Updated: The AFC Playoff Picture

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they can shut down Manning and Rodgers, then why not? The one caveat is how do they deal with Gronk?

Because The Bills rarely play Rodgers or Manning. On the other hand, they play Tom Brady and Bill Bellichick twice a year every year. They've proven for a decade and a half that they can gameplan to completely dominate whatever roster the Bills have on the field and pull out a win. Brady's career record against the Bills is like 23-2. Also, they haven't lost a conference game at home in almost like 7 years.

Because The Bills rarely play Rodgers or Manning. On the other hand, they play Tom Brady and Bill Bellichick twice a year every year. They've proven for a decade and a half that they can gameplan to completely dominate whatever roster the Bills have on the field and pull out a win. Brady's career record against the Bills is like 23-2. Also, they haven't lost a conference game at home in almost like 7 years.

They're due for a loss. Why not the Bills?

I'm glad we beat GB. it was impressive.

But does anyone here really think we're going to beat the Pats in NE?

Not this weekend we aren't. We are going to try to beat the Raiders first.

After that we will have as many as four straight need to win games on the road against very good teams before the Super Bowl. If we come up short to the Patriots or in the wild card game or the divisional playoffs or the AFC championship I will be disappointed after that happens, but beating the Raiders is all that stands between us and effectively starting the playoffs a week early and not playing any meaningless football all season.

We know Belichick doesn't rest his starters, etc. We also know that the game could very well matter enormously to them and decide the location of the AFC championship game. So we know that we won't have an easy time of it. But after limiting Manning and Rodgers, I'm pretty sure this defense is ready to take on Brady and if a couple plays go our way on special teams and offense there isn't any reason an upset can't happen like when the 16-0 Pats played the 9-7 Giants.

I don't think Kyle Orton wins a Super Bowl this year, and I think beating the Patriots in week 17 is a tough thing, just like beating Andrew Luck in the Wild Card game the following week would be, or the Patriots or Broncos in the divisional playoffs the week after that. But getting a chance to play one or more of those games and see what happens is awesome.

Why not? Is there some written rule I'm not aware of which states the Pats will win at home for eternity?

Past success is not a guarentee of future results. It's like the 3.5% odds to make the playoffs we keep seeing. It only serves to demoralize and turn the fanbase in on itself.

We can win this game, but first lets go to oakland and take care of business.

Edited by What a Tuel

isn't it 2 of cin/bal & pit needs to lose 2 along with 1 loss by each of kc/sd

Assuming KC + SD lose one each

Cincinatti - 2-0

Pittsburgh - 1-1

Baltimore - 1-1

We don't get in.

Cincinatti - 1-1

Pittsburgh - 1-1

Baltimore - 2-0

We don't get in.

Cincinatti - 1-1

Pittsburgh - 2-0

Baltimore - 1-1

We get in

We are really rooting for Pittsburgh.

Or else we will need to rely on two of the AFC North teams losing 2 games like you describe.

Or this situation

Edited by What a Tuel

This low % that they are giving us for making the playoffs - I would assume that that is because the Gods who are figuring this out are giving us little chance of beating the Patriots?

If so, is there a % out there of us getting in, assuming we win our next two? (Which is the whole point, to me.)

There is no scenario where we control our own destiny going in to week 17. None, zero, zilch.

If what you are saying happens we could still be eliminated with a win vs Pats and wins by Baltimore and Cincy in week 17. Cincy would win division and Baltimore and Pittsburgh would be Wild Cards.

Well that is just what the ESPN playoff machine said.

For everyone who keeps posting that we get in over the Ravens with the same record...IT IS NOT TRUE. The ESPN playoff machine, which everyone seems to point to and use does not do the tie breaker with the Ravens properly. They have the tie breaker over us based on win% vs common opponents. SOV, which ESPN is utilizing, is the tie breaker right after that.

The only team that we could potentially win a tie-breaker over is the Cleveland Browns and it isn't going to come down to that, you can put that in the bank. We lose Tie Breaker to SD, KC, PIT, CIN, and BAL. KC and SD because of head to head, PIT and CIN because of AFC record, Baltimore because of win % vs common opponents.

I'm putting this in it's own thread so everyone can see it and they don't have to keep posting about it in the other threads.

Link to rule on nfl.com:

http://www.nfl.com/s...akingprocedures

If anyone can prove to me otherwise without saying "that's what ESPN playoff machine" says, then I will be very, very impressed.

Edited by Mark80

Edit: The ESPN playoff machine seems to be working properly now, I can no longer get a situation to show the Bills at #6 while the Ravens are out of the playoffs with the same 10-6 record (or any other team at 10-6 for that matter).

Edited by Mark80