fans don't see what we see" crap. I do see the exact same thing he sees - an offense that can't put up points. Everything else is just an excuse.

I understand this but technically all coaches are under contract so you could force the new HC to keep him. I know it is unlikely but its about time the Bills go against convention and have someone else pick the Coordinators for their HCs. Had a good DC been here of Gailey who know. A good OC for Juroun who knows.

The biggest issue is this team finds reasons to give up in big games. As soon as that Intention Ground call came in anyone paying attention to this team knew they would not recover from that. That is on the HC. He always looks so defeated on the sidelines I am sure that rubs off on the players.

Marrone has to have his team ready to play and make adjustments when necessary. We certainly haven't seen much of the latter. The offense is totally predictable and thus easy to defense. Plus, when things happening offensively, such as Brown chewing up yardage on pass plays, they go away from it. Add Hackett to the equation, and his deficiencies are also on Marrone since the coach keeps Hackett around and clearly abides by his conservative and often puzzling approach. It's the coach everyone; it's his team. And don't blame Whaley. He's done a good job in a brief time bringing in some talented players. And he's just beginning so give him a chance Terry. Above all, make sure he gets rid of McKelvin and Gilmore. Talk about being predictable; i.e. predictably and consistently bad. Also, is there a quarterback that can play hiding outside of the first round? Other teams seem to locate them.

I am pretty much on board with this. Hackett needs to get the issues of red zone and low scoring football games turned around this season.

Marrone will fire him if he is asked to. it might pain him but thats how the game is played.

Next !

I don't think that is true at all. We've had a virtual non-stop turnstile of coaches and QB's. Nothing remotely close to continuity in my book.

Mine either. And this is an issue post season changes. Two years in. Definitely needs tweaking. Rebuild ? not so sure Edited by 3rdand12

answer is so simple, they all go or they all stay, in one shape or form all are responsible, the owner is the only exemption, throwing one under the bus has never really solved anything, if they all leave than owner hires GM, GM hires the coach, coach hires the staff, and all are responsible for team performance, one fails all fail

Edited by rumblefish

Per Pegula Brandon is jot in charge of football operations. Whaley reports directly to Pegula at this point.

You make it sound like every GM in the league has been able to draft successful GB's except us. He's had a plan for QB and for LG, did they work out as well as he expected, no but other moved he's made have worked out better. When you ad dup all the pluses and minuses, there's been more pluses as the roster is much stronger overall now than two years ago. And while agree that QB is the most important one to work out, it's also the one that fails the most for most every team.

Back in 2012 I looked at every team since 1995 when Kelly retired how many starting QB's teams had went through and switched to someone else either because the person did terrible or injury and the new guy played better. (believe that was how Edwards first started) Alot of those teams are considered good stable franchises, with solid front offices, but they too couldn't get the right guy either Look at Pitt, they had five, then in 2002, Big Ben came along and none since, but if they hadn't found him, likely they'd have been through a good ten or so by now too. Packers had two, Farve to Rodgers, NE Bledsoe to Brady and one year of Cassell when Brady got hurt. Once the Colts got Manning they were all set. Giants had six between 1995 and 2004, then one since Eli.

Point is don't think you should judge a GM's success by whether he found a good QB as then they all should be fired.

Hmmm... guess you can't paste a graphic

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch