Updated: The AFC Playoff Picture

I was told when I was young that in these situations just take care of your own house and things tend to workout. Just win this Sunday for starters!BTW, I would estimate the chances of winning all three games at between 4-8%. So like I said, win first. Some want to give up or are non-believers, good thing The Giants didn't think like some of you!

Green Bay has a great offense, but so-so defense. If the Bills defense can keep it tight, may be the 12th man will help us win this game. Are Hackett and Orton up to the task. One year we asked the same question to Drew Bledsoe and he failed miserabley losing to the Steelers at home.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess you may have noticed, most of the board is glass 3/4 to 9/10 empty! :lol: Me, on the other hand, I like having a meaningful game against a good team to look forward to on Sunday. Been a fan since 1971 when I was 8,and I'll continue to support the team through thick and thin.

Right there with you. Love the progress that is being made this year. Bring on Green Bay

During the magical run in 04 there was almost no scenario that would get us in with weeks to go. Then the seas began to part and we were in if we only beat the steelers at home when they sat their starters.

Freaking Willie Parker........

Green Bay has a great offense, but so-so defense. If the Bills defense can keep it tight, may be the 12th man will help us win this game. Are Hackett and Orton up to the task. One year we asked the same question to Drew Bledsoe and he failed miserabley losing to the Steelers at home.

I was at fhat game, the Steelers third string knocked the snot out of us

Theres actually a scenario that puts the bills in the 6th seed after this weekends games if they beat GB of course

Browns beat Bengals, Jaguars beat Baltimore, Atlanta Beats Pitt, Indy Beats Houston, Chargers or Broncos win (doesnt matter)

Honestly it all seems feasible except for the Jags

People moping (Jerry Sullivan) that the season is over are dead wrong.The bills are very much alive if they can find a way to beat A Rodg and co.

Honestly as long as theres a chance the Bills can make the playoffs heading into NE, I will consider it a playoff game anyways and will be satisfied with this season win or lose becasue the excitement heading into week 17 will be at its highest level this century

I ran a bunch of different scenerios in that playoff tracker, & everytime I put the Bills at 10 wins they got in except one time when Pittsburgh knocked them out for the 6th seed. My point is chances are if the Bills get to 10 wins my guess is they will be in. I am also guessing that no team in the first round(assuming Denver/NE get the byes) will want to play them.

Unlikely, but hopeful.

Too many weak spots. Other teams have very good players also, we fooled ourselves into thinking we had all the talent early. Overall, without some marginal plays and officiating problems, we'd be there in the final six.

Our expectations were too high. Too many glaring holes with average talent. They tried hard, under microscopic evaluations is very tough. Look at you being exposed before millions on replays.

Wouldn't be a happy site.

One more time Bills

Boy you are right about their offense. Actually, with Rodgers playing how he is they are downright frightening. Having said that, we have a strong defense that can put pressure on him and we are a home dog in a meaningful game. Go Bills!

Yup. People always bring up we got killed by back-ups, which was true. But the main assassin was Parker who turned into a very good if not great player for many years.

an unknown James Harrison also was part of that "3rd string crew" and scored a touchdown that day. Actually many of the players that day went on to play and star in a super bowl win for the Steelers. Parker, Randle El, Hines Ward, Larry Foote, Troy Polamalu, and Ike Taylor all played in that game. At the time it stunk but in hindsight that was a pretty good team.

If it's the Bills I know, they will narrowly beat GB in a hard fought game, then lose in grand fashion at Oakland. As a long time fan I just about expect that to happen.

I was scared of this prior to the game against Denver b/c I thought we'd get beat a little worst against them, and come out at home fired up and steal a close one to GB, and somehow blow it traveling out West.

Now I'm scared we might get blown out after a demoralizing lose at Denver.

Last thought... I said I'd be thrilled with 3-1 over the last quarter, and we still have a chance, and if that happens I'd give us a better than average chance at playoffs!

an unknown James Harrison also was part of that "3rd string crew" and scored a touchdown that day. Actually many of the players that day went on to play and star in a super bowl win for the Steelers. Parker, Randle El, Hines Ward, Larry Foote, Troy Polamalu, and Ike Taylor all played in that game. At the time it stunk but in hindsight that was a pretty good team.

Thanks for that. I didnt realize all of those guys.

Did anyone realize we led that game into the fourth quarter, out gained and out first downed the Steelers and were 9.5 point favorites? I sure didn't. I remember that game as the Bills being completely dominated from beginning to end. Guess my memory is fading!

I watched that game in a chain restaurant in the Pittsburgh area - stopped there while driving back from Buffalo to home in NC. That was a long rest of the ride home...

AFC Playoff Picture: Who takes the North?

A sixth loss is not a killer

We keep hearing exasperated fans say that the "season is over" after every loss. Any AFC team that has yet to reach seven losses is not only alive but has a good chance to make the playoffs if it can get to 10 wins.

Go through the remaining schedules for most of the contenders. There are few easy slates and a lot of matchups against one another. There's a reason why all of these teams are 8-5 and 7-6. They haven't been consistent enough to put together long winning streaks. To put it another way: There will be a lot of losses down the stretch from the contenders, and we suspect that few of these teams even get to 10 wins. It wouldn't be that shocking if a nine-win team got into the playoffs, although we're a long way from that possibility.

In short, don't give up until that seventh loss!

I ran different scenarios and found that the Bills would still have a shot to make the playoffs if they were to finish 9-7 (assuming they only dropped one of their two big games left against GB & NE). Obviously the Bills would have much better odds if they were to win out, but reallistically they can still afford to lose one more game if each of the other AFC playoff contenders follow these scenarios:

Bengals (8-4-1)- Would have to lose all three remaining games against CLE, DEN and BAL to finish 8-7-1. This seems entirely possible with two of those games on the road, and assuming the Manziel-led Browns win at home this week.

Chargers (8-5)- Would also have to lose all three remaining games to finish 8-8. They host DEN this week which will be a big game, then they travel to SF and KC. I believe they're too good to not win at least one more game. But, you never know.

Chiefs (7-6)- Would have to lose to both OAK and PIT the next two weeks and then beat SD at home in Week 17 to finish 8-8. The Raiders winning on the road this week would be huge.

Dolphins (7-6)- Would have to lose at NE this week and then split their final two games against MIN and NYJ to finish 8-8. They do own the tie-breaker against us.

Texans (7-6)- Would have to lose next two games against IND and BAL to finish 8-8 at best.

As I'm sure it's been mentioned before, both the Steelers and Ravens winning out would give the Bills their best shot. Both of these teams currently have the edge on the rest of the AFC North. I know, it's a major stretch to hope that all of these teams finish .500 and see the Bills sneak in at 9-7. But our chances would go up significantly this week if...

We beat the Packers at home + a KC loss + a CIN loss + a SD loss = Suddenly we're right back in the hunt

Edited by Wesdawg