Updated: The AFC Playoff Picture

Agreed, it's not crazy at all. In fact, I think it's rather likely that if we win out we would make the playoffs. The one thing that kinda sucks is that we need Denver to beat Cincinnati, meaning that New England would have to beat us to clinch homefield. I just don't see Kyle Orton going into Gillette stadium and outdueling Tom Brady in a game the Patriots need to have. Maybe Spiller will provide a spark.

The *pats will play to win and play everyone regardless of whether they need it or not. So don't worry about this scenario, it's going to be a real game no matter what.

And that's how it should be. I don't want to beat the second string *pats, I want to beat the starters on their home field and send them to a one and done in the playoffs.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like our chances if Pittsburgh and Denver win this week. Relying on Baltimore to lose 2 is super improbable. Bengals have the best chance at finishing 0-2. Hopefully San Francisco pulls off the upset.

Even if San Fran doesnt win this over week SD, doesnt that just mean that we need KC to beat them at home the following week? I dont see why the San Fran-SD game is that big of a deal?

This is false if the Bills win out and the Ravens lose 1 more we will own the tie breaker. Due to the same conference record with us having the strength of schedule tie breaker. As I understand it.

You understand it incorrectly. The win% vs common opponents is a higher tie breaker than both strength of victory and strength of schedule. All you need to do is click on the link that I provided to read it straight from the NFL. But, that's OK, I'll just repeat it, again.

Would two more AFC wins- us beating Oakland and New England- while others losing in the AFC make a difference when all is said and done?

No, the only team we could possibly win any tie-breaker with that is still technically alive are the Browns.

Even if San Fran doesnt win this over week SD, doesnt that just mean that we need KC to beat them at home the following week? I dont see why the San Fran-SD game is that big of a deal?

Yes, if KC loses week 16 first. Otherwise, KC would have us beat via the Head to Head tie breaker.

Pittsburgh would beat KC & Cin if they win out. They'd knock them both out. The playoffs would be Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Buffalo, NE, Denver and Indy.

Yes, sorry, forgot they were playing each other week 16.

Yes, if KC loses week 16 first. Otherwise, KC would have us beat via the Head to Head tie breaker.

Yes, sorry, forgot they were playing each other week 16.

Yea I was just assuming that Pitt would crush KC this week at home. If that happens, then the SD-San Fran game on saturday night isnt really that big of a deal. But since I guess SD plays first, it would be nice to get them to their 7th loss and make that one less team that we have to worry about in our playoff quest.

Because then you are counting on the chiefs beating the chargers week 17 to get in. If San Fran, Pitt and Denver win then our odds go up dramatically.

Provided the Bills win out, if three of the following five scenarios play out, Buffalo would end the NFL's longest streak of consecutive seasons without a playoff appearance at 14.

Cincinnati (9-4-1) loses its remaining two games, against Denver and at Pittsburgh.

Baltimore (9-5) loses its remaining two games, against Houston and against Cleveland.

Pittsburgh (9-5) loses its remaining two games, against Kansas City and against Cincinnati.

Kansas City (8-6) loses one of its remaining two games, at Pittsburgh and against San Diego.

San Diego (8-6) loses one of its remaining two games, at San Francisco and at Kansas City.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/bills-cant-worry-about-postseason-status-20141215

Edited by papazoid

Finally someone who knows what they heck they are talking about!

On a side note, the "Machine" seems to be fixed now.

I think you will find some of us were saying about 10 pages back that the only way the Bills get in is if they get to 10 wins and only 1 of the other wild card contenders (once you have discounted the AFC North champs) gets 10 or more wins.

The most unlikely element of the scenario we need is the Bills beating New England. I'll go out on a limb here..... if we make 10 wins we will get in. I've actually suggested for a few weeks that no 10 win team would miss out in the AFC because there were so many match ups between contenders down the stretch.

I think you will find some of us were saying about 10 pages back that the only way the Bills get in is if they get to 10 wins and only 1 of the other wild card contenders (once you have discounted the AFC North champs) gets 10 or more wins.

The most unlikely element of the scenario we need is the Bills beating New England. I'll go out on a limb here..... if we make 10 wins we will get in. I've actually suggested for a few weeks that no 10 win team would miss out in the AFC because there were so many match ups between contenders down the stretch.

Yeah, that wasn't a blanket statement, but a majority of the posters just couldn't get a handle on us not having the tie-breaker with the Ravens and their justification was "well that's what ESPN's Playoff Machine said."

I agree with you and others, if we get up to 10 wins, the pieces will fall into place...they better! I mean, how much of a kick in the balls would it be if we made it to 10 beating the Pats on the road and don't get in? Brutal.