Updated: The AFC Playoff Picture

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like they did to me ... not that it will matter in the end, but the Bills did all they could do this week.

"Beat Green Bay 21-13, playoff odds up 1.7 to 6.2%"

Last week winning out gave us like a ~38% chance to get in. Now down to only 27% if we win out :cry:

If the Bengals, Ravens, and Steelers all win next week we are out.

I'm not sure why you guys think we have the tie-breaker on Ravens. We do not. If they finish 10-6 they will have us on tie-breaker #3, best win% vs common opponents. They will be 3-2 while we are 2-3 vs Mia, Cle, Hou, and SD.

Mark, you are correct. I was blindly following the results shown by the ESPN playoff machine, but it does not take into account record vs. common opponents. Bummer.

I heard on WGR today that I believe if Chargers, Chiefs and Ravens win we are out, even before the Raiders game begins. Other than if ties happen, which never do. All of those games happen before the 4pm sunday game. This is because in final week, there would be no way not to have 3 teams at 10-6, because teams at 9-6 play each other in final week, and someone has to win.

Nope, if the Chiefs, Chargers, and Ravens win Sunday, we are still alive (try it in the playoff machine):

If we win out, and week 17 Browns beat Ravens there are a lot of scenarios where we are in.

There are plenty of scenarios and they start to get confusing, but in almost all of them, the Bills beat the Raiders. There are very few absolutes after that because there are still tons of combinations and tons of head to heads. The head to heads really work in our favor, because regardless of which way most of them go, either outcome tends to open another door elsewhere.

The one game we have a clear rooting interest in no matter what is the Niners beating the Chargers. If the Chargers win we have no 9-7 scenario at all (and have some of our 10-6 options blocked too). Other than that one, I'm going to save most of my rooting energy for week 17, even though there are a bunch of games we *probably* prefer to go one way or the other.

Mark, you are correct. I was blindly following the results shown by the ESPN playoff machine, but it does not take into account record vs. common opponents. Bummer.

yeah we don't have tie breakers on anyone in contention. Even if we run the table, any other 10-6 team beats us out. Simple as that I bleive

Nope, if the Chiefs, Chargers, and Ravens win Sunday, we are still alive (try it in the playoff machine):

If we win out, and week 17 Browns beat Ravens there are a lot of scenarios where we are in.

There are plenty of scenarios and they start to get confusing, but in almost all of them, the Bills beat the Raiders. There are very few absolutes after that because there are still tons of combinations and tons of head to heads. The head to heads really work in our favor, because regardless of which way most of them go, either outcome tends to open another door elsewhere.

The one game we have a clear rooting interest in no matter what is the Niners beating the Chargers. If the Chargers win we have no 9-7 scenario at all (and have some of our 10-6 options blocked too). Other than that one, I'm going to save most of my rooting energy for week 17, even though there are a bunch of games we *probably* prefer to go one way or the other.

You are incorrect, we cannot make if those teams win next week. We also cannot make it if all 3 AFC North teams win next week. The playoff machine is not handling the #4 tie breaker correctly, win% vs common opponents. That is where Baltimore has us.

yeah we don't have tie breakers on anyone in contention. Even if we run the table, any other 10-6 team beats us out. Simple as that I bleive

Yep.

Edited by Mark80

The most likely scenario that I've found so far is for us to win out (obviously), and Cincy to lose out. They have Denver and Pittsburgh, so that is certainly possible. San Diego and KC need to split their remaining games to both finish 9-7. Note that they play eachother week 17 so if they both win next week we're screwed.

The most likely scenario that I've found so far is for us to win out (obviously), and Cincy to lose out. They have Denver and Pittsburgh, so that is certainly possible. San Diego and KC need to split their remaining games to both finish 9-7. Note that they play eachother week 17 so if they both win next week we're screwed.

Exactly, unless two AFC North teams lose out. Since one must be Baltimore (as Cincy and PItt play week 17) and they have Cleveland and Houston left, this scenario is very unlikely.

IF Pittsburgh, Houston, and San Francisco win next week (notice the big IF), we should move into the sixth seed. Then we'd just have to beat New England to control our destiny.

There is no scenario where we control our own destiny going in to week 17. None, zero, zilch.

If what you are saying happens we could still be eliminated with a win vs Pats and wins by Baltimore and Cincy in week 17. Cincy would win division and Baltimore and Pittsburgh would be Wild Cards.

Edited by Mark80

Looking like a tough equation for us. I guess we may need to be happy with 10-6 and beating Pats there to end the season. then I will curse the fumble at the one in the KC game all off season.

It really isnt that tough of an equation for us. SD plays at San Fran and then at KC, they could very easily lose 1 if not both games. KC plays at Pitt and that could easily be their one loss, assuming they beat SD. Cincy plays vs Den and then at Pitt, I can easily see them losing both of those games, especially with how poorly Dalton has been playing. The toughest part of the equation is the Bills winning at NE, especially if they play their starters all game.