Updated: The AFC Playoff Picture

Nope. My friend, just google espn playoff machine and play with a little. Green Bay and Jax do not need to win in week 17. I wouldn't waste too much time looking at conference records, strength of schedule, etc. Let espn do it for you, and correctly at that!

yeah....that's exactly what i did. The reason it matters is the strength of victory tiebreaker. Go ahead and fill it in the way we said then mess around with different combinations of chicago, minnesota, green bay, detroit, miami, jets, houston and jacksonville. Watch what happens. Depending on the outcomes it changes that last tiebreaker slightly, it also matters how you have the rest of week 16 set. It's not neat the way you're describing my friend. Edited by DJasper Probincrux III

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah....that's exactly what i did. The reason it matters is the strength of victory tiebreaker. Go ahead and fill it in the way we said then mess around with different combinations of chicago, minnesota, green bay, detroit, miami, jets, houston and jacksonville. Watch what happens. Depending on the outcomes it changes that last tiebreaker slightly, it also matters how you have the rest of week 16 set. It's not neat the way you're describing my friend.

I'm not sure how you're setting it, but I simply chose the default setting of power rankings. Then I made week 16 your "doomsday" scenario, with Pittsburgh, Cincy, San Diego and Baltimore all winning (along with the Bills winning of course). Then in week 17 I give the Bills the win, and Balt, San Diego, and Cincy all losses. In this scenario the Bills make the playoffs, regardless of the outcome of the Jax game, the GB game, or any other game.

Sorry if this was mentioned elsewhere, but...

If the Bills win next week at OAK, is there any way they can still be eliminated from the playoffs? Just wondering if a win next week ensures that the finale in NE will carry some meaning.

I have not seen this officially reported/confirmed anywhere, but according to my (rather obsessive) tinkering with the ESPN playoff machine, if the Bills beat the Raiders then they will go into week 17 alive and kickin'.

The Ravens have no bearing on our playoff chances. The only thing we need to happen is:

1.We win out

2.Pittsburgh wins out

3.Bengals lose out

4.Chargers and Chiefs each lose one game

The Ravens can win out and it doesn't matter

There are not any individual games that we need one outcome in. There are lots of ways for us to get in at 10-6.

Also there are still some paths in at 9-7, but only if a lot goes our way.

If we lose to the Raiders, we are eliminated unless Cleveland beats the Panthers, Denver beats Bengals, Chiefs beat Steelers, Niners beat Chargers (all things we want to root for anyway)

But if we can't beat the 2-12 Raiders when it counts, we don't deserve to even talk about playoffs. I have a feeling we will do fine next week and get to talk about this up until the final minutes of the season.

What do you think? In the future, keep divisional races, but if there is a team that wins, the NFC South this year with a losing record, add third wold card and no team from that division makes playoffs. Strong possibility that an 11-5 or 10-6 NFC team doesn't make playoffs. Like 10-6 AZ in 2011, NE a few years ago, too.

every year in week 15 or so it sounds impossible and everyone says you'll probably need to win 11

then some 9-7 team gets in....

I think at 10-6 the chances are pretty good things will break our way! It is possible that Bills/Pats* gets flexed also, especially if the Bills control their own destiny and New England* is playing for the #1 seed

Edited by TheFunPolice

The most realistic scenario would be Pit winning out, SD losing at least one more, KC losing one more(obvious with Pit winning) and Cincinnati losing out.

If that happens and we win out we are in with the Ravens and us being the wild cards.

Yep. That is our most realistic chance IMO, and that is what my calculations are based on. Just win next week..... put it all on that New England game.

Sorry to stray from topic, but the NFCSouth is wild... Is it possible that 7-9 wins the NFCSouth... Or even worse, what happens if they finish 6-10! Would that be wild! I haven't looked @ the scheduling.

Actually, 10-6 has always been respectable. Didn't the Bills win the AFCEast a few times with that record?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

As far as I can see:

1. Bills have to win out

2. SD and KC must lose a game

3. Either Pittsburgh or Baltimore must lose

I think that's correct as we lost heads up to both SD and KC and those 6 conference losses are killers with Baltimore and Pittsburgh for tiebreakers.

As far as I can see:

1. Bills have to win out

I think that's correct as we lost heads up to both SD and KC and those 6 conference losses are killers with Baltimore and Pittsburgh for tiebreakers.

Number 3 should be Pitt or Baltimore or Cinci lose out. I think Cinci are the most likely.

As far as I can see:

1. Bills have to win out

I think you could also add the Bengals losing out to your scenario. If Buffalo goes 2-0, Pittsburgh goes 2-0 or 1-1, and Cinci goes 0-2 they're out at 9-6-1.

Looks like Manziel and Fitz are gonna crush us. The Bills need Baltimore to lose a game. Fitz because he is out and Houston won't beat Balt with their 3rd stringer. Manziel isn't walking into Baltimore in week 17 and beating the Ravens based on what we saw yesterday.

What do you think? In the future, keep divisional races, but if there is a team that wins, the NFC South this year with a losing record, add third wold card and no team from that division makes playoffs. Strong possibility that an 11-5 or 10-6 NFC team doesn't make playoffs. Like 10-6 AZ in 2011, NE a few years ago, too.

Didn't this happen even more recently with the Pats and Dolphins. Both ended 11-5 and the Dolphins got in but NE didn't.

Of course I didn't read far enough....

Edited by The Wiz

Looks like Manziel and Fitz are gonna crush us. The Bills need Baltimore to lose a game. Fitz because he is out and Houston won't beat Balt with their 3rd stringer. Manziel isn't walking into Baltimore in week 17 and beating the Ravens based on what we saw yesterday.

He had a rough first outing which isn't unusual for a rookie. Id expect him to improve, it's really the rest of that team I'm more concerned about holding up their end of the bargain. The reason he was in there is because the offense wasn't doing squat with hoyer, offenses were running all over them, and they were losing games.

Edited by JTSP

He had a rough first outing which isn't unusual for a rookie. Id expect him to improve, it's really the rest of that team I'm more concerned about holding up their end of the bargain. The reason he was in there is because the offense wasn't doing squat with hoyer, offenses were running all over them, and they were losing games.

If he wants to improve he will have to make throws from the pocket. You can jazz up playing QB in the NFL all you like.... if you cannot stand in the pocket, go trhough your progressions and throw it to the right guy you will not succeed long term. See how Wilson and Luck have continued to perform and Kaepernick and RGIII haven't.

I had that doubt on Manziel coming out, but I actually thought having sat might have helped from that respect - he has a long way yet to go from yesterday's evidence.... so I don't expect Cleveland to help us down the stretch.