Updated: The AFC Playoff Picture

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are alive for another week, and very likely to be alive in week 17.

We still have one path to a 9-7 playoff spot (without ties and weird stuff), but it isn't likely at all.

Even at 10-6 we need help. But enjoy this big win, and get ready to beat Oakland next week.

While I am very hopeful we go 14-6 winning our next six games, to be in the hunt after dropping the Chiefs and Dolphins games in a span of five days, and to go after our ninth win in Oakland with our hopes very much alive is not a failure.

As exciting as it is to be 8-6 and still in the hunt, I share the sentiments that missing the playoffs is a failure, even with a winning record. Still, at least it's a better failure than past failures. :)

I agree, but it is a step in the right direction, and I do believe they will improve again next year.

Even if buffalo wins next week they could still be eliminated next week.

What does buffalo need....

Win out gorge 10-6 and only one other wilcard team at 10 wins or better. They lose tiebreakers to all:

SD lose today against DEN

9.5. CIN. DEN at PIT--- lose both

9 BAL at HOU cle-- lose at least one

9. PIT. KC. CIN---win both ( for division)

8. KC. At PIT. SD --- split

9. SD. At SF at KC--lose both

If KC beats Pittsburgh....and Baltimore beats Houston....then buffalo is eliminated ( assuming no ties) before they snap the ball at OAK.

Why? KC/SD winner is assured of 10 wins and Baltimore has 10 wins, and PIT/CIN winner is assured of 10 wins

Edited by djp14150

I don't think this is accurate.

Your saying if KC and Baltimore win next week we are eliminated?

Assuming no ties...yes

KC and SD both at 9 wins and play each other in week 17 thus 10 wins

Baltimore wins they have 10 wins

PZiT/CIN winner will have 10 wins or more

So buffalo is ties with 2 other teams at 10 wins and they lose tiebreakers to all based in conferencecrecord, and other tuebreakers

Okay..... for us to get in we must win out - no question. There is a scenario of realistic results that gets us in at 10-6.

Pittsburgh win out (beating Kansas City and Cinci)

Ravens win out (beating Houston and Cleveland)

Kansas City lose out (to Pittsburgh and San Diego)

Cinci lose out (to Denver and Pittsburgh)

San Diego lose the next 2 (Denver now and 49ers next week)

The most unrealistic result in there is us beating New England. There is still some hope. Billieve.

I agree, but it is a step in the right direction, and I do believe they will improve again next year.

Really the offense can't get much worse, can it?

Hopefully our D is this good next year. I might change my opinion from "good" to "elite" pretty soon. :o

A Pittsburgh loss would have helped and a Cleveland win would have helped. Cleveland had some tiebreaker edges in sorting teams in the division where they could end up in 2nd thus buffalo benefiting.

Had Pittsburgh lost then they could behave done a chain loses among teams that eliminated each other where PI.t beat beat KC, KC beat SD, and CIB beat PIT....then PITmax at 9 wins and KC max at 9 wins....both below buffalo.

Bills win tiebreaker over Baltimore.

Which one?????

Both BUF and BAL went 4-0 against NzfC so it goes to common games

Common opponents are MIA, CLE, SD, and HOU

Buffalo went WL, W, L,L for 2-3

BAL has best CLE and MIA and lost to SD for 2-1.. Last 2 are common games..they split it's 3-2

Okay..... for us to get in we must win out - no question. There is a scenario of realistic results that gets us in at 10-6.

Pittsburgh win out (beating Kansas City and Cinci)

Ravens win out (beating Houston and Cleveland)

Kansas City lose out (to Pittsburgh and San Diego)

Cinci lose out (to Denver and Pittsburgh)

San Diego lose the next 2 (Denver now and 49ers next week)

The most unrealistic result in there is us beating New England. There is still some hope. Billieve.

Under this scenario Pittsburgh win division, Baltimore wild card at 11-5 SD by beating KC is at 10 wins but buffalo lose H2H tiebreaker.

A Pittsburgh loss would have helped and a Cleveland win would have helped. Cleveland had some tiebreaker edges in sorting teams in the division where they could end up in 2nd thus buffalo benefiting.

Had Pittsburgh lost then they could behave done a chain loses among teams that eliminated each other where PI.t beat beat KC, KC beat SD, and CIB beat PIT....then PITmax at 9 wins and KC max at 9 wins....both below buffalo.

Which one?????

Both BUF and BAL went 4-0 against NzfC so it goes to common games

Common opponents are MIA, CLE, SD, and HOU

Buffalo went WL, W, L,L for 2-3

BAL has best CLE and MIA and lost to SD for 2-1.. Last 2 are common games..they split it's 3-2

Under this scenario Pittsburgh win division, Baltimore wild card at 11-5 SD by beating KC is at 10 wins but buffalo lose H2H tiebreaker.

If Baltimore and Pittsburgh end up tied, they break ties within the division first, so we'd only likely have to beat out one of those teams if we end up with the same record...

If Baltimore and Pittsburgh end up tied, they break ties within the division first, so we'd only likely have to beat out one of those teams if we end up with the same record...

Buffalo went 4-0 against the NFC vs PIT going 2-2.. They lose tie breaker to Pittsburgh tied at 10 wins.

They lose to KC ann SD due to head to head loses

They lose to Baltimore at 10-6 due to common game record.

PIT and BAL win out then PI.t has the tiebreaker of division record. If PIT went WL and BALwent LW thus tied for division record, then BAL has common games record tue breaker. IF BAL went WL then division record edge goes to PIT in tie breakers.

Edited by djp14150

No San Diego is at 9 wins. They are 8-5 I have them losing to Denver and 49ers.... that makes them 8-7 going into the final game.

In my scenario Buffalo is the only 10-6 team which I agree with you is the only way it gets them in.

Edited by GunnerBill

No San Diego is at 9 wins. They are 8-5 I have them losing to Denver and 49ers.... that makes them 8-7 going into the final game.

In my scenario Buffalo is the only 10-6 team which I agree with you is the only way it gets them in.

I had them at 9 wins...my error.

Which could be the case if SD wins this afternoon.