Updated: The AFC Playoff Picture

For those who think the playoffs are out of reach this point, please note the very possible scenario.

1. Bills win last 3 games (GB is at home coming off Monday night, Oakland is terrible and NE should have the conference locked up for week 17)

2. Remaining 11 teams win at home against AFC contenders and win all games against non-contenders and lose on road games vs NFC Contenders.

End result

NE - MIA (W), @NYJ (W), BUF (L) - 12 wins, conference champs

Den - @SD (L), @CIN (L), OAK (W) - 11 wins, wins West

Ind - HOU (W), @DAL (L), @TEN (W) - 11 wins, wins South

Pit - @ATL (W), KC (W), CIN (W) - 11 wins, wins North

Bal - JAX (W), @HOU (L), CLE (W) - 10 wins, 5/6 cede

Buf - GB (W), @OAK (W), @NE (W) - 10 wins, 5/6 cede

Cin - @CLE (L), DEN (W), @PIT (L) - 9.5 wins

Cle - CIN (W), @CAR (W), @BAL (L) - 9 wins

KC - OAK (W), @PIT (L), SD (W) - 9 wins

SD - DEN (W), @SF(L), @KC (L) - 9 wins

MIA - @NE (L), MIN (W), NYJ (W) - 9 wins

HOU - @IND (L), BAL (W), JAX (W) - 9 wins

Bottom line, this isn't the only scenario, but it is very plausible as many AFC teams are going to cannibalize each other. The Bills just need to win. They beat Green Bay this weekend and they are very alive. They lose, the season is over.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theres actually a scenario that puts the bills in the 6th seed after this weekends games if they beat GB of course

Browns beat Bengals, Jaguars beat Baltimore, Atlanta Beats Pitt, Indy Beats Houston, Chargers or Broncos win (doesnt matter)

Honestly it all seems feasible except for the Jags

People moping (Jerry Sullivan) that the season is over are dead wrong.The bills are very much alive if they can find a way to beat A Rodg and co.

Honestly as long as theres a chance the Bills can make the playoffs heading into NE, I will consider it a playoff game anyways and will be satisfied with this season win or lose becasue the excitement heading into week 17 will be at its highest level this century

Edited by TallskiWallski83

With respect to everyone I am sick and tired of hearing about these week 17 (maybe the pats will rest their guys) scenario.. Yes they will have the division likely wrapped up but they more than likely will not have the #1 seed locked up.. I'm sure they'd prefer to host Manning and the Broncos than to travel back out there for the AFC title game..

If we make the playoffs by winning out, make no mistake about it.. It will be against fully functioning Patriots squad.

GO BILLS

Edited by Bills of Boston

I doubt NE has the converence rapped up. To expect Denver to lose the next two weeks is wishful thinking, not a "very possible senerio" as you call it.

I'd even state there's a much higher probability that we lose to Green Bay, than Denver loses the next two, or eve nthat we lose to Oakland than Denver losing two straight.

That being said, there's also a good chance there are other loses by other teams unexpectedly.

NE should have the conference locked up for week 17)

End result

With respect to everyone I am sick and tired of hearing about these week 17 (maybe the pats will rest their guys) scenario.. Yes they will have the division likely wrapped up but they more than likely will not have the #1 seed locked up.. I'm sure they'd prefer to host Manning and the Broncos than to travel back out there for the AFC title game..

If we make the playoffs, make no mistake about it.. It will be against fully functioning Patriots squad.

GO BILLS

Even if the patriots have #1 locked up their is no doubt in my mind that Belichick will play all his starters against us. New England gets a sick clockwork orangey type of pleasure kicking this **** out of us and I GUARANTEE they would love nothing more than to kick the **** out of us in week 17 and block us from the playoffs.

Not only will all of their guys play but they will play us HARD. If we beat them we will have earned our ticket to playoff land.

Even if the patriots have #1 locked up their is no doubt in my mind that Belichick will play all his starters against us. New England gets a sick clockwork orangey type of pleasure kicking this **** out of us and I GUARANTEE they would love nothing more than to kick the **** out of us in week 17 and block us from the playoffs.

Not only will all of their guys play but they will play us HARD. If we beat them we will have earned our ticket to playoff land.

plus, they tend not to rest starters against anyone

For those who think the playoffs are out of reach this point, please note the very possible scenario.

1. Bills win last 3 games (GB is at home coming off Monday night, Oakland is terrible and NE should have the conference locked up for week 17)

2. Remaining 11 teams win at home against AFC contenders and win all games against non-contenders and lose on road games vs NFC Contenders.

End result

Ind - HOU (W), @DAL (L), @TEN (W) - 11 wins, wins South

Pit - @ATL (W), KC (W), CIN (W) - 11 wins, wins North

Bal - JAX (W), @HOU (L), CLE (W) - 10 wins, 5/6 cede

Buf - GB (W), @OAK (W), @NE (W) - 10 wins, 5/6 cede

Cin - @CLE (L), DEN (W), @PIT (L) - 9.5 wins

Cle - CIN (W), @CAR (W), @BAL (L) - 9 wins

KC - OAK (W), @PIT (L), SD (W) - 9 wins

SD - DEN (W), @SF(L), @KC (L) - 9 wins

MIA - @NE (L), MIN (W), NYJ (W) - 9 wins

HOU - @IND (L), BAL (W), JAX (W) - 9 wins

Bottom line, this isn't the only scenario, but it is very plausible as many AFC teams are going to cannibalize each other. The Bills just need to win. They beat Green Bay this weekend and they are very alive. They lose, the season is over.

Good job breaking it down. It would be nice if we went into New England with the game meaning something. We need a lot of help to get there from other teams, but as everyone on the board knows, we have to win out. One more loss and we are done for 2014.

What if the members of the Ravens, Browns, Bengals and Steelers go on a sight seeing expedition via the RMS Lusitania next week....then our chances go up considerably.

Maybe .. Just maybe ... If we can convince Justin Bieber to go hang with all the teams we need to lose ...

I give the Bills about a 33% chance of beating the Packers at home. If we played that game three times, at home, I think we squeak out a win once. If we beat them, we should be able to squeak out another win at Oakland.

If that happens, it's very, very likely that we will go into the final week with a chance at the playoffs and obviously need a win and some help.

Beating the Patriots on the road is very, very unlikely.

I don't get why you guys are railing on the OP.

I think the list and analysis are great.

Of course it has to assume that we win out-- but at least it shows the math being plausible re. the other teams.

This. All you grumps should just enjoy the fact that you can watch a game this Sunday that still matters. I can't understand how some of you manage to even get out of bed in the morning. Get a grip...it's a game.

This. All you grumps should just enjoy the fact that you can watch a game this Sunday that still matters. I can't understand how some of you manage to even get out of bed in the morning. Get a grip...it's a game.

Well I think that's kinda the point of the "grumps". It doesn't really matter in terms of playoff implications for the Bills. But that doesn't mean that the "grumps" as well as the "non-grumps" can't still enjoy the game. Yes the Bills are still mathematically in it now with more and more improbable scenarios every week. And I have no problem with people who enjoy figuring out the scenarios if they enjoy it. But seriously, very possible? :)

The playoofs are possible. Certainly very possible if we win out. It is not very likely we will beat New England and Green Bay...It is probable that we will beat Oakland. I love the Bills but even I have to admit it would take some unbelievable playing on our part to get to the playoffs. We can hope for some good luck and great play to get us there. But VERY possible? Nah...possible? Okay.